Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I set up CarPlay on my Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX a couple of days ago. Played with it and haven't been listening to HD radio since. Really like the functionality and Siri works pretty well. It is snappy :cool: and I really believe it's a job well done by Apple. Haven't tried Android Auto so I can't compare but I'm pretty impressed.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
After paying $,$$$ for a stereo you may love it.

Why are those devices so expensive???

Any alternative that is in the $150-$300 range?

I guess I would prefer to have an iPad installed instead...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I set up CarPlay on my Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX a couple of days ago. Played with it and haven't been listening to HD radio since. Really like the functionality and Siri works pretty well. It is snappy :cool: and I really believe it's a job well done by Apple. Haven't tried Android Auto so I can't compare but I'm pretty impressed.

This is great. Too bad it takes so long for car manufactures to implement changes. I would (or WILL) love to see Car Play and Android Auto in most OEM systems.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
After paying $,$$$ for a stereo you may love it.

Why are those devices so expensive???

Any alternative that is in the $150-$300 range?

I guess I would prefer to have an iPad installed instead...

The Pioneer is very expensive, it's their highest end unit. I mean, there's a $200 difference between the 7000NEX and 8000NEX. Reason? Screen display is brighter and anti-glare. There's the AppRadio 3 you could get around ~$300. I don't think it's CarPlay capable though.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
The Pioneer is very expensive, it's their highest end unit. I mean, there's a $200 difference between the 7000NEX and 8000NEX. Reason? Screen display is brighter and anti-glare. There's the AppRadio 3 you could get around ~$300. I don't think it's CarPlay capable though.

No, they sell a new version AppRadio 4 that supports it for $600. Might be able to find it cheaper on Amazon.

PhilippLA

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
I just ordered the same system but would love to know if you can still use your iPhone while it is connected to Apple car play. Or is the iPhone completley locked down and unusable while it is connected?

Really hope that's not the case.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I just ordered the same system but would love to know if you can still use your iPhone while it is connected to Apple car play. Or is the iPhone completley locked down and unusable while it is connected?

Really hope that's not the case.

You can still use it. I keep my phone connected via USB to the head unit and connected via Bluetooth to receive phone calls. When plugged in though, the head unit "follows" the iPhone if you're using the phone. ie. Go to the phone app on iPhone while plugged into head unit, CarPlay version of the phone app will appear on the head unit as well, if that makes sense.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Hasn't this been in the '14 Civic for some time now?

It isn't Pioneer, but an OEM unit.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Hasn't this been in the '14 Civic for some time now?

It isn't Pioneer, but an OEM unit.

Right now you can buy a Ferrari FF (for the price of about 10 or 15 Civic's:eek:) or California with CarPlay but as of now that is it.;)

Last edited:

wav

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Does the 'Hey Siri' feature work while the phone is connected to CarPlay or do you have to use the touch screen to activate Siri?

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
does carplay only work when you plug it in? Or can some stuff work over BT? Wouldn't it be a downgrade?? My car at least can do BT calling and music...

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
i just can't get myself excited over this until its wireless...
I'd like to see this eventually as well. Upside is phone charges at the same time.
Does the 'Hey Siri' feature work while the phone is connected to CarPlay or do you have to use the touch screen to activate Siri?
I believe it does. Haven't tested it, only use the steering wheel button to activate Siri.
does carplay only work when you plug it in? Or can some stuff work over BT? Wouldn't it be a downgrade?? My car at least can do BT calling and music...

The NEX has Bluetooth audio capabilities so it can still take calls and play music via Bluetooth without using CarPlay. Unfortunately, CarPlay only works when plugged in.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
i just can't get myself excited over this until its wireless...

Apple could allow but with a continues BT connection it would eat the battery. Also batt could die while using Maps or on an emergency call. So there could be liability issues requiring it to be powered.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Pics of it installed?

Been looking for a new head unit for a minute now and I'm debating this or just going a cheaper route.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Apple could allow but with a continues BT connection it would eat the battery. Also batt could die while using Maps or on an emergency call. So there could be liability issues requiring it to be powered.

Battery drain is so minimal it's not an issue. I've been using a BT connection with my iPhone and Microsoft Sync since 2008. Sync blows but at this point in time it's still better than what CarPlay has to offer with it's forced wired connection. Missed opportunity from Apple as far as I'm concerned.

jhuynh

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Battery drain is so minimal it's not an issue. I've been using a BT connection with my iPhone and Microsoft Sync since 2008. Sync blows but at this point in time it's still better than what CarPlay has to offer with it's forced wired connection. Missed opportunity from Apple as far as I'm concerned.

Yes but CarPlay sends video not just audio. I think this would have a much higher impact on battery life as I'm sure sending video over the air would use much more bandwidth and battery than just audio. I would also assume one of the benefits to carplay is using the maps from your phone to get directions and the added GPS drain is also a factor.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

Not a comparison. For example when running Maps on CayPlay the iPhone is doing the full GPS mapping like it normally does (and this is a HUGE battery hit already) plus you are sending the full Maps data (video and audio) in real time over a full time continues radio (BT) connection (not just on/off bits of data). This would be a tremendous use of battery resources.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Question for Squilly, who did you have install it? You do it, or have someone else install it?

Best Buy Geek Squad. Expensive and amateurish but lifetime warranty on labor. I had a ton of stuff installed at once and there were some hiccups.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Best Buy Geek Squad. Expensive and amateurish but lifetime warranty on labor. I had a ton of stuff installed at once and there were some hiccups.

Ok, yeah BB is the only "authorized" Pioneer installer near me, and I'd sooner trust a wolf to guard a chicken coup then BB with something like this. But a lifetime warranty is pretty good.

ianmcuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Am loving my SPH-DA120 (aka AppRadio 4) also. A few quirks, but I'm getting used to it. What car/adapter gets you a Siri button? I used a kit to integrate with my 207's stalk controls and track skip/volume work great, but no dedicated Siri button sadly :-(

"Hey Siri" tries to work, but it's a bit problematic on my unit. It brings up the prompt on the display, but doesn't always give the beep and accept commands. It's also very difficult to trigger Siri from the touch screen - so the lack of a Siri button is quite a limiting factor in my setup.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.