Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you are in the SF Bay Area, I had mine replaced here:

WOW! That's right in my backyard. I didn't know that place existed. I don't need anything done to my LG 5K, but it's good to know I have an option not too far from here.

flanker

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2021
Thanks, I am in the bay area but at that price I might as well consider buying a new 4k monitor.

strangeengine

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2017
Thanks, I am in the bay area but at that price I might as well consider buying a new 4k monitor.
It really does suck that there's no other real alternative to the 5K. Good lucking finding a modern monitor with speakers, a mic, and a camera. So lame.

Please, Apple, give us an updated Thunderbolt Display!

Reactions: WP31

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
just discovered what appears to be a clump of dead pixels at about centerish height on the right side of the screen. Have already tried cleaning the surface to see if it was particles/stain but it appears to not be that. Some have suggested its possible dust but even if that were true how to do that at home

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
I have a 16" M1 MacBook Pro and an LG 5K Ultrafine monitor. Once in a while I notice that the LG is noticeably dimmer than I had set it to previously.

In this example I had the LG set to full brightness but it seemed more dim than expected. Going to the brightness slider and interacting with it causes the screen to actually go back to full brightness.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to check the firmware on an M1 Mac? LG Screen Manager doesn't work.

WP31

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2020
FWIW I get it quite often with a 2020 Intel MacMini, nearly every time the screen goes to sleep. But I've been assuming it's part of the MacMini external display infrastructure.

I have two external monitors - a HDMI connected LG Ultrawide and a TB3 connected LG 5k. I always figured this problem had something to do with the MacMini situation where only the HDMI display is the 'primary' display and the TB3 connected display doesn't register until you log in (only allowed via the HDMI display). I've been assuming that that disconnect is causing the TB3 display brightness settings to reset, but maybe it's something different.

iceberg5xx

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2021
I am having the LG 5K Camera and LG 5K Speakers disconnect after about 30-45 mins of use, right in the middle of a zoom call. MacBook Pro 15, Late 2015, UltraFine 5k 1st Gen.
Routing/Cabling:
  • Apple ThunderBolt 2 Cable Male [into MacBook] to
  • Apple ThunderBolt 2 Cable Male into
  • Apple Adaptor - ThunderBolt 2 Female to
  • Apple ThunderBolt 3 Male into LG 5K.
Troubleshooting Thus Far
05/08/20 -- *** DELETING DUET DISPLAY *** - CURRENTLY TESTING A DELETION OF DUET DISPLAY

05/08/20 -- Update Firmware. Reset Monitor Settings.
View attachment 913277

Specs
View attachment 913282 View attachment 913281
View attachment 913284 View attachment 913283
@jarrodjob @smario31 Any luck I'm having the same issue connected to my iMac 27, tried all the various resets, etc. Tried switching ports. Will try swapping the TB3 cable next. Video is fine, just the USB devices - Integrated camera, speakers, anything plugged into the USB ports.

Update 11/2/21
USB devices have been stable for almost 24 hours now, I powered everything down and did a NVRAM Reset.

Last edited:

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
just discovered what appears to be a clump of dead pixels at about centerish height on the right side of the screen. Have already tried cleaning the surface to see if it was particles/stain but it appears to not be that. Some have suggested its possible dust but even if that were true how to do that at home
I discovered the same thing with my 5k Ultrafine. I have opened tickets with LG but I have no way to contact them again after they contact me. I get an email from a donotreply address but there is no way to log in to my ticket to reply or make edits or submit more info. It is so frustrating. To add insult to injury, they suggested that this is physical damage and not covered by the warranty despite the fact that it just came out of the box and had this smudge under the screen.

IMG_0205.jpeg

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
I have a 16" M1 MacBook Pro and an LG 5K Ultrafine monitor. Once in a while I notice that the LG is noticeably dimmer than I had set it to previously.

In this example I had the LG set to full brightness but it seemed more dim than expected. Going to the brightness slider and interacting with it causes the screen to actually go back to full brightness.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to check the firmware on an M1 Mac? LG Screen Manager doesn't work.
Yes - exactly same behaviour with a MBP 16" M1 MAX. I have an Apple XDR (no dimming issue) and a LG 5K UltraFine (dims every time it goes to sleep). The LG 5 is connected via a CalDigit TS3 dock.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I discovered the same thing with my 5k Ultrafine. I have opened tickets with LG but I have no way to contact them again after they contact me. I get an email from a donotreply address but there is no way to log in to my ticket to reply or make edits or submit more info. It is so frustrating. To add insult to injury, they suggested that this is physical damage and not covered by the warranty despite the fact that it just came out of the box and had this smudge under the screen.

View attachment 1901930
Where is yours located. Thats like practically the same size and shape that mine is

dieselm

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
In Monterey and with the latest LG 5k firmware update, the monitor doesn't automatically connect after a reboot.

I have to disconnect and reconnect the monitor (USB/Thunderbolt) cable.

Does anyone else have this problem or a solution for it?

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I have a very strange issue:

- From one day to another, the monitor stopped showing an image when I connected it to the top-left Thunderbolt port on my MBP. macOS showed some kind of warning, mentioning some issue with USB devices (don't remember the exact wording).
- I tried a different port, and suddenly, it worked.
- Shortly after, the monitor stopped working altogether (no matter to which port I connected it).
- Important: I tried a different MBP --> The monitor didn't turn on.

Now even more weird:
- I tried a different cable --> Didn't work.
- Then I disconnected the monitor from power and re-connected it.

Final result: It still doesn't work with the top-left port but with every other port, it suddenly works fine again.

This is so strange: Where exactly is the issue?

EDIT: I should also mention that the monitor charges my MBP via the top-left port but the monitor doesn't turn on. Previously (before un- and re-connecting it to power, it didn't even charge).

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Has anyone been able to get a hold of LG for a reasonable repair on these again after the initial stoppage due to COVID?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
yeah only way to be usable at native res is to be physically bigger. You dont get the razer sharpness as you do with the ultrafines though. Still a good holdover until we get whatever apple's solution is for 5k and ultrawide

Reactions: WP31

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Has anyone been able to get a hold of LG for a reasonable repair on these again after the initial stoppage due to COVID?

they replaced my panel but if im honest it was very difficult getting direct communication as when you email them using the form you cant just reply to the email. You have to submit another form har har.

Reactions: jimthing

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
they replaced my panel but if im honest it was very difficult getting direct communication as when you email them using the form you cant just reply to the email. You have to submit another form har har.
This was my experience as well. Any time I had new information to report or to send an update, I had to send a new form. Then I would get yelled at because I already have a ticket open so why would I open another one. Its a completely horrible system but I was able to send my 27" Ultrafine out and got a perfect display back although the box was beat to hell after it returned to me.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
This was my experience as well. Any time I had new information to report or to send an update, I had to send a new form. Then I would get yelled at because I already have a ticket open so why would I open another one. Its a completely horrible system but I was able to send my 27" Ultrafine out and got a perfect display back although the box was beat to hell after it returned to me.
heh i actually called them and luckily got a hold of someone right before sending out who almost suggested just using a random box and making sure it was "secured". I asked if we would get the original box back if we sent that and he said he said it typically is ok (but some online reviews about NOT getting it back or it being completely destroyed). All things considered by box is in amazing condition considering the 10 day trip back and forth.

littlehuman

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
Phew...mine just started having a symptom of failing power board again. Mine failed three times with the same power board issue in the last 3 years. It turns on and off indefinitely. It'll die eventually in a few days. At least I'm within 90 days of my last repair.

I'm not sure if I'm just bad luck or there is something wrong with my apartment's power. How can a monitor die four times for the exact same reason in 3 years? Unbelievable.

Well, time to look for 27" 4k monitors I guess.....

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Phew...mine just started having a symptom of failing power board again. Mine failed three times with the same power board issue in the last 3 years. It turns on and off indefinitely. It'll die eventually in a few days. At least I'm within 90 days of my last repair.

I'm not sure if I'm just bad luck or there is something wrong with my apartment's power. How can a monitor die four times for the exact same reason in 3 years? Unbelievable.

Well, time to look for 27" 4k monitors I guess.....
Had the same issue. Their power boards are garbage.
I no longer buy these monitors due to this issue. We have about 10 and they eventually all fail with this.
Hopefully the Apple Studio, while being somewhat overpriced, will be better built.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Had the same issue. Their power boards are garbage.
I no longer buy these monitors due to this issue. We have about 10 and they eventually all fail with this.
Hopefully the Apple Studio, while being somewhat overpriced, will be better built.
My wife’s has this issue, along with the whole screen gradually turning pink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.