Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
One is an iPhone 11 replacement, and one is an 11 Pro replacement. Just they both have the same OLED screen now, instead of the LCD-OLED split. I think most people prefer OLED thanks to the deep blacks. I don't like the look of LCD screens on phones now due to the obvious backlighting, and wouldn't go back.

As for cost, presumably the cost/supply of OLED has come down enough now that it makes more sense to just make one common part.

If I have to go to a large phone to get "all" of the features, it's going to be a while before I give up the 11 Pro that I intend to buy.

I've had the X and XS and have been completely happy having all the features of the Max phones, while being able to use it one handed and fit it in my pocket.

• Love
Reactions: 5105973

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
So 1st half of 2020 is when SE owners can upgrade? They've been stringing us along for over a year now with promises of a new model. And it's still too big.

I think that the new 5.4 OLED X style design will be the PERFECT SE replacement. The SE2 is horribly dated - damn, that design looked really bad in 2017!!! It's a model that we should all forget about.

Reactions: Bethanie21

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
The current 6.5” iphone 11 pro max seems the perfect size. I guess if Apple gets rid of the 6.5” size and increases it to 6.7” i would get that rather than go down to a 6.1” screen size.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
The 5.4" - if the rumor and mock up are true - is *finally* going to get all the SE, 6, 7, and 8 upgrades from people complaining that the 11 Pro is *just* a bit too big.

I agree BUT I was hoping for the 5.4" to be available as a Pro model due to the beautiful stainless steel construction and rumoured 120Hz / ProMotion display.

Reactions: xpxp2002

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Interesting.

So according to this chart (and assuming the 2020 iPhones use the "S" moniker) Apple is going to release the following:

4.7" iPhone SE2 (This is supposed to be released early 2020 as I understand it.)

5.4" iPhone 11s
6.1" iPhone 11s

6.1" iPhone 11s Pro
6.7" iPhone 11s Pro Max

So they are going to add yet another new iPhone with the 5.4" iPhone 11s.

Then replace the 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro with the the 6.1" iPhone 11s Pro, and replace the 6.5" iPhone 11 Pro Max with the 6.7" iPhone 11s Pro Max.

I am seeing 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro users being a little upset about that being gone, assuming this chart is correct.

:apple:

Won't be an S moniker, will be iPhone 12.

Reactions: The Oak

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Man, this is getting a bit ridiculous. They're going to make buying an iPhone so much more complicated than it should be. Why can't they just stick with Pro and non-Pro? So 4 models at most if they really want to offer two sizes for each model.
Disagree. There are approximately 900 million iPhone users worldwide which means the needs of users are far & wide. With such a wide user base and in a mature market, offering choice is necessary. We have now two rumors of the following for 2020 with respect to new iPhone models:

iPhone 8 updated (A13 SoC)
iPhone 11 (discounted by $100 to $599)
iPhone 12 (5.4" / 6.1")
iPhone 12 Pro (6.1" / 6.7")

That's a pretty good lineup if you ask me.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
all these models and they couldn't keep 5.8 in there? i really hope this won't be the case, but knowing rumor sites it most likely will be...

on a positive note, i'll be even less likely to buy an ipad now...

Reactions: Bethanie21 and jib2

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
So 1st half of 2020 is when SE owners can upgrade? They've been stringing us along for over a year now with promises of a new model. And it's still too big.
As of now, the 6S is still the most popular single iPhone model in use. That updated iPhone 8 that's supposedly coming early next year is designed to entice those users to upgrade.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It’s not the price I was getting at, OLED causes some people like myself migraines which if they went all OLED is basically saying we aren’t good enough for new iPhones. It seems pointless to have two 6.1” OLED’s when they already have the displays to make one of those LCD.

When I had my X it gave me terrible migraines, but soon as I switched to the XR and now the 11 the migraines went, and I don’t feel like I am missing out compared to the the OLED Pro models either. This lineup is basically saying those of us with PWM sensitivity won’t get any new phones from Apple and are stuck with older models for as long as they will keep selling them.
My guess is they’ll just assume those of you with this problem will just stick with what they have for a couple more years and then will upgrade once they can increase the PWM frequency in newer models.

Even if you leave Apple for a few years, they won’t mind from a revenue point of view.

Reactions: jpn

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
And they will continue to sell the previous gen to make the whole thing even more complicated as it already is.

iPad (new, yet worse than the oldeAir)
iPad Air
iPad Pro
different pens depending on the device

MacBook Air
MacBook Pro
yet no „MacBook“ so the MacBook Air is new but the iPad Air is old? Que?

iPhone 11
iPhone 11 Pro (yet smaller than the entry model iPhone 11)
iPhone 11 Pro Max
= tried to explain this to people. They didn’t get it.

in a Perfect World there would be a

MacBook
MacBook Pro

iPad
iPad Pro

iPhone
iPhone Pro

But I get it, you need an excuse to keep the prices high

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hmm, so no more 5.8" OLED iPhone? They're forcing us to go down to a 5.4" or up to a 6.1"?

You’re not ‘forced’ to do anything. It’s not like the 5.8 iPhone won’t be available discounted through carriers and other retailers if one wants an older model.

Reactions: edstyler

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
My guess is they’ll just assume those of you with this problem will just stick with what they have for a couple more years and then will upgrade once they can increase the PWM frequency in newer models.

Even if you leave Apple for a few years, they won’t mind from a revenue point of view.
Thankfully OLED seems to be a technology that will eventually be replaced when Micro LED comes out, hopefully sooner rather than later.

All the pros of OLED none of the drawbacks, they just need to hurry it up and get it small enough for phones.

If Micro LED doesnt become a thing soon, lets hope they go the DC Dimming route that OnePlus has been trying as that will eliminate PWM on OLED screens, but I believe if not done right it will effect the colour uniformity.

Reactions: xpxp2002

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2017
Covering all price points. I think the lower tier 6.1” will more resemble the 5.4” with a different form factor than the higher tier ones.

There’s no way the only difference between the two 6.1” is an extra camera. No a lot of people would buy the “Pro” one then.
What is the point of 2 6.1" OLED models? Keep one of them LCD like they have now so those of us with PWM sensitivity can still get a new iPhone, plus it also keeps the costs down too which means either the same or a slightly lower price for consumers.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Looking forward to the SE-2 😀

Indeed. March or April I’m thinking. I’m looking at downsizing from the Max to a smaller iPhone. I’m through with carrying larger iPhones in my pocket that are obtrusively large. If I need a larger display, then I can resort to my iPad/laptop.

Reactions: freddiebarnes

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
And they will continue to sell the previous gen to make the whole thing even more complicated as it already is.

iPad (new, yet worse than the oldeAir)
iPad Air
iPad Pro
different pens depending on the device

MacBook Air
MacBook Pro
yet no „MacBook“ so the MacBook Air is new but the iPad Air is old? Que?

iPhone 11
iPhone 11 Pro (yet smaller than the entry model iPhone 11)
iPhone 11 Pro Max
= tried to explain this to people. They didn’t get it.

in a Perfect World there would be a

MacBook
MacBook Pro

iPad
iPad Pro

iPhone
iPhone Pro

But I get it, you need an excuse to keep the prices high
I actually feel the iPhone lineup should be simpler than that.

One iPhone with all the hardware/capabilities in 3 sizes: 5.4", 6.1", and 6.7". That would presumably appease everyone. Yes, it's going to be expensive. To cover the price spectrum, they can continue to sell the iPhone XS and 11 models at lower prices.

That way, if you don't care about the latest tech, you can get whatever size suits you at a cheaper price. And if you do want the latest tech, you can still get whatever size suits you. Win win.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Man, this is getting a bit ridiculous. They're going to make buying an iPhone so much more complicated than it should be. Why can't they just stick with Pro and non-Pro? So 4 models at most if they really want to offer two sizes for each model.

I know ! It's rediculous for one of the biggest and richest companies in the world to have more than 1 prdocuts !! They should stick to the basics and not confuse to consumer with soy "milk" and plant based "burgers".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.