Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah this is what I heard through rumours.

Pixel 2 (smaller one) will likely be very similar and built by HTC.

Pixel XL 2 will basically be a Pixel V30 with a different camera set up (single, not dual lens) and no headphone jack.

That would be sweet, and an instant slam dunk for the XL2 if it was based off the v30. I just noticed the bezels are even smaller than the G6, very nice. Sign me up for the XL2.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Tell you what, I don't think a P-OLED screen, 2 extra GB ram, a bigger screen, and 835 processor justify going with the LG V30 over the LG G6.

Anyways, I am also a hypocrite because I also want to go with the iPhone 8 instead of the LG G6 if the device has an effective FaceID feature and also offers a bleeding edge experience. But then again, the LG G6 is plenty bleeding edge since it offers IP67 water resistance, 4GB RAM, QHD 18:9 LCD panel, USB Type C quick charge 3.0, wireless charging (quad dac in some regions instead), 821 processor, Android 7.0 nougat, etc without breaking the bank.

Reactions: MRU

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I held off buying the G6 because it lacked that hifi dac! And, that’s the reason I’ll get the V30!

Gotta have that hi res audio!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I held off buying the G6 because it lacked that hifi dac! And, that’s the reason I’ll get the V30!

Gotta have that hi res audio!

P-OLED display, 835 processor, better facial detection, 2 extra GBs of RAM to boot as well. No 32gb memory base either.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
You already have the HiFi dac with the v20. Not sure I would go with the v30.
That's how I'm feeling at the moment. I've used the V20 for about 4 months, that's longer than normal for me lol. I usually swap phones because there's always some cool to try out. The V20 is built like a tank, I dropped it 4 times on concrete one (fun) night. The V30 looks like it could be fragile.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
My first time checking out this thread. Holy smokes -- the V30 looks GORGEOUS. I didn't realize that LG could pull such a design off. DITTO to the posters that said "if this is how the Pixel 2 XL will look, sign me up!"

Will definitely be keeping my eye on this phone. The high quality DAC is a biggie for me.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Won't this phone use the underpowered Snapdragon 835? That is so old now. This will fail.
Looks like the Note 8 and Pixel 2 will also be using the 835. Probably have to wait until 2018 for the next gen processor.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Won't this phone use the underpowered Snapdragon 835? That is so old now. This will fail.

Already have one, Sony ZX premium. In a word, excellent.
[doublepost=1502821243][/doublepost]
My first time checking out this thread. Holy smokes -- the V30 looks GORGEOUS. I didn't realize that LG could pull such a design off. DITTO to the posters that said "if this is how the Pixel 2 XL will look, sign me up!"

Will definitely be keeping my eye on this phone. The high quality DAC is a biggie for me.

Design is one thing which stops some people, namely the Sony I mentioned. Otherwise a winner.

Reactions: v0lume4

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Stunning! Trounces the Note 8 just on the non curved sides, and hopefully it doesn't have an idiotic aspect ratio. Now just get rid of the LG UI and go stock android and you've got a winner.

Sorry to disappoint but it does have the same 18:9 ratio as the LG G6 and it has UX 6.0+ (a small enhancement on the G6 uX 6.0) .... :(

However .. personally speaking.

I suspect by the time the Pixel 2 XL is released, the V30 will be €500 or less on sites like eGlobal. (given the V20 is only €320, and G6 €380) .. So i suspect if the Pixel 2 XL is €900+ and released yet again only in a few countries meaning I would have to import anyway, then I will likely just get the V30 instead myself. I don't mind LG's skin at all and UX 6.0+ looks like it has some nice extras.

lg-v30-leak-press.jpg

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Really wish LG would add a display button on the right side of their phones. Pressing in on the FPS is not a good solution imho. I know they have knock knock but personally not a fan of that feature. Personal preference has always been a wake/lock display button on the right side of phones.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Really wish LG would add a display button on the right side of their phones. Pressing in on the FPS is not a good solution imho. I know they have knock knock but personally not a fan of that feature. Personal preference has always been a wake/lock display button on the right side of phones.

But double tapping on the screen surely is just / if not quicker and more practical than a dedicated button to wake the device, especially if device is on a table or such ?

Being left handed, I like that the G6 for example has no buttons on the right side of the device. :)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
But double tapping on the screen surely is just / if not quicker and more practical than a dedicated button to wake the device, especially if device is on a table or such ?

Being left handed, I like that the G6 for example has no buttons on the right side of the device. :)
yeah...i know it works for most....but as stated it is just my personal preference. I am not sure I want to knock on my phone while it is laying flat on the table to tbh. Unless the phone is very flat it will rock and tilt. I don't think the G6 was very flat in that regard.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
yeah...i know it works for most....but as stated it is just my personal preference. I am not sure I want to knock on my phone while it is laying flat on the table to tbh. Unless the phone is very flat it will rock and tilt. I don't think the G6 was very flat in that regard.

Yeah G6 is actually flat for doing that (no wobble at all). Demo of it here on mine

However the V30 may have 2.5d so a slight curve, meaning it could wobble.

Reactions: jamezr

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Personally I think this is the nicest looking phone coming out at the moment, nice and clean, with the fingerprint sensor in the right place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.