Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
If he's right there's no way we're getting USB-C in 2020, I was really hoping I could move to one cable type for everything next year when I upgrade my personal laptop and phone :/

I do have a USB-C cable that I tossed multiple tips on clips on that I can make work for everything right now that I keep in my bag, but I would prefer that to go away

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
I was about to come on here and bitch about being on a conference call and my AirPods dying, and having no choice but to exist the call or go on speaker phone. It's been so long since I've used it that I momentarily forgot I could theoretically hold it to my ear...you know...like a phone. That being said I HATE holding the phone to my ear, and I carry a wired seat of Earpods for this exact situation. Losing the ability to switch on the fly when the Airpods die (and they do) would suck.

In other news, I recently test drove a GMC Canyon and was amused that they included a wireless charging pad, but a)it of course doesn't connect to Airplay and b)was in a space in the center console not actually big enough to rest an iPhone. But basically if this rumor becomes a thing, all existing CarPlay-enabled cars would be obsolete unless Apple or a 3rd party comes up with some special adapter.

Oh and lastly, while I DO prefer wireless charging and use it most of the time, there are still plenty of reasons to have a wire - emergency power banks, plugging into a computer to offload photos to the Mac, making a Mac-based backup of the phone before restoring it or upgrading it, and being able to plug into the wall when you are out and about and low on battery. Seems to be we've got quite a ways to a wireless iPhone society, and I'm not in any rush.

Oh one last thing I thought of...this would suck for college students. I gave my freshman an Anker charging pad to use it school. she returned it to me, because she preferred having one of those stick-on envelopes on the back to hold her school ID. As is a common thing.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Like i said
2020 redesign,better oled,promotion etc etc is already too much in apples terms so usbc for 2021
According to this report, 2021 is fully wireless. That implies no USB-C or Lightning port. IOW, not ports. At all.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I care more about the notch then the connector at the bottom really. Because in the end I can already NOW use my iPhone Xr from last year without any wires. Bluetooth + Wifi + wireless charging. So what if the connector is there. In case needed I can use it. that's good.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
So just skip USB-C and go lightning in 2020 and no port for 2021?

just a few questions:
• DFU Mode?
• CarPlay? Gonna be pissed if my 2021 phone won’t work with my 2019 car.
• Car chargers? Not many vehicles have a QI charger.

Obviousky this is just a rumor and these questions can be answered in the future before release, but still. I’d prefer a USB-C port at this point.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
If true, I wonder the reasoning.

Does the plug take up valuable real estate to be replaced by something exciting?

If forced to adjust I would, but would prefer the wire over no wire option.

Reactions: centauratlas

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The roads in my country do not support, and will not support for a considerable time in the future, wireless charging. I need that cable at least in my car, thank you.

Although, while there is also the repugnant issue of thrusting wireless on me like that, I wonder if this means there will be some form of wireless charger provided in the box else purchasing that totally wireless iDevice necessitates buying a third-party wireless charging system to charge it, adding to the cost for consumers!

kingax1

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2017
New York
This sucks when traveling. In an age where Im trying to travel lighter by the year now Id have to carry at least 3 wireless chargers, 1 for me, 1 for my wife and 1-2 spares because you never know and that is far heavier than if we went with 3 short usb cables.

Reactions: k.alexander

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Well, you know Apple is going to do this whether anyone wants them to do it or not. Then they'll get on stage and call it "courage" or something.

Meanwhile I'll be trying to restore from iTunes on a PC, or needing to charge in my car, etc... with no place to connect my phone. I think before that happens I'll stop upgrading phones and just buy SE models that have the old ports I need.

Reactions: planteater

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Sucks for me my CarPlay is dependent on my lightning cord.

I would be in the same predicament but I do still want to see a portless iPhone. Car manufacturers better step up their game fast and start implementing wireless CarPlay systems in new models soon.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So, how would users get around the fast charging issue then? What happens if the iPhone is at 10% battery and you need a quick charge before you leave for a flight or something?

Wireless charging is not fast charging.

The rest of the industry has already moved to 27W or 30W wireless charging.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Quite a few actually but regardless, why the f**k should one have to buy a new car to work with their new iPhone?

Not what I'd call quite a few.

• Audi A6 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi A7 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi A8 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi Q8 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi e-tron SUV (2020 and newer)
  • BMW 5 Series (2017 and newer)
  • BMW 3 Series (2018 and newer)
  • 2019 BMW range
  • Lamborghini Urus (2017 and newer)
  • Mercedes A-Class (2018 and newer)
  • Mercedes GLE (2019 and newer)
  • 2019 Mini range
  • Toyota Supra (2020 and newer)
So basically it's available on some vehicles from the luxury car makers. I'd love to know what Apple's plans are regarding CarPlay in the millions of vehicles on the road today (and most of the one's still being built today) that only have wired CarPlay. I have to think that Apple isn't so stupid as to eliminate the port and render millions of cars with non-functional CarPlay going forward, without some kind of solution in place for those cars. They do have existing adapters out there, but they aren't fully baked from what I've read, nor do they solve the charging issue.

While I don't see why you'd want to eliminate the only port on the phone, considering that many people probably have a use case for it that is not easily solved wirelessly, as long as Apple has a legit solution in place for wired CarPlay, I won't fuss too much about it. I imagine frequent flyers won't like this either. With wired charging you could keep a cable in your pocket to charge at the airport. Now you have to keep a wireless charging puck with you? Wireless only is far from the ideal mobile charging solution. If people thought removing the 3.5mm jack was met with acrimony, wait until there are no ports.

Last edited:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Not what I'd call quite a few.

• Audi A6 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi A7 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi A8 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi Q8 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi e-tron SUV (2020 and newer)
  • BMW 5 Series (2017 and newer)
  • BMW 3 Series (2018 and newer)
  • 2019 BMW range
  • Lamborghini Urus (2017 and newer)
  • Mercedes A-Class (2018 and newer)
  • Mercedes GLE (2019 and newer)
  • 2019 Mini range
  • Toyota Supra (2020 and newer)
So basically it's available on some vehicles from the luxury car makers. I'd love to know what Apple's plans are regarding CarPlay in the millions of vehicles on the road today (and most of the one's still being built today) that only have wired CarPlay. I have to think that Apple isn't so stupid as to eliminate the port and render millions of cars with non-functional CarPlay going forward, without some kind of solution in place for those cars. They do have existing adapters out there, but they aren't fully baked from what I've read, nor do they solve the charging issue.
I do believe one day that iPhones will go fully wireless. 2021 is too soon though.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
I can see this happening.
We have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for connectivity along with wireless charging.
There really isn't much need for any kind of port.
How would one go about recovering an iPhone in DFU mode without a port?

How do I charge in an Airport? I have to drag a wireless charger around with me? Can't use the phone while I'm charging it.

What about CarPlay? There are plenty of vehicles that only support wired CarPlay and not wireless.

Last edited:
Reactions: centauratlas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.