Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Personally I think this is the nicest looking phone coming out at the moment, nice and clean, with the fingerprint sensor in the right place.

Agree.

There's a lot to be said for keeping things simple and elegant.

Again, I believe the Pixel XL 2017 is basically going to be this phone except with Google's own camera (and likely $200 on top lol).

The Note 8 could be great but the V30 may well be similar at a far less expensive pricepoint.

Reactions: jamezr

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Stunning! Trounces the Note 8 just on the non curved sides, and hopefully it doesn't have an idiotic aspect ratio. Now just get rid of the LG UI and go stock android and you've got a winner.

LG's skin is my biggest hesitation. I find it way too cartoonish, almost garish. Sammy has come such a long way in that area. Their skin looks the sharpest out of everyone else's, quite frankly. Even stock.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Agree.

Again, I believe the Pixel XL 2017 is basically going to be this phone except with Google's own camera (and likely $200 on top lol).

The Note 8 could be great but the V30 may well be similar at a far less expensive pricepoint.
So agree about the FPS and how great the V30 looks!

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
LG's skin is my biggest hesitation. I find it way too cartoonish, almost garish. Sammy has come such a long way in that area. Their skin looks the sharpest out of everyone else's, quite frankly. Even stock.

I haven't used an LG for a little while now. Had a G3 and G4 - they were OK but did lag horribly after a while, even with Nova.

I thought they stripped back a lot of the excess bloat recently?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Um, wow...

LG’s V30 looks a little bit awesome

DHY1PiDXkAMN7vf.jpg

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I haven't used an LG for a little while now. Had a G3 and G4 - they were OK but did lag horribly after a while, even with Nova.

I thought they stripped back a lot of the excess bloat recently?

It's not so much a bloat thing for me as purely aesthetics. I find their UI ugly as hell.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Agree.

Google's own camera? You mean the one made by Sony?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Sorry to disappoint but it does have the same 18:9 ratio as the LG G6 and it has UX 6.0+ (a small enhancement on the G6 uX 6.0) .... :(

However .. personally speaking.

I suspect by the time the Pixel 2 XL is released, the V30 will be €500 or less on sites like eGlobal. (given the V20 is only €320, and G6 €380) .. So i suspect if the Pixel 2 XL is €900+ and released yet again only in a few countries meaning I would have to import anyway, then I will likely just get the V30 instead myself. I don't mind LG's skin at all and UX 6.0+ looks like it has some nice extras.

lg-v30-leak-press.jpg

Well at least 18:9 is better than 18.5:9. But if the XL2 winds up having tiny bezels then that will be the phone to beat IMO. Still the v30 is extremely nice and I still have a hard time trying to figure out how Samsung does better than them in sales, I suppose much of it is marketing muscle.
[doublepost=1503024626][/doublepost]

I like Touchwiz a lot as well, and have for the past 3-4 iterations. But I can't stand waiting for 8+ months on the next OS update, and that's my main gripe with any non vanilla phone. I don't think LG is much better than Samsung when it comes to that either. Oreo is out in what, a week or 2? I'm probably in the minority, but I just can't stand driving off the lot with an expensive flagship still using last years OS.

Reactions: Fernandez21

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Well at least 18:9 is better than 18.5:9. But if the XL2 winds up having tiny bezels then that will be the phone to beat IMO. Still the v30 is extremely nice and I still have a hard time trying to figure out how Samsung does better than them in sales, I suppose much of it is marketing muscle.
[doublepost=1503024626][/doublepost]

I like Touchwiz a lot as well, and have for the past 3-4 iterations. But I can't stand waiting for 8+ months on the next OS update, and that's my main gripe with any non vanilla phone. I don't think LG is much better than Samsung when it comes to that either. Oreo is out in what, a week or 2? I'm probably in the minority, but I just can't stand driving off the lot with an expensive flagship still using last years OS.
The weird thing is how different the ratio on the V30 looks. I mean it's almost the same as that of the Note 8 yet by comparison it pretty much looks like 16:9. I guess it's just that tiny bit of side bezel + the flatter screen that does it. The Note 8/S8 et al do look technically very impressive and cool but as a real device to own and use I'm much more called by the V30.

size-comparison-final5.JPG.jpg

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The weird thing is how different the ratio on the V30 looks. I mean it's almost the same as that of the Note 8 yet by comparison it pretty much looks like 16:9. I guess it's just that tiny bit of side bezel + the flatter screen that does it. The Note 8/S8 et al do look technically very impressive and cool but as a real device to own and use I'm much more called by the V30.

size-comparison-final5.JPG.jpg

Yeah that's the first thing I noticed, that it looks like 16:9. I agree it's the non curved screen in combination with the slightly wider 18:9 format, the iPhone seems that way also. Man that picture reminds me of why I'm definitely getting the iPhone 8, they seem to have leapfrogged any other android or Samsung phone with their bezel setup.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah that's the first thing I noticed, that it looks like 16:9. I agree it's the non curved screen in combination with the slightly wider 18:9 format, the iPhone seems that way also. Man that picture reminds me of why I'm definitely getting the iPhone 8, they seem to have leapfrogged any other android or Samsung phone with their bezel setup.
i am hesitant about the display and overall size of the IP8. I mean at 5.8 inches...how much display area will we lose to the function bar? Most seem to agree that the actual useable display will shrink to about 5.5 to 5.3.
But that V30 looks very tempting to me! I have the Eseential phone on pre order. But if it does not pan out then i will def get the V30.

Reactions: epicrayban

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Google's own camera? You mean the one made by Sony?

Sony make the camera module.

Google tune it, create the software, decide how to implement it with the Snapdragon ISP etc etc so yes, it is overall Google's camera.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Google tune it, create the software, decide how to implement it with the Snapdragon ISP etc etc so yes, it is overall Google's camera.
Don't forget the algorithm used in post processing is the best in the business right now.

Reactions: epicrayban

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Don't forget the algorithm used in post processing is the best in the business right now.

Tbh that's what I am most excited about - these camera modules are all at a decent level and have been for a couple of years.

It's down to the software to unlock the potential which Google did (arguably) better than anyone last year. If they can crank it up, awesome.

Also heard LG is starting to use "crystal clear" elements within their lens - not just the lens cover, the actual components (like a DSLR).

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/08/09/lg-v30-camera-f16/

That could be an actual physical advancement - one which makes a different. Otherwise, it's down to the Snap ISP and how clever the manufacturer can be implementing the software!

Interesting Google aren't going dual lens, by the looks of it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
What the hell did I miss? Now there's a V30 Plus model. o_O

So rumors are saying ... the V30 will lack wireless charging, possibly lack of DAC, and 64GB storage. While the Plus model will have 128GB, and wireless charging. V30 $700 - V30 Plus close to $900.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

So rumors are saying ... the V30 will lack wireless charging, possibly lack of DAC, and 64GB storage. While the Plus model will have 128GB, and wireless charging. V30 $700 - V30 Plus close to $900.

But that is for South Korea only - we won't get it but we will be able to use it to form complaints.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

The plus model will simply have 128gb as standard.

Quad Dac, Wireless Charging and 64gb will be standard otherwise.

The plus model will be available in Korea and possibly but not for certain Taiwan & Hong Kong.

The biggest question is will the V30 be readily available worldwide as previous V10 & V20 had extremely (Googlesque) availability ....

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
i am hesitant about the display and overall size of the IP8. I mean at 5.8 inches...how much display area will we lose to the function bar? Most seem to agree that the actual useable display will shrink to about 5.5 to 5.3.
But that V30 looks very tempting to me! I have the Eseential phone on pre order. But if it does not pan out then i will def get the V30.

The function bar is my main hesitation, but would Apple really be that incredibly stupid to make the function bar permanent? Strong rumors are already surfacing that the function bar goes away and is more software based, so I'm hopeful that's the case. My gut feeling is we will get the entire 5.8" of screen, but I guess we'll see in a month or 2.

Reactions: Oohara and jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The plus model will simply have 128gb as standard.

Quad Dac, Wireless Charging and 64gb will be standard otherwise.

The plus model will be available in Korea and possibly but not for certain Taiwan & Hong Kong.

The biggest question is will the V30 be readily available worldwide as previous V10 & V20 had extremely (Googlesque) availability ....

You sure about the wireless charging?

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

Google made the software, not the hardware. It's Sony's camera. Otherwise, everyone would say the KEYone has Google's camera when it doesn't. Every tech blog reviewer has said it has the same camera that's in the Pixel and then they say it's a Sony camera.

Please stop giving Google credit for hardware they didn't make. I get so tired of hearing people say stuff like this. Like it's Google's Pixel phone when HTC made it. Google doesn't create or make everything with their name on it. Yes it's a great setup, I'm not saying it isn't.

I'll give an example of how much the tech industry and fan boys are stupid. The new Pixel might have the Edge Sense technology which was came out in the HTC U11. This new pixel will be made by LG. In several tech blogs I'm reading lately, headlines read that Apple is copying Android because the newest iPhone 8 will have small bezels. First, not every Android handset has small bezels so how is Apple copying Android? But nobody mentions how Google is copying anyone by having LG made the new Pixel with the edge sense technology. So by that same line of thinking, Google is copying Android now?

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Google made the software, not the hardware. It's Sony's camera. Otherwise, everyone would say the KEYone has Google's camera when it doesn't. Every tech blog reviewer has said it has the same camera that's in the Pixel and then they say it's a Sony camera.

Please stop giving Google credit for hardware they didn't make. I get so tired of hearing people say stuff like this. Like it's Google's Pixel phone when HTC made it. Google doesn't create or make everything with their name on it. Yes it's a great setup, I'm not saying it isn't.

I'll give an example of how much the tech industry and fan boys are stupid. The new Pixel might have the Edge Sense technology which was came out in the HTC U11. This new pixel will be made by LG. In several tech blogs I'm reading lately, headlines read that Apple is copying Android because the newest iPhone 8 will have small bezels. First, not every Android handset has small bezels so how is Apple copying Android? But nobody mentions how Google is copying anyone by having LG made the new Pixel with the edge sense technology. So by that same line of thinking, Google is copying Android now?
Surely you get that LG is an Android phone maker and said to be building the XL model......so where is Google copying LG when LG is making the phone? Maybe LG bundled it into the package to make the XL2.
Then surely you can imagine a company giving a manufacturer design and build specs on a product? For example Apple doesn't own the manufacturing companies that build their phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.