Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2018
You didn't buy one yet? Honestly, just get a Power Mac G4. It combines the best of the eMac and the best of the B/W. It'll serve you better in that it won't be restricted to OS X.

Getting modern Linux working on the eMac is a tremendous pain in the @$$, if it is even possible (I'm not current). Even Debian 7 and 12.04 are subpar experiences, thanks to the CRT's ever-shifting geometry with no way to change it via software.

To be blunt, eMacs are great machines. The last model rivals low-end iMac G5s, while everything prior went toe-to-toe with the iMac G4s. But if you plan on ever running anything besides OS X, looking elsewhere is strongly recommended.
[/QUOTE
I always loved CRT displays, will the later model Apple crt studio monitors work at least?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I always loved CRT displays, will the later model Apple crt studio monitors work at least?

I've never heard of any problems with those. So presumably, yes.

In a nutshell, the eMac had a special implementation of its CRT that other CRTs did not have, like the iMac G3 and (likely) the studio displays. Thus, it was never quite right in anything but OS X.

Of course, they are stellar OS X boxes. :)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Dang. You're right. It segfaults. It works on my prerelease test.iso, but that one lacks a few tweaks. I'll upload that one for now until I can figure out what broke it. This one can just be a live/recovery disk then I guess. :-/

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ok, i started over. Updating to 16.04.6 before you install breaks the installer somehow. So now its fine with stock 16.04 with added packages and tweaks. Also fixed the missing custom wallpaper in the live session. And because it was mentioned i added arctic fox also. I'll upload and link to fixed build within 24 hours of now.

installer.png

(live session w/installer working)

Cheers

thebrainmaster1000

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
Hi on my G5 the installer not working. i wanna update from my lubuntu 16.04 but no chance. direct live cd test no chance... boot and installer per click or via console not working.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Hello wicknix, first of all many thanks for putting effort into tweaking Lubuntu for PowerPC. I've tried the image (the one from yesterday) on 2 of my old Macs but unfortunately I'm having some issues:

PowerBook G4 15" 1.67 GHz DLSD, 2 GB RAM – after I type "live" in yaboot the screen turns blue and it appears to be loading the necessary files into the ramdisk but eventually the blue screen disappears and I'm stuck with a black one (no sound from the optical drive, so I guess the necessary files have already been loaded and the system is up but I can't see anything)

PowerBook G4 12" 1.5 GHz Early 2005, 1.25 GB RAM – Everything loads and appears to be working (live system) however there is one big drawback and that is the trackpad. I can hardly move the cursor, one really has to press rather hard on the trackpad in order to get it moving properly. Changing the mouse settings in Lubuntu didn't change anything unfortunately.

Is there anything that can be done to get a smoother tracking experience and the system to show up on the DLSD?

Thanks again.

saxfun

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2016
Germany
I tried it on a A1138 with no success. After changing the boot options for RADEON gfx the live cd boots fully. But the installer desktop icon won't start. If you copy the cmd "sh -c 'ubiquity gtk_ui' to terminal it leads to SEGFAULT.

MrPuffin

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2015
Radeon GFX card? Try booting with: live radeon.modeset=1 radeon.agpmode=-1 video=offb:eek:ff nosplash

tried booting my powerbook G4 1.5ghz w/ Ati Radeon 9700 & 2Gb ram.

it will boot to live cd with no interaction just cant install anything.
but if i add command listed above it will not boot at all just a black screen.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
The installer was broken. We found that out late in the day. I uploaded a new version with tested working installer and changed the link in first post.

For Radeon cards older than a 9600 try booting with :
live radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.modeset=1 nosplash

Cheers

Last edited:

lewis.donofrio

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
when lubuntu doesn't boot or is not visable (tried the switched on my powerbooks) fails I break out voidlinux-ppc.org this is still awesome progress just without video and no ssh by default (or is it?) in lubuntu I'm stuck too often.....

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@lewis.donofrio bummer. I don't get it. I ordered a PowerBook g4 1.67ghz recently and it has no problem with lubuntu, nor my Mac mini g4, nor my 2 G5's. The only tricky part was figuring out yaboot boot parameters. After that all runs well. The mini and PowerBook however don't dual boot osx. They use the whole drive. Not sure if that makes a difference in your case or not.

Cheers

lewis.donofrio

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
What switches should I use when NVD detected I tried the ones you put in the yaboot remarks (nice touch) just seems so close yet just the screen issues I'm guessing I'll keep trying.....if you have a newer image I'll burn that and give it a 14th go ;)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I did upload new iso with fixed installer this morning. Refresh 1st post here. Nvidia eh? I'm at work now, but tonight I'll search out other parameters for nvidia cards. Finding one for my fx5200 was a pain. ;)

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It's in my Google drive, but different link. I changed the link in 1st post to reflect new iso. This one won't be in a zip file, and it's 1gb vs the broken 1st attempt at 1.8gb.

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Not yet! ;)
Stock Ubuntu was around 900mb. Someday I could probably start with Ubuntu server, (basically blank slate barebones system) and do like icewm or jwm for a desktop, yet keep it small and fit a CD. I'm just figuring this "live" stuff out. I got plans going forward. :)

Cheers

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Not yet! ;)
Stock Ubuntu was around 900mb. Someday I could probably start with Ubuntu server, (basically blank slate barebones system) and do like icewm or jwm for a desktop, yet keep it small and fit a CD. I'm just figuring this "live" stuff out. I got plans going forward. :)

Cheers

Man, a Puppy Linux like Ubuntu or Debain based distro, with JWM as the window manager, with just what you need and nothing you don't, that'd be the ticket for our aging PowerPC hardware. It's amazing what the Puppy community does to keep old hardware on song. Bionic Beaver Pup may actually have support till 2028.

Reactions: C.D.Burner

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Man, a Puppy Linux like Ubuntu or Debain based distro, with JWM as the window manager, with just what you need and nothing you don't, that'd be the ticket for our aging PowerPC hardware.

I don't think it works like that - even the just the core is still a modern OS with modern OS requirements.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
I don't think it works like that - even the just the core is still a modern OS with modern OS requirements.

You are right, in the sense that Puppy is built differently than say a Lubuntu, which is just core Ubuntu with the LXDE DE. Puppy uses the woof builder and some of the base of Ubuntu, so is "binary compatible" with it, but you cant automatically install any old pkg from Ubuntu's repositories. What Puppy has are fanatical developers like Oscar Talks who can fix or build just about anything, swap one lib for another without borking the whole system and work tirelessly to keep Puppy supplied with modern software. But there are limits, of course. My hope, perhaps not well expressed, was with a Ubuntu server base a smaller and lighter Linux distro for PowerPC could be built. That's all.

lewis.donofrio

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
what about ATY? this remix works great except it's 500+ packages behind (that my apt-get upgrade ran out of space to update the live session) also wow everything works great till I click install then the wizard comes up I click continue and then the video to wacky, no matter if I just boot it or leave it sit for hours then click install, every time I try a gui install I get blinking.....
I feel soooooo close!!!
20191010_195556.jpg

[automerge]1570773649[/automerge]
it's almost like how do I run text install from gui or do you have "alt" of respun because this is so close just need install that works and I should be golden......

saxfun

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2016
Germany
i have many problems with ubuntu 16.04 on my A1138:
with your supposed yaboot parameters I can boot but I'm getting a black screen at login. Sometimes it is possible to put in the password and after login I can regulate the screen brightness with Fn+F2. the A1138 Powerbook has the r300 (ATI 9700) mobility chip, I thought no yaboot parameters were necessary. ubuntu detects the ATI chip, glxgears is not working, so no 3D acceleration.
I always gets the message drm:radeon_get_bio *ERROR* Unable to locate a bios rom.

glxgears is NOW working after the morning updates . . . crazy. black screen at login remains!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.