Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

___joshuaturner

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
Sure. 906N....

Seems like a recent production with a June 2019 date on it. Came with the latest firmware. if that means anything
Cool - that gives me some confirmation on what to look for. I cannot afford to be burned a 3rd time by this damn monitor.

Appreciate the info

oppastopa

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
I know the majority in this thread are talking about the newest issue with this miserable display - but can anyone confirm that the newer models no longer have the image retention issue?

I got mine the first week they were released and the image retention is becoming a massive problem. I'm talking ~5 minute retention after only ~30 seconds on screen.

Is there something specific on the monitor I can look for that would indicate that it is newer and doesn't have the image retention issue? I've heard talk of squares/circles, etc.

Unfortunately there just isn't another 5k monitor out there with a similar ppi so I'm stuck here unless I want to drop way too much money on an XDR.

This is also most important to me for my next purchase. My refurb 5k did not show image retention for at least a month or two after I received it. (This is the original model). Now, I can get image retention within 30seconds-1 min and it's insanely annoying, however I've gotten somewhat used to it after all.

Love this monitor but I don't feel safe buying the "new model" yet because of this very issue.

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
I'm very late to the party, but I just picked up the 2019 version of this thing (5KL-B), and it has an odd issue where the speakers seem to get way too loud if I go beyond 30% of the maximum volume. I did a bit of quick Googling on this and a lot of people were having the issue back in 2017, but that was on the old version and was fixed with a firmware update. I'd imagine that firmware would come baked in with the much newer model, so I'm not sure if my issue is caused by the same problem that theirs was.

___joshuaturner

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
My solution to the weird audio problem was just to use external speakers. Not a great solution, but I didn't get the monitor for audio quality.

But I am familiar with the bug, it used to be a lot worse - virtually unusable after the first 4 notches.

StudioMaven

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2020
Howdy,

Glad I found this forum. Has anyone had issues with this display causing their machine to shut down and re-boot both the machine it's connected to and the monitor itself at the same time?

Basically, I have a 27" Retina 2017-era iMac that is connected to this LG 5K monitor via Thunderbolt. Every couple of days something causes the iMac to reboot in the middle of another task. The machine never had this issue before I started using the LG monitor a few weeks ago.

The variables: one Thunderbolt port is running four daisy-chained hard drives (usually only one or two is in use) and the machine is running 10.14.3 (that's a whole other can of worms). I can only surmise the Thunderbolt buses are being overloaded or there's a firmware update in-between 10.14.3 and current Catalina that would resolve this issue (it involves an AFPS hard disk reformatting [again, a can of worms]).

I don't think it's a CPU usuage issue as the last time it re-booted it was in sleep mode and was used for a light task like reading Twitter for a couple of minutes before re-booting itself.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
Howdy,

Glad I found this forum. Has anyone had issues with this display causing their machine to shut down and re-boot both the machine it's connected to and the monitor itself at the same time?

Basically, I have a 27" Retina 2017-era iMac that is connected to this LG 5K monitor via Thunderbolt. Every couple of days something causes the iMac to reboot in the middle of another task. The machine never had this issue before I started using the LG monitor a few weeks ago.

The variables: one Thunderbolt port is running four daisy-chained hard drives (usually only one or two is in use) and the machine is running 10.14.3 (that's a whole other can of worms). I can only surmise the Thunderbolt buses are being overloaded or there's a firmware update in-between 10.14.3 and current Catalina that would resolve this issue (it involves an AFPS hard disk reformatting [again, a can of worms]).

I don't think it's a CPU usuage issue as the last time it re-booted it was in sleep mode and was used for a light task like reading Twitter for a couple of minutes before re-booting itself.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

So you're sure it doesn't happen when the display isn't connected? Never heard of this issue.

marlowja

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
Does anyone have a workaround for how to adjust the brightness on the 2019 5K model while connected over USB-C? The OSX brightness icon pops up when I use the function keys, but the monitor doesn't actually adjust. I've tried to troubleshoot with different cables, firmware updates etc with no luck. I basically can't use the monitor at night since it's at full brightness all the time.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
I know the majority in this thread are talking about the newest issue with this miserable display - but can anyone confirm that the newer models no longer have the image retention issue?

I got mine the first week they were released and the image retention is becoming a massive problem. I'm talking ~5 minute retention after only ~30 seconds on screen.

Is there something specific on the monitor I can look for that would indicate that it is newer and doesn't have the image retention issue? I've heard talk of squares/circles, etc.

Unfortunately there just isn't another 5k monitor out there with a similar ppi so I'm stuck here unless I want to drop way too much money on an XDR.

Not sure if this is what you mean, the old version model is: 27MD5KA the newer model is: 27mD5KL

I would also like to know if the 27MD5KL (newer version) has the retention, I can cope with everything else, but this retention is terrible.

I am considering either purchase another monitor e.g. Dell UP2720Q or upgrade mine from 27MD5KA to 27MD5KL.

StudioMaven

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2020
So you're sure it doesn't happen when the display isn't connected? Never heard of this issue.

It's pretty bizarre. Both Apple and the company we rent the machine from have no idea what could be causing it. We had the machine for a whole year with no screen blackout/restart issues before we bought the display. We're going to update to Catalina this weekend and see if some built-in OS firmware updates resolve the problem.

Reactions: Successful Sorcerer

SweMoG

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2020
It's pretty bizarre. Both Apple and the company we rent the machine from have no idea what could be causing it. We had the machine for a whole year with no screen blackout/restart issues before we bought the display. We're going to update to Catalina this weekend and see if some built-in OS firmware updates resolve the problem.

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Did updating to Catalina resolve the issue?

Reactions: interbear

NigelAD

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2020
I’ve been following this thread and several others, because I have the issue of my LG 5K monitor not waking up from sleep (connected to my Macbook Pro 16 inch with an AMD 5300 graphics card, which seems less faulty than the 5500–I have none of the other issues you and others are reporting). I have a case number with Apple, and with LG. It looks like this is an issue on the Apple side of things, since it is happening with different brands of monitor, including Apple monitors as one person on the Apple thread of the same issue reports. That being said, I’ve also seen reports of the issue not occurring with the very latest version of the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor. My model number is 27MD5KB-B, manufactured in April 2019, whereas the model now being sold by Apple is 27MD5KL-B. Here is a link to one thread where “cooperivan” says the issue disappeared when he replaced his B model with the new L model. I’m currently trying to do this with LG as I bought my monitor just over a month ago. I’d be interested to know if others with the new model are having this issue. But chances are that all of us have model numbers 27MD5KA or 27MD5KB.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/eqyn5t

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
I have another issue, not sure if this is my monitor or not, but there is a weird metal vibration noise through the speakers when i'm listening to people's voices. Wondering if anybody knows why? It's not bass, I've listened to some bass-ey songs and I don't hear this vibrating noise.

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
I bought mine from Apple in November so I assume it's the newest revision. I'm having an issue where the camera/speakers aren't recognized by my MPB 16". It doesn't happen all of the time but it's increasing in frequency. I attend a lot of video/web meetings so it's turning into a major pain. Power cycling (unplugging for 30 sec) the monitor doesn't help.

Any things I can do or look into to troubleshoot this?

NigelAD

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2020
Nudoru, if it’s not too much trouble, I would really be interested in knowing the model of your LG 5K, if it’s not too much trouble. Because I won’t bother trying to return my 27MD5KB to LG and exchange it for a 27MD5KL (if that’s what you have, and if are still having the wake from sleep issue too). As to your media issue, I’m sorry I can’t help there as I haven’t encountered that particular problem...

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
It looks like this is an issue on the Apple side of things, since it is happening with different brands of monitor, including Apple monitors as one person on the Apple thread of the same issue reports. That being said, I’ve also seen reports of the issue not occurring with the very latest version of the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor.

I don't really have anything of substance I can offer you except to say that I used to have odd issues all the time between my 2016 (and now 2018) MBP and my LG 5K. When I first got them, sometimes I would plug in, but get no video until I rebooted my machine. The laptop screen would be functioning fine, but the external display would not activate until after a reboot.

At other times, plugging into my external display caused my MBP to crash and it would become entirely unresponsive until I forced it to power down and restarted it.

These incidents would happen sporadically. It usually happened a few times a week and I'd plug/unplug a few times a day. I always figured it was a software but that would get worked out. It seems to have. This rarely happens anymore to me, but occasionally it will take several tries of unplugging and replugging before I get video on my LG 5K.

Chris B-Roll Cartwright

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2020
Hi there. I just got one of these direct from Apple today. The screen color, resolution everything is great, but it looks like it is curved - so the middle is closer to me than the sides. I have tried different angles, updated the firmware. Connected via Thunderbolt to my 2019 Mac Mini, so should run well. Anyone found a fix? Also re-set the NVRAM and PRAM... still looks odd.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Just noticed this small mark (~2.5mm x 1mm) on my screen. It appears dark when sitting face on, and light when viewed from above. Anyone else experienced similar? Phoned LG and they want it for 10 days to repair. A little inconvenient but now I've seen it, I can't un-see it!

qrwvIeF.jpg

JoruTHE.jpg

Korg86

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2020
I'm using the LG UltraFine 5K with the MBP 16" (Late 2019). The display is laggy, choppy, and nowhere close to as smooth (with any motion) as the iMac display. What is the deal? And is there a way around this? This is ridiculous! If I simply move a window around, or scroll up & down a page in Safari, the entire page is choppy and the text is extremely choppy when moved, unlike Apple displays. What's the deal?

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I'm using the LG UltraFine 5K with the MBP 16" (Late 2019). The display is laggy, choppy, and nowhere close to as smooth (with any motion) as the iMac display. What is the deal? And is there a way around this? This is ridiculous! If I simply move a window around, or scroll up & down a page in Safari, the entire page is choppy and the text is extremely choppy when moved, unlike Apple displays. What's the deal?
That's not normal. My same setup is very smooth.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm with @poorcody ... something is wrong. I run that display off a 2018 13" MBP and it does not behave in that way.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I'm with @poorcody ... something is wrong. I run that display off a 2018 13" MBP and it does not behave in that way.
I'm using the 5K display with a 2017 13" MacBook Pro and also don't have these issues.

By the way: Anyone found a solution for the brightness issue? Can't believe this is still not fixed. The problem: Sometimes when I plug in the LG UltraFine display the brightness of both my MacBook Pro and the LG display get cranked up to 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.