Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Hi all,

So I read all these raving reviews about Logitech MX Master 3S mouse, so I decided to purchase one. I did not notice any lag or stutter when using the mouse and hovering the screen. Only when I scroll up and down in any window like a webpage it is nowhere near that smooth as using the built-in trackpad on a Macbook (M1). I used it without and with the latest Logitech Options+ software. I even enabled Smooth scrolling but it's just jerky. When using it under Windows it's smooth as butter. It's the same performance connected with bluetooth or the USB dongle.

I even had a wired cheap Logitech Mouse and a G502 which I plugged into my Macbook and both work perfect and the scrolling is smooth.

Does the Logitech MX Master 3S just fails at this point under Mac? It has all the permissions and I'm on the latest Mac OS Monterey 12.5.

I cannot believe not one review mentions this.

What is your experience and are there good alternatives?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I use a little app called Smoove. Makes mouse wheel scrolling buttery smooth and gives it some kinetic momentum (customizable) like a trackpad.
I think your problem is that Logitech software for macOS just sucks.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
I use a little app called Smoove. Makes mouse wheel scrolling buttery smooth and gives it some kinetic momentum (customizable) like a trackpad.
I think your problem is that Logitech software for macOS just sucks.
Yeah I think the software sucks. The G502 or even an old cheap Logitech M500 were smooth like the built in trackpad.
Does Smoove solve this issue? Where do I find this app?

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I see what you are saying, it isn't an issue for me I guess as I am using my MBP in clamshell most of the time and even when its open I usually use the MXM3.

The closest experience to the tracpad that I can create is to turn "smooth scrolling" on and also hit the button next to your mouse wheel to that it moves freely versus the normal click by click motion. When I did this scrolling seemed much smoother.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
I see what you are saying, it isn't an issue for me I guess as I am using my MBP in clamshell most of the time and even when its open I usually use the MXM3.

The closest experience to the tracpad that I can create is to turn "smooth scrolling" on and also hit the button next to your mouse wheel to that it moves freely versus the normal click by click motion. When I did this scrolling seemed much smoother.
Yep. Exactly. I wonder if a wireless G502 would provide the trackpad smoothness experience? It does when I use a wired one.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just checked their website and the animation they are showing is exactly what is happening with the Logitech MX Master 3S. Are you using this with a Logitech MX Master series mouse and does it indeed make it smooth like the advertised animation aka trackpad smoothness?
I was using it with a Logitech G703. I removed it when I installed my MX 3S and LogiOptions+ (wanted to try it out).

There is a 7-day trial, so you can download it and see if it does what you want.

kToni73

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Germany
I've also ordered one. Used it with BT & Bolt with my USB-C Hub.
It worked fine, but when I would hyper-scroll and move the mouse simultaneously it would jitter/lag.
Ended up returning it .. shame though, the silent clicks were really awesome

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
I've also ordered one. Used it with BT & Bolt with my USB-C Hub.
It worked fine, but when I would hyper-scroll and move the mouse simultaneously it would jitter/lag.
Ended up returning it .. shame though, the silent clicks were really awesome
Yep returned it. The scrolling just does not work with M1. I used a cheap wired M500 and scrolling was as smooth as trackpad. The Mx even was smooth under Windows.

kToni73

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Germany
Yep returned it. The scrolling just does not work with M1. I used a cheap wired M500 and scrolling was as smooth as trackpad. The Mx even was smooth under Windows.
Oh yeah, the previous version of MX Master 3 was also great on my last windows machine. M1 is not making it easy at all

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
Thanks for making this post, I literally I upgraded from a m1 MacBook Air to a m1 MacBook Pro 14 for promotion and was dismayed to see how choppy the scrolling on the Logitech mx master 3s is, I've returned it after reading this post, what a let down :/

Reactions: kToni73 and t0rqx

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Thanks for making this post, I literally I upgraded from a m1 MacBook Air to a m1 MacBook Pro 14 for promotion and was dismayed to see how choppy the scrolling on the Logitech mx master 3s is, I've returned it after reading this post, what a let down :/
Yeah serious let down. Returning it was the best choice.

Reactions: chad.petree

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
So what options do we have now? Wait until apple releases an imac with promotion and a magic mouse 3 with it?
No options. Also buying a 3rd party app that not even fixes it 100% is ridicilous. I gave uo on an external mouse, but if I really needed one probably a wired G502. but it is not a MX3s.

• Sad
Reactions: chad.petree

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I like Logitech mice, but I've never used the Logitech control software.

Instead, I use either:
- SteerMouse
or
- USB Overdrive.

Both are "lightweight", and better...!

Reactions: icanhazmac

pinkkie

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2022
Yes, I suffer every day with my MX Master 3S. All buttons are fine except the garbage scroll wheel that's too soft and heavy and skips scrolls or doesn't even register any when I scroll too fast. This mouse has a serious hardware design flaw and very few people on the internet mention it.

WP31

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2020
Yes, I suffer every day with my MX Master 3S. All buttons are fine except the garbage scroll wheel that's too soft and heavy and skips scrolls or doesn't even register any when I scroll too fast. This mouse has a serious hardware design flaw and very few people on the internet mention it.

Holy cow yes - this. How do people deal with this? How do they like it? Am I taking crazy pills because everyone loves their MX3 but I can't deal with this.

Reactions: notmetoday
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.