Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I can see this happening.
We have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for connectivity along with wireless charging.
There really isn't much need for any kind of port.
Charging is important. Carrying wireless charger when traveling is a hassle (and it is slower which might be critical at times). Also, it would be another feature that Apple takes away without getting any material benefit in return.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
So how on earth do we connect to car play without lightening??

You buy a new car with wireless CarPlay. That aside, someone earlier mentioned a wireless to USB adapter for CarPlay. Talk about a product we otherwise wouldn't need. Reminds me of the good ol' cassette deck adapter for wired audio for cars without an Aux input.

bunkscene

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2016
I think to do this, they must have some new technology coming. Perhaps there will be a magnetic connector that can be used to charge or connect headphones via an included adapter. This will remove the need for the hole.

AdamskiUK

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
the board has a hard on for USB-C but the millions of users with existing lighting docks and/or accessories will be pissed beyond belief.

I barely remember the name of Apple's last cable interface. Nobody mourns the loss of the 30-pin anymore - times change. No company should stick to a standard for the sake of it. If there are better, more consistent standards then it's time to utilise them.

Look at FireWire lol

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Let’s all not forget that if Apple kills the charging port they can’t release any other phones without glass backs. Or some kind of passthrough material. I highly doubt Apple will take away the port. 99% no.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Apple will launch the iPhone SE2 Plus in 1H21. We predict that the display size will be 5.5 or 6.1-inch. This model will adopt a full-screen design. The notch area will be smaller because of no Face ID support. The Touch ID will be integrated with the power button, which is located on the side.

Wait... Am I reading this right? "The notch area will be smaller because of no Face ID support." So no Face ID, but still a notch? Isn't one of the benefits of having no Face ID, having a display with no notch? Well, Tim Cook is the CEO, and he's a clueless MBA suit who cares more about making maximum profits rather than making maximum quality products, so it shouldn't be too surprising if an iPhone with no Face ID still has a notch.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
If they eliminate the port, musical instruments will no longer work adequately with the device. Wireless adds too much latency. Even with a hardwire there's probably too much latency.

Reactions: HVDynamo

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
Try syncing 200gb of data over WiFi in a reasonable amount of time, charging a phone on an airplane or in a car (at all, let alone fast), restoring a phone when an update bricks it, use headphones on an 18 hour flight, connect to a speaker in a hotel with Bluetooth door locks that interfere with every other Bluetooth device, or Plug in and use a projector. Wireless may work inside the Cupertino bubble but not in the real world.

seems like the jony design team that got kicked out of the Mac group found a new home.

Monteverdi

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2012
The article says a "biannual" release cycle, which means once every two years. Surely it meant a "semiannual" cycle of twice a year?

Reactions: MallardDuck

User 6502

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2014
About time. They should have done this when wireless charging was introduced.

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
You buy a new car with wireless CarPlay. That aside, someone earlier mentioned a wireless to USB adapter for CarPlay. Talk about a product we otherwise wouldn't need. Reminds me of the good ol' cassette deck adapter for wired audio for cars without an Aux input.

it’s available right next to the Airplay 2 bridge for use with older amps.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I wonder if auto manufacturers are working on integrating wireless charging into a car's dash. So you could just lie your phone on it and it would charge and sync. But until then, no ports would be a bit of a pain. And Apple would need to include a wireless charger with each iPhone.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple plans to launch an iPhone without a Lightning connector in 2021, according to a research note from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo obtained by MacRumors. Kuo says the "highest-end model" in the 2021 lineup will offer a "completely wireless experience."

AirPower lives!

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
the board has a hard on for USB-C but the millions of users with existing lighting docks and/or accessories will be pissed beyond belief.

I wouldn't be. I own a ton of chargers but I will gladly replace them all to have USB-C. My work phone is an S10e so it would be super convenient.

Reactions: aaronhead14

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
No way, why? I will never buy an iPhone with completely no port. This is a stupid idea if you ask me. I want to use my device with iTunes. Sync my library. Even backup with iTunes. I know, it's outdated, but it works and it's convenient.

Regarding USB-C:

I have tons of Lightning cables and accessories and a Lightning Dock too. But no USB-C devices and cables. But i'll guess i'm alright with the switch to USB-C, even though i need to buy more cables and dongles. USB-C to USB-A for example. Zero USB-C gear, but plenty of Lightning and USB-A. I hope they don't do USB-C till 2022 and a portless iPhone? You can scrap that idea lol.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Help.
ACBD6338-7948-4B5E-95E4-300976516132.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.