Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Assuming we're discussing the 1.4ghz 2014 Mini in your signature.... the problem is, there's a real limit to how much you can "fix" it since the 4gb RAM is not upgradeable. The OWC SSD that you linked to should be about as fast as you can get for your Mini - which is good - but I'd just question spending another $219 on such a limited machine.

I also have the same Mini and used it as a media server for a number of years but replaced it with a faster 2014 Mini with more RAM. The old 1.4ghz model just sits in the closet now, it would be like spending "good money after bad" to upgrade it. You might at least consider selling yours for whatever you can get and applying that towards a used 2018 i3 Mini. That would be a much, much better machine.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Got it. Thanks @opeter; that's good information for people considering an upgrade.

At this time, I'm just looking for the right fix on the Late 2014. ;)
You can't. That is the end of the road for that machine.

As you already wrote, your only option is removing the HDD and replace with an SATA SSD or similar (or NVMe SSD with the help of an adapter as you mentioned the OWC Aura SSD - BTW: totally not worth it). Anyway that won't magically upgrade your RAM memory.

This will always be bottleneck, even if the 1.4 GHz CPU is still capable to do some things.

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
Assuming we're discussing the 1.4ghz 2014 Mini in your signature.... the problem is, there's a real limit to how much you can "fix" it since the 4gb RAM is not upgradeable. The OWC SSD that you linked to should be about as fast as you can get for your Mini - which is good - but I'd just question spending another $219 on such a limited machine.

I also have the same Mini and used it as a media server for a number of years but replaced it with a faster 2014 Mini with more RAM. The old 1.4ghz model just sits in the closet now, it would be like spending "good money after bad" to upgrade it. You might at least consider selling yours for whatever you can get and applying that towards a used 2018 i3 Mini. That would be a much, much better machine.
Alright, I'm starting to get confused here.

The beginning of this thread lays out the problem that another user (@someguy) with an identical machine has with his mini's performance. He reported that he installed a Samsung SSD, maybe--he can't actually remember what he used, but that it drastically improved performance so much that his kids now play Fortnite or whatever. That's a far more intensive use than what I have in mind, so this seems like the "fix" that I need.

Then @getrealbro laid out the three options to upgrade this famously not upgradeable machine, including the HDD "bypass" solution, which confirms the OP's solution.

But recent threads from @Boyd01 and @opeter seem to contradict all that advice. There are a lot of philosophies in this thread, but I just need a real solution for the real world of my real life.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
To be clear: the only option, you can upgrade in your Mac mini i5 1.4 with 4 GB of RAM from 2014 is the HDD (Hard Disk Drive). You can upgrade it with something based on SSD technology. Or, if you don't have the patience for doing that (or you fear, that something get broken), you can try to connect an external case with an SSD. Mind you, that the external SSD will work trough USB 3.0...

The (with SSD) upgraded machine will be definitely faster/snappier than using it with the regular 500GB HDD, that you have in there now.

But now, back to the memory problem with this computer: 4 GB of RAM (Random Access Memory) will sooner or later show its limitations in everydays tasks. That is why we suggested, you don't invest much* (or at all) in this computer, but rather try to look for other (newer) Mac mini models.

* especially not 219 $ in the form of the OWC Aura SSD

Reactions: StoneJack

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
4 GB of RAM (Random Access Memory) will sooner or later show its limitations in everydays tasks
Thanks. I think that was clearly described by @Boyd01 from the beginning. I definitely understand that now, and won't make this mistake again.

OK, so now I'm back to the least surgical option, which is the Samsung T5 external SSD, and I just boot Big Sur from that device. It's on sale for less than $90, which makes me happy!

I think I just got lost along the way as the discussion developed over time, but actually, it was always B1. ;-)

Reactions: opeter and Boyd01

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
A good, practical solution for the near term and you'll always find uses for USB SSD's. I still use three T3's that I originally bought for my 2012 Mini.

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
A good, practical solution for the near term and you'll always find uses for USB SSD's. I still use three T3's that I originally bought for my 2012 Mini.
Thanks, Boyd. Unbelievably, I managed to pick up a T7 on flash sale for $79 at Best Buy today. Now I'm wondering if I can use it on my MBP, which has been out of order since I spilled a boiling teakettle on it a few years ago. Miraculously, it might actually be salvageable. Fingers crossed! ?

Last edited:

imercado

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I know this thread is kinda dead/inactive right now, but since I chimed in back when I was doing some Big Sur Beta testing in 2020, I thought I'd also throw out another nugget that would make most people on this forum gasp:

Install Windows.

Yeah, I know. Sort of sacrilegious. But the amusing reality is that the Windows 8.1 Pro install I set up to test as a potential Media Center Home Theater PC runs complete circles around any OS X / macOS installation on this poor little hamstrung stock 4GB 1.4GHz Mac Mini. It's almost as if Apple intentionally dogged down the performance, hoping it would drive more sales to higher end models from frustrated owners. Attached is a screenshot from a Windows HDD test tool that shows MUCH better performance from that little 5400RPM HDD. My experience running multiple web browsers and office apps today has been about as good as this box performs when it runs macOS with an SSD. No joke.

Remember...I'm just the messenger :cool:

Attachments

• Mac Mini 2014 Stock 500GB HDD Performance Results.jpg
    Mac Mini 2014 Stock 500GB HDD Performance Results.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 78

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Yes, I agree with you, Windows is definitely faster on these older machines. There is no heretic thing here.

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
I know this thread is kinda dead/inactive right now, but since I chimed in back when I was doing some Big Sur Beta testing in 2020, I thought I'd also throw out another nugget that would make most people on this forum gasp:

Install Windows.

Yeah, I know. Sort of sacrilegious. But the amusing reality is that the Windows 8.1 Pro install I set up to test as a potential Media Center Home Theater PC runs complete circles around any OS X / macOS installation on this poor little hamstrung stock 4GB 1.4GHz Mac Mini. It's almost as if Apple intentionally dogged down the performance, hoping it would drive more sales to higher end models from frustrated owners. Attached is a screenshot from a Windows HDD test tool that shows MUCH better performance from that little 5400RPM HDD. My experience running multiple web browsers and office apps today has been about as good as this box performs when it runs macOS with an SSD. No joke.

Remember...I'm just the messenger :cool:
Nothing ever dies on the Internet. I have two questions:
1. Which version of Windows should I use?
2. Should I download Windows OS onto the T7 from the MacMini, or from a PC?

Reactions: Boyd01

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You would install Windows using bootcamp from Apple. AFAIK, it is only officially supported on the Mac's internal disk (which, I assume, is still the slow 5400RPM hard drive?). I've seen a number of threads in our Windows forum about installing on external disks but haven't followed them myself.

Here's an article from OWC that might be of interest. But note that they say: "This is an advanced process with quite a few pitfalls that can trip you up".

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
You would install Windows using bootcamp from Apple. AFAIK, it is only officially supported on the Mac's internal disk (which, I assume, is still the slow 5400RPM hard drive?). I've seen a number of threads in our Windows forum about installing on external disks but haven't followed them myself.

Here's an article from OWC that might be of interest. But note that they say: "This is an advanced process with quite a few pitfalls that can trip you up".

Got it. So we're back to installing a previous version of MacOS on an external Samsung T7 500G SSD. As usual, the MacForum discussion represents a robust diversity of options:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You kind of lost me here... what are you currently running on your 2014 Mini? Not sure why you are flagging me as El Capitan. That operating system was pre-installed on my old 1.4ghz 2014 Mini, but that machine was retired a number of years ago and hasn't left the darkness of the closet since then. What I posted above is still true for me.

My 2014 Mini is on Mojave. It is only used as a media server and I need iTunes. My 2018 and 2012 Mini's are on Catalina.

I still have Sierra on my 2013 MacBook Air, but that machine is no longer in active use. I think that operating system is getting a little too old for day to day use, there will be browser issues and security concerns. I suppose there could be some work-arounds, but not for me.

Will also say that nothing has changed the opinions that @opeter and I posted above... it's just not worth investing much time or money on a machine that is so limited.

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
You kind of lost me here... what are you currently running on your 2014 Mini? Not sure why you are flagging me as El Capitan. That operating system was pre-installed on my old 1.4ghz 2014 Mini, but that machine was retired a number of years ago and hasn't left the darkness of the closet since then. What I posted above is still true for me.

I still have Sierra on my 2013 MacBook Air, but that machine is no longer in active use. I think that operating system is getting a little too old for day to day use, there will be browser issues and security concerns. I suppose there could be some work-arounds, but not for me.

Will also say that nothing has changed the opinions that @opeter and I posted above... it's just not worth investing much time or money on a machine that is so limited.
I upgraded to Monterey on the machine.

It sounds like you have so many computers that they're just collecting dust in a closet. Can you just send me a better computer from your closet, and we can archive this thread? I'll pay for shipping. :cool:

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
Sorry, there aren't any better computers in my closet, most of them are old and dead. ;)
Right. So let's not indulge in opinions about whose time is worth what and other consumerism fantasies, and focus on the question at hand--how can users speed up the machine they already have and don't intend to replace?

The real question is "why isn't there a rubric for choosing your own suite of apps, browsers, and services that deliver bespoke value to the individual user?" The entire industry takes a huckster approach, social engineering, to corral billions of users into using their subscription services and/or giving up their personal data. Regulations are necessary, but until then, it would be nice if people like me could just refer to a rubric to help us make informed choices for what we actually want. You know, capitalism?

Oh, but wait. We're just sticking to the point here...

You've been a great help in sorting out many relevant details, and now I just need to decide which version of Mac OS to download on the T7 as the boot system. I want the most functionality possible, which was a defining characteristic of the OS9 systems, and the most privacy protection possible (not against Russian hackers, but against Apple and the FANG gang who steal my personal data to support their business models). I decided to use my work-issued Windows device to run Creative Cloud, which was my original intent for a souped-up Mac Mini.

Yosemite seems to be the right choice to access and use my old files offline, like iTunes music and Office for Mac, but I'm trying to figure out how to navigate the security risk that hackers pose against the privacy risk that the services and devices themselves pose. I don't want to share data with other network devices, which is where most of the newer OS versions differ from the older versions.

@avz is the only person in this thread to recommend a specific OS based on the limitations of the MacMini. I'd like to know more about the reasoning there, because I think it gets at the crux of the decision. My plan was to try the Yosemite OS first, and then upgrade to Sierra if it doesn't work. But that's a Black Box solution. I would prefer to make an informed choice.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have some expensive old software for CAD and 3d that won't run on anything newer than Mountain Lion. I used to keep my 2012 Mini on that, but it was too limiting in terms of compatibility with my newer software and there were few (if any) browsers that worked properly. So I moved to Sierra back around 2016 but installed it on a Samsung T3 external SSD and booted from that. I kept Mountain Lion on the Mini's internal SSD (which was the operating system the 2012 Mini originally shipped with). Today I have moved beyond all this, but I still use Sierra and Mountail Lion virtual machnes to run my old software on a 2018 Mini.

I don't think virtual machines are a viable option for your 2014 base Mini. But you could install an internal SSD as has been discussed here already and setup a dual-boot system with whatever MacOS versions you need. The 2014 Mini originally shipped with Yosemite and some people feel the original operating system is optimal for a Mac. The security issues would concern me however. Somebody else might be able to address that - I can't.

You should determine the newest version of MacOS that still supports the software you need. Mojave is the last version to support 32-bit apps, but that doesn't mean it is compatible with all 32-bit apps. It should get another 6 months or so of security updates.

Anyway, I'd say to keep Monterey if you're happy with it, then either get an internal or another external SSD and install whatever legacy MacOS you need and limit your usage of it to your 32-bit software while doing things like e-mail, shopping, etc. on Monterey (or another MacOS that is still supported).

Last edited:

MAGFoxRox

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2021
I have some expensive old software for CAD and 3d that won't run on anything newer than Mountain Lion. I used to keep my 2012 Mini on that, but it was too limiting in terms of compatibility with my newer software and there were few (if any) browsers that worked properly. So I moved to Sierra back around 2016 but installed it on a Samsung T3 external SSD and booted from that. I kept Mountain Lion on the Mini's internal SSD (which was the operating system the 2012 Mini originally shipped with). Today I have moved beyond all this, but I still use Sierra and Mountail Lion virtual machnes to run my old software on a 2018 Mini.

I don't think virtual machines are a viable option for your 2014 base Mini. But you could install an internal SSD as has been discussed here already and setup a dual-boot system with whatever MacOS versions you need. The 2014 Mini originally shipped with Yosemite and some people feel the original operating system is optimal for a Mac. The security issues would concern me however. Somebody else might be able to address that - I can't.

You should determine the newest version of MacOS that still supports the software you need. Mojave is the last version to support 32-bit apps, but that doesn't mean it is compatible with all 32-bit apps. It should get another 6 months or so of security updates.

Anyway, I'd say to keep Monterey if you're happy with it, then either get an internal or another external SSD and install whatever legacy MacOS you need and limit your usage of it to your 32-bit software while doing things like e-mail, shopping, etc. on Monterey (or another MacOS that is still supported).
Thank you! This is all extremely helpful information with context. I am just now at the point where I need to decide a proportional partition size for the Time Machine on that dual boot SSD. Any rule of thumb you would like to share?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
IMO, time machine (or any backups) should always be on their own, dedicated disk and not a partition. This could be a cheap hard drive, a SSD isn't really necessary for backups.

But "if you must", Apple suggests that a time machine disk should be about twice as large as the disk you are backing up.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I am also using a Mac mini 2014 (look at my sign) as a scanning workstation and I am on High Sierra. Why? Well:

1.) because this is the first MacOS/macOS with APFS file system support for SSDs
2.) it does run 32-bit applications without any warnings (Mojave 11.4 has some quirks in that regards) and my older scanners drivers isn't compatible with newer MacOS/macOS systems.

On the other hand, I would use Sierra or El Capitan, if you ask me (to remind you: this machine has 8 GB of RAM!). The Mac Operating Sytem and the applications are getting more and more demanding.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
@avz is the only person in this thread to recommend a specific OS based on the limitations of the MacMini. I'd like to know more about the reasoning there, because I think it gets at the crux of the decision. My plan was to try the Yosemite OS first, and then upgrade to Sierra if it doesn't work. But that's a Black Box solution. I would prefer to make an informed choice.
The reason I suggested Sierra as the preferred OS for the Mac mini is that it is recent enough and not as RAM hungry as High Sierra and above. Also it is still receives critical updates from Apple.

Reactions: opeter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.