Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
I do not se the update and my screen manager software does not even indicate what Firmware software that is installed? The space under "monitor software version" is blank?

can one manually download the firmware?
it was solved by a restart. I am now installing the firmware (27% Completed)

Last edited:

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Thank you for the help. Man. Not sure I really want to invest that kinda cash just to keep it from charging my Mac.

I am a light user of this monitor. It's not something I'll even use everyday. The MacBook would only be plugged in while actively using. When I'm not using it I'll keep the MacBook unplugged.

So.. I got another question for the forum. I had used a 2019 version of this monitor for a bit, and that's when I realized I liked it and wanted one. I now have one that was manufactured in June of 2023. Same model number tho.

But I swear this new one is brighter/better looking somehow. I wish I could see them side by side to know if my mind is playing tricks with me. But I thought this group would know.

Am I crazy or is this one made in June of this year really a better display? Looks more like the Apple Studio Display did to me than the older LG 2019 model.
Are you sure that your 2023 UltraFine is not P-version?

Dinozero

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Are you sure that your 2023 UltraFine is not P-version?

That's the odd part. The model number is the exact same. Are they still manufacturing both models as late as June 2023?

I am 99.9% sure this model is getting brighter than the previous 2019 I used.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
That's the odd part. The model number is the exact same. Are they still manufacturing both models as late as June 2023?

I am 99.9% sure this model is getting brighter than the previous 2019 I used.
There's a P-version made in June 2023 in this thread.

Dinozero

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
There's a P-version made in June 2023 in this thread.

I just double checked my date it was made in May 2023. But there is a guy in this thread that says his P version was made in Jan 2023.

Surely if they were making new monitors in January that were better they would all be better by May.

It looks like to me the P version is only available overseas. The current US model is still the same name it's almost aways been.

upstream8721

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
The issue isn't with how sturdy it feels, it's the thermal design. The display supports USB-C PD but it was not designed for it. I can't speak to the new P variant, but the problem with all the previous models is that connector gets very hot when actually delivering power over USB-C. Over time the USB-C connection just separates from the PCB, I suspect just from the strain of the thermal expansion and contraction. And because of where and how it's positioned you can't easily repair it. They don't sell a replacement USB-C connection itself, and even if they did it's like 50/50 that you can actually replace the pads and connector successfully. And they don't offer a 1:1 logic board replacement. Even if you are an authorized LG reseller, all they will do is sell you a random model board from a random country that is technically compatible for $650. I have tried twice to get replacement logic boards and both times gotten ancient Gen 1 boards that suffer from the wifi interference issues and don't support DP Alt Mode over USB-C. This is just my experience, but it seems to be echo'd by others I've talked to. I'm trying to keep my current fleet of these alive by making sure my laptops always have their own power. I also put USB-C extensions on each plug to try to minimize the amount of mechanical wear and stress on that entire area to the absolute minimum. Seems to be helping, as I haven't had a failure since I changed how I use these about 18 months ago.

I'm actually pretty interested to find out what, if anything, has actually changed with the new variant. Where did you find this new P variant out in the wild? All I can find is the L-B and LB-B variants, and oddly the LB-B is cheaper most places right now at $1,099. The only difference between the L-B and LB-B is the latter is only available through "business channels" and comes with w 3-year warranty instead of a 1-year.
I just bought a "new/open box" LB-B which I should get in next week. I plan to take some precautions to minimize wear on the USB-C port. Aside from not using PD over the monitor's thunderbolt port, is it worth avoiding the use of an active thunderbolt cable as this might introduce more heat? I would be interested in what type of USB-C extensions you are using. That should help reduce wear on the port, but I don't want to get a cheap cable that might makes things worse by introducing more heat.

This will be my first thunderbolt 3 device, and I'm learning the different cable specifications. If I use a short (passive) male-to-female usb-c extension cable that is rated for 40Gbps along with the 2m active cable that ships with the monitor, will that give me the best chance of reducing both heat and mechanical wear?

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
The new P-version is available from LG UK direct - https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/uhd-4k-5k/27md5klp-b/ . Plenty of specs and datasheets available here too, but it is still quite unclear what has actually changed.
The price is interesting. There are coupons and more which take it to around 950 GBP, which is a substantial savings over the Studio Display (over 400 GBP, with the edu discounted basic version of the Studio Display).
The frame is of course uglier, but assuming that the P-version bridges the gap from a purely display point of view, it is a a solid alternative to the Studio Display. The more so if it gets any discount on Black Friday, and the Studio Display price remains the same.

Dinozero

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
The new P-version is available from LG UK direct - https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/uhd-4k-5k/27md5klp-b/ . Plenty of specs and datasheets available here too, but it is still quite unclear what has actually changed.
The price is interesting. There are coupons and more which take it to around 950 GBP, which is a substantial savings over the Studio Display (over 400 GBP, with the edu discounted basic version of the Studio Display).
The frame is of course uglier, but assuming that the P-version bridges the gap from a purely display point of view, it is a a solid alternative to the Studio Display. The more so if it gets any discount on Black Friday, and the Studio Display price remains the same.

This is very intriguing. But why would LG only sell an updated model in the UK?

There is somebody in this forum, that claims to have a model manufactured in January of this year that is the P.

I just purchased one that arrived last week manufactured in May of this year.

In the US. It is not a P version, but it is noticeably, obviously, superior to the 2019 I had as soon as I turned it on the first time it was obvious.

It does still have quite a bit of backlight bleed though.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
I have no idea, but the P model is all over Europe, here's the German link for example https://www.lg.com/de/monitore/lg-27md5klp-b

And is readily available too. Usually Ultrafines were difficult to find or purchase in Europe, especially from 2020 onwards.

As for backlight bleed, it depends on whether it is noticeable in daily use and within IPS panel standards. I guess some of it is due to the now-ancient construction. But it remains that the Ultrafine 5K is by a margin the cheapest 5K monitor one can buy in the UK and probably in several other European countries at present; the only other two properly distributed alternatives are the Studio Display and the Samsung S9, both of which are some 4-500 pounds more expensive.

Dinozero

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I have no idea, but the P model is all over Europe, here's the German link for example https://www.lg.com/de/monitore/lg-27md5klp-b

And is readily available too. Usually Ultrafines were difficult to find or purchase in Europe, especially from 2020 onwards.

As for backlight bleed, it depends on whether it is noticeable in daily use and within IPS panel standards. I guess some of it is due to the now-ancient construction. But it remains that the Ultrafine 5K is by a margin the cheapest 5K monitor one can buy in the UK and probably in several other European countries at present; the only other two properly distributed alternatives are the Studio Display and the Samsung S9, both of which are some 4-500 pounds more expensive.

Yes I agree. It’s not noticeable in daily use and I do feel it’s within the standards I’ve seen on other IPS panels. Unfortunately it is more pronounced in one corner than the rest so it’s not exactly even. But I am happy.

Right now this display in the US is 600-$700 cheaper than apples. There’s no comparison.

And “build quality” isn’t even something you notice using a monitor in a dark room. When I’m usually using my computer at home. All I see is screen.

I’m impressed with it. Only issue I seem to be having is I’m not so sure the automatically adjust brightness feature is doing anything

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
It looks like there might be similar issues here, but I'm trying to figure out if it's my monitor or my laptop.

I have a 2016 15" MBP (first touchbar model) and the original 5k display. Earlier this year, the display started shutting off intermittently, the USB ports would stop transmitting signal and the speakers wouldn't put out sound. Then for a while it was fine, but now it's worse. I even get some crazy screens like the picture attached.

I don't have another laptop to test out, so I'm not sure if something is going on my laptop or if the monitor is on its way out. I was planning on getting another laptop whenever the M3 14" MBP comes out, but I was hoping not to buy another monitor. Seems like I might have to now...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 1.58.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 1.58.33 PM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 62

After2k

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
I got the new P version, but i have some (LOL) issues:
- there is no brightness slider in the display settings and the keyboard can't control brightness,
- i can't set it as main monitor
- speakers dont work/aren't recognized.
- microphone doesn't work/isnt recognized.
- webcam doesn't work/isnt recognized.
- LG update app is blank, the update button is greyed out, and there is no firmware number

I have it plugged to an M1 macbook air running sonoma with the thunderbolt cable that came in the box

It's as if my mac is missing the appropriate drivers.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
I got the new P version, but i have some (LOL) issues:
- there is no brightness slider in the display settings and the keyboard can't control brightness,
- i can't set it as main monitor
- speakers dont work/aren't recognized.
- microphone doesn't work/isnt recognized.
- webcam doesn't work/isnt recognized.
- LG update app is blank, the update button is greyed out, and there is no firmware number

I have it plugged to an M1 macbook air running sonoma with the thunderbolt cable that came in the box

It's as if my mac is missing the appropriate drivers.
This is remarkable, hope you manage to get it working in the end, maybe through power cycling both. Please post us impressions of the panel, uniformity and more if you eventually manage to get it working.

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
Anybody has the update files for the firmware ?
The easiest way is to download LG Screen Manager from the Apple Store and then run that - it takes a little while before it tells you if there is an update available for your model - and if there is you simply click update.

After2k

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
No i have it running for 24 hours now, still no updates or info on my display, hence the question
The easiest way is to download LG Screen Manager from the Apple Store and then run that - it takes a little while before it tells you if there is an update available for your model - and if there is you simply click update.

Also, the colors appear quite warmer than my macbook air, but again, maybe it's cause it's not recognized, and the proper color profile isn't applied, dunno

Last edited:

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
Oh! By running a little while I meant a good proportion of a minute - not 24 hours. I assume you selected your display in the dialogue and all that so I am afraid that I don't know what else to suggest.

After2k

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
i'll try the best TB cable i can get my hands on, as i heard of bad QC on some stock ones resulting in weird shenanigans between the screen and the mac

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
That comment reminds me that I have found that mine runs better with a shorter cable than the long one that came with the monitor.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
No i have it running for 24 hours now, still no updates or info on my display, hence the question

Also, the colors appear quite warmer than my macbook air, but again, maybe it's cause it's not recognized, and the proper color profile isn't applied, dunno
The Ultrafine, once working properly, should be able to apply True Tone, so you should have more or less the same colour temperature. Hope you get it sorted in the end!

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
how does it run better exactly ?
This was a couple of years ago before I had updated the firmware - it felt more responsive rather than lagging at times and doing occasional strange things. Whether or not it was the cable or other issues I don't know. The long cable was all wrapped around itself due to its sheer length and might have had some interference. Whatever the cause my spare shorter cable that came with a Samsung SSD seemed to help things behave better and so I have had no inclination to go back.

After2k

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
Also, just noticed that he USB hub is dead, does nothing, no power delivery, no data, is that bad news ? hardware issue ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.