Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The same one that ended with Robespierre’s la terreur and Napoleon and then back to a monarchy within the span of 3 decades? That‘s a rather bleak definition of a “true” revolution with little in the way of permanent regime change.
Yep, and after that no more monarchy. I wouldn’t be too snide talking about them when you’re being ruled by emperor-wannabe Xi If I were you.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
That means not everyone should be given a chance to vote, in order to protect the intellectual integrity of the result. This would solve the problem and we would have an efficient and effective government.
And that has nothing to do with bee or ants so your analogy is kinda .. umm.. low quality.
The analogy of ants and bees will be relevant in this topic for only one thing, that you confess your love to be ruled like an animal. That’s why you think human should be like them.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
HK was successful because China needed HK to trade with the world,
? Oh my... someone who lives in the cave just show up.

Hong Kong was well prospered long before China has open up. That's why they don't need YOU .. and don't LIKE you.

In fact let's look at the map, shall we? Looks at all neighbors around China. Apart from North Korea who really LIKES you?

None.

Last edited:

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
Sometimes , Chinese goverment does something so stupid that it went full circle and actually makes sense!

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
? Oh my... someone who lives in the cave just show up.

Hong Kong was well prospered long before China has open up. That's why they don't need YOU .. and don't LIKE you.

In fact let's look at the map, shall we? Looks at all neighbors around China. Apart from North Korea who really LIKES you?

None.
Hongkong was used by the British as a trading port for silk, porcelain, and of course opium, and that is how Hongkong got rich initially. Later it fed upon refugees from the mainland, and banking services and some manufacturing after the Japanese occupation during WWII. It was one of few entries to the Mainland at the time, and it has always served as a bridge between China and the West. Nowadays that status has waned as Mainland cities have thrived, but it is nevertheless very dependent on China for its business.

That is also true for Singapore, another city state that has always had a close relationship with China, and which is in fact a political role model for China (it is a free but not fair democracy, or a semi-autocratic system).

As for other neighbors, China maintains great relations with all but Japan and India. Skirmishes pop up from time to time, but they are outweighed by trade and other exchanges. Nobody in the region is prepared to ally with the US and lose out on the opportunities that China brings.

Half of Thailand's population is practically Chinese, while Vietnam has been a Chinese vassal state for millennia. South Korea and China are also tight buddies and have a common foe in Japan. Mongolia, as former part of China, is also very close.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
哈!This is simply not true…
Well, that was my impression while living in China.

Maybe socioeconomic levels play a role as well. The upper-middle-class and above, at least, don't do that sort of thing.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
There are actual communists in China. This is true. They have authoritarianism in common with silicon valley, but not much else I think.
Define Communists and Communism.

I no longer know your definition. I think you are just lumping "whoever is not on our side" or "whoever the bad guy is" as "Commies".

I would define Communism based on Das Kapital and The Communist Manifesto.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Well, that was my impression while living in China.

Maybe socioeconomic levels play a role as well. The upper-middle-class and above, at least, don't do that sort of thing.
You've never been to any of those karaoke mega palaces? They are the equivalent of our bars, but they are a bit wilder…

OK, so you will find some students and young people who are inexperienced and naive, but youth in general are rather refined and kinky these days. Things change fast in China, and this is why they have these rectification campaigns.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
You've never been to any of those karaoke mega palaces? They are the equivalent of our bars, but they are a bit wilder…

OK, so you will find some students and young people who are inexperienced and naive, but youth in general are rather refined and kinky these days. Things change fast in China, and this is why they have these rectification campaigns.
I have while travelling, did not go in, those are quite ghetto (but very expensive sometimes), loud, gangster and low-life though. Generally, people in those bars are not the type I would associate myself with.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
That’s hilarious. “The government” requires your kids to spend 13 years of their most formative years in government schools.

You’re not required to be in government schools, private schools and homeschooling are also options.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
What did I make up?

Covid CFR is not anywhere near 5%. It’s not even 0.5%.

You’re the one posting wildly inaccurate info.

I’m the one posting sources with facts. I already posted my source about the mortality rate: https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid

Most developed countries are within 1%-2%… with the US being near 2%. I used 1% in my calculation to be conservative - and it still shows that the vaccine would save 3M lives.

Even if you use 0.5%… there would still be 1.65M deaths without a vaccine.

Even with an efficacy of 86% (the lowest number we’ve seen as the vaccines wane, for preventing hospitalization/death) - if everyone were to be vaccinated that number would drop to less than 231,000 deaths. Preventing 1.4 _million_ people from dying seems like a decent reason to get the vaccine.

Post your numbers and your source. Without a source you’re just making stuff up.

• Disagree
Reactions: jk73

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I’m the one posting sources with facts. I already posted my source about the mortality rate: https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid

Most developed countries are within 1%-2%… with the US being near 2%. I used 1% in my calculation to be conservative - and it still shows that the vaccine would save 3M lives.

Even if you use 0.5%… there would still be 1.65M deaths without a vaccine.

Even with an efficacy of 86% (the lowest number we’ve seen as the vaccines wane, for preventing hospitalization/death) - if everyone were to be vaccinated that number would drop to less than 231,000 deaths. Preventing 1.4 _million_ people from dying seems like a decent reason to get the vaccine.

Post your numbers and your source. Without a source you’re just making stuff up.

Good grief.

Poorer countries have a higher CFR because they do little or no testing of asymptomatic people.

I can’t believe we’re 18 months into this fiasco and the self-styled experts still don’t understand even the basics. Ridiculous.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Good grief.

Poorer countries have a higher CFR because they do little or no testing of asymptomatic people.

I can’t believe we’re 18 months into this fiasco and the self-styled experts still don’t understand even the basics. Ridiculous.

Still not a single source. You obviously are very wrong.

BTW: with 640,000 dead in the US we _know for a fact_ that the mortality rate is at least 0.2%… and we are not anywhere close to seeing the end of the number of people who will die.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Still not a single source. You obviously are very wrong.

I’m “very wrong”? Poor countries have been wasting billions testing asymptomatic people at the same ratio as in the U.S.?

LOL.

BTW: with 640,000 dead in the US we _know for a fact_ that the mortality rate is at least 0.2%… and we are not anywhere close to seeing the end of the number of people who will die.

Now it’s only 0.2%? Yesterday you were claiming it was up to 5%.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I’m “very wrong”? Poor countries have been wasting billions testing asymptomatic people at the same ratio as in the U.S.?

LOL.

You are very wrong about how deadly the virus is and how effective the vaccines are (even now, when the effectiveness is waning).

I’ve shown authoritative data and studies for both. You’ve provided nothing but your own opinion.

The vaccines are effective and can still save hundreds of thousands of lives. It’s not too late to get everyone vaccinated.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
You are very wrong about how deadly the virus is and how effective the vaccines are (even now, when the effectiveness is waning).

I’ve shown authoritative data and studies for both. You’ve provided nothing but your own opinion.

The vaccines are effective and can still save hundreds of thousands of lives. It’s not too late to get everyone vaccinated.

I’ve been saying all along that the CFR is around 0.2% while you said it might be an absurd 5%. How am I “very wrong”? You seem to be arguing with some imaginary person.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

LOL.

Now it’s only 0.2%? Yesterday you were claiming it was up to 5%.

No: the 0.2% is the absolute minimum because 0.2% of the population of the United States has already _died_ from Covid. The real number will be much larger than that because not everyone has had Covid yet.

I already told you my rationale for using 1%. You haven’t provided a single number or source and continue to make stuff up.

I also showed that even if you go down to 0.5% mortality rate the vaccines can still save over a million lives.

Cite something and make a valid argument or go away. Who cares about your opinion with no data or sources behind it?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I’ve been saying all along that the CFR is around 0.2% while you said it might be an absurd 5%. How am I “very wrong”? You seem to be arguing with some imaginary person.

If it were 0.2% then no one else would be dying right now. We’ve already lost 0.2% of the US population.

Currently there are 1,300 people dying every day in the US. The actual mortality rate will end up being much higher than 0.2%

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
No: the 0.2% is the absolute minimum because 0.2% of the population of the United States has already _died_ from Covid. The real number will be much larger than that because not everyone has had Covid yet.

I already told you my rationale for using 1%. You haven’t provided a single number or source and continue to make stuff up.

I also showed that even if you go down to 0.5% mortality rate the vaccines can still save over a million lives.

Cite something and make a valid argument or go away. Who cares about your opinion with no data or sources behind it?

You post wall of text after wall of text, but you’re telling me to “go away”? That’s funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.