Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewis.donofrio

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
Just so you know powerpc is still a rocking architecture

minicm

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2019
Guatemala
Yes, I am. A bit hard to say about the graphics stuff. I don't have any AGP ppc macs with very old GPUs like this (closest is my Powerbook G4 with a Mobility Radeon 9700). What I'd try first is using the matching Xorg DDX driver (xf86-video-ati) instead of the generic modesetting xorg driver. The modesetting driver won't give you any 2D acceleration, since it's generic and uses OpenGL (GLAMOR) to accelerate 2D, and it could perhaps fix 3D as well, since the modern KMS paths may not be well tested on old hardware like that.
sure, but you can still use the DDX driver for xorg-specific 2D accel paths and stuff even with the KMS kernel driver.

Anyways, I plan to spin some 3.16/3.18/4.4 kernels for the repository as well, at least for 32-bit and maybe BE 64-bit (LE 64-bit doesn't need them, and my space is limited as it is...). So in case the current kernels won't cut it (it should always at least boot though), one will always be able to fall back onto the older stuff (at least as long as it doesn't go EOL). And maybe in the meantime those other issues will get ironed out.
Interesting, i have a powerbook g4 9700 so... if I want to try those things that you say, how can i do that? can you help me?

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Gave it a shot on my 12” pb & it hangs on a backlit black screen (where I think others have experienced a blue screen). The process follows this video almost identically just past modealias failure and then just stays there. I hear the cd spinning and then finish up - my assumption is that the livecd finishes booting up but there is some issue with the geforce4mx driver so no visible gui. Any thoughts on how to get into the live cd environment?

Last edited:

q66_

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
Brno, Czech Republic
Interesting, i have a powerbook g4 9700 so... if I want to try those things that you say, how can i do that? can you help me?

3D works out of box (with either modesetting or ati ddx) on new powerbooks like this. What's broken is suspend/resume, but there is literally nothing you can do about that, since the UMS code paths have been removed from the kernel *and* from the userspace Xorg driver (and an old version of the Xorg driver does not build/work against a modern X server). So if you want suspend/resume to work, you're stuck with unaccelerated legacy fbdev drivers (or live with it and use suspend-to-disk, which works). My comment on having older kernels is mostly relevant to other, even older hardware which can be otherwise problematic (TiBooks, G3s and so on) - while they'll also bring back the UMS kernel code paths, there is no matching userspace driver for them, so you're *still* stuck with fbdev either way.

Reactions: dextructor

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@RhianB Could you try booting with "live nouveau.noaccel=1" or "live nouveau.modeset=0"? That's about all i found for nvidia cards in a quick search.

Edit: On a side note, try using the keyboard hotkeys to turn up the backlight. Sometimes my 15" PB boots fine, but backlight is off.

Cheers

Reactions: z970 and 1042686

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Ahh, so close yet so far :)

Neauveau.modeset=0 yields this result.
DFF7A860-C086-44FE-8D96-921C19AEDA9C.jpeg

I’ll keep plugging away.

yeah drag, Nouveau.modeset, =0, =1 etc. nor anything else resolved the screen. Something to work on another day I suppose. Maybe I'll play around with this on my PMG5 in the garage tomorrow.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
(I knew what ya meant lol)

Unfortunately that did not work. It would hang on the white boot screen. Omitting just
Code:
video=offb:off
specifically would allow the installer to move forward to the liveCD gui environment but still with the previously distorted coloration. Anyhoo, it is late. I'll return to this at another time.

:D

Oh well dems da breaks.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
How about:
Code:
live nouveau.modeset=0 video=nouveaufb:1024x768-16
or
Code:
live nouveau.modeset=0 video=nvidiafb:1024x768-16

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
No dice. while they are producing a live cd environment, the same garbled pixelated gui remains. I'll mess more with this later today. Thanks for the suggestions. Subsequently, when installing void, I get the same result on this machine. Something to do with the geforce420 go driver I guess.

Reactions: lewis.donofrio

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
No dice. while they are producing a live cd environment, the same garbled pixelated gui remains. I'll mess more with this later today. Thanks for the suggestions. Subsequently, when installing void, I get the same result on this machine. Something to do with the geforce420 go driver I guess.

Hey @RhianB, here’s another one to throw in the mix;
Code:
nouveau.config=NvMSI=0
This helped my Geforce 6800 GT in addition to the earlier kernel parameters.

Reactions: 1042686

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Hey @RhianB, here’s another one to throw in the mix;
Code:
nouveau.config=NvMSI=0
This helped my Geforce 6800 GT in addition to the earlier kernel parameters.

I was a little surprised that the FX5200 didnt work with the g4 geforce4 go family gpus. I didnt get around to trying it on my garage PMG5 but think it should work out of the box there.

Looks like this isn't going to work either. Getting the same black screen result as the FX5200 driver. Thanks for the ideas :)

Off to trabajo.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks. :)
Before you fully commit, wait until I'm done with work (approx 5 hours from now). I created an .img to dd to a usb stick. Best part... It's persistent. Meaning I left 2gb of overlay space so it will remember settings, bookmarks, installed extra packages etc. In short, its the live dvd, but on usb, with the ability to save the session. Will have it uploaded and linked later today.

Cheers
[automerge]1571077105[/automerge]
Also try "conky -b &" in terminal. ;)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Updated first post with info on the live USB with persistent storage. Great for anyone who is afraid to try partitioning for dual booting linux+OSX, or just wants to try linux without installing. It's also portable. Use it on any of your PPC machines. :)

Cheers

I'm having no luck booting from USB on my Powerbook (same one as above) - I can't find the USB stick - out of all the entries (when using "dev usb0 ls" for example) only 1 branches to device, keyboard and mouse - no sign of the expected "disk."
I've tried this with my Morphos USB stick (which created a working install, so I know it's ok) and the same results occur.
Any suggestions or is this machines OF USB boot resistant?

usb.jpg

q66_

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
Brno, Czech Republic
I'm having no luck booting from USB on my Powerbook (same one as above) - I can't find the USB stick - out of all the entries (when using "dev usb0 ls" for example) only 1 branches to device, keyboard and mouse - no sign of the expected "disk."
I've tried this with my Morphos USB stick (which created a working install, so I know it's ok) and the same results occur.
Any suggestions or is this machines OF USB boot resistant?

it could be under another subtree, I documented it here https://docs.voidlinux-ppc.org/installation/live-images/booting.html#g4g3-or-if-it-doesnt-work

As far as I know, *any* NewWorld mac can boot from USB. Also, you need to boot the machine with the stick already inserted.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Would you believe it...rebooted and now it sees the stick, partial success with usb0....however, it halts at "Warning: sector size mismatch! can't OPEN...."
Do you think that's because I appended the dd command with "bs=1m" when writing the stick? I did that because first time around, the dd hadn't completed even after one hour (on Mac Pro) so I tried again with the extra instruction.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Would you believe it...rebooted and now it sees the stick, partial success with usb0....however, it halts at "Warning: sector size mismatch! can't OPEN...."
Do you think that's because I appended the dd command with "bs=1m" when writing the stick? I did that because first time around, the dd hadn't completed even after one hour (on Mac Pro) so I tried again with the extra instruction.
To my knowledge the m in bs=1M needs to upper case. I typically use “bs=4M”. I’ve found that it leads to faster writes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.