Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ianmcuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Pic of the installation - v nice upgrade to an 8 year old vehicle :)

Attachments

• IMG_4095.jpg
    IMG_4095.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 659

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Pic of the installation - v nice upgrade to an 8 year old vehicle :)

Is that the AppRadio 4?
Edit: nevermind. How's the 6.1" compared to a 7"?

----------

Am loving my SPH-DA120 (aka AppRadio 4) also. A few quirks, but I'm getting used to it. What car/adapter gets you a Siri button? I used a kit to integrate with my 207's stalk controls and track skip/volume work great, but no dedicated Siri button sadly :-(

"Hey Siri" tries to work, but it's a bit problematic on my unit. It brings up the prompt on the display, but doesn't always give the beep and accept commands. It's also very difficult to trigger Siri from the touch screen - so the lack of a Siri button is quite a limiting factor in my setup.

I don't have a Siri button. Either press and hold the home button on the unit or press/hold the "Accept Call" button if you have.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
For anyone with carplay: Can you access the satellite radio while in carplay?

Like can I listen to Sirius while I am using carplay for navigation? This is the big deciding factor for me.

scr1968

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
For anyone with carplay: Can you access the satellite radio while in carplay?

Like can I listen to Sirius while I am using carplay for navigation? This is the big deciding factor for me.

I'd say the answer is yes - but my "yes" is coming from a 4000NEX owner who does not have satellite radio built in.

I can play SiriusXM content using the SiriusXM app on my iPhone 5s and switch to CarPlay and have the SiriusXM content continue to play and use Maps. In fact anything you can play on your iPhone (so far at least) can play "in the background" when you switch to CarPlay more -- including the regular AM / FM radio

Others who have satellite radio built in to their headunits will have to chime in to confirm if they can play content also. But unless there is something special I suspect that satellite radio built in will work much the same as AM / FM does.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I'd say the answer is yes - but my "yes" is coming from a 4000NEX owner who does not have satellite radio built in.

I can play SiriusXM content using the SiriusXM app on my iPhone 5s and switch to CarPlay and have the SiriusXM content continue to play and use Maps. In fact anything you can play on your iPhone (so far at least) can play "in the background" when you switch to CarPlay more -- including the regular AM / FM radio

Others who have satellite radio built in to their headunits will have to chime in to confirm if they can play content also. But unless there is something special I suspect that satellite radio built in will work much the same as AM / FM does.

Okay so you can listen to the radio without it getting interrupted during carplay. That is good to hear.

Hopefully someone can chime in for sure about using a receiver in the car to get sirius while using carplay.

Also, how do you like 4000 NEX? I cant really tell what the difference is between the 7000 and 4000 other than certain map functionality and everything, which obviously with carplay wont be important.

How is the touchscreen? I would love the capacative of the 8000 but im not paying over 1000 dollars for a receiver.

ianmcuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Is that the AppRadio 4?
Edit: nevermind. How's the 6.1" compared to a 7"?

I've never owned a 7" so can't really compare. The 6.1" seems more than adequate, easily viewable and still easy to interact with CarPlay's nice chunky interface.

Scrolling in long lists (like the album list) can be a bit clumsy, but based on reviews I've read of other units this could be down to CarPlay itself rather than the display or it's size.

The major annoyance I have is that it's too difficult to trigger a long press on the CarPlay home button (and call up Siri). This may be a combination of factors including the size of the display, it being a less accurate than the iPhone's, and the fact that being a UK driver I'm on the right hand side and have to try and operate it with my left hand (I'm right handed).

I don't have a Siri button. Either press and hold the home button on the unit or press/hold the "Accept Call" button if you have.

This is a really good tip - thanks. Long press on the home button on the unit is much more reliable than trying to do it on the touch screen, and also calls CarPlay back when I'm in FM radio mode in the Pioneer interface.

I"m going to try and figure out if I can add accept/reject call buttons to my setup somehow, as this would be even better.

scr1968

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Okay so you can listen to the radio without it getting interrupted during carplay. That is good to hear.

Also, how do you like 4000 NEX? I cant really tell what the difference is between the 7000 and 4000 other than certain map functionality and everything, which obviously with carplay wont be important.

How is the touchscreen? I would love the capacative of the 8000 but im not paying over 1000 dollars for a receiver.

Figured there was no sense getting a headunit with built-in navigation so that made the decision on the 4000NEX in the Spring a no brainer.

The touch screen is perfectly fine and agreed, it isn't worth the extra $$$ IMO for the capacitive screen but others may argue that. I have been happy with my 4000NEX pre-Carplay and thus far my CarPlay experience has been "good" but not "great" yet but hopefully it will get there as bugs are squished.

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Question regarding Car Play. When you plug in your phone to use Car Play, does it lock you out of your phone? Or while Car Play is running can you still review things like email, or open streaming apps, etc. on the phone iteself?

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Question regarding Car Play. When you plug in your phone to use Car Play, does it lock you out of your phone? Or while Car Play is running can you still review things like email, or open streaming apps, etc. on the phone iteself?

No, the phone mirrors what you are doing on the screen. If you launch Spotify on Carplay, the phone will launch it too. You can interact at either location. Not sure what happens if, for example, you're using Spotify on Carplay and then switch to your email on your phone. I assume Carplay would transition to the Now Playing screen instead of letting you continue to interact with the Spotify app.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA

When my phone is connected via CarPlay, if the app I open on my phone is compatible, it'll launch on both. But to answer your question, no you don't get locked out of your phone, although I have noticed small glitches due to it.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
If anyone is interested in the Alpine, I used a coupon at pacificstereo.com and got it for $480.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
My main concern with all these units is the brightness. Can the brightness be turned way WAY down at night, including all the way off, for distraction free night driving?

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Question for anyone with the SPH-DA120 (Appradio 4) unit installed - can you see the album artwork OK when in the Now Playing screen? I can only see a very faint black outline where the artwork should be (behind the text) and only if I view the unit from certain angles. I've tried all sorts of brightness, colour settings, etc. but it's just not showing up as detailed in the links provide by Poob Bubes above, certainly no colour on any artwork.
The only other real issue I have is that it takes two attempts to use "Hey Siri". The first attempt displays the "How can I help you" screen and looks like it is listening but is not and quickly finishes with the tone as if you were ending Siri. If I say "Hey Siri" straight after this Siri then fires and starts listening.
Other than that the unit is excellent and a good addition.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Interesting

I have my iPad set up with the "Hey Siri" option in my car and it works really well.

Never thought they would do it.

It would be better of course to have Carplay, but waiting around for that is not on my short list.

I haven't tried turn by turn, but then again i've got a feeling i'm not going to want to fiddle with that. My Nav works very well, and the directions Siri gives me are straight forward. I'm sure i could improve it a bit but it works pretty good now.

In other words: "If it ain't broke...."

Just add to it

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Any issues with iOS 8.x.x with CarPlay? The Pioneer site is confusing when it comes to iOS 8.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Apples apps all behave fine. It does get buggy when using third party apps like Spotify and Overcast.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
I set up CarPlay on my Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX a couple of days ago. Played with it and haven't been listening to HD radio since. Really like the functionality and Siri works pretty well. It is snappy :cool: and I really believe it's a job well done by Apple. Haven't tried Android Auto so I can't compare but I'm pretty impressed.

Does Navigon work with car play? If it works I might replace my old Pioneer AVIC-D2 with one of their AppRadio 4 units....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.