Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
i5 version is not available yet. I shall go for i7 as I don’t need Xeon. Which do you recommend? X1 Extreme or P1. I wonder which has a better battery life. I guess the GPU determines in this case?

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Some people said that the internal of the P1 is the same as the Extreme. What do you think of such thermal design (12:00)?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
actually really like Windows 10 in its current iteration. I know it’s a bit sacrilege to say anywhere but her
Its better then what it was ;)

The advantage of windows can be a disadvantage to some. You have the opportunity to change or configure the system to a higher degree then macOS. The downside is that it can cause more headaches.

What bothers me with anything from windows 8 and beyond is the inconsistency, I mean there's the control panel, then settings app. Where do I go to make a change and in some cases both. I really believe they (MS) needs to step back, document every inconsistent UI and make a concerted effort to unify the experience. I know that won't happen but its a pet peeve.

Reactions: macintoshmac

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Mirametrix Glance technology, do any of you have any experience with it?

Lenovo states that the Extreme has Mirametrix Glance Technology which merges face-, eye-, and gaze-tracking, so the cursor automatically focuses and application windows shift just by moving your eyes! You'll enjoy a more intuitive and productive interaction, especially when displaying across multiple monitors.

Does it actually work well? Or is it more gimmick?

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'm so tired of hearing about how MacBook Pro's "can't have x,y,z" because of the materials and extreme engineering and thinness, etc..

There is simply zero excuse for Apple not to have a machine like this that caters to serious professionals who want and need so much of whats on offer here. Give it an aluminum wedge shape if need be.

It's just heartbreaking to see the hardware I actually want but that can't run the OS I prefer (macOS).

After seeing what Lenovo and Huawei can do, it's clear to me that Apple just uses "design" as an excuse in order to reduce it's costs. Apple has become increasingly consumer hostile, artificially pumping up it's margin on the forced in-house upgrades and of late ramping up the nickel & diming to the point where the box will soon be an additional purchase. Very clear to me that forced obsolescence is the order of the day...

Q-6

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm waiting for reviews. If thermals are decent, no screen issues and if fans aren't too loud, this is my next laptop.

It's either this or p72. Now I'm glad I've waited for Lenovo. Will use it with Linux since I'm really tired of win10 quirks and stupid updates. Will use mbp for affinity/sketch needs, but for programming linux it is :)

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Is that a pointing stick? Never knew they were still a thing today lol. Bit of an eyesore with the red dot and red lined mouse buttons above the touch pad (?).

Thinkshutter only on base model, charging port (not USB-C), 4k panel isn't 10-bit like that P72

Nonetheless, a viable option for a self-upgrade cMBP user.

forge002

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
West Sussex
Im so tempted to buy one, its available on the UK Lenovo site but just holding off until reviews start coming in. Any idea when we will start seeing reviews for these?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Is that a pointing stick? Never knew they were still a thing today lol. Bit of an eyesore with the red dot and red lined mouse buttons above the touch pad (?).

Thinkshutter only on base model, charging port (not USB-C), 4k panel isn't 10-bit like that P72

Nonetheless, a viable option for a self-upgrade cMBP user.

I hate those, I'm surprised they kept with it. I was hoping when IBM sold line, it would no drop that from the design.

Among Thinkpad fans the trackpoint is probably the most important design feature. Being able to navigate the mouse without moving your hands from the home position on the keyboard is actually quite useful. There would be revolt were they to get rid of it. It's also become a branding icon for them. The red accents are all derived from the trackpoint and the LED info button on the cover is a red dot in reference to it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can't speak for all use cases of course, but when I'm deep into programming (famously called 'the zone'), little tiny dot is quite useful. And once you get used to it, you begin to use it even on devices that don't have it :)
I've been in that zone as well, but I preferred a mouse.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Always liked the trackpoint. You get used to it after a while and you tend to want to have it on other machines. Guess it depends on the user.

Lenovo really upped their game. If they made a model with a hexacore and 1070 Max-Q I'd buy one right away. They're almost like Apple in how they infamously use lower end graphics other than their workstation lines that have Quadro GPU's.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I actually acclimated to that red pointing nub pretty quickly just when playing with them in stores.

I quickly saw how handy it could be even if you only used it for moving the cursor when in typing sessions. It seemed really useful to keep your hands in the correct spot while being able to super easily move the cursor/nudge it, edit something real quick.

It must have a following still or it wouldn't be there.
Heck, there are even desktop mechanicals being made with a nub (TEX Yoda I believe it's called?)

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Well, I was still having some issues with my MBP #3, including some incidents of key presses not responding so I made the call to return it and I placed an order for an X1 Extreme. It’s the first Think Pad I have owned since the late 90’s.

I will try to keep up with a rolling review once it arrives.

I really wanted to like the MBP, which was why I kept trying them, but I believe there are some issues with at least a small percentage of them and I am not convinced that the addition of the silicone barrier fully addressed what is in some ways a flawed design with the keyboard .

It was issues with Dell and HP that switched me to Apple a decade or so ago. I suppose it is fitting that is is issues with Apple that have me looking at options to switch back to the PC world.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Well, I was still having some issues with my MBP #3, including some incidents of key presses not responding so I made the call to return it and I placed an order for an X1 Extreme. It’s the first Think Pad I have owned since the late 90’s.

I will try to keep up with a rolling review once it arrives.

I really wanted to like the MBP, which was why I kept trying them, but I believe there are some issues with at least a small percentage of them and I am not convinced that the addition of the silicone barrier fully addressed what is in some ways a flawed design with the keyboard .

It was issues with Dell and HP that switched me to Apple a decade or so ago. I suppose it is fitting that is is issues with Apple that have me looking at options to switch back to the PC world.
Sorry to hear about that. The question here is will you be ok without OSX?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Sorry to hear about that. The question here is will you be ok without OSX?

I think I will be fine. I have been used to OSX, but most of what I will be doing in the coming years is going to require me to run Windows in a VM anyway and after picking up a Surface Pro last year, I have become really comfortable with Windows 10.

That said, I still currently also have a 5K iMac and my wife has my old(er) 2016 MBP, so I can still keep up with what is going on with it and compare Mojave and the 2016 MBP directly during the 30-day return window.

If it doesn't work out with the Lenovo, perhaps I will take another stab at the MBP, but I don't use any Apple specific software such as Final Cut, so I don't believe it will be a tough transition.

Then again, I may end up coming to a similar conclusion as @maflynn and deciding I do miss the Apple ecosystem more than I thought I would. Who knows. :)

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Among Thinkpad fans the trackpoint is probably the most important design feature. Being able to navigate the mouse without moving your hands from the home position on the keyboard is actually quite useful. There would be revolt were they to get rid of it. It's also become a branding icon for them. The red accents are all derived from the trackpoint and the LED info button on the cover is a red dot in reference to it.
I don't mind using the pointing stick. Just haven't seen one in a long time so it took me back. The bright red bugs me though. Is the nub interchangeable? I'd prefer a grey color.

Anyone know if the 1080 panel 72% color gamut is for sRGB or Adobe?

Specs: http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad X1 Extreme/ThinkPad_X1_Extreme_Platform_Specifications.pdf

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
The Thinkpad nub is iconic. One of the things I think of when I think of Thinkpads is that nub. It's not perfect (tends to drift on it's own sometimes) but it's nice to have options and alternatives. Thinkpad designs are rugged and boring, and quite honestly that's how I like it, as odd as it may sound.

My very first computer was an IBM PS/2 desktop tower. My first laptop was also an IBM. They tend to keep on ticking. Pricing wise, you're definitely paying a Thinkpad tax on their higher end consumer and prosumer tech, similar to Apple, but at a slightly higher price to value ratio in my opinion. Apple has it's ecosystem that ties in their hardware with their software, and we do pay a premium for that "it just works" convenience.

The HDR display on the X1 Carbon is gorgeous and definitely worth the upgrade, at a very reasonable price. But I'll see how much worse their standard fare FHD display is on the X1E before I decide with one to keep. Have both on order. Patiently waiting for my order to arrive, hoping throttling isn't much of an issue. Really curious how well the i9 performs in such a compact chassis.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The Thinkpad nub is iconic. One of the things I think of when I think of Thinkpads is that nub. It's not perfect (tends to drift on it's own sometimes) but it's nice to have options and alternatives. Thinkpad designs are rugged and boring, and quite honestly that's how I like it, as odd as it may sound.

Where I like the alternative is with programs where I reach the edge of the touchpad. Probably the most frequent example of when I do this is with Garmin's Basecamp when trying to drag a route from one road to the next. I find that I sometimes have to do some two-handed acrobatics with the touchpad so that I don't lose contact with it while I reposition my finger to drag further. Yes, a mouse/trackball would also work, but I don't always have one with me.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Definitely update us with your user experience on these machine. I have to save a few more pennies before ordering mine, but I'd love some reports first.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Then again, I may end up coming to a similar conclusion as @maflynn and deciding I do miss the Apple ecosystem more than I thought I would. Who knows. :)
My money is on this :p

This has happened to me every time I have tried to escape Apple, whether it be phones or computers. To me, it is still surprising that neither Windows nor Linux are able to fill the gap.

- Everyone in Linux wants to work only on the cool stuff and hence they release their own distro.
- Since Windows 8, Microsoft is maintaining 2 Settings portals. They just don't seem to care enough OR stuff is f'ed up, that they are busy putting out fires everyday in the Windows code base.

Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.