Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Does anyone find that the top row at the pixel level of the main computer monitor doesn't line up to the top row of the LG 5K? i.e. as I move my mouse cursor from the top row (e.g. row 0) of my iMac Pro to the edge, as the cursor rolls over to the LG 5K, it is then in the a different row # of the LG 5K that's midway through the LG 5K screen.

Anyone knows how to fix this?
System Settings - Displays - Arrange...
Also make sure that both are using the same resolution.

AnakChan

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2015
System Settings - Displays - Arrange...
Also make sure that both are using the same resolution.
I forgot to say, they both are. I've also tried switching resolutions to see if it was resolution specific and irrespective of whatever matching resolutions I pick, I always have this offset.

Edit: But you're right, the arrange did it! I only thought arrange was left/right but one could actually move the whole frame up/down too. Thx!!

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
This is the KLP? I don't supposed you can see/tell if the USB-C/Thunderbolt connectors at the back are "more secure" than the original KA or KL-B? I think some of the older revisions (at least the KL-B?) seems to suffer with weak USB-C soldering joints.
Yes it’s the KLP, the date production is January 2023. The panel looks much better than the first version from 2016. The ports look sturdy.
I removed the stand since I didn’t like the design and build quality. Replaced with a vesa arm. I may say it looks much better!

Attachments

• IMG_9860_jpg.jpeg
    IMG_9860_jpg.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: AnakChan

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
Picked up a Studio Display to compare with the LG. In dark room the difference is massive..

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0145.jpeg
    IMG_0145.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 239

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Hello Guys,

I ordered the LG Ultrafine 5K with article number 27MD5KL-B. Today the store I bought it from contacted me saying that particular model is out of stock and they have a newer version in stock which is the 27MD5KLP-B.

Does anyone know what's the difference?!
I've found a manual pdf for KLP and I see that both models listed in it - KL and KLP. I couldn't find any other differences with the older version. Also there're no reviews of the new model yet. I guess it's a technical upgrade like newer TB chip (TB4 instead of TB3), maybe a bit different matrix panel and this is it.

Actually I'd like to be able to connect UltraFine via USB-C and get 5K without fancy TB cards. Afaik ASD can be connected that way.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
My LG UltraFine 5K monitors don't look like that. Seems that your monitor is defective. I'd contact LG...
It’s not defective, it’s perfect and the panel looks absolutely beautiful but the studio display has a glass in front of the display which I think reduces a lot the amount of glares around the edges and the overall viewing angle. I have seen them one next to the other so I can tell the differences.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
Hey, you do you.

For anyone else reading this, that pink hue in the four corners is not normal. I had the same issue with both of my older LG UltraFine 5K monitors years ago. I contacted LG, and they sent me two brand new monitors which did not have that issue.
I know what you are talking about but it’s not this issue. I had the first version of the LG 5k and it did have pink hues in the corners and they were very visible even when the monitor was showing normal content. LG fixed all the problems here I can see. Here it is a totally different story. In my photo is very much accentuate. It’s just the backlight of the screen when the panel displays a total black scene in a totally dark environment. Try it on yours, take a picture, and you’ll see.

ralphthemagi

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Yes it’s the KLP, the date production is January 2023. The panel looks much better than the first version from 2016. The ports look sturdy.
I removed the stand since I didn’t like the design and build quality. Replaced with a vesa arm. I may say it looks much better!
The issue isn't with how sturdy it feels, it's the thermal design. The display supports USB-C PD but it was not designed for it. I can't speak to the new P variant, but the problem with all the previous models is that connector gets very hot when actually delivering power over USB-C. Over time the USB-C connection just separates from the PCB, I suspect just from the strain of the thermal expansion and contraction. And because of where and how it's positioned you can't easily repair it. They don't sell a replacement USB-C connection itself, and even if they did it's like 50/50 that you can actually replace the pads and connector successfully. And they don't offer a 1:1 logic board replacement. Even if you are an authorized LG reseller, all they will do is sell you a random model board from a random country that is technically compatible for $650. I have tried twice to get replacement logic boards and both times gotten ancient Gen 1 boards that suffer from the wifi interference issues and don't support DP Alt Mode over USB-C. This is just my experience, but it seems to be echo'd by others I've talked to. I'm trying to keep my current fleet of these alive by making sure my laptops always have their own power. I also put USB-C extensions on each plug to try to minimize the amount of mechanical wear and stress on that entire area to the absolute minimum. Seems to be helping, as I haven't had a failure since I changed how I use these about 18 months ago.

I'm actually pretty interested to find out what, if anything, has actually changed with the new variant. Where did you find this new P variant out in the wild? All I can find is the L-B and LB-B variants, and oddly the LB-B is cheaper most places right now at $1,099. The only difference between the L-B and LB-B is the latter is only available through "business channels" and comes with w 3-year warranty instead of a 1-year.

Last edited:

gadgetfreak98

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2009
Just completed it. Seemed to go fine. Had you “unplug the cable” and replug it at the end to ensure USB connected devices work properly. No idea what it does.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Using LG Screen Manager from the App Store.
Before (3.04,1.13,5237,3.04,0.1e)
Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 4.13.24 PM.png

After (3.10,1.13,5237,3.05,0.1e)
Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 4.11.58 PM.png

rb24

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2017
Cool. The main point being LG Screen Manager is an app in the App Store. Didn't have it.

Pretty sure still not scrolling at 120Hz...

Dinozero

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Yes.

I have, unfortunately, seen this multiple times. The display is dying. The pads on the USB-C connector are starting to separate. The issue is intermittent (and very odd) at first, but eventually it won't turn on at all anymore. It's usually better after the display has been powered off for a while. As the connector goes through thermal cycles the issues gets worse and worse. The only solution is to try and have someone repair it by desoldering and resoldering the connector. It is a delicate operation and the odds of it working are about 50/50. I have had two fail like this and neither were recoverable. This video actually explains the issue:

All Ultrafine 5Ks will fail in this way given enough use and enough time. Some earlier than others. The best way I've found to extend life is NEVER let the display charge a device. Always power your device separately. Powering the device over USB-C causes excessive heat on the connector. USB-PD should really be disabled on these displays all together.

How can I use this display and make it so that it's not powering my MacBook Pro when connected? Can anyone help with that?

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I do not se the update and my screen manager software does not even indicate what Firmware software that is installed? The space under "monitor software version" is blank?

can one manually download the firmware?

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
I do not se the update and my screen manager software does not even indicate what Firmware software that is installed? The space under "monitor software version" is blank?

can one manually download the firmware?
Mine came up after waiting a while - a bit longer than I would have expected - about a full minute

Dinozero

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Thank you for the help. Man. Not sure I really want to invest that kinda cash just to keep it from charging my Mac.

I am a light user of this monitor. It's not something I'll even use everyday. The MacBook would only be plugged in while actively using. When I'm not using it I'll keep the MacBook unplugged.

So.. I got another question for the forum. I had used a 2019 version of this monitor for a bit, and that's when I realized I liked it and wanted one. I now have one that was manufactured in June of 2023. Same model number tho.

But I swear this new one is brighter/better looking somehow. I wish I could see them side by side to know if my mind is playing tricks with me. But I thought this group would know.

Am I crazy or is this one made in June of this year really a better display? Looks more like the Apple Studio Display did to me than the older LG 2019 model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.