Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stormybot

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
Thanks for these posts. I thought maybe it was just me. I just bought the Logitech MX Master 3S for Mac after reading and watching all the rave reviews. I wanted something more ergonomic than the Magic Mouse that I could easily use on my desktop (Intel Mac Mini), laptop (Macbook), and iPad Pro. Unfortunately, after being used to the buttery smooth scrolling of the Magic Mouse, watching the stuttering and less-precise scrolling on the MX Master was too much for me. I wanted to love it, but I just couldn't get past that.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Yeah I bought one too. Basically any 3rd party mouse I had to use a 3rd party driver too for scrolling. Installed MOS from the suggestions of others here in MacRumors concerning 3rd party mice scrolling. But I didn't like the ergonomics of the MX Master 3s. It's too bulgy at the apex for my girly hands. It's like 1/8" taller than the 2s model I use at work. WHich I really like using. But they made the 3s and the 3 before way too tall for me. So now I'm just using a gaming mouse as my main mouse with magic track pad on the left side for track pad gestures and what not. Otherwise it seemed to be a great mouse for mac once you installed the MOS software.

Stormybot

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2004
I installed the Logitech Options+, and there was a setting for smooth scrolling. It was better, but not perfect. I liked that I could configure the forward and back buttons for switching desktops, which was convenient since I just Magic Mouse gestures for that all the time.

Since I wanted to use it with my iPad Pro, too, I played with that after pairing it. However, the Magic Mouse is just an overall better experience there. With the MX, I couldn't configure any other buttons for some reason without turning on AssistiveTouch, which isn't something I wanted on all the time.

Logitech MX Master 3S for Mac is a nice and oh-so-close thing to being perfect. If there were a version (Pro?) of the Magic Mouse that was more ergonomic, I don't think I would even have considered an alternative.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I gave up on the Masters (I had a 2s and a 3(s?) and they were both terrible in Windows and Mac. Just went with my trusty G502 and G604. Work great on both Windows and Mac.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I gave up on the Masters (I had a 2s and a 3(s?) and they were both terrible in Windows and Mac. Just went with my trusty G502 and G604. Work great on both Windows and Mac.
I have an MX Master 3S and I've found it to be just too big to be comfortable. But I've recently discovered the Microsoft bluetooth ergonomic mouse. Fits my hand so much better. It's quite comfortable to use. Supports pairing to three devices (if that's important to you) and runs on two standard AAA batteries.

No bluetooth issues whatsoever on my MBP M1 Pro. Tracking and movement is very smooth unlike some other bluetooth mice. I use Smooze Pro as a mouse "driver" for smooth scrolling, button programming and adjusting tracking speed and it works like a charm.

The mouse wheel has a soft ratchet (though doesn't have a ratchet-free smooth mode for those who like that), but is solid and well lubricated, and doesn't rattle like my Logitech did.

And it's available in a few different colors, too. I went with basic black, but there's other options. Under $40.

Very, very happy with this mouse. In fact, I bought two more of the exact same one, so I've got one on my Mac, one on my WFH PC and one at the office.

kuznetsov.kd

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
Hey, guys. I had the same problems with scrolling and I almost fixed them all.
1) Install Logi Options+
1.1) Go to "Point and scroll" -> "Scroll wheel" and then:
Disable "Smooth scroll" - it's important!
Disable "SmartShift" and choose "Ratchet" option.

"Scroll Speed" depends on your filling between 0 and 25%. But it's for me, play with it after all.

2) Install "Mos" here https://mos.caldis.me/
Enable "Smooth Scrolling"
Go to "Advanced" and set:
Step: 10
Speed: 10
Duration: 1

It works for me. Try it.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2023
Both together is fine! Logi Options still gives you control over other elements, but Mos just smooths the annoying jittery scrolling without which I find the MX 3 pretty unusable. With Mos installed though it's the perfect mouse imo.

To all the people in this thread still saying theirs doesn't work and etc: try Mos! It's pretty rubbish to have to rely on third party software to make a £100 bit of kit work as expected, but the software is free and it really does work.
Can you provide me with your MOS configuration?

And what did you uncheck on logitech +?

THANK YOU

Dolphins1972

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017
I like Logitech mice, but I've never used the Logitech control software.

Instead, I use either:
- SteerMouse
or
- USB Overdrive.

Both are "lightweight", and better...!
+2 for SteerMouse. I prefer Razer mice over Logitech but quickly found out that MacOS updates, more often then not, corrupts peripheral software. Third party updates necessary to keep up with OS updates usually stop well short of the product's EOSL. I dropped Razer Synapse for SteerMouse for this very reason.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2023
+2 for SteerMouse. I prefer Razer mice over Logitech but quickly found out that MacOS updates, more often then not, corrupts peripheral software. Third party updates necessary to keep up with OS updates usually stop well short of the product's EOSL. I dropped Razer Synapse for SteerMouse for this very reason.
what's the solution? I don't think it's a software problem, but the error also occurs on my WINDOWS PC.

Dolphins1972

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017
what's the solution? I don't think it's a software problem, but the error also occurs on my WINDOWS PC.
As I said, "most" issues of this type are because of third party software/drivers which can be corrupted by OS updates whether Mac or Windows. I found it best to opt out of third party drivers.

Roitrunks

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2023
As I said, "most" issues of this type are because of third party software/drivers which can be corrupted by OS updates whether Mac or Windows. I found it best to opt out of third party drivers.
For mac, do you have any idea of third-party software that might interfere with mouse operation?

Dolphins1972

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017
For mac, do you have any idea of third-party software that might interfere with mouse operation?
I've had problems with Logitech drivers and Razer Synapse drivers in both Windows and MacOS. They work for a little while until there are no more updates available, then the issues start. Check Logitech community forums and you'll find a lot of angry posters.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
?? Working fine still today on an M1 MacBook Air for work and my home M2 MacBook Air.
Never mind, I was trying to install it through the installer.. it needs to be via Applications - bypass the security check :)

If done through installer it looks like this:
Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 11.52.09 am.png

Reactions: BearsFan34

ilsurgareev

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
It seems MOS is not compatible with the current MacOS version. Atleast thats what my iMac says
Same, but I solved the problem in a different way! Delete Logitech Option+. This really turned out to be the source of the problem, second install StreerMouse and you may change settings of the buttons etс

Last edited:
Reactions: kToni73

kToni73

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2021
Germany
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try it in the following days.

Funny how both of you just misspelled it 😂

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I tried the MX Master 3S when my MM stopped working and hated it. Couldn't get the software to run and the scrolling was awful. Returned it same day it arrived.

Reactions: kToni73

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I tried the MX Master 3S when my MM stopped working and hated it. Couldn't get the software to run and the scrolling was awful."

I've been using Logitech mice with my Macs for many years (decades?) now.
They've always worked just fine.

I have NEVER used the Logitech software.
Instead, I've used either "USB Overdrive" or these days, "SteerMouse".
No problems, works fine.

I haven't used an Apple pointing device (or keyboard) in decades.
(other than the built-in trackpads on MacBooks)

Last edited:

Romahaaa

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2021
I checked all the apps I could find to fix the scrolling issue and the best one is BetterMouse. Smooze Pro is also good, they both have almost same features, but BetterMouse price is 8$, while Smooze Pro is 20$.
All free app I checked are very limited.

UPDATE - BetterMouse is crap. Just wasted the money. The problem with that app is that scroll value isn't unified between different apps. For example in code editor, like Rider it scrolls well, but in Blender it's too sensitive. Same, for example in Unity - it's ok in regular game view, but in shader graph it's too sensitive again.

Testing SteerMouse currently. At least it doesn't have the mentioned issue

Last edited:

privateryanuk

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Southampton
Just moved back to Mac from Windows for my work machine (had to go through elevated approval process to get a Mac..).. wonderful to have Mac back, but my MX Master 3S was hideous with jerky scrolling.

Our machines are a bit locked down, so can't even install the logitech options software (probably for the best!). Was beginning to lose hope that I would ever get my 3S working comfortably; but MOS seems to be the panacea! I did suffer the 'can't be opened because can't be checked for malicious software' issue above - thought that would be stop me, but seems I was able to circumvent that by forcing the install via system prefs.

Anyway, TLDR; MOS has significantly improved scrolling smoothness! Thanks all for recommendations and insights!

R2000

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2024
Yeah afaik all 3rd party mouses are kinda janky with scrolling on macOS. I've had MX Master 3 for a while now, and I've tried most of the “mouse driver” apps to make the scrolling better, like Smooze, MOS, MacMouseFix, SteerMouse. But in the end, what I actually ended up preferring and find most reliable is Logitech Options+'s own smooth scrolling option. You can also play around with Logitech scrolling speed and macOS's scrolling speed, I'm not sure if they are mutually exclusive.

There's an offline version of the Logi Option+ software, that doesn't include the AI crap that they recently added, and other web-based features. There's an AI component that runs constantly in the background, can't be disabled, and it even added some weird folder to my Home folder.

Logi Options Offline Installer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.