Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Release date of iOS 9.3 ?

• Final Release Next Week

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • GM or Beta 6 Release Next Week

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Final Release Just After March Event

Votes: 54 68.4%
  • GM Release Just After March Event

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Final Release Next Week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GM or Beta 7 Release Next Week

• Final Release Just After March Event

• No New Beta Or A Final Release Until Event

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Except if the event is on the 21st as rumoured. That's a Monday. Official releases always happen on Tuesday's. Apple has all sorts of Apple vs FBI on the 22nd, so doesn't seem like they'll release anything then.

Putting the most likely scenario of releasing on the 15th. At least to me at least.

I think the question becomes, are they going to squeeze a 6th beta in this next week or are they going to just update the build number from beta 5 (which is typically what they do) and release that for the official release.

How much notice do they normally give press before a keynote? I'm curious when it's going to be, a lot of hype around this event.

And a lot of betas for 9.3!

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
hope they send out invites today otherwise i feel the event is not on the 23rd. didnt they send out invites 2 weeks in advance the last event?

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
hope they send out invites today otherwise i feel the event is not on the 23rd. didnt they send out invites 2 weeks in advance the last event?

it won't be on 15th march..now it's clear, the invites must be sent already last week, now there is only one possibility will it be on 21st or a later date, the invites must be send until tuesday - wednesday next week. or earlier

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Not exactly "ready when it's ready" at all. Apple has timelines to release things by. It's more like it will release right before the iPhone SE and 9.7" iPad Pro are released because new hardware always comes with an iOS update to support them.

and i assume, you know these "timelines" today, for a fact?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
and i assume, you know these "timelines" today, for a fact?

It's been fairly well known for a long time that the event was going to be March 21st (was originally said to be the 15th but got moved back a week for whatever reason.) and it was also fairly well know the new phone and iPad releases were to follow the event by just a few days (the 18th when the event was originally said to be the 15th) now likely to be the 25th on the devices with the event on the 21st.

The event and device releases being their timeline to get it done by.

It's also fairly well known that software releases are tied to hardware releases. Meaning they have specific dates on hardware and the accompanying software to support it has to be ready by then.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
It's been fairly well known for a long time that the event was going to be March 21st (was originally said to be the 15th but got moved back a week for whatever reason.) and it was also fairly well know the new phone and iPad releases were to follow the event by just a few days (the 18th when the event was originally said to be the 15th) now likely to be the 25th on the devices with the event on the 21st.

The event and device releases being their timeline to get it done by.

It's also fairly well known that software releases are tied to hardware releases. Meaning they have specific dates on hardware and the accompanying software to support it has to be ready by then.
That my friends, is the definition of "speculation".

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That my friends, is the definition of "speculation".

More like educated guess based off when the event was said to happen (which is now fact) and based off the devices likely to be released very shortly after.

Also the fact that Eddie Cue said in an interview in February that OS X 10.11.4 was "releasing next month". Which would be March, the month they are holding an event. The event they are announcing a new phone and an update to the 9.7" iPad.

OS X and iOS updates typically release together. Especially when same new features are apart of both (in this case update to iBooks on both for iCloud and also update to Notes for password locking notes.)

ithinkwithportals

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Somewhere in the USA
Let's discuss the upcoming Golden Master build of iOS 9.3 . When do you think it will drop (before, during, or after the March Event), and what remaining bugs, if any, do you think it will fix? Also, for those of you whom are testing 9.3 on a separate device, do you think you're going to put it on your primary device right away, or wait to update it? Finally, what have you thought about 9.3 while you've been testing it?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
There are plenty of threads on the virtues and foibles of the 9.3 betas - both public and dev. Do we really need another thread?

Also, one of my pet peeves has to do with everyone throwing around the "Gold Master" term. The origin of that term has to do with the release that's sent to the manufacturing partner to be installed on the new model. There might be some wiggle room this time with the rumored iPhone SE, but Apple does not create a "GM" release for each iteration. They are typically reserved for the final .0 version to be installed on the next generation iPhone. Other than the .0 release, I don't recall Apple even having a "GM" version... it's just released to the masses.

Reactions: kch50428

ithinkwithportals

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Somewhere in the USA
There are plenty of threads on the virtues and foibles of the 9.3 betas - both public and dev. Do we really need another thread?

Also, one of my pet peeves has to do with everyone throwing around the "Gold Master" term. The origin of that term has to do with the release that's sent to the manufacturing partner to be installed on the new model. There might be some wiggle room this time with the rumored iPhone SE, but Apple does not create a "GM" release for each iteration. They are typically reserved for the final .0 version to be installed on the next generation iPhone. Other than the .0 release, I don't recall Apple even having a "GM" version... it's just released to the masses.

I used the "GM" term because that's what a lot of people are using, whether for better or for worse. Also, the main reason I create these "Waiting" threads is to reduce fragmentation on the subject as much as possible. One thread, which can serve the purpose of per-build discussion and anticipation, is in my opinion much better than 5 or 6 threads on the same subject. If this thread could collect together all discussion on the final 9.3 build and reduce fragmentation on this subject, I would be quite happy. But I understand it might not be possible for this to occur. Still, wishing everyone all the best and a good discussion!

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
proxy.php

that sounds like a ''GM'' seed is on the way

ithinkwithportals

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Somewhere in the USA
Who thinks we might see the final 9.3 seed drop this Monday, March 14th? Seeing as it's exactly one week before the event, I'm kind of hopeful that it's possible (both so that a JB comes soon and that it could be available for the 5se very soon (i.e. 1 or 2 days) after its launch).

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Who thinks we might see the final 9.3 seed drop this Monday, March 14th? Seeing as it's exactly one week before the event, I'm kind of hopeful that it's possible (both so that a JB comes soon and that it could be available for the 5se very soon (i.e. 1 or 2 days) after its launch).
I think there wont be a GM build. Just the final release next week. Probably monday.

Reactions: Max(IT)
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.