Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
That's what I ordered. Now I'm trying to decide whether to move over my entire old hard drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner) or just specific files. I'm convinced that I've got a software issue slowing down my current mini, and I don't want to bring it with me to the new one.

king_moot

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2020
So, nine months later, and my Mac Mini is still super fast with the USB SSD disc. Many thanks again, for the clear and concise instructions.

When I go to the storage information now, it obviously displays two discs, the SATA drive (which has the label ***), and the USB SSD Drive (which has the label Untitled). Can I reformat and re-use the SATA Disk just for additional storage? As far as I can see, it simply contains the data at the point I cloned it to the USB.

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2016
So, nine months later, and my Mac Mini is still super fast with the USB SSD disc. Many thanks again, for the clear and concise instructions.

When I go to the storage information now, it obviously displays two discs, the SATA drive (which has the label ***), and the USB SSD Drive (which has the label Untitled). Can I reformat and re-use the SATA Disk just for additional storage? As far as I can see, it simply contains the data at the point I cloned it to the USB.
yes, you can reformat it and use it as low speed storage. I use mine for things like movies and music - which doesn't need GB/s transfer speeds.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
k moot wrote in 127:
"When I go to the storage information now, it obviously displays two discs, the SATA drive (which has the label ***), and the USB SSD Drive (which has the label Untitled)"

You can rename those disks whatever you want the names to be.
Just click on them and rename them.

IF the internal drive is the same size as the external USB SSD, my recommendation is that you use a cloning utility (CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper) to clone the contents of the boot SSD to the (slower) internal drive.

Do this, and you'll have an immediately-bootable-to-the-finder backup in case anything ever goes wrong with the SSD.

But you know that will never happen.
Right...?
Right...?

CCC can be downloaded here, and used free for 30 days:

Cache_In

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Would like some guidance on what I should do with my Mac Mini Late 2014 (2.6GHz with 8GB memory & 1TB storage). This is our home computer to host all our pictures and files but was never used for day to day use. However, I have to use this for a while as a primary computer for awhile (2-4 months) and noticed it is very slow upon wake up and takes forever to register clicks and react while using basic apps like browser, photos & document editing. It is running Big Sur.

My question is - Will making the external SSD update provide a new lease for this or I should just bite the bullet and buy the new Mac mini with M1 chip ? My longer term use would be limited to Photo storage & editing, document storage and maybe a media server use. However in the short term I do need to use it for heavy keynote, and some design tools like figma & sketch.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
An external SSD (such as the Samsung T5) should make it much faster. I ran my 2012 Quad Core Mini from an external Samsung T3 for several years and used demanding software like Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro. Worked great.

Personally, I would not have upgraded a 2014 Mini to Big Sur. Did the slowness start before or after you upgraded? If the Mini only recently became slow, I would try to find the cause of that change before throwing new hardware at it.

Cache_In

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
An external SSD (such as the Samsung T5) should make it much faster. I ran my 2012 Quad Core Mini from an external Samsung T3 for several years and used demanding software like Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro. Worked great.

Personally, I would not have upgraded a 2014 Mini to Big Sur. Did the slowness start before or after you upgraded? If the Mini only recently became slow, I would try to find the cause of that change before throwing new hardware at it.
I don't think it was related to Big Sur specifically as the slowness was something I noticed even before the upgrade. If there are any pointers to also optimize the system like removing background use by default services or changing any settings I am up for trying those out along with the SSD upgrade.

Also while looking for the T7 drive I saw a deal for the similar spec WD (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...olid-state-drive-blue/6428007.p?skuId=6428007) for $129. Is this a good option or should I stick to Samsung as highlighted by many in the thread ? I am a bit confused as to the max speed you can get out of the Mac mini ports. What is the best port to use for connecting to external SSD? Thunderbolt 2.0 (with an adapter to connect to SSD) or just stay with the USB 3.0 ?

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Sorry, I don't know anything about that WD drive. Not sure if you can use an adapter for a T7 on the 2014 Mini thunderbolt port, doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. Those adapters are pretty expensive IIRC. I posted speeds on the older T3 and the T7 on the previous page here. I think the T3 speed is about as fast as any USB SSD will be on your Mini.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ow.2165265/page-5?post=29132218#post-29132218

If you want speed, use an internal SSD. I posted about this here

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ow.2165265/page-3?post=28294866#post-28294866

OWC has a video here

ronster22

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Would like some guidance on what I should do with my Mac Mini Late 2014 (2.6GHz with 8GB memory & 1TB storage). This is our home computer to host all our pictures and files but was never used for day to day use. However, I have to use this for a while as a primary computer for awhile (2-4 months) and noticed it is very slow upon wake up and takes forever to register clicks and react while using basic apps like browser, photos & document editing. It is running Big Sur.

My question is - Will making the external SSD update provide a new lease for this or I should just bite the bullet and buy the new Mac mini with M1 chip ? My longer term use would be limited to Photo storage & editing, document storage and maybe a media server use. However in the short term I do need to use it for heavy keynote, and some design tools like figma & sketch.
I asked the same question as you here ( I have the same Mac Mini as you) and like Boyd01 said, I’m going for the internal SSD (just waiting for the deals tomorrow). That should last me until the next Mx iteration arrives.

Reactions: Boyd01

Cache_In

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Thanks! For now I just went ahead with the WD external SSD setup instead of dealing with the disassembly for internal. Though its not the max speed with USB, it’s still way better (got ~420 for read & write), so I am going to stick with it for now.

king_moot

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2020

This is the exact situation I found myself in (a few pages back), and I went for the SSD option. Which option you want to go for really is up to you, the SSD option is obviously cheaper. For me personally, it's really has transformed my 2014 mac mini back to how it was on day one.

I don't do photo editing, but I do use it for doc storage, Timecode vinyl / Traktor DJ-ing, and video editing with iMovie - all of these activities run very nicely now.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
It was the only Apple product I regret purchasing. So freaking slow that my non-technical wife would not even use it. I finally turned it into an Apple Cache box, and it worked well for that until I replaced it with a newer surplus Mini.

Then I just gave it away and good riddance.

zahanm

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
For anyone else picking the easiest path here (external USB SSD), it's worth noting that a straight copy (with Carbon Copy Cleaner) is not going to make a bootable drive any more if you're on Big Sur. Instead, after making the copy, you can install macOS Big Sur (using the stock installer, just pick the external SSD in the first step) to it, which then makes it bootable.

See these instructions:

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
I had an external SSD on my 2014 mini and yes it is a night and day difference, but I recently switched to an internal NVMe SSD. The price of the internal SSD, the required adapter, and the torx set worked out cheaper than the Samsung SSD I was using previously. If you're looking for a permanent solution, definitely go for the internal upgrade.

Also, the speed of my HDD maxed out at ~50MB/s whereas the internal SSD is > ~550MB/s.
Thank you! I have spent the last two days learning enough about SATA, PCIe, NVMe, SSD, HDD, 4GB RAM, 8GB RAM, OWC, adapters, 16x12, blades, M1, silicon, enclosures, torx, and on and on and on that I could design an Apple operating system on my kitchen table. Your comment is all the information I really wanted to know.

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
@Boyd01 @getrealbro @Fishrrman Thanks for all your advice and help!

Based on everything I have learned, I think the OWC | Aura Pro X2 | 1.0TB NVMe SSD Add-In Solution for HDD-only Mac mini (Late 2014) is the way to go for me because I want to run Adobe Creative Cloud Premier Pro (2020). Since this is my intended use, I can't go back to OSX Mojave/El Capitan/Catalina/Lion/etc.

Before you all laugh me off the forum, I assure you that I have successfully created video content and even a few podcast episodes with my sorry little mini. But as you can guess, it was painfully slow--I would literally execute a few commands and then go out and work in the garden for a while, come back and do a few more edits until it needed another break, leave to do the dishes, come back to save the latest clip, repeat. Basically, it was like the time I worked in Italy.

I really can't afford a new machine right now, so I'm hoping to turn my Mac mini into a Mac Mighty. Any advice for this use and my plan?

Mac mini (Late 2014) | 1.4 GHz | i5 | 4GB RAM | Big Sur v11.4

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Maybe you can check out some used i3 or i5 Mac minis? Don't know where you are located, but the prices of these are slowly going down.

You can upgrade the RAM in these 2018 models yourself. If you need more storage, you can also connect extrenal SSDs.

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
Maybe you can check out some used i3 or i5 Mac minis? Don't know where you are located, but the prices of these are slowly going down.

You can upgrade the RAM in these 2018 models yourself. If you need more storage, you can also connect extrenal SSDs.
Not sure I follow you. I already own an i5 model, so why would I want to downgrade with a newer model that I would then need to upgrade, instead of just upgrading the model I already own?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
@opeter is talking about the i3 and i5 2018 Mini. Apparently you have a 2014 Mini (since that is the subject of this thread). The 2018 i3 Mini would be a huge upgrade from any of the 2014 Mini's, the geekbench rating is at least 50% higher than the top of the line 2014 Mini but in reality it would be even faster due to the other internal changes. And the USB-C ports are significantly faster than the internal SSD on 2014 Mini, plus the 2018 can be upgraded to 64gb of RAM.

Reactions: opeter

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
You own and i5 model from 2014. I suggested a used i3 or i5 model from 2018.

i3 in 2018 is (much) faster than i5 in 2014.

4e6TH0v.jpg

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
Got it. Thanks @opeter; that's good information for people considering an upgrade.

At this time, I'm just looking for the right fix on the Late 2014. ;)

• Love
Reactions: opeter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.