Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
Bring it. The sooner I don't have to ever deal with another cable, the better. And I understand all the criticisms posted here, but think about it, folks; eventually, most electronics will be completely wireless. The sooner we get used to that idea, the less unnecessary angst we'll have over the next couple decades.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This guy is a clown. Just throwing crap out there to see what might stick.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I can see this happening.
We have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for connectivity along with wireless charging.
There really isn't much need for any kind of port.

I use both methods, and each has advantages. A corded solution works in environments where a wireless charger has trouble staying attached, such as when in a car that is on a bumpy road. In addition, a cord is a lot cheaper so you can leave one in a car and not worry about forgetting it.

The wireless charging is very useful as I have a lamp with a wireless charger in the base so all I have top do is lay my phone on it.

Reactions: k.alexander

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I wonder if auto manufacturers are working on integrating wireless charging into a car's dash. So you could just lie your phone on it and it would charge and sync. But until then, no ports would be a bit of a pain. And Apple would need to include a wireless charger with each iPhone.

A number of manufacturers already have wireless CarPlay; e.g. BMW, Audi, Mercedes among others. But not across the entire line and usually from 2017 models and later. Some vehicles have wired CarPlay and a wireless charging option, which is odd unless you don't use CarPlay and want to charge wirelessly (or your passenger does).

I think 2021 is too early for a fully wireless phone but I believe that's where we are headed. Not only would Apple have to include a "portable" wireless charge pad and charger they need to have solutions for the myriad of wired use cases of which CarPlay is but one.

Reactions: compwiz1202

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I hope this is not true. I can't imagine that I am an extreme minority here, but does no one else use magnets inside a phone case for mounting in the car? I have an XS, but the magnet is what prevents me from wireless charging my phone now.

I do, and had to position the metal plate so it does not interfere with wireless charging, making the mag mount less secure.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
I can see this happening.
We have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for connectivity along with wireless charging.
There really isn't much need for any kind of port.

The biggest concern I have is speed. Wireless is over half as slow as a fast charger, not to mention far less efficient (aka wasteful).

Also the concern of having a charger/mounting solution in your car.

The port has many uses besides charging. Bluetooth is still nowhere near as good as wired headphones in some situations.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I think 2021 is too early for a fully wireless phone but I believe that's where we are headed. Not only would Apple have to include a "portable" wireless charge pad and charger they need to have solutions for the myriad of wired use cases of which CarPlay is but one.

Apple will simply ignore the wired CarPlay solutions a, IMHO. I'd guess the charger would be a USB=C Cable and thus "portable"

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Don't most CarPlay units require a wired connection???

That issue aside, a fully wireless iPhone would probably mean AirPods and a wireless charging pad in the box.

sander48k

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2016
The Netherlands
If they really care about the environment, as they claim, they should not go completely wireless. Personally I don't think it is worth throwing away 20%+ of the energy for this marginal gain in convenience.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Even if they could make wireless charging just as fast as USB-C fast charging, and use WIFI 6 to get the speed high enough, there's still the issue of being able to connect wired audio. Wireless audio incurs latency, which iOS compensates for when watching videos, but there's no way around it for playing games.

I get there there are numerous wins for going plug-free: no lint accumulating in the port, no more fussing with cables, buying and replacing cables...

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
If they really care about the environment, as they claim, they should not go completely wireless. Personally I don't think it is worth throwing away 20%+ of the energy for this marginal gain in convenience.

It’s not even a marginal gain in convenience. Wireless charging is already available. If anything it reduces convenience as there are certainly times when wired charging is more convenient. Just simply charging while using your phone as an example. Now instead of just plugging in, you have to hold a charging puck up to the back of the phone? This is a stupid, half-baked idea.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018

That's a good point. It's also worth considering how much the environmental impact would be offset by the 50 million+ cables per year that wouldn't need to be manufactured, shipped, sold, and thrown away when they wear out or become obsolete.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kram Sacul

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
Not ready at all

I personally have zero for desire for all/only wireless.

I'm fairly sure my car includes all the hardware necessary for wireless CarPlay but the manufacturer just can't be bothered to enable it.

If this phone ships, future versions of my car will almost certainly have it enabled. And hopefully, it'll be available for my car as well.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Going to be fun waiting 8 hours to charge the iphone with 5 watts wireless charger that comes in the box...(hopefully it comes with the phone.)

giphy.gif

Reactions: Freakonomics101

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I'd like to see how you are supposed to reload iOS on the phone without a physical cable, in case of a botched OTA upgrade or some other issue requiring a reload from scratch, or an OS downgrade.

Learn from the Apple Watch. None of this is possible, and you have to take your watch for service. It would be the same with iPhone. No F'n way. Too many accessories rely on a physical port.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Not ready at all

I personally have zero for desire for all/only wireless.
I think this guess is gonna be a “miss”!
Apple is NOT going to include wireless chargers in 2021 (which obviously, they’d have to do to sell a wireless only iPhone).
They say never say never... I’m saying never. Lol.
Between the cost, the lack of ability to enter dfu mode, etc. that would arise from a truly portless phone, I just don’t see this lining up at all w/ the goals of their company.

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
This seems like more work than it's worth, but I guess if they want a truly wireless future then they have to start somewhere. I like the convenience of traveling or going to a friend's house and using their cord if my battery is low. Also there's the issue of carplay like so many have discussed. I guess I will just wait until this is more widely adopted.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I'd like to see how you are supposed to reload iOS on the phone without a physical cable, in case of a botched OTA upgrade or some other issue requiring a reload from scratch, or an OS downgrade.

Learn from the Apple Watch. None of this is possible, and you have to take your watch for service. It would be the same with iPhone. No F'n way. Too many accessories rely on a physical port.

Even the watch has a port.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
This sounds like a terrible idea. I like being able to plug my phone in and carry a small charger in my bag or a portable battery pack when on the go. I don't want to carry a hockey puck to charge my phone.

Also isn't wireless charging less effective then a plug/wire.

Reactions: IG88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.