Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Dave Lee reviews the Thinkpad P1 which is the "pro" version of the X1E. Seems like it has better outer material that reduces fingerprints. No issues with thermal throttling.

This is where the confusion is. Isn't the case of the P1 the same as that of the X1E? Dave had his hand on it but no marks or whatever but X1E in videos in #98 have ugly marks all over the device. Perhaps Dave did not really touch the device? Based on previous experience with several Thinkpads, even putting a hand on the surface would lead to some marks.
[doublepost=1538520714][/doublepost]
Looks to me like the outer material is identical. David probably just hasn't excessively handled it like the other video :)

Like a magician. Appeared to be touching it but actually not?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
This is where the confusion is. Isn't the case of the P1 the same as that of the X1E? Dave had his hand on it but no marks or whatever but X1E in videos in #98 have ugly marks all over the device. Perhaps Dave did not really touch the device? Based on previous experience with several Thinkpads, even putting a hand on the surface would lead to some marks.
[doublepost=1538520714][/doublepost]

Like a magician. Appeared to be touching it but actually not?

No, I think he is definitely touching it. It takes awhile for the hand/fingerprints to begin to appear. They don't happen instantly, they happen with extended use.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I personally think the fingerprint issue is small fry compared to the issues the new MBPs have.
I am waiting for NotebookCheck to drop their review on the FHD panel after which I will make plans for my MBP 2015.

Lenovo is known to cheap out on the FHD panels.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I am trying to decide between P1 and X1 Extreme. I don't need ECC memory. I wonder if Xeon E-2716M vPro+Quadro P2000 has better battery life and thermal than i7-8750H/8850H + 1050Ti. Any idea?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I am trying to decide between P1 and X1 Extreme. I don't need ECC memory. I wonder if Xeon E-2716M vPro+Quadro P2000 has better battery life and thermal than i7-8750H/8850H + 1050Ti. Any idea?

I don't believe that there is any advantage whatsoever to the P1, if you don't specifically need what it has to offer. If you don't need the ECC memory then I think you would be disappointed with the price difference.

I personally think the fingerprint issue is small fry compared to the issues the new MBPs have.
I am waiting for NotebookCheck to drop their review on the FHD panel after which I will make plans for my MBP 2015.

Lenovo is known to cheap out on the FHD panels.

Yeah, it is a small thing and if it does bother you, someone will probably sell a cover/pad for the keyboard area before long. Otherwise it wipes off easy with a damp cloth. Thats a simple fix.

KP's, thermal issues, keyboard problems, speakers cracking on the MBP's, perhaps not so easy.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I really love D2D reviews. He and Lisa are best laptop reviewers out there. IMHO of course.

But this review is just rushed thru. For example, fn and ctrl keys can easily be swapped, buttons on top of the trackbar aren't for the trackbar, but for trackpoint, etc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks to me like the outer material is identical. David probably just hasn't excessively handled it like the other video :)
He did say that it doesn't show fingerprints readily, so I think he is mentioning it can get finger prints but not quickly.

For example, fn and ctrl keys can easily be swapped
I think he's reporting the obvious, whether you (or anyone) wants to swap the keys, that's up to them. I was complaining about the "/?" key on the Razer because it was in the wrong place. Yeah I could have swapped the key but that's not the point

I'm not trying to defend Dave, but point out his issues he's point out are obvious

The cost of the P1 is way out of line for what I'm willing to pay

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
He did say that it doesn't show fingerprints readily, so I think he is mentioning it can get finger prints but not quickly.

That sounds right. It is a painted matte surface and like any painted matte surface, oils and stuff will eventually build up and cause some shinny spots. It doesn't happen readily, but you do notice it most in the areas you are in frequent contact with. Most notably the palm rests. It does wipe off easily. Mostly even with a dry microfiber. When that doesn't work a slightly dampened one or using a tiny bit of dish soap when you dampen it.

Another product that works well with is a very light spray is Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer on a microfiber. I wouldn't recommend buying it just for that purpose, but I did happen to already have some on hand for the matte finish of a motorcycle. It is made for matte, satin and other non-gloss finishes.

Reactions: hajime

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not trying to defend Dave, but point out his issues he's point out are obvious

Yeah, but you get an app that changes that key in 1sec. No messing around, clean and simple.
He just glazed the device, it's quite obvious actually. Just look at his comment about the keys above the trackpad.

As far as price goes, P1 isn't for everyone. It uses ECC ram, Quadro GPU and Xeons. Of course it's gonna cost you. But P1 prices are way better then MBP. You get so much more for a lot less. And on top of all that, you can easily upgrade ssd and ram. You even get additional empty slots to do so :)

Reactions: macjunk(ie)

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Yeah, but you get an app that changes that key in 1sec. No messing around, clean and simple.
He just glazed the device, it's quite obvious actually. Just look at his comment about the keys above the trackpad.

As far as price goes, P1 isn't for everyone. It uses ECC ram, Quadro GPU and Xeons. Of course it's gonna cost you. But P1 prices are way better then MBP. You get so much more for a lot less. And on top of all that, you can easily upgrade ssd and ram. You even get additional empty slots to do so :)
True. My colleague received his P1 today and we opened it up to check the layout. What is truly awesome is that Lenovo has used a single 16GB stick instead of two 8GB sticks. This leaves a slot open for RAM upgrade!

I was euphoric on seeing this...not sure why :D. Probably because I have been with Apple for so long and I have never, ever been treated this generously. It kind of put me into a momentary daze...

On the topic of fingerprints, the P1 does catch some. Although, the material feels somewhat different from my T470 (which is a print magnet). Time will tell how the P1 holds up...but like I said, to me this issue is small fry.

The 4K screen is great but Windows battery estimate was hovering around 6 hours. Will have to see how it fares under Ubuntu.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If the P1 is anything like the X1E, and it should be, I think your friend will find that battery life estimate will increase with use and a battery recalibration. Of course part of that is dependent on how you configure your power scheme for battery as well and I have no clue how that works with Ubantu.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
The 4K screen is great but Windows battery estimate was hovering around 6 hours. Will have to see how it fares under Ubuntu.

Please report to us your findings. If possible, please run the laptop with the touch function and 1050 GPU turned off and see how long it lasts. Thanks.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
In practice, I should be about 20lbs lighter as well, but I am not and it does not. 9.5 hours from a 4K with an 80wh battery would be impressive, but I get about 8, much as I did with the 2018 MBP i9 I had with has an 83wh battery.

Somebody mentioned that his battery was like 70's wh but after he did some reset/calibration, it became something like 83wh. For the 8 hours of battery life, have you done such battery reset/calibration?

I think Notebookcheck only got 6.4 hours on their 4K model. It will not be good for me.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.335608.0.html
[doublepost=1538749727][/doublepost]I need to place an order very soon as my MBP 2010 17" can only function for about 30 minutes without an AC adapter. I also get pain and blood circulation cut carrying such 3kg laptop with other stuffs. I am drawn between X1C6, X1E and SB2.

X1C6: Very lightweight and good battery life. Not sure if the HDR WQHD screen estate and letter size are suitable for my needs. Screen resolutions and PPI like the rMBP 15" would be ideal. Ubuntu Linux seems to be working.

SB2: Good overall but I don't like to get refurbrished unit if mine needs repairing.

X1E: Got Nvidia GPU which I could use for light CUDA computations. If I buy X1C6, most likely I will need to invest also on a high end workstation. Things on FHD will look big and the screen estate is a bit small given that I have used rMBP 15" for many years. However, on the 4K model, battery life of 6.5 hours is unacceptable for my use. About 8 to 10 would be good. Wonder if future software/firmware updates would make this happen. Also, 1.83kg is a bit heavy compared with the other two laptops. Not 100% sure if the next Ubuntu Linux will fix some compatibility issues. If we could turn X1E into a Hackintosh, I might overlook the weight a bit.

What suggestion do you have? At this stage, should I just order all three at the same time and try out myself?

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Somebody mentioned that his battery was like 70's wh but after he did some reset/calibration, it became something like 83wh. For the 8 hours of battery life, have you done such battery reset/calibration?

I think Notebookcheck only got 6.4 hours on their 4K model. It will not be good for me.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.335608.0.html
[doublepost=1538749727][/doublepost]I need to place an order very soon. I am drawn between X1C6, X1E and SB2.

X1C6: Very lightweight and good battery life. Not sure if the HDR WQHD screen estate and letter size are suitable for my needs. Screen resolutions and PPI like the rMBP 15" would be ideal.

SB2: Good overall but I don't like to get refurbrished unit if mine needs repairing.

X1E: Got Nvidia GPU which I could use for light CUDA computations. If I buy X1C6, most likely I will need to invest also on a high end workstation. However, battery life of 6.5 hours is unacceptable for my use. About 8 to 10 would be good. Wonder if future software/firmware updates would make this happen. Also, 1.83kg is a bit heavy compared with the other two laptops.

What suggestion do you have? At this stage, should I just order all three and try out myself?

About 82wh after calibration.

I have read that notebook check review. Not a fan of synthetic benchmarks. I have been averaging about 7.5 with the power slider set to “better battery” and can stretch it out further with the slider set to “battery saver”

But if you are looking for a guaranteed 8+ hours battery life, you probably won’t find it here

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
About 82wh after calibration.

I have read that notebook check review. Not a fan of synthetic benchmarks. I have been averaging about 7.5 with the power slider set to “better battery” and can stretch it out further with the slider set to “battery saver”

But if you are looking for a guaranteed 8+ hours battery life, you probably won’t find it here

How do you like your X1E so far? Is the glossy 4K screen sufficiently good for computer programming? Any regrets moving from MBP/MacOS to X1E/Windows?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
How do you like your X1E so far? Is the glossy 4K screen sufficiently good for computer programming? Any regrets moving from MBP/MacOS to X1E/Windows?

The hardest thing is after having nothing but Macs since the XP days, getting used to Windows and not having everything so integrated. I have an Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad Pro, iMac, etc.

The machine is really nice. There is a lot to like about it and a few niggles I don’t.

The display is very nice. Less glossy than the MBP and less annoying when you have a window behind you than the MBP is.

The fast charge is very nice.

The port selection is also very nice.

Keyboard feels like plush and luxurious compared to the MBP’s hard clicky feel.

Trackpad is good, but not excellent like the MBP.

Speakers are a weakness, though better sound through headphones with the Dolby Atmos

FaceID works well and fingerprint sensor WILL actually log you in without having to type in your password if you restart.

An actual physical power button that has a sleep led in the middle so you can see it is sleeping and not off. Also one on the lid. The red dot over the i pulses slowly on and off when it’s sleeping.

It doesn’t get as hot as the MBP, but is more prone to showing fingerprints over time.

I prefer actual function keys to the touch bar and I also like Lenovo’s print-screen/screen capture button since I do a lot of snip and markup kinda stuff. I also like the easy Fn+ Spacebar control over keyboard lighting.

Much more gimmicky but kind of neat is the Cortana ask Lenovo to Brighten my Keyboard or Ask Lenovo to go to sleep type voice commands.

I have a 2018 15” MBP and the Lenovo side by side and plan to spend the weekend comparing and contrasting them, since my 30 day is up October 11.

I don’t do programming so I can’t speak to that, but it seems they run the gamut as far as display ratios. I had heard some who prefer the wider format of the 16:9, others who prefer Apples middle of the road approach of 16:10 and still others who prefer Microsoft’s 3:2.

I guess that’s all down to personal preferences and how you work?

I personally like the 3:2 for photo work, since it’s the same aspect ratio. So maybe at the end of the day I will end up with a Surface Book 2?

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
The hardest thing is after having nothing but Macs since the XP days, getting used to Windows and not having everything so integrated. I have an Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad Pro, iMac, etc.

The machine is really nice. There is a lot to like about it and a few niggles I don’t.

The display is very nice. Less glossy than the MBP and less annoying when you have a window behind you than the MBP is.

The fast charge is very nice.

The port selection is also very nice.

Keyboard feels like plush and luxurious compared to the MBP’s hard clicky feel.

Trackpad is good, but not excellent like the MBP.

Speakers are a weakness, though better sound through headphones with the Dolby Atmos

FaceID works well and fingerprint sensor WILL actually log you in without having to type in your password if you restart.

An actual physical power button that has a sleep led in the middle so you can see it is sleeping and not off. Also one on the lid. The red dot over the i pulses slowly on and off when it’s sleeping.

It doesn’t get as hot as the MBP, but is more prone to showing fingerprints over time.

I prefer actual function keys to the touch bar and I also like Lenovo’s print-screen/screen capture button since I do a lot of snip and markup kinda stuff. I also like the easy Fn+ Spacebar control over keyboard lighting.

Much more gimmicky but kind of neat is the Cortana ask Lenovo to Brighten my Keyboard or Ask Lenovo to go to sleep type voice commands.

I have a 2018 15” MBP and the Lenovo side by side and plan to spend the weekend comparing and contrasting them, since my 30 day is up October 11.

I don’t do programming so I can’t speak to that, but it seems they run the gamut as far as display ratios. I had heard some who prefer the wider format of the 16:9, others who prefer Apples middle of the road approach of 16:10 and still others who prefer Microsoft’s 3:2.

I guess that’s all down to personal preferences and how you work?

I personally like the 3:2 for photo work, since it’s the same aspect ratio. So maybe at the end of the day I will end up with a Surface Book 2?

Thanks for sharing. Do you think turning Cortana and bluetooth off would get you perhaps 30 more minutes of battery life on the X1E 4K?

Double checked with Costco. They also mentioned that if the SB2 needs repairing, it would be a refurbrished unit.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks for sharing. Do you think turning Cortana and bluetooth off would get you perhaps 30 more minutes of battery life on the X1E 4K?

Double checked with Costco. They also mentioned that if the SB2 needs repairing, it would be a refurbrished unit.

That. Things like putting it in Airplane Mode when you don’t need internet or Bluetooth or just turning off Bluetooth if you need WiFi. Also actively using the Battery Saver settings, by moving the slider.

By default, Windows will not go into battery saver mode until the charge is below 20%. Much like the iPhone. But you can move the slider and manually enter battery saver. Among other things it won’t try to sync emails and calendars on a regular basis.

I do also wonder if down the road they will offer a higher capacity battery replacement as well, since it is user replaceable.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I do also wonder if down the road they will offer a higher capacity battery replacement as well, since it is user replaceable.

Any 3rd party manufacturer making batteries compatiable with the Thinkpads made in recent years?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Any 3rd party manufacturer making batteries compatiable with the Thinkpads made in recent years?

That's a good question about recent years or how much higher capacity they are and I don't know the answer. This is the first ThinkPad I have purchased since it was an IBM product. I have seen batteries plus advertise high capacity batteries for older non-supported models and Amazon advertises for more current ones. But I don't know if they are actually any higher capacity of just a parts house advertising direct replacements.

Alienware I think it is? Offers a choice of two different battery capacities. I am guessing the reason that not everyone chooses the larger is a combination of cost and weight. Why spend the extra on it if you don't leave it unplugged for 8+ hours and don't need the additional weight.

As far as I know, none of the Lenovo laptops offer that option though.

Edit: It could also be a space restriction. The Alienware laptops have a much larger chassis to fit a larger battery in.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Edit: It could also be a space restriction. The Alienware laptops have a much larger chassis to fit a larger battery in.
I think its a dell thing (dell owns Alienware for those who may not know), and Dell offers different sized batteries but I think that's unique in the industry

Reactions: SDColorado

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Lisa also got only 6.5-7 hours on the 4K model :-(
SDColorado: How do you get 8 hours?

The 4K screen does look beautiful. I have a 4K TV at home waiting for the new laptop to connect to.

Perhaps just order the X1E 4K and X1 Yoga 3rd gen and try out both to decide?

It seems that she made the video awhile ago but didn't release it until today because 32GB RAM module has been available from Lenovo few days ago.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Lenovo has often offered different capacity batteries as well when you customize but I haven’t seen that on a recent X series.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.