Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Hey wicknix, I appreciate your contribution. Could you maybe explain what would be the easiest way to dual boot Linux and OS X? It is pretty straight forward on x86 machines but on ppc not so much. I guess I would have to prepare 2 partitions in Disk Utility on Tiger or Leopard (one for the OS, the other one for swap) and reformat them in the Linux installer and assign their purpose. How would I boot the Linux install however, I think it is not as easy as simply pressing option upon startup and selecting the Linux volume? I know there is a live system but I'd rather have it on my SSD because I'm expecting it to be way quicker that way. Also, is there a way to get a smoother trackpad experience on a PowerBook G4 12" (Early 2005)? The cursor only moves when the trackpad is pressed rather hard ...

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'm not a good person to ask about dual boot honestly. On my G5's it was easy. 1 hard drive for tiger & leopard and 1 hard drive for Linux. Then just holding option would allow you to choose what to boot. My mini and PB I just dedicated to Linux. As for trackpad, click on keyboard and mouse setting in preferences. Adjust the sliders to your liking. My PB was too sensitive and I had to drop the sliders down almost all the way.

Cheers

Reactions: netsrot39

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
:( Tried the new image this morning and still getting the same error. I imaged it to the flash drive from OSX, so I guess I'll try it from my Linux machine.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Really? Dang. I now have 3 working usbs off that .img. 1 for each g5 and the original in the PowerBook. All working. I'm stumped. :-/

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
I dd'ed the new image to the same USB from my iBook Debian server, and it worked! Posting this from it now! Super work @wicknix! It's not super quick running from USB, but it is definitely usable, and I could definitely see this being very reasonably fast if installed on my SSD! This is the first time I've ever been sorely tempted to try installing Linux on my DLSD. Will certainly need to take an image of the drive first, but I really want to see how well this will perform when installed. Thanks for all your hard work!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Awesome! Glad to hear. Yeah usb speed isn't the best, but once loaded it isn't bad. 1 of my 3 sticks is super slow, but my 2 Kingstons are faster than the live dvd. None are as fast as full install though. ;)

Cheers
[automerge]1571245480[/automerge]
Oh and post a screenshot or it didn't happen. Lol.

Reactions: sparty411

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Also if you want to install, i suggest from the live dvd. Not sure how the installer will react with the changes to yaboot on the live usb pertaining to the persistent storage drive.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Did a full install with the original image I downloaded. iBook G3's with the Mobility Radeon 7500 will work, but 2D / 3D performance is pretty bad. glxgears runs just fine, but it isn't indicative of real world performance. Works great on every G4 iBook / Powerbook I've tried, though. Might roll the G3 iBook back to Wheezy :confused:

Attachments

• 1571245606737.png
    1571245606737.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: Amethyst1

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Hey wicknix, I appreciate your contribution. Could you maybe explain what would be the easiest way to dual boot Linux and OS X? It is pretty straight forward on x86 machines but on ppc not so much. I guess I would have to prepare 2 partitions in Disk Utility on Tiger or Leopard (one for the OS, the other one for swap) and reformat them in the Linux installer and assign their purpose. How would I boot the Linux install however, I think it is not as easy as simply pressing option upon startup and selecting the Linux volume? I know there is a live system but I'd rather have it on my SSD because I'm expecting it to be way quicker that way.

Consult the Wiki...

lewis.donofrio

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
Did a full install with the original image I downloaded. iBook G3's with the Mobility Radeon 7500 will work, but 2D / 3D performance is pretty bad. glxgears runs just fine, but it isn't indicative of real world performance. Works great on every G4 iBook / Powerbook I've tried, though. Might roll the G3 iBook back to Wheezy :confused:
What boot switches? need one for the 12inc powerbook-nuevuo?, another one for the 17inch powerbook (aty128)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yes, but more noticeable in pure framebuffer mode vs having a better supported gfx card. Either way I run all my g4's in 16 bit color.
[automerge]1571254533[/automerge]
If you're in my 16.04 remix open terminal and type: inxi -G it will output what driver is being used, and what is unloaded.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I had that preset in the live usb. The installer will revert some stuff back to default values. Just right click on desktop -> desktop prefs -> wallpaper mode -> stretch to fill

Reactions: lewis.donofrio

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I've tried three times to install from the DVD - once with internal optical and twice with an external - each time the Powerbook goes into thermal shutdown whilst the fan is blasting away, leaving a broken install.
Just re-installed Tiger which went on in silence, fan not whirring once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.