Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
you'll have to buy a "dock" with a USB C port if you want to charge it on the go. Carplay will be a Bluetooth connection going forward.

Filero

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2017
What? Completely "wireless"? No, that sounds to me as completely brainless. Is the next embarrassing butterfly keyboard case. This is the midlife crisis?

Last edited:

geogecko

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
For all you haters needing that port...don’t worry, there will be a wireless to lightning dongle for $179.99. CarPlay, iTunes Sync, accessorize all you want!

Reactions: Adoniram

Lozza013

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
Melbourne Australia
I don't mind Wireless but no I do like to plug in my devices for Syncing, CarPlay in my family's Subaru Forester etc.... Complete Wireless is a big no no to me.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Many potential issues in my view but probably can be solved until that change happens
- If you have a lightning cable you can basically charge your phone anywhere you have a USB port (even on newer iPhones with USB-C since the lighting cable going into the phone is the same). That is much easier than carrying a wireless charger all the time
- I hate connecting my phone on my car via Bluetooth. When connecting via lightning cable to the USB on the car the sound quality is much better and it also charges my phone
- At least on cars I have driven with Car Play you need to physically plug your phone into the car for that to work
- The lightning port on the phone is still used by many to connect non wireless headsets

Thus, not having a port on the phone will bring a lot of inconvenience to many people.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Wire is always faster, more efficient, more reliable, and more secure. It should always remain an option.

jmerrilljr

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
I see the practicality of removing the port, but sucks for me as I use that port for external microphones and audio interfaces when field recording.
I see the practicality of removing the port, but sucks for me as I use that port for external microphones and audio interfaces when field recording.
Yeah. They put so much effort into their cameras and this would hamstring video shooting. Wireless mikes ... no.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Even the watch has a port.

The "port" being useless to the average consumer, because neither the cable nor software required isnt available to the end user.

The only way I see this happening, if they make a variation of the "smart connector" like on the iPads, where magnetically attached accessories can be connected, including a sync/charge cable.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
So Apple is forcing u to spend a ton just to get features? This company is so money hungry. It’s sad.

what’s next? A $5k phone like their computer?

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
Stupid idea unless they’ve created a wireless charging pod of some sort that charges my phone wirelessly over the air.

I still use my phone when it’s charging with a cable, can’t do that if there’s no port.

Scott H

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
Not having a charging port will not work for me. When at an airport or traveling by plane or train I need to be able to plug in to charge. I need a charging port, not wireless charging.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
you'll have to buy a "dock" with a USB C port if you want to charge it on the go. Carplay will be a Bluetooth connection going forward.

wifi direct, the thing in your car is just a display, needs bandwidth Bluetooth hasn't.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Many potential issues in my view but probably can be solved until that change happens
- If you have a lightning cable you can basically charge your phone anywhere you have a USB port (even on newer iPhones with USB-C since the lighting cable going into the phone is the same). That is much easier than carrying a wireless charger all the time
- I hate connecting my phone on my car via Bluetooth. When connecting via lightning cable to the USB on the car the sound quality is much better and it also charges my phone
- At least on cars I have driven with Car Play you need to physically plug your phone into the car for that to work
- The lightning port on the phone is still used by many to connect non wireless headsets

Thus, not having a port on the phone will bring a lot of inconvenience to many people.
Well, that's a problem for Apple. They need to force every iPhone owner to by AirPods. Their revenues have stagnated.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
What I find interesting is that there are very few benefits to a portless phone. The only one I can think of is increased water resistance, but I feel that we're already at an acceptable amount of resistance. The lightning port isn't very large and doesn't take up that much space inside of the phone. White simply, the pros do not outweigh the cons. I think it would look very nice visually, but I can't imagine the consumer benefits from a device without a port.

Another thing that's not spoken about here...if Apple is looking to remove the lightning port, are they also looking to remove the power button, volume buttons, and volume on/off switch? If so, count me out, at least for a year or two while we all learn to live in this brave new world.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
What I find interesting is that there are very few benefits to a portless phone. The only one I can think of is increased water resistance, but I feel that we're already at an acceptable amount of resistance. The lightning port isn't very large and doesn't take up that much space inside of the phone. White simply, the pros do not outweigh the cons. I think it would look very nice visually, but I can't imagine the consumer benefits from a device without a port.

Another thing that's not spoken about here...if Apple is looking to remove the lightning port, are they also looking to remove the power button, volume buttons, and volume on/off switch? If so, count me out, at least for a year or two while we all learn to live in this brave new world.
Honestly, the only legit reason that I can think of for Apple moving towards a portless iPhone is to block jailbreaking / hacking.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
If you just go by the photo "without lightning" could just mean they're finally moving to USB-C on the highest spec'd phone. It really doesn't make sense to get rid of a port, not just for power, but for data transfer. I'm not airdropping 4K footage to my ipad. That's going to take forever, ain't nobody got time for that.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
the board has a hard on for USB-C but the millions of users with existing lighting docks and/or accessories will be pissed beyond belief.
No. The article clearly states Kuo's prediction that the LACK OF PORT means even USB-C will be completely absent. No Lightning. No USB-C. No cables. No ports. Just all wireless.

It's a wild prediction. Like what happens when you need to charge your iPhone in the airport or plane?

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Sucks for me my CarPlay is dependent on my lightning cord.

Basically everyone without a BMW would have their CarPlay rendered useless. I don’t really buy this rumor. I could see USB-C and I’d welcome it at this point, but I can’t see an iPhone without a port working in 2021. Wireless charging is still much too slow as well. That’s a swing and a miss that early. This is the kind of form over function crap I thought and still hope will go away without Jony Ive. There’s no benefit to killing the port altogether; it’s not a feature. It literally will just be a huge inconvenience and make life more difficult for most users.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I was about to come on here and bitch about being on a conference call and my AirPods dying, and having no choice but to exist the call or go on speaker phone. It's been so long since I've used it that I momentarily forgot I could theoretically hold it to my ear...you know...like a phone. That being said I HATE holding the phone to my ear, and I carry a wired seat of Earpods for this exact situation. Losing the ability to switch on the fly when the Airpods die (and they do) would suck.

When they are about to die, look on your phone for which one is closer to dead. Pop that one out and put it in the case for 5-10 minutes while you keep talking with the other earbud in, then swap them. I've done that for some calls where mine run dead and it seems to work just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.