Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Pull with more pressure. Even if you break it you were planning on sending it back anyway.

i eventually offered a deal to the seller (instead of return/refund/replacement): they refunded $40 which I'll use to buy a new stand. the monitor comes with a VESA adapter so there are plenty of 3rd-party stands to choose from.

Gin_Melkior

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
I decided to sell my LG now while resell value is still decent. The Studio will hold it's value longer than the LG. Why not sell now when I can get the most money? I don't have any of the reported problems yet. However, after reading about the hassle people have had to deal with for getting repairs on the LG, it doesn't make me feel comfortable in the long run. Apple has incredible support and to me that is an upgrade in itself. That peace of mind is ultimately what sold it to me.
I am thinking about the same. Just placed an order yesterday.

littlehuman

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
I just received my repaired LG 5K, but noticed that the fan isn't running at all.

Could anyone please check to see if the fan runs all the time?

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I just received my repaired LG 5K, but noticed that the fan isn't running at all.

Could anyone please check to see if the fan runs all the time?

Mine is dead silent. If it is running it must be on low because I've never heard the fan once.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Mine is dead silent. If it is running it must be on low because I've never heard the fan once.
Same here. Tbh, I didn't even know that there were fans ? I'm very sensible regarding noises such as fan noises/beeping noises but I never noticed anything so apparently it's indeed dead silent.

Reactions: WP31 and saulinpa

regtor

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
I've tried searching this thread to no avail. My 27MD5KLB-B Ultrafine 5K's speakers, camera and mic stopped working all of the sudden, after working fine yesterday and for years (monitor purchased in May 2020). In the past this occasionally happened but it would be fixed after a reboot or (at worst) an SMC reset, but neither has worked after several tries. None of the devices (camers, speakers, mic) show up in System Preferences, FaceTime, or other apps, but the display itself is working well. I've tried resetting the monitor via the LG screen manager but that does not seem to do anything. The LG screen manager does not tell me what firmware I have but the System Report shows the following:

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 5.17.21 PM.png

(there is a hard drive connected to one of the USB-C ports in back)
I am using the TB 3 cable that came with the monitor but will try a new TB 4 cable at the suggestion of another forum member.
Any thoughts? I'm running a 2019 15" MBP with Big Sur 11.7.4

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
I've tried searching this thread to no avail. My 27MD5KLB-B Ultrafine 5K's speakers, camera and mic stopped working all of the sudden, after working fine yesterday and for years (monitor purchased in May 2020). In the past this occasionally happened but it would be fixed after a reboot or (at worst) an SMC reset, but neither has worked after several tries. None of the devices (camers, speakers, mic) show up in System Preferences, FaceTime, or other apps, but the display itself is working well. I've tried resetting the monitor via the LG screen manager but that does not seem to do anything. The LG screen manager does not tell me what firmware I have but the System Report shows the following:

View attachment 2163536
(there is a hard drive connected to one of the USB-C ports in back)
I am using the TB 3 cable that came with the monitor but will try a new TB 4 cable at the suggestion of another forum member.
Any thoughts? I'm running a 2019 15" MBP with Big Sur 11.7.4
Do you have any other Thunderbolt or USB C devices you can plug the monitor into. Even if they cannot push the 5k it will display something at a lower res. Furthermore the version you have supports USB and Thunderbolt display which means it may be a device that may not have Thunderbolt. This may at least help you narrow things down.

regtor

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
Update - I plugged the Ultrafine 5K into a 2021 M1 MBP and (while a lovely picture) the camera, speakers, and mic still do not work and do not show up in System Settings/preferences. I also tried using a TB 4 cable (instead of the TB 3 cable the monitor came with) to connect both my 2019 MBP and the 2021 MBP and still no camera/mic/speaker. So, I'm suspecting there is a hardware problem with the monitor. Any thoughts appreciated...

markturnip

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
Have a 27MD5KL which display does not turn on.

Using the Apple PSU USB-C cable I can output audio and use the USB hub.
However the display doesn't not appear in System Information or LG Screen Manager.

Possibly need to try different cables.
However the previous owner explained it was non-functional.

Wonder how I diagnose what wrong before spending $500+ on a new logic board (EBU64783102)

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Have a 27MD5KL which display does not turn on.

Using the Apple PSU USB-C cable I can output audio and use the USB hub.
However the display doesn't not appear in System Information or LG Screen Manager.

Possibly need to try different cables.
However the previous owner explained it was non-functional.

Wonder how I diagnose what wrong before spending $500+ on a new logic board (EBU64783102)
Get a real TB3 cable and then check if your Mac sees a TB device.

Also seeing board for $380 on LG's site which is cheaper than eBay: https://lgparts.com/products/ebu64783102

Reactions: jimthing

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
My camera died after the update to 13.3. However the microphone/speakers work and the camera works on my other LG 5K screen so it is mostly likely related to the screen. I have tried to switch cables and those are not the problem.

rgraphic

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2023
So this has been driving crazy trying every possible option. I can calibrate the LG 5k no problem with a color munki along with the i1 software or calibrite using my 2019 MacBook (with intel). Trying to calibrate the same display with both an m1 studio and m2 mini pro and there is some strange compression to deep blacks and over all contrast just isn't where it should be (probably due to the different graphics processing?) but both i1 software and calibrite say they support the m1/m2 architecture. I have even tried using the icc profile from the intel Mac and dropping it on the M1...and it looks compressed and lacking contrast still! Using the built in LG factory profile the blacks are more so where they should be and the compression artifacts disappear but the color just isn't corrected obviously.

Am I missing something?

I recently purchased an apple studio display because it was driving me crazy. That display calibrates properly with the i1 software. There appears to be something throwing off the calibration or gamut between the new m1 architecture and communicates with the LG 5k.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
So this has been driving crazy trying every possible option. I can calibrate the LG 5k no problem with a color munki along with the i1 software or calibrite using my 2019 MacBook (with intel). Trying to calibrate the same display with both an m1 studio and m2 mini pro and there is some strange compression to deep blacks and over all contrast just isn't where it should be (probably due to the different graphics processing?) but both i1 software and calibrite say they support the m1/m2 architecture. I have even tried using the icc profile from the intel Mac and dropping it on the M1...and it looks compressed and lacking contrast still! Using the built in LG factory profile the blacks are more so where they should be and the compression artifacts disappear but the color just isn't corrected obviously.

Am I missing something?

I recently purchased an apple studio display because it was driving me crazy. That display calibrates properly with the i1 software. There appears to be something throwing off the calibration or gamut between the new m1 architecture and communicates with the LG 5k.
My job let me borrow an LG Ultrafine and I took it home to use with my M1 Macbook Pro and I think I had similar issues. I couldn't get it to look right no matter what I did. There was posterization, everything looked a bit green, it was just unpleasant. I tried some basic calibration and nothing worked.

Ended up getting a Studio Display which looked almost perfect out of the box. I knocked the blue down a little bit for aesthetic reasons but I've loved it ever since.

Given the cost of these LG displays and that people have been apparently happy with them in the past, I wonder if there's indeed an issue with them that only shows up with Apple Silicon Macs. I didn't have an Intel Mac handy to test with. Seeing your reply here seems to vindicate that theory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.