Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Seen it? Of course, it‘s a camera, just as I’ve seen it on every iPhone (and Android, Symbian, Palm OS and feature phone) I’ve ever owned, all the way back t the beginning of camera phones. Just as I see it on my Panasonic Mirrorless camera and my DSLR before it and on.... well, you get the point.

Lens flare isn’t new, it isn’t exclusive to iPhones, or for that matter, phones in general. It’s just something that happens under certain lighting conditions, heck, certain photographers and filmmakers like to deliberately (over) use the lens flare effect in their productions.

It can be avoided completely by choosing the best angle of your shot, the best position, using lens filters and if none of that is possible, the best time of day.

Reactions: Superrenz

jsthomas8

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
My iPhones are certainly similar (6S, 7+ and X). A couple of friends have various 11’s and there is really not hugely noticeable difference between them. I don’t see “worse”.
:)

You want “bad” try the led (aka “flash” haha) on the X. The placement of the led makes it very prone to “red eye” and other retina reflections when used.

yeah, well that’s not my experience. I had the iPhoneX Max as well and the lens flare is much worse. So large a distortion on the image that it makes the image unusable. All I’ve ever owned are iPhones. It’s never been this bad. And for a phone that’s touting its camera as the best and whole reason for the rollout of the 11, I find it curious why the lens flare is worse. Now I have heard that it may be a batch problem in the manufacturing which would explain why some people aren’t experiencing the problem to the same magnitude. But I will say that I’m not imagining it. I know what lens flare is. I am a photographer. I use a REAL camera as well. But this is not acceptable...
F96200BF-73BF-4E6A-91F9-3002C7E38EDD.jpeg

[automerge]1572876498[/automerge]
Seen it? Of course, it‘s a camera, just as I’ve seen it on every iPhone (and Android, Symbian, Palm OS and feature phone) I’ve ever owned, all the way back t the beginning of camera phones. Just as I see it on my Panasonic Mirrorless camera and my DSLR before it and on.... well, you get the point.

Lens flare isn’t new, it isn’t exclusive to iPhones, or for that matter, phones in general. It’s just something that happens under certain lighting conditions, heck, certain photographers and filmmakers like to deliberately (over) use the lens flare effect in their productions.

It can be avoided completely by choosing the best angle of your shot, the best position, using lens filters and if none of that is possible, the best time of day.

Dude, seriously? On some of the iPhone 11 Pro Max it is so bad it makes the image unusable. I know about flare. I know about iPhones. I know about photography. This is the worst I’ve seen it on any of the previous iPhones. I’ve taken pictures side by side using 2 different iPhones, different generations. It’s a problem with the 11’s. That doesn’t mean it didn’t exist on different generations. Of course it did. But it’s much worse now.
C6F6DC7B-FD6E-44BA-93EB-4161826DCA32.jpeg

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
After multiple people already told you, it seems that you don't understand or you can't understand.
If it's the latter part, you should do your own research. Or are you one of those people that reads something online and immediately thinks the same? It's best to form your own opinion and think with your head, not go with the trends.

Start your own research by learning photography and how optics work in photography. To sum it up quickly for you, all lenses have lens flare, even smartphone lenses. It isn't something exclusive to an iphone, or a samsung, or a whatever.

So there is no gate, there's just people that don't know photography and optics.

I can smell the manure from here.
[automerge]1572944056[/automerge]
Are you new to photography?

Are you?
[automerge]1572944199[/automerge]
Someone needs to learn about optics and nature of light.

Yea and Apple needs to hire that person. Amazing how many so-called pro photographers there are these days don’t know a thing about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsthomas8

jnog88

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
Massachusetts
I'm having TONS of lens flare on my iPhone 11, especially at night. My Xs did not have the same lens flare. It was present but not to this degree. I have added a few images below and circled all of the flares. This just doesn't seem normal. Maybe it was this bad before on my Xs and I'm just noticing it more now? Maybe I should take it in to Apple? I clean the lenses with a microfiber cloth before trying to capture nicer shots so I'm not sure what's up here...
InkedIMG_1205_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_1206_LI.jpg

[automerge]1573155578[/automerge]
I don’t know but the flare i’m getting is not ‘natural’ and kind of irritating. I just recently purchased an iPhone 11 and based on the flare, yea, I actually own the green one. I don’t know if there is a fix with this.

These are the same flares I'm experiencing. Usually green in color. It seems to have to do with light sources lower in the shot which did not happen with my Xs.

Reactions: redbeard331

kshitijshah

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
The ghosting is quite bad and prominent on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. See some samples attached. Seems to be more prominent in the night and especially when there is an ambient light source in the picture. Apple should provide a SPOT retouching tool to get rid of these

Attachments

• B3EA35D5-136C-42EB-B304-84C10E8AA10A.jpeg
    B3EA35D5-136C-42EB-B304-84C10E8AA10A.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 4199D6AC-6E89-40DA-878F-6FE2DECC51D9.jpeg
    4199D6AC-6E89-40DA-878F-6FE2DECC51D9.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 161
  • BD6FD10D-6282-40AE-BFBF-B07912B88711.jpeg
    BD6FD10D-6282-40AE-BFBF-B07912B88711.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 115

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Here’s a link to a youtube I posted almost two years ago when people were complaining about the iPhone X having such bad lens flare. This isn’t specific about lens flare, it’s a comparison of the video from the iPhone X vs the Note 8 by one of the youtuber reviewers. You’ll see clearly that lens flare From both phones and, if anything, it’s “worse” on the Note 8.

I had posted videos of flare examples from the Samsung S7 Edge, iPhone 6S, iPhone X, Huawei mate 9, huawei p10 and lg v20. They all do it, as do all cameras.

fishernomad

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
660F52EE-E62E-4DD3-B4C1-C3283593EE38.jpeg
660F52EE-E62E-4DD3-B4C1-C3283593EE38.jpeg

Same situation, iPhone 4s had little to no effect partly because the exposure and iso is lower and cannot be adjusted. iPhone 6s running iOS 13 can adjust exposure, so when I max out the exposure it has similar but much weaker ghosting effect. On iPhone 8 it gets worst but not as bad and obvious as an iPhone 11 Pro. For the sake of looking for the reason, I use the canon d100 dslr to do the same test in the same environment, blasting the iso to 6400, setting the shutter speed low, and what I found is that when I have the UV filter on, it has the similar ghosting effect, and when I removed the UV filter, it didn’t.

my guess is that the cover lenses of the iPhone 11 series are suffering more from trying to make the camera more powerful but yet as compact as possible, but that doesn’t mean it’s okay when in daylight when taking vlog the lens flares (even when its point away from the sun) is constantly Bugging the footage, and no matter how you change the angle, different level of lens flare just keep hitting the footage.

it make me like the iPhone precious generations very much, it worked magic.It’s heart breaking to see that later generation of iPhones can’t perform a simple task well

to twist the knife in the wound, people are saying lens flares are normal and it ought to get more and more serious. No doubt in certain angle you can take amazing pictures, but when you control elements of a shoot that tight, it’s not consumer grade photography. When you control light, environment color all that well, you can take a great pic with the outdated tech iPhone 4s.

to be fare tho, the ghosting might have something to do with the advanced night mode, Apple should consider utilizing the A13 bionic chip to learn that and remove the . No one other camera is this obvious.
[automerge]1575758691[/automerge]
Remember why people love the camera of an iPhone? Because it was easy to use and at the same time takes fantastic pictures. Now the lens is no magic anymore, and sometimes you can’t avoid some obvious problems. Filters doesn’t work because comes from behind the cover lenses. Ever since they change the design from iPhone 7, the cover lenses diameters are larger and then problem seemed to get worse. And now in strong sunlight, no matter what direction are you pointing, you will have a mist of flare in your footage or image, it’s no longer crisp and that wouldn’t happen with an iPhone 4s.

Last edited:

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
These artifacts are horrendous. Yes lens flare is a thing but these kind of flares are not a thing. Ppl who know a little bit about photography knows that. But then again we all know about iPhone fanboys. Apple shoud not even claim that their cameras are on par with DSLR/mirrorless if they can't even contain/fix lense flares. On extreme cases, lense flares will happen but shouldn't if there is not much light sources.
You literally creat3d this account 10 minutes ago. You wasted no time antagonizing iPhone owners. Congrats ? how else do you like spending your Sunday evenings?

burnowt

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
Alas, here it is in 2023 and it only occurs to me now, after getting my iPhone 14 Pro, to look up if other people had this problem. I noticed it immediately when I picked up an iPhone 11 Pro back in late 2019 and the fricking genius guy said it wasn't an issue they'd resolve. Seriously, eff all these comments saying this is common in 'premium' cameras. You clearly don't share the definition of 'premium' that most people have.

FWIW, it does seem better in the iPhone 14 Pro, but wow was the 11 Pro nearly unusable at night because of this. I wish people could've scraped together a class action of some kind, maybe get some major discount when upgrading.

Reactions: phillytim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.