Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Release date of iOS 9.3 ?

• Final Release Next Week

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • GM or Beta 6 Release Next Week

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Final Release Just After March Event

Votes: 54 68.4%
  • GM Release Just After March Event

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Final Release Next Week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GM or Beta 7 Release Next Week

• Final Release Just After March Event

• No New Beta Or A Final Release Until Event

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There's never a GM for a .x update. Public release will be the day of the event, like always.

Boom. Lock thread.
Except there have been some before as I recall, like for iOS 4.2 (two of them even) or 4.3, for example.

Last edited:

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
There's never a GM for a .x update. Public release will be the day of the event, like always.

Boom. Lock thread.

Do they always release .1 updates at events? Seem pretty minor for talking about at an event since it doesn't really bring much to the table.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Apple pretty much always does official releases on a Tuesday. So I doubt next Monday. 9.3 beta 6 is now the highest build count for any non .0 release they've ever done. We won't get another build between now and it's official release.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do they always release .1 updates at events? Seem pretty minor for talking about at an event since it doesn't really bring much to the table.
Seems like this one actually brings various new features as opposed to various other ones.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Seems like this one actually brings various new features as opposed to various other ones.

Yeah the only thing I'm seeing is night shift but like someone else said Apple could spend an hour talking about it. Just doesn't feel like a build they would save for a show.
[doublepost=1457738372][/doublepost]
Apple pretty much always does official releases on a Tuesday. So I doubt next Monday. 9.3 beta 6 is now the highest build count for any non .0 release they've ever done. We won't get another build between now and it's official release.

Beta 6 feels like the final build to me only because the battery life is back on par. I always thought betas ran a debugger this just feels like the debugger is off. Maybe they don't I could be wrong.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah the only thing I'm seeing is night shift but like someone else said Apple could spend an hour talking about it. Just doesn't feel like a build they would save for a show.
[doublepost=1457738372][/doublepost]

Beta 6 feels like the final build to me only because the battery life is back on par. I always thought betas ran a debugger this just feels like the debugger is off. Maybe they don't I could be wrong.
Well, they do have a whole preview page for it at http://www.apple.com/ios/preview/ unlike most other .x updates. It doesn't mean they will make a big deal about it at the event or anything like that, but could just time the release to be associated with the event (perhaps with some mention of it there).

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

The event isn't about 9.3. 9.3 exists to add in features and bring support for the new iPhone and 9.7" iPad.

Also there are more things than just Night Shift.

- Password lock in Notes
- iCloud for iBooks
- New education app for schools on iPad and adding multi users to that
- More 3D Touch quick menus
- Various other small tweaks
- Performance increase
- Security updates
- Bug fixes (like Jan 1, 1970 and error 53 amongst others)

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
The event isn't about 9.3. 9.3 exists to add in features and bring support for the new iPhone and 9.7" iPad.

Also there are more things than just Night Shift.

- Password lock in Notes
- iCloud for iBooks
- New education app for schools on iPad and adding multi users to that
- More 3D Touch quick menus
- Various other small tweaks
- Performance increase
- Security updates
- Bug fixes (like Jan 1, 1970 and error 53 amongst others)

Well guess I'll have to wait for the show because what you just described to me isn't much of a feature list. Just saying, its not a lot of new stuff. I mean bug fixes is a feature now? I consider things like Night Shift features.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well guess I'll have to wait for the show because what you just described to me isn't much of a feature list. Just saying, its not a lot of new stuff. I mean bug fixes is a feature now? I consider things like Night Shift features.
It's a good amount for a .x update certainly.

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
I've had on jarring issue with the 9.3 betas, they drop my LTE connection in my phone after a minute or so. I first saw it in the first beta, then saw it again and the latest beta. I've taken it to my service provider and they've had no luck, they've suggested Apple needs to repair the hardware. But when I revert to 9.2 all is well. I really hope this doesn't happen with the non-beta

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I think you missed the part where the event isn't about iOS 9.3.

The event is for the new phone and new iPad and new watch bands.

They will only briefly talk about iOS, because it does have some new features.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I think you missed the part where the event isn't about iOS 9.3.

The event is for the new phone and new iPad and new watch bands.

They will only briefly talk about iOS, because it does have some new features.

Yeah your right they will probably talk about adoption rate and all that too.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I've had on jarring issue with the 9.3 betas, they drop my LTE connection in my phone after a minute or so. I first saw it in the first beta, then saw it again and the latest beta. I've taken it to my service provider and they've had no luck, they've suggested Apple needs to repair the hardware. But when I revert to 9.2 all is well. I really hope this doesn't happen with the non-beta
I haven't seen this issue, but I'll keep my eyes open.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
"There's never a GM for a .x update" - never say never. After all, you don't make Apple policy do you. again this thread is purely speculative non-sense.

Reactions: ABC5S
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.