Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Does Navigon work with car play? If it works I might replace my old Pioneer AVIC-D2 with one of their AppRadio 4 units....

Don't think so. CarPlay is only compatible with Apple Maps (for now). Still a worthwhile upgrade - it's a nice unit.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
Don't think so. CarPlay is only compatible with Apple Maps (for now). Still a worthwhile upgrade - it's a nice unit.

Thanks for your reply.

My current unit has GPS and App Radio doesn't.....I would have to rely on Apple or Google Maps. I want the maps stored on the device so I don't depend on an Internet connection..... Navigon is even better than the Pioneer GPS.

I guess I'll wait :)

Last edited:

DudetheObscure

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
Hey Siri has always been a little iffy on my App4 unit, but lately it is not recognizing it at all. Anyone else have this problem?

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
It appears that the CarPlay-enabled Pioneer AVH-4000NEX can go beyond SDHC & 32GB. It was tested to handle a 256GB PNY SDXC formatted in NTFS ($96). I wonder if this holds true to USB flash drives north of 32GB like the 256GB PNY USB 3 flash drive ($70).

http://parkroyk.blogspot.com/p/pioneer-avh-4000nex-review.html

Over 700 hours of FLAC or Apple Lossless. :)

Or

Over 2,200 hours of 256kbps AAC.

Last edited:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Question for Squilly, who did you have install it? You do it, or have someone else install it?

Unless you drive a Ferrari where the resale value plummets $40,000 if a non-Ferrari certified mechanic refills your windshield washer fluid, install it yourself. It's really easy to do and you can find instructions for your car if you google.

----------

Okay so you can listen to the radio without it getting interrupted during carplay. That is good to hear.

Hopefully someone can chime in for sure about using a receiver in the car to get sirius while using carplay.

Also, how do you like 4000 NEX? I cant really tell what the difference is between the 7000 and 4000 other than certain map functionality and everything, which obviously with carplay wont be important.

How is the touchscreen? I would love the capacative of the 8000 but im not paying over 1000 dollars for a receiver.

Yes, you can listen to SiriusXM while in Carplay.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Don't really care about that as I would still like to charge my phone at the same time so being wired makes no difference to me.

This ^. I like charging and using CarPlay at the same time. Would be nice if it were wireless but would kill the battery.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
Some CarPlay units also have integrated GPS and some don't. I've heard that for those that do, Apple Maps in CarPlay will actually use that GPS even when there is no cellular service. Can anyone confirm?

Sulten

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
I love the new Carplay on my AppRadio 4 I just dont always have it hooked up. I stream music ITunes, Pandora and etc wireless but i dont like having it hooked up to car play and have siri start reading my MSG a loud so everyone can here this. have you found a way to turn that feature off. and not pop up with notification on the screen you have a msg.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Some CarPlay units also have integrated GPS and some don't. I've heard that for those that do, Apple Maps in CarPlay will actually use that GPS even when there is no cellular service. Can anyone confirm?

I can't confirm in that instance, but I do know that iOS will cache map data for when there is low/no connectivity. I've browsed Maps on my cellular-capable iPad while connected with wifi and then drove 30 miles away. Those iPads have GPS chips, so I was trying out turn-by-turn directions (this was with iOS 6, as my iPhone 4 at the time did not have that), but I wasn't paying for cellular coverage on it at the time. I'd assume that CarPlay would offer a similar arrangement.

apple.snapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
It's not as clean, but it seems to work just as well (if not better), but I'm going with iPad Air 2 + iOttie iPad car mount + bluetooth. The iOttie mounts to the dash and hangs down in front of your vents so it doesn't block your view. If you have a LTE version (or hotspot to your phone), you have everything CarPlay has and more.

trellaine

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2009
West Coast
Where can I find a list of carplay apps currently? Thanks I am wondering are US and Canada apps different? Not sure how carplay works. If i can get the app on my phone and its supported by carplay it should work correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.