Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I no longer buy these monitors due to this issue. We have about 10 and they eventually all fail with this.

I have one of the first releases of the LG 5K that had the WiFi interference issue. Mine is still prone to that issue. I never sent it in to be fixed, but my first gen 5K seems to be pretty robust.

avedis

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
I've the second version, MD5KL-B which I bought in Jan 2020 and it's been pretty good so far except that screen might go into full brightness when waking from sleep. I've also seen image retention are a widely reported problem but so far mine is working fine. Suspect might be due to the fact that I'm only using 30% brightness at max

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Rather than the second version 27MD5KL from 2019, I have two of the first version 27MD5KA bought in Feb 2017 just after the shielding was fixed on the initial Nov-Dec 2016 batch: no issues.

So this is nothing to do with differences between the A & L variants; they're the same. It's a random issue.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I have the second version. It’s been flawless. My wife has the first version, with a few sporadic power-offs and the aforementioned pink tinge that has gotten worse - around the edge of the screen.
Well isn't that interesting. I have an 2015 iMac 5K 27" and also have a subtle pink tinge around the edge of the screen.

Did they use the exact same bad batch of panels in the LG Ultrafine and the 2015 iMac 5K? I wonder if there should be a recall.

strangeengine

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2017
I have one of the first releases of the LG 5K that had the WiFi interference issue. Mine is still prone to that issue. I never sent it in to be fixed, but my first gen 5K seems to be pretty robust.

I also have one of those and I've replaced the logic board once already. And now it's got some impressive burn-in style artifacts. Even though the 5K was designed by Apple, it doesn't really meet the standards I expect from them.

Really looking forward to getting a Studio Display.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I also have one of those and I've replaced the logic board once already. And now it's got some impressive burn-in style artifacts. Even though the 5K was designed by Apple, it doesn't really meet the standards I expect from them.

Really looking forward to getting a Studio Display.
I've got image retention, but thankfully no burn in. The image retention isn't very noticeable in dark mode. I'm also happy to see that Studio Display launch because I was dreading the day when my luck with this display might run out. I got it for the $999 discount launch price in 2016. I'm not sure I'd want to pay regular price for it if I had to buy it again.

strangeengine

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2017
I've got image retention, but thankfully no burn in. The image retention isn't very noticeable in dark mode.

Good times.

burnin.jpg

littlehuman

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
So my LG 5k started having what seems like a power issue. It turns on and off indefinitely.

What's interesting is that...it works just fine with USB-C cable that only supports 20gbs meaning that the monitor turns on and displays everything fine, but in 4K (confirmed in SwitchResX).

It looks like this is not a power issue at all.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

I'm going to send it for a repair, but I'm just curious.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well isn't that interesting. I have an 2015 iMac 5K 27" and also have a subtle pink tinge around the edge of the screen.

Did they use the exact same bad batch of panels in the LG Ultrafine and the 2015 iMac 5K? I wonder if there should be a recall.
Not sure. It hasn’t been uncommon since I’ve read about it before. Doesn’t make it any less annoying, of course…

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've the second version, MD5KL-B which I bought in Jan 2020 and it's been pretty good so far except that screen might go into full brightness when waking from sleep. I've also seen image retention are a widely reported problem but so far mine is working fine. Suspect might be due to the fact that I'm only using 30% brightness at max
Yep I have that same bug. Surprising Apple hasn’t addressed it in software in MacOS.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
To the people with burn in, which model are you using? Is it prevalent in the 2019 revision?

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Last edited:

meste

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
Morning,

I am a happy new owner of LG Ultrafine 5k monitor for my MacBook Pro M1 machine and I am very happy! Some of the issues reported by other I was happy to find out they were software issues which were ironed out in the meantime.

I have 2 external HDDs connected to the LG, one 16TB WD Elements and 4TB Seagate BackupHub, both USB 3.1

After I put to sleep my laptop, take out the cable and leave it over night I find that only the WD goes to sleep, the Seagate keep spinning. I presume is an incompatibility of some sorts... but I am asking here to see if others have had similar issues and if they managed to solve them.

Thanks,
meste

meste

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
I have also experience some issues re the sound from the LG. If I play from itunes the sound seems ok, but if I play a game after a while (sometimes 5-10 min) I am getting some crack sounds. While I leave the sound source on, if I change the output from LG to macbok pro and back to LG the sound returns to normal. Also once, while watching youtube, I received a phone call that was transferred to my macbook pro and while ringing I could hear the cracking sound returned. Not sure if this is an incompatibility with macos or a bug on my device. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Thanks. meste.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Are many Ultrafine 5K owners changing to the Apple Studio Display? Looked at one in-person today - yes it looks a bit nicer than the black plastic LG, but no difference in the panel. Aesthetics alone seem tough to justify a ~£700 outlay, even when factoring in selling the LG.

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Are many Ultrafine 5K owners changing to the Apple Studio Display? Looked at one in-person today - yes it looks a bit nicer than the black plastic LG, but no difference in the panel. Aesthetics alone seem tough to justify a ~£700 outlay, even when factoring in selling the LG.
I have two of the LG 5Ks, and thought about switching, but it’s just not enough of an upgrade IMHO - partly that’s about the cost differential and partly just the hassle of having to box up and sell the LGs.

I’ve seen the Studio Display in person, and it’s just not that impressive IMHO. Next to a Pro Display XDR the Studio Display looks positively outdated to me - and the XDR represents something that would be a much more meaningful step up - albeit the cost is clearly also very different.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I decided to sell my LG now while resell value is still decent. The Studio will hold it's value longer than the LG. Why not sell now when I can get the most money? I don't have any of the reported problems yet. However, after reading about the hassle people have had to deal with for getting repairs on the LG, it doesn't make me feel comfortable in the long run. Apple has incredible support and to me that is an upgrade in itself. That peace of mind is ultimately what sold it to me.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I decided to sell my LG now while resell value is still decent. The Studio will hold it's value longer than the LG. Why not sell now when I can get the most money? I don't have any of the reported problems yet. However, after reading about the hassle people have had to deal with for getting repairs on the LG, it doesn't make me feel comfortable in the long run. Apple has incredible support and to me that is an upgrade in itself. That peace of mind is ultimately what sold it to me.
What did you get for it, out of interest?

ViktorR

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Ey! I have an Ultrafine 5k that seems to display some odd issues, does anyone know what the below description could match:
- connecting to my Macbook Air M1 charges the machine just fine
- however, at seemingly random times with different cables, it will or will not display a picture/have my mac recognize the LG monitor

The model is 27MD5KA, this also doesn't tell much about the year, right?

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Ey! I have an Ultrafine 5k that seems to display some odd issues, does anyone know what the below description could match:
- connecting to my Macbook Air M1 charges the machine just fine
- however, at seemingly random times with different cables, it will or will not display a picture/have my mac recognize the LG monitor

The model is 27MD5KA, this also doesn't tell much about the year, right?
A is the first ones, L is the second.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I wonder if anyone has an issue where the display isn't precisely aligned with the stand base horizontally (picture attached)?

I just received my new LG 27MD5KL-B and consider returning it because of this flaw.

lg-27-alignment.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.