Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
No, I think he is definitely touching it. It takes awhile for the hand/fingerprints to begin to appear. They don't happen instantly, they happen with extended use.

This reviewer also seems to be touching it but no printerprints appeared instantly.

Reactions: SDColorado

terranitup

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
Yes, at least it does not have the level of thermal issues that MBP2018 usrs complained when they first came out. Hope somebody could figure out a way to Hackintosh it.
i am contemplating getting 2018MBP but lenovo has an attractive package the thermal issues are whats scaring me and the jump to windows too can anybody help?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
i am contemplating getting 2018MBP but lenovo has an attractive package the thermal issues are whats scaring me and the jump to windows too can anybody help?

The thermal issues with which? The Mac or the Lenovo? I am assuming you mean the MPB?

In addition to thermal issues, there have been the BridgeOS kernel panic issues, some keyboard issues still being reported, speaker crackling issues and reports like the thread where a guy had to pay $650 for a battery replacement. Those kinds of things have me really worried about owning an MBP these days, which is a shame being a self professed Apple fan.

I picked up a Windows machine as a complimentary device last year, a 2017 Surface Pro. I thought the jump to Windows 10 after using nothing but Macs for the previous 12 years was going to be much harder than it was. I was surprised how easy it was to make the jump.

That said, if you decide to give Lenovo a try, they do offer a 30-day, no restocking fee return policy. Try one out for 30-days and if the machine or Windows 10 isn't for you, you can return it and buy a MBP or something else altogether different.

terranitup

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
ive heard that Lenovo has worse thermals than the Mac. I love MacOS but these problems dont help me.
if i decided to get the Mac i would get the 2.6 version however lenovos price point of 2K for the same specs as the mac doesnt make the decison any easier
[doublepost=1539060118][/doublepost]Lenovo doesnt get as much exposure as apple does here hard to find a video review on youtube other than the 3 guys on there... 14 hours is not possible lol

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
ive heard that Lenovo has worse thermals than the Mac. I love MacOS but these problems dont help me.
if i decided to get the Mac i would get the 2.6 version however lenovos price point of 2K for the same specs as the mac doesnt make the decison any easier

Hmm, I can't say that I have seen any reviews that would indicate it is worse than the MBP. They both suffer a bit from thermal issues, it is the nature of the thin/light laptops. But by all indications I have seen, the MBP pro has the more inadequate cooling solution and gets much hotter.

terranitup

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
you do have a good point, just nature of the beast i suppose with thin and lights. another concern is ive always bought a mac as its touted as lasting forever in most cases up to 5 years. ive never owned a lenovo what can you say to the claims of apple? will lenovo hold up just as long?? obviously it depends with usage and other variables

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
you do have a good point, just nature of the beast i suppose with thin and lights. another concern is ive always bought a mac as its touted as lasting forever in most cases up to 5 years. ive never owned a lenovo what can you say to the claims of apple? will lenovo hold up just as long?? obviously it depends with usage and other variables

The previous Lenovo's I had was back when IBM owned the brand, so I can't speak for the longevity of the current ones. They do have spill resistant keyboards and undergo MIL-SPEC testing. They aren't a "ruggedized" laptop like the Toughbook but seem pretty durable.

https://techcrunch.com/2009/02/24/74521/

https://laptopmedia.com/highlights/...-and-t-series-take-according-to-lenovo-a-lot/

Macs used to last forever. No doubt about that. I do have a 2012 MBP that died last year, so I suppose that did hit the 5-year mark. I don't have as much faith in the new ones. My wife has a 2016 MBP, I am going to be amazed if it lasts 5 years. Time will tell.

Lenovo does offer extended warranties up to 5 years, including accidental damage and I don't believe they are much more expensive than Apple Care+ is for 2 years.

terranitup

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
I dont have much faith in either computer company anymore but i figure if im going to get a computer in this price range i might as well get the one that i want and wont have to worry about all the time...
not fond of paying the apple tax but if i dont have to replace it every couple of (years hence windows) then im okay with it, second i have always loved how apple gives you the latest software i went from snow leopard to el Capitan microsoft will not do this from windows 8/10 you had to buy each one
def some pros and cons here

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I dont have much faith in either computer company anymore but i figure if im going to get a computer in this price range i might as well get the one that i want and wont have to worry about all the time...
not fond of paying the apple tax but if i dont have to replace it every couple of (years hence windows) then im okay with it, second i have always loved how apple gives you the latest software i went from snow leopard to el Capitan microsoft will not do this from windows 8/10 you had to buy each one
def some pros and cons here

Microsoft offered a free upgrade from Windows 7 and 8.1 to Windows 10, so your statement isn't accurate.

And they have stated that they that Windows 10 will be the last full release of Windows, with future features included in the Service Packs, so we shouldn't be buying another version of Windows ever again

terranitup

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
Microsoft offered a free upgrade from Windows 7 and 8.1 to Windows 10, so your statement isn't accurate.

And they have stated that they that Windows 10 will be the last full release of Windows, with future features included in the Service Packs, so we shouldn't be buying another version of Windows ever again
very well. thank you for the information...

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Got an email saying that they shipped my X1E on Sunday even they told me that the order was on hold due to the long holiday. Is it a good idea to order a X1C6 or X1 Yoga for concurrent comparison rather than trying the X1E first and if not suitable, return and order another one?

terranitup

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
i guess its a question of taste for you good sir. however there is a hot deal going on at lenovo THINKXSALE is the code gets you 20% off so you could cancel your order and re order using this code save a few bucks for yourself. me personally im excited about the X1E so i would hold out for it. however im also on the Fence about 2018MBP as well lol if you get yours this week update me please

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

We run our Thinkpads on ~10 year cycles. Never yet had one that didn't make it that long. They are very well designed and intended for a long service life.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
do you have an X1E if so, how is it holding up??

No X1E’s here yet although I suspect that will change in the future. We mostly have X1 Carbons here, I’m on a 5th gen and we have a bunch of 6th gens here that are all doing great. We have a few Dell XPS 15’s as Lenovo has not until now had a competitive offering in the 15” workstation space that was reasonably portable.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

Lenovo Thinkpads are famous for lasting really long. Even longer and better then older MBP. New MBP won't last long, that one is for sure.

Think of it this way:
If your key get stuck on Lenovo, you just replace it. If your SSD breaks, replace it. Same goes for RAM, even wi-fi chip. And they have military grade endurance.

If anything dies on your MBP, prepare to replace almost everything. If just one key gets stuck, entire top shell, trackpad, entire keyboard, touch bar and even battery needs to be replaced. Why? Apple loves gluing stuff.

On reddit you can find a bunch of Thinkpad users that own 7-8 year old laptops, replacing screens for better ones, and replacing almost everything to keep the thinkpad going longer. And doing it for cheap.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
No X1E’s here yet although I suspect that will change in the future. We mostly have X1 Carbons here, I’m on a 5th gen and we have a bunch of 6th gens here that are all doing great. We have a few Dell XPS 15’s as Lenovo has not until now had a competitive offering in the 15” workstation space that was reasonably portable.

What is the battery life of the X1C6 when doing productivity office work, browsing the net and watching some youtube videos?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If anything dies on your MBP, prepare to replace almost everything. If just one key gets stuck, entire top shell, trackpad, entire keyboard, touch bar and even battery needs to be replaced. Why? Apple loves gluing stuff.

There is a guy in the main section being quoted $650 to replace his battery. Why $650 just to replace a battery? Because on his MBP it isn't that simple. They say they need to replace the entire top shell. That is along the lines of going to the dealership and telling them that your car needs new spark plugs and the dealer telling you "I am sorry, the spark plugs are welded on this model, we will need to replace your entire engine."

Lenovo has a parts lookup for their models and you can find a shopping list of as-built parts and compatible parts. New battery for a Gen 6 Carbon is $100 and you can replace it yourself.

Reactions: Queen6

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
What is the battery life of the X1C6 when doing productivity office work, browsing the net and watching some youtube videos?

I don't have a 6th gen myself, but on my 5th gen it is 6-10 hours depending on use. I was pretty solidly at 6hours for most of the last year. Last week I performed a clean install and I'm back to 8-10 hours easily. I'd imagine the 6th gen is about the same.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I don't have a 6th gen myself, but on my 5th gen it is 6-10 hours depending on use. I was pretty solidly at 6hours for most of the last year. Last week I performed a clean install and I'm back to 8-10 hours easily. I'd imagine the 6th gen is about the same.

From what I read, it seems that previous generations have better battery life than the 6th gen. I want some confirmations.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
@hajime

I get 6-7h easily, but with brightness around 85%. QHd model with HDR, fully specced. I could get way more if I turn down the brightness, but don't really need more.

terranitup

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
There is a guy in the main section being quoted $650 to replace his battery. Why $650 just to replace a battery? Because on his MBP it isn't that simple. They say they need to replace the entire top shell. That is along the lines of going to the dealership and telling them that your car needs new spark plugs and the dealer telling you "I am sorry, the spark plugs are welded on this model, we will need to replace your entire engine."

Lenovo has a parts lookup for their models and you can find a shopping list of as-built parts and compatible parts. New battery for a Gen 6 Carbon is $100 and you can replace it yourself.

I agree fully this is the Apple tax that people refer to
They want control over their products and how they are repaired but I am for the free market and am pro people like Louis Rossman who can repair a lot of problems for 1/3 less than Apple can or even will want to do maybe someday this will change and Apple will have replacement parts available to the common man
The devils advocate tho is they want to make sure the products and the profits are in their favor look no further than the likes of Audi or any luxury car parts and labor are either rare or expensive
Lenovo products are attractive because of its lower price point but will leave some users wanting more like macOS and Xcode Development

terranitup

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018

i wouldnt go that far im not sticking up for Apple in this case but the new X1 carbon and Extreme according to Lenovo website majority components such as an LCD panel is a FRU only meaning they will not sell you the part and you must pay them to replace it for you..
say what you want but business are catching onto the apple model means more $ in their pocket.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
FRU means Field Replaceable Unit. In other words, they don't classify the part as something a regular user would replace. They will sell you an FRU, all day long, but classify it as technician install. No restrictions on the parts availability. Merely a way of designating what parts a customer should replace vs what parts should be technician installed. Applies to warranty repairs really. During the warranty you cannot get an FRU sent to you from Lenovo, you must contact tech support and have a tech install the service part, or send it in for depot service. But out of warranty, no problems buying any parts from Lenovo, FRU or not. And a crapload cheaper than Apple components.

And now Apple is moving to a repair model that won't allow any third party repairs or parts. So if a key goes bad on your late model unit, you cannot go to eBay for a take off part, you have to use Apple for the repair. That is unheard of. Total control of you system parts and services. They continue to squeeze the consumer in a most arrogant way.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And now Apple is moving to a repair model that won't allow any third party repairs or parts.
In some ways this shouldn't come as a shock, given how they've virtually sealed their products. They caught heat for touchid being disabled when someone other then themselves repaired the screen, the iMac is designed so its not easily disassembled, the MBP's keyboard is not repairable (not even by apple).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.