Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trojans10

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
Hi all,

I bought a refurbished 5k off Amazon last month and have noticed sth. I get a .5inch clear line down the middle of the screen that is see through. You don't really notice it. But the pixel is like raised just a bit. Hard to explain. Anyways, when I unplug my macbook, and replug it - it goes away. This happens randomy. Is this worth returning for? Wish I could explain this better.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hi all,

I bought a refurbished 5k off Amazon last month and have noticed sth. I get a .5inch clear line down the middle of the screen that is see through. You don't really notice it. But the pixel is like raised just a bit. Hard to explain. Anyways, when I unplug my macbook, and replug it - it goes away. This happens randomy. Is this worth returning for? Wish I could explain this better.
Is it the 2016 model (27MD5KA) or the 2019 model (27MD5KL)? I haven't noticed it yet on the 2019 model under either Windows (HP notebook through an HP TB dock) or macOS (2020 MacBook Pro connected directly or through the HP dock). If you are still within the return period, consider ordering the 2019 version. Apple has them available for next-day delivery in the US now. If you have an Apple Employee Purchase Program through your employer you can get the LG 5K for $1170.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Hey guys,
I just got my LG Ultrafine 5k monitor a week ago (mid-June). It is a very beautiful monitor, and luckily, the display looks fine (no dead pixels or pixel issues of any kind!). I however noticed that when plugged into my MacBook Pro, and watching a YouTube video specifically that maybe 1 hour after listening to Youtube videos, audio issues would appear with the new Youtube video that was loaded up, but when I put on a new Youtube video, it would disappear. This is obviously a software issue, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I just recently upgraded to the newest Catalina version.

Plus when I hooked up my Android phone to it, never had that issue. Odd.

Also, another thing. I was wondering if anyone could help me out in finding out when my monitor was manufactured. I saw that there are several generations of them- going month by month.

My monitors have the month of manufacture imprinted on the label in the back

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
Mine has a long label,=. On the left of the labels it states manufactured : and a date of November 2016
One of the first batch - quite crappy (has shielding issues and retention issues)

Here is an image of the label (serial info and factory ID on the right side - not pictured)

LG fabricated on.jpg

StraightHit

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2020
Thanks for the post, I see now that mine is not pictured like that. I have the L model, likely why there is a different label. Thanks for the help, I just called LG and asked them. Reason I asked was b/c I saw May on the box, so I wanted to make sure it was May of this year not last year. Thanks again for the help, appreciate it @likegadgets

StraightHit

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2020
Hey whenever you guys start a new video, is there a slight pop sound from the LG UltraFine sound thing? Just wondering if that is normal.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I just got a new 16" MBP and I'm having horrible trouble with it and a new LG 5K display with the microphone. I can see in the System Preferences "test" that the LG 5K microphone is picking up my voice. However, it doesn't actually hear me in any applications of any sort when I press the fn key twice to enable it.

Specs: 2019 MBP 16 -> Caldigit TS3 Plus -> LG 5K Display.

*Edit*

It behaves this way even directly connected to the display. What am I missing here?

*Edit again*

The LG display mic will only work correctly if my laptop is open. This is a joke, right? I understand the MacBook's mic not working with the display closed, but the LG mic?

Last edited:

StraightHit

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2020
I just got a new 16" MBP and I'm having horrible trouble with it and a new LG 5K display with the microphone. I can see in the System Preferences "test" that the LG 5K microphone is picking up my voice. However, it doesn't actually hear me in any applications of any sort when I press the fn key twice to enable it.

Specs: 2019 MBP 16 -> Caldigit TS3 Plus -> LG 5K Display.

*Edit*

It behaves this way even directly connected to the display. What am I missing here?

*Edit again*

The LG display mic will only work correctly if my laptop is open. This is a joke, right? I understand the MacBook's mic not working with the display closed, but the LG mic?

William, I've sent back 2 monitors in the past week. It's a beautiful display, but quality control is nonexistent. Feel free to send back as many times as you'd like. For $1300, they only need to focus on three things: The display, speakers, and microphone. And they can't seem to get anything right. Disappointing.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
William, I've sent back 2 monitors in the past week. It's a beautiful display, but quality control is nonexistent. Feel free to send back as many times as you'd like. For $1300, they only need to focus on three things: The display, speakers, and microphone. And they can't seem to get anything right. Disappointing.

I’m not sure it’s a QC issue (in my case). Seems more of an Apple software issue. My wife has the same setup and the same issue.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Interesting. Is it near the midpoint of the screen? I have had the 2019 version for about 10 days now and haven’t noticed it. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that it is taking two DisplayPort signals (one for each half of the screen). That may explain why disconnecting and reconnecting works.
I recently bought the second version and I sometimes get that, but the width of the column isn't always the same. It happens once a week or so. Disconnecting and reconnecting my MBP 16" fixes it, but it is kind of annoying, and a little troublesome.

Yep, my new 5K display (gotten a few weeks ago from Amazon) has this same glitch at times. I have a hot corner set up to put the display to sleep. So I just do that and wake it up and then it's gone.
[automerge]1595444055[/automerge]
I bought an Ultrafine 5k monitor recently, but had to return the unit for Apple as there was a single solid vertical line on the display, changed color a bit but it was always there from day one (only kept the unit for a few days).

I just got the replacement unit and noticed a single line on the middle of the screen that's constantly flickering. The line is just below the webcam. It distorts any text that lands in the middle of the screen (see attached image where the '4' in '4K' is distorted).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it an issue with the display itself or possible interference? I plugged out my Apple power adapter, Sonos and baby monitor that are all nearby, but didn't make any difference. I'm using the monitor with a new MacBook 16".

Yep, the same issue I have. The fastest way to solve it really is to create a hot corner for display sleep, put display to sleep, wake it up - problem solved. It's ridiculous we have to live with this on such an expensive display, but there we go. I've only had my MBP 16" and LG 5K display a few weeks - brand new stock, so it's clearly not solved. Seems like a software bug to me.

Reactions: dennisroethig

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Original owner here. After owning the monitor for 3yrs, I'm seeing image retention that I didn't see originally. It shows up only after a minute on normal brightness.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Also having this issue. Don't know when exactly it started but when I e. g. have Chrome running (full screen, about 75% brightness) after only a couple of minutes when doing nothing the URL bar etc. is burned in for quite some time ?

WP31

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2020
Original owner here. After owning the monitor for 3yrs, I'm seeing image retention that I didn't see originally. It shows up only after a minute on normal brightness.
Hey MrX - Original owner here. Had same retention issue, contacted LG, paid for repair (~$100), all good now/fixed, totally worth it for me. It was worth the out-of-warranty repair cost for me rather than buying a new monitor (and there are no LG5k equivalents on the market anyway so the only new option I would have is another LG5k).

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Hey MrX - Original owner here. Had same retention issue, contacted LG, paid for repair (~$100), all good now/fixed, totally worth it for me. It was worth the out-of-warranty repair cost for me rather than buying a new monitor (and there are no LG5k equivalents on the market anyway so the only new option I would have is another LG5k).

Dude, thanks for the update. Did they say why this is happening? How long have you had the repaired panel and image retention hasn't returned?

Saad-M

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
I've brought another LG 5K monitor from Apple Germany. Received a monitor that had been already opened (broken seal). Setup the monitor and found that this one had the same issue: Vertical moire lines that are easily visible to the naked eye at a distance that cover 75% of the screen. Packed it up and returned to Apple. It seems LG has really appalling QA right now with their monitors.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US

Also original owner. After 3 years I have this issue in addition to serious interference from Wi-Fi as the original batch was not shielded properly (I have access to a few of the units and they all are the same). LG used to repair for a flat $150 fee, but as of March they are refusing to repair them and insist you go to a third party authorized repair facility which will not fix them under the $150 rate. Repair price will vary depending on what the facility determines. The shield issue is a manufacturing defect known to them from the manufacturing and at least under California Law the warranty on this issue should not expire until the defect is corrected.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
Also original owner. After 3 years I have this issue in addition to serious interference from Wi-Fi as the original batch was not shielded properly (I have access to a few of the units and they all are the same). LG used to repair for a flat $150 fee, but as of March they are refusing to repair them and insist you go to a third party authorized repair facility which will not fix them under the $150 rate. Repair price will vary depending on what the facility determines. The shield issue is a manufacturing defect known to them from the manufacturing and at least under California Law the warranty on this issue should not expire until the defect is corrected.

Yep, I contacted them, they refer me to some local shops...
And none of it nearby is having good reviews, which is my concern....

Mine also appear after about 2 years of using, retention all around the monitor with half brightness. It wont disappear until like 5-10 minutes pass..... Makes it unusable...

Bought 2 more new LG 5K, also have retention problem, but not as severe.....
Been through many LG display, every single one exhibit similar problem. It's definitely a LG problem, even the old days of retina MBP and iMac all exhibit the same identical problem.
None of my IPS monitor with AU Optronic have such issue. Not sure why Apple keeps using LG for their cheap junk.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2008
I purchased two 5K Ultrafine displays in 2017.

One of the two 5K displays stopped working in February of 2019. The unit received power but had a black screen/blank screen. I sent the display to LG for repair. They replaced the panel for $150. It took well over a month to get it back (maybe closer to two months). One and a half years later, it still works after the repair, but it has retention issues and pretty bad burn in.

The second of my two 5K display stopped working in June of 2020. I called LG about getting it repaired. I expected to spend $150 for the same repair I had done to the first 5K display and for it to take a month or two to repair this second display (just like with the first).

Nope:

After weeks of contradictory messages from multiple chat, email, and phone reps, LG finally told me definitively they no longer support the 5k Ultrafine Display and would not repair it. They said I would have to bring it to a local repair shop to get it fixed. They have a list of authorized dealers and recommended the closest one to my location.

I brought the 5K display into the local repair shop. A week went by and after I called for an update, they told me LG said it was probably a firmware issue. I explained that I have two identical 5K Ultrafine Displays, both on the same firmware, and one works while the other doesn't.

"This is not a firmware issue," I said. "The unit receives power when connected, but there is no picture. The same exact thing happened to my other 5K Ultrafine Display. LG replaced the panel on that one and it worked fine. I'm sure if you replace the panel on this display, it will work."

After 3 more weeks of hassle, they finally told me they talked to LG, and LG said they no longer support the display and they could not get what they needed to repair the display and that I was sore out of luck.

I now need to go pick up my still-broken 5K display after 2 months of no one being able to repair it.

Does anyone know where or how in the world I can get this thing fixed?

Reactions: oppastopa

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
I have been through the same experience. Their Philippine call center has no ability to help. Headquarters does not reply. Depending on where you are, there may be consumer laws that protect you even if out of warranty. I have several of these monitors where the issue is improper shielding. This was a known initial manufacturing defect and I believe that under California consumer laws the warranty does not run for that issue until repaired and I will be making this claim for several units I own. I understand nothing is guaranteed forever, but this is a high end item currently marketed. I suggest you write to the LG president. Also complain to Apple as this is an expensive item designed for the Apple environment that Apple heavily promoted when launched and sold and still sells. Perhaps we can get Macrumors to write an article on this. No idea how to achieve this. I am staying away from LG products for business and for the home. I despise this brand

oppastopa

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
At this point I do not think it is wise to buy any Ultrafine LG products when they have dropped support only 3.5 years later and won't even support the "2019" models. If you talk to Apple, they say talk to LG, you talk to LG, they tell you to go away.
If you have an older model you probably have IR/burn in, bad bluetooth, or a failing power supply.
If you have the 2019 models you may have artifacts on screen that are only fixed by plugging in and out. Almost all Ultrafines seem to develop IR/burn in within two to three years, now without support, you're just stuck. My hat goes off to the folks that were able to get their displays fixed before LG turned off the support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.