Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Just did a test and it works fine here in Safari with my 13" TB model and the LG 5K.
I have the both the 5K and 4k 27UD88 connected. Netflix runs fine if I just have the 5K connected, but get the HDCP message if I have both connected. anyone with dual monitors have this issue?

Rich C

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2017
I mentioned this in a previous post - one of the two LG 5k's I ordered arrived with a faulty Thunderbolt 3 cable - the MBP screen kept blinking in and out as if changing resolution and video on the LG 5k attached to the other end of the cable wouldn't work at all, even though the MBP was being charged by the TB3 cable. I thought it'd just be a case of swapping out the cable; I was wrong!

LG (UK) support didn't even have the 5k on their system and were unable to help! I thought i'd be able to order a replacement cable from my local Apple Store, but as the LG 5k isn't an Apple product, I was told they don't keep inventory of parts and that the only option was to return the whole screen for a refund/replacement. I then called Apple support who were great and escalated the case. As a consequence they're sending out a replacement display before I send back the faulty cable (and display).

Incidentally, my local Apple Store let me have (foc) a Belkin 2m TB3 cable to try out. This actually seems to work fine in every respect, but as the Belkin cable is only rated for supplying 60w of charge (vs the MBP-friendly 85w over the LG 5k cable) - I chose to go ahead with the replacement. This seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but I presume replacement parts will become more readily available when supply is less constrained?

The Belkin cable looks identical to the LG one, but I do feel that the Belkin cable seems more robust than the LG one!? I read another post in these forums where someone has a LG 5k cable which works but is a bit flaky? I hope this post helps them and anyone else with the same problem.

I"m having the exact same issue -- monitor basically works for 5 mnutes and either goes dark or recycles. Called LG and they are sending a new cable for free, but 10-day delivery window. Should i take it to Apple? how was your issue resolved? Thank you.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I believe this is already a known issue, but when use the volume up and down button on an external keyboard, the sound goes from low to super loud of just one click and then levels out even when you make it louder. Like going from 10% to 60% by increasing one bar only. I think this is a software issue rather than a hardware but very annoying nonetheless.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I believe this is already a known issue, but when use the volume up and down button on an external keyboard, the sound goes from low to super loud of just one click and then levels out even when you make it louder. Like going from 10% to 60% by increasing one bar only. I think this is a software issue rather than a hardware but very annoying nonetheless.
Yeah... they are big increments up/down. You can hold down shift+option to get smaller increments.

pbecci

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
The hubs on the back keep failing. I have a Belkin USB C Network Adapter that intermittently disconnect when on video calls. Happens in both Skype and Google Hangouts. Also, when this happens it disconnects the Hard Drive plugged into the monitor and the built-in video camera and sound stop working. I have to unplug it from my Macbook Pro and unplug the power from the monitor to get it working again. The video on the screen is working the entire time. No issues there.

Reactions: mwalter

justinlovingyoutube

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2016
I"m having the exact same issue -- monitor basically works for 5 mnutes and either goes dark or recycles. Called LG and they are sending a new cable for free, but 10-day delivery window. Should i take it to Apple? how was your issue resolved? Thank you.
I have the same issue. I tried a second thunderbolt 3 cable and it did not fix the issue. The cable was not rated for 85W charging so that is one variance, but I don't think that would matter. I'm taking mine back to apple this week.

pbecci

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
I have the same issue. I tried a second thunderbolt 3 cable and it did not fix the issue. The cable was not rated for 85W charging so that is one variance, but I don't think that would matter. I'm taking mine back to apple this week.
Let me know if you would. I'll probably do the same thing..

Last edited:

inmotionnow

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Toronto
Has anyone had their mouse cursor get 'stuck' on the display? I've had this happen twice when I moved my mouse quickly and the 'large mouse' animation appeared on screen (but this doesn't happen every time). Essentially, image of the large mouse will stay on screen and above all window but my actual cursor would still work and appear on screen in the normal small size. Weirdly, I tried to take a screen grab but the image doesn't actually show the issue. I'll try taking a picture with my iPhone next time.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
image retention, returned mine after I noticed image retention develop after keeping an image on the screen for 10 to 20 minutes

kevlee

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2016

Similar issue here. Once I plug the thunderbolt 3 cable into my macbook pro, the display constantly flickers. I can't get it to work for over 30 seconds. I have the 15 inch macbook pro. I tried plugging the display into my brothers 13 inch macbook pro and it worked perfectly fine. I thought it was an issue with the cable until I tried that. Now I'm guessing it's an issue with my macbook...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Has anyone had their mouse cursor get 'stuck' on the display? I've had this happen twice when I moved my mouse quickly and the 'large mouse' animation appeared on screen (but this doesn't happen every time). Essentially, image of the large mouse will stay on screen and above all window but my actual cursor would still work and appear on screen in the normal small size. Weirdly, I tried to take a screen grab but the image doesn't actually show the issue. I'll try taking a picture with my iPhone next time.
I had that happen a couple times when I first got it. I mentioned earlier, I thought maybe I had a bad cable, because even a slight nudge at the monitor end would lose the connection. I unplugged and plugged in the cable three or four times and all my connection issues, included the mouse cursor issue you mentioned went away. Maybe there was dirt or grease or something in the socket... but it fixed my issues.

inmotionnow

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Toronto
I had that happen a couple times when I first got it. I mentioned earlier, I thought maybe I had a bad cable, because even a slight nudge at the monitor end would lose the connection. I unplugged and plugged in the cable three or four times and all my connection issues, included the mouse cursor issue you mentioned went away. Maybe there was dirt or grease or something in the socket... but it fixed my issues.

Interesting. On my end, I can confirm that the cable was firmly plugged in (in fact, I had read your posts previously before receiving my screen and the moment I was setting up last night, I reminded myself "make sure this is plugged all the way in!" :)).

Wiggling the cable doesn't cause the connection to drop. When the mouse thing happened, everything would still work perfectly fine (i.e. moving other windows, play videos etc.), I would just have the big black cursor stuck on my screen (sitting above all windows). I tried logging out but that didn't solve the issue so ended up doing a full reboot which solved it. When it happened the second time, I just unplugged the screen, cursor was not appearing on my MBP and replugging the screen in right after had everything working again.

Reactions: Weaselboy

maxb

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Just received my display today, yeah

one bug I have, the usb hub can't keep up with usb 3 speed, I connected a usb-c 3 to giga ethernet adapter to hit and I don't get more then 440mbps, I get full speed directly connected to the Macbook Pro... I'm I alone?

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California

one bug I have, the usb hub can't keep up with usb 3 speed, I connected a usb-c 3 to giga ethernet adapter to hit and I don't get more then 440mbps, I get full speed directly connected to the Macbook Pro... I'm I alone?

The hub is slow. USB 3.1 Gen 1 drives are slower (about 10%) than on the MacBook Pro as well. I would use it only for slower USB devices like keyboards and mice. I suppose USB speakers would be fine too.

inmotionnow

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Toronto

Are you using a 13" or 15" MBP? If you are using a 13", have you tried connecting to the left TB ports (right hand TB ports have lower bandwidth). Specs for the 5K has the USB-C port running at 5Gbps should this should be working.

EDIT: To add to @sidewinder 's comment above... Even losing 10% (which IMHO is reasonable for any hubs vs. direct connection), this shouldn't translate to 440mbps on a gigabit ethernet port.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Are you using a 13" or 15" MBP? If you are using a 13", have you tried connecting to the left TB ports (right hand TB ports have lower bandwidth). Specs for the 5K has the USB-C port running at 5Gbps should this should be working.

EDIT: To add to @sidewinder 's comment above... Even losing 10% (which IMHO is reasonable for any hubs vs. direct connection), this shouldn't translate to 440mbps on a gigabit ethernet port.

I wouldn't expect a proper hub to lose 10% until the bandwidth was near to being fully utilized.

Also, people with faster drives saw more siginificant speed loss than I did on the LG 5K display hub. So I stick to my recommendation. At least until I see how the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock performs with it's USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports.

inmotionnow

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Toronto
I wouldn't expect a proper hub to lose 10% until the bandwidth was near to being fully utilized.

Also, people with faster drives saw more siginificant speed loss than I did on the LG 5K display hub. So I stick to my recommendation. At least until I see how the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock performs with it's USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports.

Ah. I was always under the assumption that you would lose speed with any hub just due to the overhead (and just like how you can never hit full bandwidth of any protocol in real-world application). I'll do some testing with external drives as well tonight and report back in the Hub speed tests thread.

maxb

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Loosing 10% from a super speed external SSD is something, but getting USB 2 speed is another story... In theory, some people measured 240mb/s speed with the screen (about 2Gbps) so I shouldn't have any problem reaching 920mbps

inmotionnow

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Toronto
Loosing 10% from a super speed external SSD is something, but getting USB 2 speed is another story... In theory, some people measured 240mb/s speed with the screen (about 2Gbps) so I shouldn't have any problem reaching 920mbps

Did you see my comment above? re: type of machine + which port are you plugged into?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The hub is slow. USB 3.1 Gen 1 drives are slower (about 10%) than on the MacBook Pro as well. I would use it only for slower USB devices like keyboards and mice. I suppose USB speakers would be fine too.
It works perfectly fine for a backup hard drive. Even on an SSD I got 240W/320R, so about a 30-40% reduction compared to a direct connection. But fine for backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.