Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Is there a more detailed list of eSIM providers somewhere? I know Apple lists the carriers but outside of that, it lacks any useful information like if they offer post-paid or pre-paid on eSIM, if it's provisioned via app or if you have to call or obtain an eSIM card like on EE.

EDIT: Doesn't look like there is a real list out there so perhaps this can be turned into a Wiki. Let's keep quick availability info on the main post but feel free to link to a more detailed post. Just want to keep it clean and information easy to find.

DATA ONLY ESIM PROVIDERS OFFERING GLOBAL SERVICES: Speeds usually limted to 4G at this time. Ubigi, HolaFly, Nomad, Airalo. esimdb gives aggregated information on providers & plans.

AUSTRAILIA: Prepaid eSIM offered by Optus.

China 3: Pre-Paid "DIY" SIM for travelers

Colombia

Movistar: Pre-paid and postpaid customers eSim support page

Croatia
Hrvatski telekom (Croatian Telecom) - Postpaid only - eSIM support page - Online activation with QR code in email.

Estonia

Powered by Topconnect.com on Telia network:
- Air Baltic Card - airbalticcard.com (prices in Euros)
- Travel SIM - travelsim.com (prices in US Dollars)
They both provide prepaid data plans as well as Estonian phone numbers with +372 country code with no monthly fee.

Germany

Telekom: Post-paid and pre-paid eSIM officially supported. NOTE: ID required to begin service regardless of eSIM or physical SIM. Additional information here and here.

Philippines

Globe: Post-paid eSIM only, no pre-paid support. You must visit one of the stores listed to set up.

Smart: Pre-paid eSIM in partnership w/ Airalo.

Switzerland

Swisscom: Post-Paid and Prepaid. Prepaid QR Voucher available at every Swisscom Shop - ID/Passport required for registration (Swiss LAW)
Sunrise: Only Post-Paid.

UK

EE:
Post-paid eSIM only for New and Existing contract/post-pay customers - EE eSIM support - No PAYG/pre-paid eSIM

O2: New and Existing contract/postpay customers - not PAYG/prepay - O2 eSIM FAQs

Vodafone: New and Existing customers - Vodafone eSIM support - order and activate online with QR code

Three: New and Existing contracts, Three eSIM support - in store only for now - see this post

eSIM.net: an O2 MVNO that allows eSIM on PAYG https://www.esim.net/

USA

T-Mobile: Available on all post-paid plans. Pre-paid eSIM available via the T-Mobile eSIM app.

Verizon: Post-Paid & Pre-Paid eSIM available for all customers. Existing customers can log into their account or contact CS to switch to eSIM. New customers can sign up via the MyVerizon app.

AT&T: Post-paid eSIM only. See the AT&T eSIM Support page for more info.

Cricket (AT&T subsidiary/flanker brand): eSIM supported on iPhone XR/XS and later, can be converted from physical SIM or transferred through Settings.

Mint Mobile: Available on all pre-paid plans with compatible device.

Visible: Prepaid service that uses Verizon‘s network. Only one plan available (unlimited everything for as low as $25 per month) and eSIM can only be done through their app.

Google Fi: Prepaid service run by Google. On iPhones, it only uses T-Mobile's network (As on March 2021, no 5G on iPhone 12s). Visual Voicemail is not supported (have to use the Fi app), Wi-Fi calling is not supported. eSIM is done by scanning a QR code (provided after you set up an account).

US Mobile: Pre-Paid Verizon (Super LTE only) MVNO has started offering eSIM on all plans. Super LTE has 5G service, unsure about the TMO/LTE but eSIM is not yet available for the TMO service. (If it isn't against the rules to post this, here is my referral link for up to $10 off when you sign up for new service.)

Xfinity Mobile: Post Paid only and must be an Xfinity subscriber. https://www.xfinity.com/hub/mobile/how-to-switch-with-esim?pc=1

Spectrum Mobile: post-paid only and must be a Spectrum subscriber. Only available on iPhones with other device support "coming soon." https://www.spectrum.net/support/mobile/spectrum-mobile-esim-activation

Last edited:

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008

Thanks but this isn't really what I was describing. I'm not sure you read my whole post.

The Apple link doesn't contain much more than the providers as I stated in my OP nor does it actually list all the providers now. The eSIM thread isn't comprehensive and is really just links to a few providers. I am looking for or looking to collectively build (& update as changes arise) an at-a-glance guide to eSIM providers around the globe similar to my examples above.

Last edited:

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
USA:

AT&T Postpaid
- buy blue eSIM card for $5 and activate via Chat/Online
- Provide ICCID number from blue eSIM card
- Once activated, add cellular plan and scan QR code
- Keep blue eSIM card - can be reinstalled after phone wipe or phone swap

AT&T Prepaid (potentially not officially supported)
- Buy physical SIM in store and activate
- Buy blue eSIM card for $5
- Create online account with PIN
- Call or chat and ask for "Update SIM card on account"
- Provide ICCID number from blue eSIM card
- Once activated, add cellular plan and scan QR code
- Keep blue eSIM card - can be reinstalled after phone wipe or phone swap

Germany

Telekom
- Officially supported for postpaid and prepaid
- Physical SIM needed first (for new customer: in store, international passport and German address required)
- Setup online customer account in online portal
- Request via chat switch to eSIM
- Within 24 hours one-time use QR code will be provided in online portal
- Add cellular plan, scan QR code from screen
- Swap is free of charge ; for new phone or reinstall a new request in customer portal online chat is required

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Wow, such convoluted mess. Why do we want this instead of simply putting a physical SIM inside a phone?

I fail to see the logic of eSIM. Unless Apple becomes the provider hosting all the carrier options so user can directly choose carriers via Apple, I don’t see the point of eSIM.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Wow, such convoluted mess. Why do we want this instead of simply putting a physical SIM inside a phone?

I fail to see the logic of eSIM. Unless Apple becomes the provider hosting all the carrier options so user can directly choose carriers via Apple, I don’t see the point of eSIM.

After the one time setup:

- I have the low cost T-Mobile plan domestic and international
- On the second eSIM line I have prepaid AT&T for areas with no T-Mobile coverage
- When I travel to Europe, I turn on the Telekom eSIM line and use it for local data in all of the EU

- I don't have to remove the case
- I don't have to change physical SIM and risk losing it e.g. in an airplane or at airport (have done that before)

It is as easy as flipping a switch in the settings (takes only a few seconds) and turn on data for this plan. I do it when I board the airplane or when I land. It's much easier than the 3 SIM's I had to have before to achieve the same.

Actually, when I travelled I had two phones. My current one so I can be reached under my main number and my old unlocked phone with the local SIM for data. Now I only have to carry one phone.

On the other side, if you don't like what the OP is asking for, than you could just move on ... We do understand that not everyone travels internationally and domestic and doesn't have a large use for it.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015

The real object is to remove the SIM card altogether and allow the user to dictate what carrier they use and not allow the carrier to dictate that.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The real object is to remove the SIM card altogether and allow the user to dictate what carrier they use and not allow the carrier to dictate that.
Do you really think that would happen? Look at AT&T locking eSIM. Remember the days of CDMA phones completely carrier controlled without a SIM slot? Yeah that’s where you want to go back to? :shrug:

The only thing that makes sense for eSIM is if Apple becomes the middleman, giving the list of carriers user want to activate on. Without that, carriers can do whatever they want and there’s nothing you can do about it.
[doublepost=1550110792][/doublepost]
Thanks but this isn't really what I was describing. I'm not sure you read my whole post.

The Apple link doesn't contain much more than the providers as I stated in my OP nor does it actually list all the providers now. The eSIM thread isn't comprehensive and is really just links to a few providers. I am looking for or looking to collectively build (& update as changes arise) an at-a-glance guide to eSIM providers around the globe similar to my examples above.
Just to add

Singapore
M1: postpaid only

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006

I think that's the plan sort of like the Apple SIM in iPads. People buy the phone unattached to a carrier, and during the setup of the phone they can choose their carrier and the phone will install an eSIM over the air. Apple SIM never made it to iPhone, but that idea has sort of been usurped by the rewritable eSIM anyway.

This is sort of how the original iPhone was activated over 10 years ago, and how iPads have pretty much always worked (especially since the Apple SIM).

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I think that's the plan sort of like the Apple SIM in iPads. People buy the phone unattached to a carrier, and during the setup of the phone they can choose their carrier and the phone will install an eSIM over the air. Apple SIM never made it to iPhone, but that idea has sort of been usurped by the rewritable eSIM anyway.

This is sort of how the original iPhone was activated over 10 years ago, and how iPads have pretty much always worked (especially since the Apple SIM).
That sounded great, until carriers like AT&T locking eSIMs. So imagine if the phone has no SIM slot at all, you just suddenly have a locked phone out of the blue. How’s that good for consumers? Just like the old CDMA phones, no physical SIM, all carrier controlled. But I guess that’s what people wanted.

eSIM can only work if Apple literally put themselves as the middle man, so carriers cannot just lock the eSIM willy nilly. But we know that’s impossible.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
That sounded great, until carriers like AT&T locking eSIMs. So imagine if the phone has no SIM slot at all, you just suddenly have a locked phone out of the blue. How’s that good for consumers? Just like the old CDMA phones, no physical SIM, all carrier controlled. But I guess that’s what people wanted.

eSIM can only work if Apple literally put themselves as the middle man, so carriers cannot just lock the eSIM willy nilly. But we know that’s impossible.

If you buy the phone without a financing agreement then the eSIM is not locked, correct?

It's no surprise that a phone under a financing agreement would have the eSIM locked, it's no different than a regular SIM in that regard.

Reactions: DmPsTrFyR

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If you buy the phone without a financing agreement then the eSIM is not locked, correct?

It's no surprise that a phone under a financing agreement would have the eSIM locked, it's no different than a regular SIM in that regard.
AT&T is locking iPads (which are always sold unlocked) eSIM.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011

Because plenty of people would like the convenience of having two Sim cards for their phone without having to constantly find a paperclip to eject and swap Sims.

Reactions: gotong

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Doesn’t matter where you bought your iPad. Even if you bought one from Apple, once you connect to at&t through the eSIM, the eSIM will be locked to at&t. That’s what carriers can do with eSIM. Do you still want that? Not me.

What you're describing is illegal if the consumer doesn't owe AT&T anything. I think what you are thinking of is that AT&T was locking out the the Apple SIMs that were in iPads previously. If you activated it and then wanted to use it on another carrier, as you're supposed to be able to do, it wouldn't allow you to. You'd have to go and get a new SIM from the other carrier or a new Apple SIM.

They caught a lot of bad PR about it but it wasn't illegal or in violation of the terms of the class action lawsuit they lost since the SIM was still replaceable.

If AT&T did lock an eSIM phone, as long as you didn't owe them any financing on it, they would be obliged to unlock it. It's a worry because they are shady AF but they have not done what you are proposing. They would be in a lot of trouble w/ the FCC if they started locking eSIM devices that people didn't owe them money on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock#United_States

Last edited:
Reactions: OBirder

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Moved my contract number over to the phone and then bought a pay as you go sim to go in my phone as my business number. So far so good!

EE uk

Reactions: Azzin

pdxsellers

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2016
AT&T Prepaid - Walked into corporate location and was able to activate eSIM on my XS Max. Took maybe 5 minutes total to get it setup.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010

Flexibility, mostly. With the A2104, you are limited to two physical SIM.

With the A1921, you can have one physical SIM and several eSIM for a variety of circumstances. Maybe a plan just for data in the EU, another plan for data in Hong Kong, a plan that is your business number, and a plan that is your private number.

In my case my wonderful cheap T-Mobile plan is an eSIM, and I have XFinity Mobile (Verizon MVNO) as physical SIM for those rare times Verizon might be better than T-Mobile.

I considered carrying an A2104, but the A1921 provides so much more flexibility when traveling. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.