Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I'm a new home owner and have never looked into home automation products before. My initial preference is towards Apple products since i'm an Apple user since 1998 so i looked into HomeKit and HomeKit compatible devices. BUT information on compatible devices is scattered and difficult to find and even more difficult to know for sure if it is in-fact a HomeKit approved device. Example: Kwikset Kevo Smart Door Lock. I thought it was HomeKit approved with all the third party information on it, but it is not. Which brings up another point. There's much more third party information than first party and of course it's not as reliable and accurate. I prefer to stick with Home Kit approved devices (unless its for something basic like a water leak detector) due to higher encryption standards. Even the Apple website is lacking of information and devices supported. So i figured i'd make a list of first party device listings (no third party or Amazon Associate links for accuracy) here that can be updated by myself or mods. Please help contribute too!

Lighting and Switches
  • Nanoleaf Matter Essentials Lightstrip (Thread)
  • Philips Hue
  • Lutron Caseta Wireless
  • Leviton - Decora Smart line, no hub required. 2nd Generation for some devices.
  • iDevices Switch - Indoor and Outdoor
  • Koogeek Wi-Fi Bulb
  • Sylvania SMART+ Bulb - Website has not been updated but products are available on Amazon
  • Belkin Wemo switches - Apple Home hub required for remote functions
  • LIFX bulbs (eg A19 multi-color) connects directly to Homekit via wifi.
  • Meross - Low cost smart switches, standard, 3-ways, and dimmers sold on Amazon. Direct connection to wifi and full HomeKit functionality without a hub. Apple Home hub required for remote access.
  • TUO Smart Button - Matter + Thread compatible smart switch / button. Requires a Thread Border Router. Comes with stickers, magnetic wall plate, single press / double press / long press.
Electrical Outlets
Locks & Deadbolts
  • Yale Assure Lock 2 - Uses BLE or Wifi depending on model. Wifi model required for remote functionality.
  • Level Bolt - Completely hidden and looks like a "dumb" lock. Components hidden inside existing deadbolt mechanism. Uses BLE technology, so an Apple Home hub is required for remote functionality.
  • August Smart Lock - Depending on HomeKit compatible model, uses BLE and Wifi, or BLE and a Wifi hub.
  • Schlage Sense - Uses BLE technology, so an Apple Home hub is required for remote functionality.
  • Schlage Encode Plus - "Plus" version required for HomeKit. Connects to Wifi directly.
  • Kwikset Premis - Touch screen smart lock. Uses BLE and requires a HomePod or Apple TV as a hub.
  • Nuki - Smart Lock (Pro) for EU & Swiss door standards. Homekit enabled. Version 4.0 supports Matter.
Doorbell
Security/Camera - Caveat here is if it works with HomeKit or if it actually works with HomeKit Secure Video (HKSV or HSV)
  • Aqara G2H Camera Hub - HomeKit Secure Video. Also acts as a hub for other Aqara devices
  • Arlo Ultra - Certain models require Arlo Hub for HomeKit. Does not support HKSV
  • Eufy - only certain products are HomeKit compatible. HKSV is unknown.
  • Eve - Homekit / Matter. Outdoor and Indoor versions. Works with HKSV.
  • Logitech Circle View - Works with HKSV. Does not require a seperate app for software updates or additional features.
  • Onvis - HomeKit IP Camera C3 (HKSV enabled)
  • Netatmo Smart Outdoor Camera - with floodlight and optional siren. Works with HKSV.
  • Nest Cam - Owned by Google and not HomeKit compatible, requires use Nest app and/or Google Home app. However, the Starling hub seamlessly integrates all Nest products into HomeKit and Apple Home app. HKSV depends on camera model and Nest Aware subscription.
Thermostats
Fans
Window and Door Sensors (Contact Sensors) - You can get very creative with these. Refrigerator door open? Junk food cabinet breached?
  • Aqara - new Door & Window sensor P2 works with Matter/Thread. Big CR123 battery. Doesn't require Aqara Hub anymore.
  • Onvis - Contact Sensor CT3 (Matter/Thread, HomeKit)
  • Eve - Thread enabled. Advertised as "HomeKit Over Thread".
  • Fibaro Door/Window Sensor - Monitors the opening of doors, windows, gates and the ambient temperature.
  • Meross - Low cost devices sold on Amazon. Direct connection to wifi (via Meross hub device) and full HomeKit functionality without a Home hub. Apple Home hub required for remote access.
  • TUO Contact Sensor with Matter & Thread Support - Monitors the state of doors and windows with Matter over Thread. Can be paired with Apple Home, Google Home, Alexa and Samsung SmartThings.
Garage Door Controllers
  • Meross - two variations sold on Amazon. One model for a single door opener, and another model that controls up to three door openers. Direct connection to wifi and full HomeKit functionality without a hub. Apple Home hub required for remote access. No subscription.
Shades
Air Conditioning
Smoke/CO/Air Quality/Weather/Leak Detector and Monitor or Sensor
Apps
OBSOLETE
Apple's List of Compatible Devices

Last edited:

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Very nice list. If you flip on the "Wiki" option, it will allow others to also edit your post.
Thanks Arn. Are you talking about the tab near the top between "Mark Forums Read" and "History"? I looked all over and still can't find it. Perhaps you should sticky that post or this post here in the HomeKit and Home Automation forum. I wouldn't look for deli meats in the cereal section.

Basically anything if you run HomeBridge on a server. Ironically my HomeBridge gear running via unofficial plugins for Logitech and Wemo is more stable than my official Philips Hue bridge.
These are consumer level products that anyone can setup. I wouldn't have any clue on what to do with HomeBridge

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
These are consumer level products that anyone can setup. I wouldn't have any clue on what to do with HomeBridge

There are step by step instructions on how to install HomeBridge, its not rocket science, its the same way you install any software.

If you think HomeBridge is complicated, don't ever buy SmartThings, which is a consumer level product with far more depth and difficulty. Though without SmartThings you're very limited to what you can do with HomeKit alone - HomeKit literally just is a way to get Siri to work, it does little else. SmartThings is a full home automation system where you can do ANYTHING right down to the most granular detail your mind can think of. I make sure everything works with both SmartThings and HomeKit. SmartThings handles all the "if i'm not at home and its past 6pm make sure this happens" type things along with other scenes and modes and HomeKit just lets me turn the TV/Xbox/Plex on or off, change channels, put the blinds up and down, turn the heated blanket on and off etc where searching for buttons might take a bit longer (though often doesn't, on the whole HomeKit/Siri is a bit of a novelty really, something that looks cool rather than is actually useful)

Finally SmartThings and some HomeKit apps have started tracking iBeacons which is the best way for micro-location tracking, when you enter a room, or even a space such as sit at a desk - then X,Y,Z should happen and when you leave the space turn these things off, for instance. iBeacons are very cheap on eBay so its a fun and easy thing to play around with.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
There are step by step instructions on how to install HomeBridge, its not rocket science, its the same way you install any software.

If you think HomeBridge is complicated, don't ever buy SmartThings, which is a consumer level product with far more depth and difficulty. Though without SmartThings you're very limited to what you can do with HomeKit alone - HomeKit literally just is a way to get Siri to work, it does little else. SmartThings is a full home automation system where you can do ANYTHING right down to the most granular detail your mind can think of. I make sure everything works with both SmartThings and HomeKit. SmartThings handles all the "if i'm not at home and its past 6pm make sure this happens" type things along with other scenes and modes and HomeKit just lets me turn the TV/Xbox/Plex on or off, change channels, put the blinds up and down, turn the heated blanket on and off etc where searching for buttons might take a bit longer (though often doesn't, on the whole HomeKit/Siri is a bit of a novelty really, something that looks cool rather than is actually useful)

Finally SmartThings and some HomeKit apps have started tracking iBeacons which is the best way for micro-location tracking, when you enter a room, or even a space such as sit at a desk - then X,Y,Z should happen and when you leave the space turn these things off, for instance. iBeacons are very cheap on eBay so its a fun and easy thing to play around with.

Here's a comparison according to their sites:
HomeBridge
Note: If you're running on Linux, you'll need to make sure you have the libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev package installed. If you're running on a Raspberry Pi, you should have a look at the Wiki.
Homebridge is published through NPM and should be installed "globally" by typing:

sudo npm install -g homebridge

Now you should be able to run Homebridge:

$ homebridge
No plugins found. See the README for information on installing plugins.

Homebridge will complain if you don't have any Plugins installed, since it will essentially be useless, although you can still "pair" with it. See the next section "Installing Plugins" for more info.

Once you've installed a Plugin or two, you can run Homebridge again:

$ homebridge
Couldn't find a config.json file [snip]

However, Homebridge won't do anything until you've created a config.json file containing your accessories and/or platforms. You can start by copying and modifying the included config-sample.json file which includes declarations for some example accessories and platforms. Each Plugin will have its own expected configuration; the documentation for Plugins should give you some real-world examples for that plugin.

NOTE: Your config.json file MUST live in your home directory inside .homebridge. The full error message will contain the exact path where your config is expected to be found.

REALLY IMPORTANT: You must use a "plain text" editor to create or modify config.json. Do NOT use apps like TextEdit on Mac or Wordpad on Windows; these apps will corrupt the formatting of the file in hard-to-debug ways. I suggest using the free Atom text editor.

Once you've added your config file, you should be able to run Homebridge again:

$ homebridge
Loaded plugin: homebridge-lockitron
Registering accessory 'Lockitron'
---
Loaded config.json with 1 accessories and 0 platforms.
---
Loading 0 platforms...
Loading 1 accessories...
[Back Door] Initializing Lockitron accessory...

Homebridge is now ready to receive commands from iOS.
And much more... https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge
Or
SmartThings
One App + One Hub + All Your Things

Reactions: bruinsrme

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Here's a comparison according to their sites:

Or

Thats the HomeBridge instructions for running a headless Raspberry PI. All it requires is installation of NodeJS on OS X (one line in terminal) and then you just "NPM Installed -g HomeBridge' and its installed.

Your believing of SmartThings marketing shows you've never used it - trust me its the least user unfriendly platform out there - sure there's ONE mobile app, but to get anything to work you need to add SmartApps within that App and there are a handful of SmartApps available out the box that are largely useless, to install things like RuleMachine (which does simple stuff you'd think would be there when you first open the app like "turn on this light if its after 8pm and I enter to room" you have to log into the IDE online, create a custom app type and manually copy and paste the hand written code in, for multiple apps and device types. Real user friendly! Thats before we begin to note that location tracking and scheduling is often broken on SmartThings.

Unfortunately smart home stuff isnt' ready for the "consumer" market at the minute, it isn't primetime and it takes a lot of manual coding and fiddling. As someone who's set up both HomeBridge and SmartThings I can tell you now, adding devices to HomeBridge and having Siri control them is a lot easier than having SmartThings do anything. But if you want a smart home and you're not a geek and you really think you can get "plug and play" with these things at the minute you've very much mistaken, it takes tinkering, knowledge and the dedication to want to jump through hoops to get things working well.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
How does smart things compare in complexity to an ISY? Also is smart things compatible with HomeKit or do you have to use homebridge?

Last edited:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
How does smart things compare in complexity to an ISY? Also is smart things compatible with HomeKit or do you have to use homebridge?

You have to use Homebridge - though I only share two SmartThings only devices with HomeKit (two sockets) there is no need to share sensors with HomeKit as it doesn't' do anything with them anyway - Siri is only useful for doing things (turn on/off, set A/B) all the SmartThings sensors work within SmartThings to trigger stuff - and anything you buy that is HomeKit compatible (Philips Hue for example) works with SmartThings - in fact most or less everything works with SmartThings as its an open platform. Can't compare to ISY though, never used.
[doublepost=1453156040][/doublepost]
Does anyone know if there's a UK Smart Plug or Power Strip (Extension Lead) that's HomeKit Compatible? Thanks!

Nothing that doesn't' require HomeBridge to integrate nope.

Reactions: nevjets

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Thats the HomeBridge instructions for running a headless Raspberry PI. All it requires is installation of NodeJS on OS X (one line in terminal) and then you just "NPM Installed -g HomeBridge' and its installed.

Your believing of SmartThings marketing shows you've never used it - trust me its the least user unfriendly platform out there - sure there's ONE mobile app, but to get anything to work you need to add SmartApps within that App and there are a handful of SmartApps available out the box that are largely useless, to install things like RuleMachine (which does simple stuff you'd think would be there when you first open the app like "turn on this light if its after 8pm and I enter to room" you have to log into the IDE online, create a custom app type and manually copy and paste the hand written code in, for multiple apps and device types. Real user friendly! Thats before we begin to note that location tracking and scheduling is often broken on SmartThings.

Unfortunately smart home stuff isnt' ready for the "consumer" market at the minute, it isn't primetime and it takes a lot of manual coding and fiddling. As someone who's set up both HomeBridge and SmartThings I can tell you now, adding devices to HomeBridge and having Siri control them is a lot easier than having SmartThings do anything. But if you want a smart home and you're not a geek and you really think you can get "plug and play" with these things at the minute you've very much mistaken, it takes tinkering, knowledge and the dedication to want to jump through hoops to get things working well.
Both HomeBridge and SmartThings do not look easy to set up. This is a thread for HomeKit...

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009

Can you please expand on how to set up homebridge on OS X ? I want to try this with a wemolug I have laying around

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Can you please expand on how to set up homebridge on OS X ? I want to try this with a wemolug I have laying around

Its probably best to jump over the github, the guy that wants to add smart home to devices to his home has decided most smart home devices are too complicated for him.
[doublepost=1453332929][/doublepost]
Both HomeBridge and SmartThings do not look easy to set up. This is a thread for HomeKit...

And I think its very valuable that for anyone who wish to use HomeKit devices into their smarthome that they can add almost anything and even launch applescript and URLs from OS X via HomeBridge. It would be a crime to hide these things from people with the appropriate level of intelligence to set up as it makes HomeKit useful as opposed to DOA (thats dead on arrival) like it is at stock now.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
And I think its very valuable that for anyone who wish to use HomeKit devices into their smarthome that they can add almost anything and even launch applescript and URLs from OS X via HomeBridge. It would be a crime to hide these things from people with the appropriate level of intelligence to set up as it makes HomeKit useful as opposed to DOA (thats dead on arrival) like it is at stock now.

He's not asking you to hide it. Go create a separate thread for it. This is a wiki thread for HomeKit compatible devices. The only crime being committed here is threadjacking.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
He's not asking you to hide it. Go create a separate thread for it. This is a wiki thread for HomeKit compatible devices. The only crime being committed here is threadjacking.

Threadjacking by directly under all the licensed HomeKit devices pointing out how its possible to add almost any unofficial HomeKit device to list - probably the most useful reply here for anyone looking to be fair.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Threadjacking by directly under all the licensed HomeKit devices pointing out how its possible to add almost any unofficial HomeKit device to list - probably the most useful reply here for anyone looking to be fair.
I second this, it seems like this should be added to this wiki IMO.

Reactions: dannys1

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
the guy that wants to add smart home to devices to his home has decided most smart home devices are too complicated for him.
And what's wrong with adding easy to set up devices to making living more simple, automated, and more affordable? Or are you just trolling with your comment?

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
Been looking into home bridge some more and found this install guide for Homebridge on OSX with a nest. Im going to try this next weekend with Wemo

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
And what's wrong with adding easy to set up devices to making living more simple, automated, and more affordable? Or are you just trolling with your comment?

Because if you want "easy to use" for actual automation, you're going to have to waste a decade, and HomeKit isn't going to give you that, all its going to let you do is control via Siri and if you're lucky pick up an app that ties together some very simple (and often useless) triggers.

Hey knock yourself out, but you're restricting yourself massively, like saying the only apps you're going to use from the OS X app store or something (actually worse and more limiting)

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
My opinion:

HomeBridge should definitely be mentioned but with a disclaimer that it is unofficial. Apple could theoretically make it stop working in a future update so we should be clear on this to be fair to users that look to this list for official HomeKit compatible hardware.

Any other HomeBridge topics should linked to another thread, which would be better because then we could focus on HomeKit here and elsewhere HomeBridge.

Reactions: Tilpots

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Been looking into home bridge some more and found this install guide for Homebridge on OSX with a nest. Im going to try this next weekend with Wemo

Wemo works a treat with it, its so quick with 6s that as soon as i've said the last "t" in "Turn on my Heated Blanket" the thing is on! :p
[doublepost=1453810185][/doublepost]
My opinion:

HomeBridge should definitely be mentioned but with a disclaimer that it is unofficial. Apple could theoretically make it stop working in a future update so we should be clear on this to be fair to users that look to this list for official HomeKit compatible hardware.

Any other HomeBridge topics should linked to another thread, which would be better because then we could focus on HomeKit here and elsewhere HomeBridge.

Makes perfect sense to me.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
Let's hope it can get to work

Wemo works a treat with it, its so quick with 6s that as soon as i've said the last "t" in "Turn on my Heated Blanket" the thing is on! :p
[doublepost=1453810185][/doublepost]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.