Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
No, I already upgraded to an iPhone 11 Pro which is too big. Now they want me to downgrade my camera to get a smaller phone? It's ridiculous.

You know making the screen smaller doesn’t make the the parts smaller, right? Putting triple cameras in an se would fill 20% of the phone

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Man, this is getting a bit ridiculous. They're going to make buying an iPhone so much more complicated than it should be. Why can't they just stick with Pro and non-Pro? So 4 models at most if they really want to offer two sizes for each model.

Most people aren't paralyzed when presented with multiple options and are able to choose quite well based on what they need. If someone can't look at specs vs. their needs and pick a phone, the problem isn't with Apple or the number of options offered.....and if necessary you can always start a 20 page thread to consult a bunch of random strangers to help you decide which phone you're going to stare at all day.

Last edited:
Reactions: artfossil

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Interesting.

So according to this chart (and assuming the 2020 iPhones use the "S" moniker) Apple is going to release the following:

4.7" iPhone SE2 (This is supposed to be released early 2020 as I understand it.)

5.4" iPhone 11s
6.1" iPhone 11s

6.1" iPhone 11s Pro
6.7" iPhone 11s Pro Max

So they are going to add yet another new iPhone with the 5.4" iPhone 11s.

Then replace the 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro with the the 6.1" iPhone 11s Pro, and replace the 6.5" iPhone 11 Pro Max with the 6.7" iPhone 11s Pro Max.

This makes no damn sense, and I am seeing 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro and 6.5" iPhone 11 Pro Max (which I own and think is slightly too big) users being a little upset about these options being gone, assuming this chart is correct.

:apple:
I don’t think we are going to see any S model in the future

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
If you do the math, the 5.4" iPhone 5G would be about 95% the size of an iPhone 8. It's nowhere near the size of iPhone SE.

A 5.4" screen itself would be a mm taller than than the SE body and a mm narrower, so just add the bezels to that. Significantly shorter than an 8.

Reactions: mkoesel

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
The most interesting thing to me, is the predicted 2021 lineup with a model that is purely wireless, no lighting port.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Let’s just fast forward already lmao. Normally I love reading this articles, but I’m just growing more anxious for 2020. Gonna be a great year.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
A 5.4" screen itself would be a mm taller than than the SE body and a mm narrower, so just add the bezels to that. Significantly shorter than an 8.

And hopefully the new iPhone-4-like form factor will allow for narrower bezels than the current OLED phones.

The 5.4" iPhone 12 is definitely going to be bigger than an SE, but it may be closer in size, and most importantly in the end, closer in overall feel to the outgoing SE than the new SE2. Like this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/06/27/apple-new-iphone-upgrade-iphone-xs-max-xr/

Reactions: freddiebarnes

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Except in this rumor there are two phones exactly the same size.
Which will have different specs and a comparison chart. I don’t see the issue.....assuming people can read and know what they need/want.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Again, do the math, and you'll realize it's a lot closer to an iPhone 8 than iPhone SE. It's 96% the height of iPhone 8.

5.4" iPhone
Height = 5.25"
Width = 2.61"

iPhone SE
Height = 4.87"
Width = 2.31"

iPhone 8
Height = 5.45"
Width = 2.65"

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Interesting.

So according to this chart (and assuming the 2020 iPhones use the "S" moniker) Apple is going to release the following:

4.7" iPhone SE2 (This is supposed to be released early 2020 as I understand it.)

5.4" iPhone 11s
6.1" iPhone 11s

6.1" iPhone 11s Pro
6.7" iPhone 11s Pro Max

So they are going to add yet another new iPhone with the 5.4" iPhone 11s.

Then replace the 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro with the the 6.1" iPhone 11s Pro, and replace the 6.5" iPhone 11 Pro Max with the 6.7" iPhone 11s Pro Max.

This makes no damn sense, and I am seeing 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro and 6.5" iPhone 11 Pro Max (which I own and think is slightly too big) users being a little upset about these options being gone, assuming this chart is correct.

Ummmmm....
So, if I’m getting you- you’re saying you currently have a 6.5” iPhone Pro & find it slightly too big; yet a 6.1” to you “makes no damn sense”?
Huh?
Sounds like that is EXACTLY what you want. Am I missing something??

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'm curious what the cheapest new fall 2020 iPhone will cost. Sounds like they will all be expensive.

The 5.4" model is going to be an enormous seller.

Reactions: robertosh

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Again, do the math, and you'll realize it's a lot closer to an iPhone 8 than iPhone SE. It's 96% the height of iPhone 8.

Remember, the form factor is changing, and we don't know screen-to-body ratio for the 2020 iPhones yet.

It should definitely be no larger than the dimensions you suggest. But it is not at all farfetched to suggest it could be a bit smaller. All it needs is an (approximately) 33% bezel shrink from the iPhone 11 to cross the threshold from slightly larger than half way between an SE and SE2 to slightly smaller than half way between an SE and SE2.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

I resemble this remark.

Peza19

Suspended
Nov 9, 2019
Hmmm I think it will certainly be very interesting to see how Apple prices a phone range lineup like this.

NocturnalEdit

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Given that very few cars offer wireless carplay... I would imagine that apple will release a high priced DONGLE that you plug into your vehicle that allows wireless carplay to work with the new phones. People can afford to upgrade their phones every few years.. but not a $30K car every few years. They already have wireless dongle's that work for Android based headsets. So I could imagine a Apple branded wireless dongle that you keep in your car being something apple could engineer.

Forcing everyone to not be able to plug in their new phone in their car for carplay is actually a SAFETY hazard and might open up apple to lawsuits. For instance.. I just bought a 2019 Honda Clarity.. only works with wired carplay. This is a $36K car. I plan to keep in for 10 years. If in 2 years apple releases a phone that won't work with it... I'll probably do without upgrading or buy an older model with wires until atleast 2025. Then I'll suck it up and probably pay for cell service for an extra line and keep in in my car all the time. Either way... no way in hell am I buying a new car cause my new phone won't work with it. It will just make apple lose money because people will delay phone purchases. Headphone jacks were a cheap fix... $36K car is not a cheap replacement.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Given that very few cars offer wireless carplay... I would imagine that apple will release a high priced DONGLE that you plug into your vehicle that allows wireless carplay to work with the new phones. People can afford to upgrade their phones every few years.. but not a $30K car every few years. They already have wireless dongle's that work for Android based headsets. So I could imagine a Apple branded wireless dongle that you keep in your car being something apple could engineer.

Forcing everyone to not be able to plug in their new phone in their car for carplay is actually a SAFETY hazard and might open up apple to lawsuits. For instance.. I just bought a 2019 Honda Clarity.. only works with wired carplay. This is a $36K car. I plan to keep in for 10 years. If in 2 years apple releases a phone that won't work with it... I'll probably do without upgrading or buy an older model with wires until atleast 2025. Then I'll suck it up and probably pay for cell service for an extra line and keep in in my car all the time. Either way... no way in hell am I buying a new car cause my new phone won't work with it. It will just make apple lose money because people will delay phone purchases. Headphone jacks were a cheap fix... $36K car is not a cheap replacement.

We’ve got a 2019 Challenger with CarPlay and it’s not getting replaced just because Apple may release a phone with no lighting port. We’ll just delay future phone purchases as well. ?‍♂️

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Man, this is getting a bit ridiculous. They're going to make buying an iPhone so much more complicated than it should be. Why can't they just stick with Pro and non-Pro? So 4 models at most if they really want to offer two sizes for each model.

Because people don’t like how big a phone is and people don’t like how small a phone is and people don’t like FaceID and people don’t like TouchID and people want only the best cameras and people don’t want to pay what a phone with the best cameras cost BUT some of those don’t want 4 or 5 year old cameras either and Bezels are ok except when Bezels are not ok.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
And they will continue to sell the previous gen to make the whole thing even more complicated as it already is.

iPad (new, yet worse than the oldeAir)
iPad Air
iPad Pro
different pens depending on the device

MacBook Air
MacBook Pro
yet no „MacBook“ so the MacBook Air is new but the iPad Air is old? Que?

iPhone 11
iPhone 11 Pro (yet smaller than the entry model iPhone 11)
iPhone 11 Pro Max
= tried to explain this to people. They didn’t get it.

in a Perfect World there would be a

MacBook
MacBook Pro

iPad
iPad Pro

iPhone
iPhone Pro

But I get it, you need an excuse to keep the prices high
Why would a perfect world only have 2 models?

In a perfect world, there would be at least 60 models of iPhone, from 4.0” to 7.0” in 0.1” increments. In both regular and Pro. Then I could have my perfect iPhone, the 4.9” iPhone Pro.

For iPad there should be at least 240 models, from 7.0” to 15.0”, again in 0.1” increments, in regular, Air and Pro.

Don’t even get me started on MacBooks.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
My guess is the OLED panels will be different in each. There is a new, thinner OLED display that will likely be on the Pro models. As a result, Pro models will likely feature both FaceID and under screen TouchID. Pricing will be interesting, and there will likely be six models in total. The line up makes perfect sense.

$399 iPhone Classic LCD 3GB RAM, 64GB single camera
$499 iPhone 11 XR LCD 3GB RAM, 64GB single camera
$599 (or $649) iPhone 12 5.4 inch OLED 4GB RAM, 64GB dual camera
$699 (or $749) iPhone 12 6.1 inch OLED 4GB RAM, 64GB dual camera
$999 iPhone 12 Pro 6.1 inch OLED+ 6GB RAM, 128GB triple camera with depth of field
$1099 iPhone 12 Pro 6.7 inch OLED+ 6GB RAM, 128GB triple camera with depth of field

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
This is a rumor. Apple has not announced anything, and it is likely that even Apple hasn't nailed down the lineup for phones that won't be released for almost a year.
[automerge]1575566463[/automerge]

Yeah let's all get worked about a RUMOR about unannounced products that won't be available for nearly a year.
They’re locked. Manufacturing begins in seven months. And there’s almost no reason to go to USB-C, and plenty of reasons not to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.