Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Damn, I thought I’d have a hard time choosing between a lesser spec’d 5.4” iPhone and a 6.1” iPhone Pro. Now, if I want a smaller phone, I need to chose between the Sept 2020 5.4” iPhone and the 1H2021 iPhone SE2 Plus. :oops:

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
Sucks for me my CarPlay is dependent on my lightning cord.

Likewise ... of course however ... this gives Apple the wonderful opportunity to create some sort of USB CarPlay Wireless Adapter ... for a typical Apple price of course.

With a little luck it will offer wireless charging too.

jonen

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
I hope this is not true. I can't imagine that I am an extreme minority here, but does no one else use magnets inside a phone case for mounting in the car? I have an XS, but the magnet is what prevents me from wireless charging my phone now.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I hardly ever use the port but I suspect many will not like this
Wait until you would require a recovery procedure because of a failing iOS boot loader or kernel corruption. Won't be any different than the 13.2 software which bricked HomePods. No recovery procedure and required shipping to or drop off with Apple. Could take weeks to receive a replacement.
However, I would say this is reaching to predict no physical port for charging and data.

bunkscene

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2016
The idea of it is interesting, but I hope this means they have solved the bluetooth audio delay issue. Playing games and watching movies via bluetooth is not usually a pleasant experience.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I see the practicality of removing the port, but sucks for me as I use that port for external microphones and audio interfaces when field recording.
Apple would kill off a huge market for this. There are a lot of people that plug in things to the port now for audio. No more wired headphones also. The transition to lighting from 3.5 hurt a lot of people but at least they can still use their stuff. Without any port will make a lot of people and companies mad. I wouldn’t expect Apple stock would be happy for a while if this happens.
lets also remember Apple sells the larger usb c pucks for fast charging as a feature they have currently on all phones. They are shooting them selves in the foot losing sales on that too

Reactions: 5105973

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
"Apple releasing two new iPhones in the first half of 2021 and two more in the second half of the year "

I know Samsung and OnePlus have been able to navigate this kind of scheduled before but I think Apple should at least for the first year announced all 4 models and provide a scheduled when the remaining 2 phones will be released - that way people could make an intelligent decision and don't feel dumb for buying the 'wrong' model

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
I see the practicality of removing the port, but sucks for me as I use that port for external microphones and audio interfaces when field recording.
Don't forger those lovely battery packs that Apple has just release for this years iPhone.

To me this is several steps too far.
A direct connection allows copying to/from the iPhone without involving any other medium or network. One cable. simple. perfect.

latts

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
This doesn't make any sense at all, too many times the iPhone requires a cable. As someone above mentioned most cars that offer CarPlay only support with a cable and what about if you don't have access to a wireless charger (like a long flight) what do you do then?

No, while its a great idea for the future unfortunately everyday life will restrict its effectiveness

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Although i like the concept of a completely wireless iphone in theory. How practical is it? Especially for people who travel a lot? What do you do in airports? On a train? Or while on location? Finding an outlet at a cafe is a lot easier than finding a place that has a wireless charging station. Or does Apple expect people will travel with their wireless charging pads? Kinda defeats the purpose of going wireless. I guess eventually that technology where your phone is constantly being charged by wireless waves as you walk around will change things. But how far off in the future is that technology? I have seen it demonstrated on stage...but to have it everywhere like a cell signal? Is that even possible?

I don’t currently even use my wireless charging on the iphone. I use a lightning cable. I am just hoping Apple gives the next iPhone pro a usb-c port to match my ipad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.