Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I've been having trouble with my watch and iPhone keeping accurate Activity stats for close to six months now. I had posted about it a few months ago on MacRumors here. The issue sort of resolved itself after a couple of months, so I figured everything was fine.

Unfortunately, today, ALL of my Activity badges disappeared from my phone, and my Move streak has been reset to zero. (All of the badges were there last night, and nothing happened to my phone overnight that should have caused them simply vanish).

I know this is a first-world problem, but it's still so disappointing and defeating. My actual Move Streak is more than 2,000 days. I had earned dozens of the special and monthly badges going back to November 2016. And I was only two days away from collecting the 2,250 Move Goals badge.

I back up my iPhone automatically to iCloud, which I believe is supposed to preserve Health app stats and these silly badges. But I'm hesitant to restore to the most recent backup, as I fear it might simply erase whatever traces of the stats that might still be hidden on the phone itself. It's wishful thinking, but I keep hoping that the stats and badges will simply reappear.

😢

Last edited:
Reactions: madeirabhoy

bcalvanese

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2016
Did you try manually closing all the apps, and cycling power on both the watch and the phone?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I've been having trouble with my watch and iPhone keeping accurate Activity stats for close to six months now. I had posted about it a few months ago on MacRumors here. The issue sort of resolved itself after a couple of months, so I figured everything was fine.

Unfortunately, today, ALL of my Activity badges disappeared from my phone, and my Move streak has been reset to zero. (All of the badges were there last night, and nothing happened to my phone overnight that should have caused them simply vanish).

I know this is a first-world problem, but it's still so disappointing and defeating. My actual Move Streak is more than 2,000 days. I had earned dozens of the special and monthly badges going back to November 2016. And I was only two days away from collecting the 2,250 Move Goals badge.

I back up my iPhone automatically to iCloud, which I believe is supposed to preserve Health app stats and these silly badges. But I'm hesitant to restore to the most recent backup, as I fear it might simply erase whatever traces of the stats that might still be hidden on the phone itself. It's wishful thinking, but I keep hoping that the stats and badges will simply reappear.

😢
activity is stored to iCloud regardless of how you backup your phone, unless you specifically turn this off in iCloud settings. They might reappear.
Since this is a service Apple provides, I'd contact Apple support and report this.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Did you try manually closing all the apps, and cycling power on both the watch and the phone?
Yeah, I did those, but it didn't help. There are no badges at all -- not even the "incomplete" ones showing what I need to do to earn them.

activity is stored to iCloud regardless of how you backup your phone, unless you specifically turn this off in iCloud settings. They might reappear.
Since this is a service Apple provides, I'd contact Apple support and report this.
That's a good idea. Thanks -- I will give that a shot.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I was just looking at the Health app to see if I could pinpoint the problem. In the "Activity" section, under "Data Sources & Access," it lists eight different watches. I only own one Apple Watch. Could this strange list be a clue as to why I'm losing Activity history and badges?

1672978710095.png

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Everytime you pair/unpair a new or the same watch, one more of these entries will be created. Personally, that drives me nuts but that’s how it works
Yup, exactly this. Never delete one of these either as it will delete the data too, that’s at least my understanding and I will not be the Guinea pig to try it out :)

BlackBun

Suspended
Oct 20, 2020
Wokingham U.K.
I’ve had this and the extreme panic and anxiety. I believe, like my experience, they will reappear without you having to do anything.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Thanks for your replies and advice, @bricktop_at, @jz0309, @bcalvanese and @BlackBun.

I did some online research and learned that a way to differentiate your "current" watch from all of the ones in the list is to rename it (in the Watch app) to something other than the generic name. And voila! My badges are back and mostly correct.

Here's what I did:

1. Rename my watch in the Watch app. This alone, however, did not make the newly renamed watch show up on the Data Sources & Access list.

2. Restarted my watch and iPhone. Still, the newly renamed watch was not showing up on the Data Sources & Access list.

3. Recorded a new workout with Workout app. Checked the Data Sources list again, and still the newly renamed watch was not showing up.

4. Restarted my watch and iPhone a second time. PROGRESS! The newly renamed watch is now showing up on the Data Sources & Access list. However, it is the last entry on the list. So, I tapped "edit" and moved the newly renamed watch to the top of the list. (I did not delete any of the older entries, as I had read elsewhere what @jz0309 mentions above — that doing so will delete the data as well.) However, the badges were still missing.

5. Restarted my watch and iPhone a third time. SUCCESS (for the most part)! The badges have returned to both my watch and iPhone.

Unfortunately, they don't all have the correct information. For instance, the "New Move Record" and "New Exercise Record" are associated with workouts that I did last month. I know I've set personal records for Move and Exercise minutes that are significantly higher than those recorded in December. There might be other discrepancies as well.

But at least the badges are back!

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Thanks for YOUR replies and advice, @bricktop_at, @jz0309, @bcalvanese and @BlackBun.

I did some online research and learned that a way to differentiate your "current" watch from all of the ones in the list is to rename it (in the Watch app) to something other than the generic name. And voila! My badges are back and mostly correct.

Here's what I did:

1. Rename my watch in the Watch app. This alone, however, did not make the newly renamed watch show up on the Data Sources & Access list.

2. Restarted my watch and iPhone. Still, the newly renamed watch was not showing up on the Data Sources & Access list.

3. Recorded a new workout with Workout app. Checked the Data Sources list again, and still the newly renamed watch was not showing up.

4. Restarted my watch and iPhone a second time. PROGRESS! The newly renamed watch is now showing up on the Data Sources & Access list. However, it is the last entry on the list. So, I tapped "edit" and moved the newly renamed watch to the top of the list. (I did not delete any of the older entries, as I had read elsewhere what @jz0309 mentions above — that doing so will delete the data as well.) However, the badges were still missing.

5. Restarted my watch and iPhone a third time. SUCCESS (for the most part)! The badges have returned to both my watch and iPhone.

Unfortunately, they don't all have the correct information. For instance, the "New Move Record" and "New Exercise Record" are associated with workouts that I did last month. I know I've set personal records for Move and Exercise minutes that are significantly higher than those recorded in December. There might be other discrepancies as well.

Happy for you!

Reactions: japanime

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
Yup, exactly this. Never delete one of these either as it will delete the data too, that’s at least my understanding and I will not be the Guinea pig to try it out :)
It will also delete the associated data, yes. I‘ve tried that - fortunately with an entry that had almost no data linked to it.

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Been dealing with something similar on my series 3 for the past two days. Out of nowhere my daily move streak reset to 35 and my move goal awards became greyed out in the fitness app. Fast forward to today and my move goals luckily came back but my daily move streak is still buggy, showing 37 days with my current move streak at 212 days. Hopefully that too comes back to normal eventually.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Been dealing with something similar on my series 3 for the past two days. Out of nowhere my daily move streak reset to 35 and my move goal awards became greyed out in the fitness app. Fast forward to today and my move goals luckily came back but my daily move streak is still buggy, showing 37 days with my current move streak at 212 days. Hopefully that too comes back to normal eventually.
I've actually had the problem recur a few times. Currently I can't see my badges on my phone, but I can see them on my watch. And the move streak remains buggy. I've lost about 30 days off of my streak (which currently says 2,077 days but I know for certain it's longer than that).

I've kind of given up on expecting the streaks to be accurate and the badges to be visible, unfortunately.

Reactions: Coltaine

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
I've actually had the problem recur a few times. Currently I can't see my badges on my phone, but I can see them on my watch. And the move streak remains buggy. I've lost about 30 days off of my streak (which currently says 2,077 days but I know for certain it's longer than that).

I've kind of given up on expecting the streaks to be accurate and the badges to be visible, unfortunately.

Searching on the internet it seems like many others are experiencing the same. I figured it was my series 3 acting up being that its old and has stopped receiving watchOS updates.

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Interesting. I've had problems with activity tracking and the badges in the past, but they resolved without any intervention. Two days ago, March 18th, I've earned the 1250 move goals award. It shows up on my Apple Watch (even though I did not get a notification), but not on my iPhone, even though I have completed 1251 move goals by now. On the iPhone it says (in German) "You will be awarded this badge, once you have completed 1250 move goals. So far you have completed 1251." I have restarted the Apple Watch, the iPhone and the apps several times to no avail. Otherwise tracking and synching seems to be fine. Hopefully, this will resolve by itself over the next few days. But something seems to be amiss.

Thanks for the info about the data sources, I didn't know that. In the past, I have wondered several times, what would happen, if I deleted the old ones...

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I "solved" the problem by unpairing, deleting, repairing and restoring the Apple Watch from a backup...it did the job, but kind of a nerve-wrecking experience, because you never know, if you get all your data back.

TonyM42

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2015
Reading UK
Thanks for your replies and advice, @bricktop_at, @jz0309, @bcalvanese and @BlackBun.

Here's what I did:

Missing badges have been bugging me for weeks - until I found this...it worked - badges back - many thanks.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Missing badges have been bugging me for weeks - until I found this...it worked - badges back - many thanks.
Glad it worked for you!

Oddly enough, I just lost my ongoing "Longest Move Streak" record, which was at 2,180 days, because I took a trans-Pacific flight that took my workout data that I had completed on July 1 and shifted it all to July 2. The badge now says my current streak is "1 days." (In fact, I closed the Activity rings on July before I got onto the plane, as closed them all again on July 2 after arriving at my destination.

I'm hoping that it will fix itself in a few days, but this time I'm not too hopeful. Seems like the Activity app doesn't handle time zones very well.

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Glad it worked for you!

Oddly enough, I just lost my ongoing "Longest Move Streak" record, which was at 2,180 days, because I took a trans-Pacific flight that took my workout data that I had completed on July 1 and shifted it all to July 2. The badge now says my current streak is "1 days." (In fact, I closed the Activity rings on July before I got onto the plane, as closed them all again on July 2 after arriving at my destination.

I'm hoping that it will fix itself in a few days, but this time I'm not too hopeful. Seems like the Activity app doesn't handle time zones very well.
That really sucks!
It might only be a small thing for the general population, but for those of us diligently keeping track of those things, it's kinda devastating. I would be really gutted, if I lost my move streak due to time zone inconsistencies.
Cannot happen to me, though. Due to my general fear of flying and my lack of interest in traveling abroad, switching time zones is highly unlikely.
I will simply stay in my Central European Time Zone bubble. :)

Reactions: BillGates1969

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Glad it worked for you!

I've been a few times in Europe (from California) since owning an AW and never had an issue, but, going with the sun, leaving from CA to Asia, you're essentially "losing" a day (or so) but I'm wondering hoe it will adjust when you're back in your "normal timezone?
But yea, the longest move streak is the one badge I really care about and I'd hate losing it (I'm at 2,738 today).

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
That really sucks!
It might only be a small thing for the general population, but for those of us diligently keeping track of those things, it's kinda devastating. I would be really gutted, if I lost my move streak due to time zone inconsistencies.
Cannot happen to me, though. Due to my general fear of flying and my lack of interest in traveling abroad, switching time zones is highly unlikely.
I will simply stay in my Central European Time Zone bubble. :)
That's a pretty nice bubble in which to stay, with plenty of great countries easily visited without ever having to get onto a plane. 😊
I've been a few times in Europe (from California) since owning an AW and never had an issue, but, going with the sun, leaving from CA to Asia, you're essentially "losing" a day (or so) but I'm wondering hoe it will adjust when you're back in your "normal timezone?
But yea, the longest move streak is the one badge I really care about and I'd hate losing it (I'm at 2,738 today).
Yeah, it's very disappointing. And getting worse. Once again, my badges are now no longer visible on my iPhone. I'm sure I can get them to show up by following the steps I outlined in my earlier post. But I'm not sure I'll bother with it anymore.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
That's a pretty nice bubble in which to stay, with plenty of great countries easily visited without ever having to get onto a plane. 😊

Yeah, it's very disappointing. And getting worse. Once again, my badges are now no longer visible on my iPhone. I'm sure I can get them to show up by following the steps I outlined in my earlier post. But I'm not sure I'll bother with it anymore.
Sorry to hear, hopefully it will sort itself out as all the data is in iCloud …

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
A surprising and pleasant update. After more than a week of my Longest Streak Badge looking like it had permanently reset itself, today it began recognizing my ongoing streak once again. So, it went from "Your current streak is 11 days" (wrong!) to "Your current streak is "2,192 days" (correct!). 😊

japanime

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
ANOTHER SAD UPDATE: Today, my Longest Streak Badge reset itself again. Yesterday, my record stood at 2,199 days. Today, it stands at 35 days. I really hate this.

1689854367237.png
1689854387696.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.