Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Yup, the whole situation is a real bummer :( The LG 5K monitor is such a gorgeous display regarding resolution, color and brightness and it's really sad that it's being held back by such annoying issues. What other display(s) on the market right now come(s) closest to the LG 5K monitor while not having these problems?

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
At this point I do not think it is wise to buy any Ultrafine LG products when they have dropped support only 3.5 years later and won't even support the "2019" models. If you talk to Apple, they say talk to LG, you talk to LG, they tell you to go away.
If you have an older model you probably have IR/burn in, bad bluetooth, or a failing power supply.
If you have the 2019 models you may have artifacts on screen that are only fixed by plugging in and out. Almost all Ultrafines seem to develop IR/burn in within two to three years, now without support, you're just stuck. My hat goes off to the folks that were able to get their displays fixed before LG turned off the support.

I would say any LG panel product that have high PPI at this point, since all the monitor that is 4K/5K 27" above all exhibit similar issue. This including DELL..

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I purchased two 5K Ultrafine displays in 2017.

One of the two 5K displays stopped working in February of 2019. The unit received power but had a black screen/blank screen. I sent the display to LG for repair. They replaced the panel for $150. It took well over a month to get it back (maybe closer to two months). One and a half years later, it still works after the repair, but it has retention issues and pretty bad burn in.

The second of my two 5K display stopped working in June of 2020. I called LG about getting it repaired. I expected to spend $150 for the same repair I had done to the first 5K display and for it to take a month or two to repair this second display (just like with the first).

Nope:

After weeks of contradictory messages from multiple chat, email, and phone reps, LG finally told me definitively they no longer support the 5k Ultrafine Display and would not repair it. They said I would have to bring it to a local repair shop to get it fixed. They have a list of authorized dealers and recommended the closest one to my location.

I brought the 5K display into the local repair shop. A week went by and after I called for an update, they told me LG said it was probably a firmware issue. I explained that I have two identical 5K Ultrafine Displays, both on the same firmware, and one works while the other doesn't.

"This is not a firmware issue," I said. "The unit receives power when connected, but there is no picture. The same exact thing happened to my other 5K Ultrafine Display. LG replaced the panel on that one and it worked fine. I'm sure if you replace the panel on this display, it will work."

After 3 more weeks of hassle, they finally told me they talked to LG, and LG said they no longer support the display and they could not get what they needed to repair the display and that I was sore out of luck.

I now need to go pick up my still-broken 5K display after 2 months of no one being able to repair it.

Does anyone know where or how in the world I can get this thing fixed?
This sounds strange to me. Apple still sold (or even SELL now in a few territories!) the LG 5K's. So how on earth can they say they don't support them anymore?

Even in the US (and UK, other EU), they sold them up until only a couple of months ago. If someone comes to them with one still within warranty, what would LG be doing then...?

I have two of Mar 2017 age, still going strong with no issues or fixes (maybe UK more temperate climate, or something, lol!). So lack of support sounds ridiculous to me.

EDIT: A quick search of the US Apple online store using a random (10005) zip showed a few stores still have them for pickup! So even in the US they're still selling them! So how can they not support still being sold products??

Last edited:

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2008
This sounds strange to me. Apple still sold (or even SELL now in a few territories!) the LG 5K's. So how on earth can they say they don't support them anymore?

Even in the US (and UK, other EU), they sold them up until only a couple of months ago. If someone comes to them with one still within warranty, what would LG be doing then...?

The only thing I can think is that maybe when LG says they "no longer support" the model, they could be referring to the 2017 version of the display (which is the one I own)?

If I'm understanding correctly from reading this thread, others have mentioned a 2019 version of the 5K Ultrafine Display that, while otherwise identical to the 2017 version, has a different model number.

Is it possible that LG still supports, and will make repairs for, the 2019 model? I'm not sure. I suppose someone with a 2019 model will have to let us know what LG tells them. I certainly hope that's the case, for the sake of all the 2019 model owners.

As the owner of a 2017 model, I'm feeling really... not great about:

1. Spending between $2–3k on a couple displays that both develop the same issue
  2. Both displays not having the issue covered by the warranty (had to spend $150 to fix the first one)
  3. Being unable to get the second one fixed—even for $150—just 3 years after purchase

Reactions: jimthing

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
The only thing I can think is that maybe when LG says they "no longer support" the model, they could be referring to the 2017 version of the display (which is the one I own)?

If I'm understanding correctly from reading this thread, others have mentioned a 2019 version of the 5K Ultrafine Display that, while otherwise identical to the 2017 version, has a different model number.

Is it possible that LG still supports, and will make repairs for, the 2019 model? I'm not sure. I suppose someone with a 2019 model will have to let us know what LG tells them. I certainly hope that's the case, for the sake of all the 2019 model owners.

As the owner of a 2017 model, I'm feeling really... not great about:

1. Spending between $2–3k on a couple displays that both develop the same issue
  2. Both displays not having the issue covered by the warranty (had to spend $150 to fix the first one)
  3. Being unable to get the second one fixed—even for $150—just 3 years after purchase
What they told me is that thy would only repair in warranty displays. Out of warranty need to go to third party repair facilities. I assume they also would refuse a 2019 Purchased 12 months ago or longer. They are probably aware of the many issues and are avoiding the costs associated with having to repair so many units, the agents I spoke to told me this applies to the 5K only because it is an Apple monitor.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
I’ve been using mine for 2.5 years on a daily basis, mostly for work with my Macbook. Doing daily video conferences, audio only meetings and that kind of stuff, fully putting the monitor to good use and it’s been flawless, even bought as a refurb from eBay for $700ish. I’d buy one again if it breaks.

Reactions: WP31 and jimthing

flipcide

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2020
I bought my 1st UltraFine 5k in 2017. Worked ok apart from the built-in webcam disconnecting during calls intermittently. Then one day in 2019 it failed to power on. Sent it in for repair and after paying $150 and waiting a couple weeks I received the unit back with a replaced mainboard, it wasn't that bad of an experience.

However... 8 months later in January of 2020 it failed to power on again. Called LG support and realized the quality of everything had gone down. The 1st level offshore support are practically worthless and didn't know who to transfer me to or how to help. I spoke to several departments within LG, some claiming they would repair at no cost since it hadn't even been a year since the last repair. In the end I was offered (by this incredibly rude rep named Theresa) to pay an additional $150 to repair my existing unit and get a 10% rebate if I bought a new one.

I ended up doing both. I'm kind of glad I did because it literally took them over a month to get it back to me. Once again they replaced the mainboard and although it worked, the colors were slightly off and a slight pink hue was visible around the edges when viewing white backgrounds. I called LG Support and selected the option "problem with an existing repair" and this time they told me they would buy back the unit. Well after jumping through all sorts of hoops and countless calls for 4 weeks I get Theresa again who rudely told me they won't buy back the unit, nor will they fix ANY UltraFine displays outside of their 1-year warranty, because they're "Apple units".

In the end I ended scouring the web for email addresses for their customer relations and customer service leadership and wrote a super long letter detailing the whole saga. I ended getting a refund for both repairs. Oh and that new unit I bought has been working great... until a few weeks ago when I was told my mic had crackling and popping noises every time I was unmuted. Apparently it's a thing with the 5Ks. Uggghhhh. Life's Good ?.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Is anyone else seeing cracks in the case? I’m getting hairline cracks on mine in the sides of the front bezel. I’ve had it on a VESA mount and I’ve been pretty gentle with it. I thought maybe I caused it unknowingly when I took it off to fix the mount, but the hairline cracks are showing up all over the left and right of the front bezel.

Talked to LG about fixing it. They quoted me $150c then said with COVID they’re not doing any repairs right now, and to get it fixed locally if I could. They said they’re write me more later, and the support case is still open? So I don’t know what’s going on. They said $150 was also probably worth more than a new monitor. (Har Har.)

I’d replace the bezel myself but ordering parts for these looks to be impossible.

I bought the extended warranty but with the way LG is disowning these it might have been a mistake.

avedis

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
Bought an Ultrafine 5k in Jan this year and it's so far so good fingers crossed. However, am facing the same issue as flipcide with regards to my C9 OLED bought in December last year.

Had 3 panel replacements so far and it still fails! I'm based in Singapore but from what I read so far, LG's ***** customer service seems to be a worldwide issue.

Ayf

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I have a brand new 27MD5KL-B which does not detect the webcam and has issues w/ the mic. Firmware cannot be updated either via the app - it just throws the interrupted error.

Sound is detected but when selected as input the mic does not seem to work. The speakers do. I’ve tried two different MacBook pro’s fully updated w/ Catalina and two different Thunderbolt cables. Is this likely hardware issue w/ the display or an issue w/ the thunderbolt cable?

There was a post earlier in the thread w/ the same issue but I didn’t see a resolution to this?

Thoughts?

strangeengine

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2017
My Jan 2017 monitor is now dead. Supplies power to the attached laptop but won't light up the screen or even be recognized by the computer.

This completely sucks. The UltraFine 5K was WAY too expensive to last less than 4 years. ?

Related: guess how many companies make monitors with built-in webcams, mics, and speakers these days? Hint: zero that I can find.

I really, really, really miss my Thunderbolt Displays right about now.

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
That's not what that display is for. Apple has been pretty clear that it's for a very niche purpose.

I just bought an XDR and am using it for development. It is connected to a MBP 16" along with a 27" Thunderbolt display. Yes, it is very expensive but I use it at least 10 hours a day and love the sharpness, thin bezels and color reproduction. It is overkill for what I need, but Apple stopped making consumer displays and I like Apple quality.

Reactions: AMP12345

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
^^^ That animation linked above is comedy. Using an enormous 32" widescreen in portrait mode to work on a SINGLE file of source code. Most likely a non-programmer made that animation!

kajukenbo

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2018
Forgive me if this is the wrong thread, but I have an LG UltraFine 4k (older 22" one) and the USB-C devices plugged into it keep disconnecting. I've been trying to read through the help threads, but I'm still not having very much luck. I've sent the display back to LG for other issues (never turning off), and I've reset the the display. Any other suggestions?

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Hi guys. I bought the new UltraFine 5K (27MD5KL) 1 week ago and attached it to my 2020 13" Macbook Pro. I have been dealing with:
  1. Screen flickering
  2. USB hub not recognized intermittently
  3. Speakers/volume not recognized intermittently
  4. Brightness not controllable intermittently
I tried all the fixes including resetting NVRAM, SMC, and running LG Screen Manager. Yet the issues persist.

I actually ordered a new one and will return my current one. I am within that 2 week window.

But here's my question: Do these problems affect ALL new UltraFine 5K or this is a quality control issue wherein I will get lucky if I keep ordering/returning until I get a good one?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks. How long have you owned it? Any image retention issues?
I bought the original one when they first came out in 2016 and it worked fine with no image retention until the power supply went out in June 2020. I bought a new one and it still works fine with no image retention. I use the monitor probably five hours a day.

RNA_man

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
I purchased two 5K Ultrafine displays in 2017.

One of the two 5K displays stopped working in February of 2019. The unit received power but had a black screen/blank screen. I sent the display to LG for repair. They replaced the panel for $150. It took well over a month to get it back (maybe closer to two months). One and a half years later, it still works after the repair, but it has retention issues and pretty bad burn in.

The second of my two 5K display stopped working in June of 2020. I called LG about getting it repaired. I expected to spend $150 for the same repair I had done to the first 5K display and for it to take a month or two to repair this second display (just like with the first).

Nope:

After weeks of contradictory messages from multiple chat, email, and phone reps, LG finally told me definitively they no longer support the 5k Ultrafine Display and would not repair it. They said I would have to bring it to a local repair shop to get it fixed. They have a list of authorized dealers and recommended the closest one to my location.

I brought the 5K display into the local repair shop. A week went by and after I called for an update, they told me LG said it was probably a firmware issue. I explained that I have two identical 5K Ultrafine Displays, both on the same firmware, and one works while the other doesn't.

"This is not a firmware issue," I said. "The unit receives power when connected, but there is no picture. The same exact thing happened to my other 5K Ultrafine Display. LG replaced the panel on that one and it worked fine. I'm sure if you replace the panel on this display, it will work."

After 3 more weeks of hassle, they finally told me they talked to LG, and LG said they no longer support the display and they could not get what they needed to repair the display and that I was sore out of luck.

I now need to go pick up my still-broken 5K display after 2 months of no one being able to repair it.

Does anyone know where or how in the world I can get this thing fixed?
I feel you. My 22MD4KA has a disgusting pink hue in all corners of the display that is only getting worse. LG told me to go to an authorized repair shop, only to have the repair tell me that they don't really know how to fix it (I don't blame them as they are advertised as a TV repair store). I must have contacted like 20 shops outside of authorized that told me to just buy a new one. Unacceptable for a 700 dollar product honestly.

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2008
I feel you. My 22MD4KA has a disgusting pink hue in all corners of the display that is only getting worse.
Got the pink hue around the edges too (on my one working 5k Display—that got repaired).

5k Display #2 still out of commission. 😕

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I just noticed that when I go to "Settings" --> "Monitors" and then to the "Colors" tab (of the Ultrafine display) I see 3 entries, each named "LG UltraFine". When hovering across them with the mouse pointer I can see that these are 3 different .icc files.

Anyone else also having this bug?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just noticed that when I go to "Settings" --> "Monitors" and then to the "Colors" tab (of the Ultrafine display) I see 3 entries, each named "LG UltraFine". When hovering across them with the mouse pointer I can see that these are 3 different .icc files.

Anyone else also having this bug?
Yep... does not seem to hurt anything though. I'm on Big Sur now, but that was there in Catalina also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.