Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riaandj

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2015
So my backlighting is hosed. I guess I'll have to have Apple send a replacement. :(

Apple wants me to setup a genius bar appointment (don't know why, not like they'll be able to fix it). LG's tech support said Apple is handling and no resources are available. Apple's tech support doesn't have any idea who to route this to for support and are trying to send me back to LG. I'm going to just have them ship another, bill me and return the defective one to the store. This is making me wish it was an Apple product and not 3rd party.
Hi

I suddenly get the same thing on my LG5K running off a 2020 MAckbrook Pro 16. I have the same setup at my office but the screen at home does this - image attached.

Apologies for a dumb question, but what should I say to Apple support> You say this is best described as a backlighting problem. I just know from past experience that if you don't have a clear enough description of your problem they will bounce you around.

I run the monitor through a Caldigit docking station.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1617429852030.png
    1617429852030.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 338

rtkane

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
Sorry.. just seeing your question. When I talked to Apple I said it appeared to be a backlighting issue where part of the LED's would dim when I'd dim the screen but the other part would stay lit. But it's been about 4 years so I don't really remember what they said other than Apple pointing the finger to LG and LG pointing the finger to Apple. I just bought another monitor and returned the defective one. Haven't had a problem since. The picture you attached, however, does not appear to be a backlighting issue--I'd try seeing if not running it through the docking station makes a difference and if you have another monitor you can swap out, see if that one works. I'd think (and I'm by no means an expert here so this is just a guess) that if the other monitor works, the problem is with a defective LG; if the docking station removal and connecting the monitor without using the dock works, it's the dock; and if the other monitor works, maybe it's a bad graphics driver? Good luck--hopefully you already got this fixed.

Reactions: jimthing

jsoeung

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2021
I've had my LG 5k for about a year now. I accidentally yanked the thunderbolt cord out from the side when I was adjusting my desk and the entire TB3 pin came out. Am I screwed? I imagine that it would be pretty difficult to solder back on. Will I need a new motherboard? Thanks.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
I've had my LG 5k for about a year now. I accidentally yanked the thunderbolt cord out from the side when I was adjusting my desk and the entire TB3 pin came out. Am I screwed? I imagine that it would be pretty difficult to solder back on. Will I need a new motherboard? Thanks.
Curious about this as I believe the TB3 port on mine that displays video has failed. Wondering if anyone does a board level repair. The other ports power fine.

JJDRM

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2018
Is anyone getting more than 60W of power? I've tried different cables and can't get more than this

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 2.17.47 PM.png

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
As long as its LG Panel, you will end up image retention either way.
Is that actually true? The panels may be made by the same company (LG?), but the quality of the XDR ones is likely to be far higher, and come from LG's higher quality panel ranges.

AFAIUI, regardless of brand, just as you can buy TV's for $500, $5000, $20000 – the price you pay is part of the choice of panel the manufacturer gives you (other things being paid for are extra hardware/software functionalities). Clearly paying $5K or $20K for a TV gets you much better quality internal panels, than cheaper models at $500.

Having said that, the panels in the LG 5K are supposed to be the same as in the 5K iMac, so why are the iMac's not having as many complaints from owners? And the LG 5K's are also reasonable pricey at ~$1300 each, so again, why are no many retention issues being seen in them at this cost?

My only guess on the second point, is that 5K panels are expensive generally to make, hence the $1300 price of these external displays. And maybe LG are giving Apple preferential picking from their production line, or similar, for their iMacs...?

Last edited:
Reactions: WP31

kikotte

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
hey,

Just bought a used LG Ultrafine 5K (for Mac) on eBay for my Macbook Pro M1 (Big Sur with last updates).

It's not working :(

I downloaded LG Screen Manager en Apple Store. No firmware update is available.

What can I do to fix that ?

Attachments

• lg-broken-2.jpg
    lg-broken-2.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
hey,

Just bought a used LG Ultrafine 5K (for Mac) on eBay for my Macbook Pro M1 (Big Sur with last updates).

It's not working :(

I downloaded LG Screen Manager en Apple Store. No firmware update is available.

What can I do to fix that ?
Verify you are using a good TB3 cable. Use the TB3 port, not any of the three USB3 ports. Otherwise send it back as dead on arrival.

Last edited:
Reactions: WP31

WP31

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2020
Is that actually true? The panels may be made by the same company (LG?), but the quality of the XDR ones is likely to be far higher, and come from LG's higher quality panel ranges.

AFAIUI, regardless of brand, just as you can buy TV's for $500, $5000, $20000 – the price you pay is part of the choice of panel the manufacturer gives you (other things being paid for are extra hardware/software functionalities). Clearly paying $5K or $20K for a TV gets you much better quality internal panels, than cheaper models at $500.

Having said that, the panels in the LG 5K are supposed to be the same as in the 5K iMac, so why are the iMac's not having as many complaints from owners? And the LG 5K's are also reasonable pricey at ~$1300 each, so again, why are no many retention issues being seen in them at this cost?

My only guess on the second point, is that 5K panels are expensive generally to make, hence the $1300 price of these external displays. And maybe LG are giving Apple preferential picking from their production line, or similar, for their iMacs...?
Are you me (very similar setups and similar rationale ref panels)? Yeah, I'm with you here. When Apple stopped making external displays several years ago they essentially consolidated their >15" panel production to LG - very Tim Apple-esque from a supply chain point of view. Anyway, for years, until the XDR, Apple basically only endorsed two external/AIO monitor panels, the 21/24" and 27" LG panels. It's what was in their iMacs and the LG UFs (the implicitly endorsed Apple external monitor). I'd bet my lunch Apple held LG to a contractual quality standard and I'd bet my dinner they subsidized the resolution standard (4K@24" and 5K@27"). We know that most if not all other manufacturers either dipped their toes in those size/resolution waters and backed away quickly or watched Dell do it and learned "most customers won't pay the premium for 'retina' resolution monitors". The consumer market was plenty happy with 4K@27+", especially for cheaper and cheaper prices. Anyway, those 5K panels are expensive and very few (relatively speaking) people actually buy them.

I have an original LG5KUF (A series) and had some image retention issues after a couple years. I sent it back to LG and they replaced the panel for ~$150. Haven't had issues since.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I've had 3 LG Ultrafines. Only one of them had image retention. Apple replaced it without any fuss.
I have a 5K LG that was purchased when they first came out. The image retention issue is driving me nuts lately...

How did you get Apple to deal with the LG screen? Any tips/tricks?

Reactions: jimthing

johnscully

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
Got the LG 5K today to accompany my iMac 21.5 – but the viewing angle stability and the color shift on the edges are much worse on the LG. For the pictures I turned off the light in the room and used plain black wallpaper on both displays. The photos exaggerate the problem a bit, but I'm definitely disappointed about the image quality of the LG.

Attachments

• IMG_3486.jpeg
    IMG_3486.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3487.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 171

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
^ YIKES! Thats unacceptable

These issues/and re-realese were solely to the 5K monitors?

Were the 4k 24" ultra fines plagued with their own issues?

BobHinden

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
LG 5K Pixel shifting problem fixed in MacOS 11.5.1?

I haven't seen the pixel shift problem with my LG 5K monitor (on a M1 MacMini) since I installed 11.5.1. It may have been fixed. Can't find any detailed release notes.

What are other people experiences?

Franckymrs

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019
LG 5K Pixel shifting problem fixed in MacOS 11.5.1?

I haven't seen the pixel shift problem with my LG 5K monitor (on a M1 MacMini) since I installed 11.5.1. It may have been fixed. Can't find any detailed release notes.

What are other people experiences?
for me the problem is solved since the release of 11.5 with a DFU mode restore

I am using the LG Thunderbolt cable

Reactions: BobHinden

flanker

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2021
So I have two LG Ultrafine died on me this past couple of month. One has no display, while the other has a very dim display. My macbook detect its being charged but cannot detect the display. As they are out of warranty, is it worth it to get it repair? Any idea what the repair cost will be like?
Thanks

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
So I have two LG Ultrafine died on me this past couple of month. One has no display, while the other has a very dim display. My macbook detect its being charged but cannot detect the display. As they are out of warranty, is it worth it to get it repair? Any idea what the repair cost will be like?
Thanks
I have yet to be able to get LG to help with the repair on mine, gladly would pay the flat rate, and every place that is LG certified I have called don't actually repair their monitors oddly enough. Rock and a hard place on these. Please let me know if you stumble upon a repair solution.

strangeengine

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2017
Thanks
Likely main board failures. Mine were about $480 to replace 18 months ago.

If you are in the SF Bay Area, I had mine replaced here:

- Mark

Reactions: smirking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.