Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Hope everyone is ready for the $100 increase for the 6.1” iPhone 12. If apple goes this route the 5.4” will almost surely take over the $699 price point.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
What you are missing is this, BASIC MATH SKILLS!

The iPhone I have, the 11 Pro Max has a 6.5" screen.

If this article is correct, the replacement for the iPhone 11 Pro Max (remember, the iPhone I have) in 2020, will have a 6.7" screen, which is bigger than 6.5".

:apple:
You can buy the 6.1” Pro as a replacement for the 6.5” Pro you find too big. Or are you complaining there’s not a 6.2” or 6.3”?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Way too much overlap between models. This would be a very 90s Apple thing to do.
Going a little bit overboard maybe, but it's not necessarily that much more than they've had in previous years if you think about it:

SE 2 - 4.7/ 5.5
12S - 5.4/ 6.1
12S Pro - 6.1/ 6.7
Neo X (High end totally wireless model)

Not that much more confusing than 2017/18 lineup:

SE
6S/plus
7/plus
8/plus
X

I guess where it might be a tad more difficult is that the 6s-8 were effectively the same phone with iterative updates so it was relatively easy to gauge the price/performance. For this theoretical 2021 lineup you'd have to decide first which tiers offered the screen size you wanted, then whether you wanted Face ID or Touch ID (or both), if you need single, dual or triple cameras, if you want OLED or LCD, and whether you are willing to pay more to get what you want or whether to compromise on one or more features. This is actually due to a lack of overlap, though. More an unfocused feature set (too many options). Though ultimately if it means Apple can appeal to people who want vastly different things I guess it's manageable.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
You can buy the 6.1” Pro as a replacement for the 6.5” Pro you find too big. Or are you complaining there’s not a 6.2” or 6.3”?

No, I was not really complaining at all. Go back and read my original post, #19, and then I think you will understand that this guy either read the article wrong, or my post wrong, or truly has math issues.

All I said was that I think the 11 Pro Max is slightly too big, and really it only bothers me when I put it in certain pant or short pockets, especially jeans, and especially when you sit down.

I love the screen when I am using it, and I will love the 6.7" screen, it will just be a slightly bigger pain in the ass to put it in certain pant or short pockets and sit down, haha.

:apple:

BrooksA

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2014
Halleluja, seems like the small phone with an edge to edge screen that a proportion of SE owners are holding out for may happen next year. Tbh even if it is not a pro model it will be a huge upgrade from an SE. I am starting to save now. Thanks Apple!

Also, not sure why existing 11 pro owners are upset about the slight increase in screen size. I am almost certain that with a change to a flat sided design and smaller bezels the phones themselves could be no bigger.

Reactions: jpn

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
So 1st half of 2020 is when SE owners can upgrade? They've been stringing us along for over a year now with promises of a new model. And it's still too big.

Agreed. I want 4" iPhone SE2, shaped like the iPhone 5S, with iPhone 8 parts inside, and Touch ID. I'm sold. That simple. Flat rectangular slab of steel and glass, such a beautiful design.

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
Why are we talking about notches in 2021 phones...FaceID is not worth it guys...

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Man the 6.7" model will be amazing. I love the Plus / Max sized versions. Can't wait.

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London

Apple plans to release five new iPhone models in 2020, according to the latest prediction from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

In a research note with TF International Securities, obtained by MacRumors, Kuo outlined his expectations for a so-called iPhone SE 2 with a 4.7-inch LCD display in the first half of 2020, followed by a higher-end all-OLED lineup consisting of 5.4-inch, two 6.1-inch, and 6.7-inch models in the second half of the year.

kuo-iphone-2020-2021-800x460.jpg

Kuo expects all four higher-end models to support 5G with a Qualcomm X55 modem, adding that availability of models with Sub-6G-only or Sub-6G-plus-mmWave types of 5G will vary by country.

Kuo expects the iPhone models with mmWave to be available in five markets, including the United States, Canada, Japan, Korea, and the United Kingdom, while Apple may disable Sub-6G functionality in countries that do not offer 5G service or have a shallow 5G penetration rate to reduce production costs.

Four new high-end iPhones in 2020 lines up with a prediction shared by JPMorgan analyst Samik Chatterjee on Wednesday.

The so-called iPhone SE 2 is expected to resemble the iPhone 8, including a 4.7-inch display with bezels and a Touch ID home button, but with a faster A13 chip and 3GB of RAM. The device will continue to have a single-lens rear camera, according to Kuo, like the original iPhone SE and the iPhone 8.

The four higher-end iPhones are expected to resemble the iPhone 4, including a new metal frame that will likely sport flatter edges.

All in all, we can expect the following iPhone lineup in 2020 if Kuo is accurate:
  • 4.7-inch iPhone SE 2: LCD display, single-lens rear camera, no 5G support
    5.4-inch iPhone 12: OLED display, dual-lens rear camera, 5G support
    6.1-inch iPhone 12: OLED display, dual-lens rear camera, 5G support
    6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro: OLED display, triple-lens rear camera, 5G support
    6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max: OLED display, triple-lens rear camera, 5G support
Also See: Kuo: Apple to Launch 'Completely Wireless' iPhone Without Lightning Connector and 'iPhone SE 2 Plus' With Touch ID Power Button in 2021

Article Link: Kuo: Apple to Launch Five iPhones in 2020, Including 5.4-Inch, Two 6.1-Inch, and 6.7-Inch Models With 5G
Finally a range which makes sense.
iPhone Classic
iPhone 12
iPhone 12 Max
iPhone 12 Pro
iPhone 12 Pro Max
And in 2021 the 12 and 12 Max become the “cheaper” iPhones.
What I don’t understand is why the Pro Max doesn’t get 4 cameras.

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Too many devices in current and future lineup. Apple should not be second Samsung with zillions of smartphone models. It was never a Steve Jobs model. Regarding comparing size of new and older models we need to remember about weight: new models are too heavy and looks like serious regression versus iPhone 6s or 8 models that are light, thin - just handy. Taking iPhone 11 or 11 Pro in hand is like taking a brick during march against Margaret Thatcher in 1984.

Last edited:

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I’m disappointed in this rumour. I have tiny hands, so the 5.8” 11 Pro is already too big for me. I wouldn’t want to sacrifice having the best cameras for a smaller size. Don’t know why Apple thinks bigger = better.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
The 5.4" sounds pretty awesome, an affordable reasonable sized phone for once. (Sure I wish it was maybe a bit smaller at like 5.1", but as long as it is less wide than the 8 I'm in)

Reactions: xpxp2002

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
It’s amusing to me that tech-forum types, who make it their business to understand tech, show concern for non-tech types who will apparently be confused by multiple models. I think the reality is a little closer to - people just buy stuff they like that‘s within their budget while the tech-gurus froth over how confusing it all is ?

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
If true, Apple keeps missing the mark with me:
-I’ve always preferred smaller phones and they stopped releasing new models.
-My eyes are getting older and I’m finally ready to migrate to a larger phone. But oled only. I’m sensitive to pwm.

Reactions: xpxp2002

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Instead of multiple models I wish 1,8m power cable that does not change consistency to jelly after one year :)

robrobrobro

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
No charging port for 2021 seems insane. Even on brand new cars, Qi charging is far from ubiquitous at this point in time. So in less than two years, most people buying a new phone won't be able to charge it in their car.

I don't mind next years lineup, but I still don't get why they don't simplify further. Wouldn't it lower production costs and make things simpler for consumers? 3 models: 5.4" ($599), 6.1" ($799), 6.7" ($999).

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
If true, Apple keeps missing the mark with me:
-I’ve always preferred smaller phones and they stopped releasing new models.
-My eyes are getting older and I’m finally ready to migrate to a larger phone. But oled only. I’m sensitive to pwm.

How is Apple missing the mark? Both of the requirements you noted are met.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
5 models? I hope Apple put these phones on a carousel so I can spin it around and not have to go from table to table to do a comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.