Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Would you believe it...rebooted and now it sees the stick, partial success with usb0....however, it halts at "Warning: sector size mismatch! can't OPEN...."
Do you think that's because I appended the dd command with "bs=1m" when writing the stick? I did that because first time around, the dd hadn't completed even after one hour (on Mac Pro) so I tried again with the extra instruction.

I've never had any luck with creating boot drives from anywhere but Linux.

If you can dd on another Linux machine, that'll definitely work. No BS required. ;)

And in some cases, I have seen USB drives that simply didn't get along with a certain machine. So failing dd on Linux, try with another stick.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
While we're on the topic of booting from USB, does anyone know whether or not there are certain iBooks that just won't boot from USB period? I have 2 800 MHz iBook G4's that flat out refuse, while all other models I own work just fine.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Third attempt, now on a different usb stick, fails with: MAC-PARTS: bad partition can't OPEN: usb0/disk@1:,\\yaboot - that happens on both Powerbook DLSD and iBook 1.33, the Powerbook 12" only gives the can't OPEN bit.
Maybe it's as @z970mp says and needs to be authored in Linux?
Not a problem though, I'll use the live DVD instead :)

Reactions: z970

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
I'm downloading the new image right now, and will be dd'ing it to USB from Debian Wheezy. I'll report back with my findings. Just to be clear, the b43 driver will work OOTB on the live image, correct?

Reactions: z970

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Third attempt, now on a different usb stick, fails with: MAC-PARTS: bad partition can't OPEN: usb0/disk@1:,\\yaboot - that happens on both Powerbook DLSD and iBook 1.33, the Powerbook 12" only gives the can't OPEN bit.
Maybe it's as @z970mp says and needs to be authored in Linux?
Not a problem though, I'll use the live DVD instead :)
Just reporting I'm getting the same "MAC-PARTS: bad partition can't OPEN" error after dd-ing the image to two different USB sticks on my DLSD.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Werks on my machine

Attachments

• 66F6ABB5-491C-4593-A5BC-D1F6680927B0.jpeg
    66F6ABB5-491C-4593-A5BC-D1F6680927B0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 260

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Not sure what syntax you guys are using, but
Code:
sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/your/image of=/dev/sdx
did it for me. "sdx" being the name of the disk you're dd'ing the image to. It isn't necessary to specify a partition number when doing this. I just formatted the disk with Gnome disk utility, and created a FAT partition, then dd'd the image to the flash drive. I'd like to add,
Code:
bs=4M
wrote the image at 12.2 MB/s as opposed to the paltry 3.2 MB/s I typically get without specifying that command. Just an observation of mine.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
Not sure what syntax you guys are using, but
Code:
sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/your/image of=/dev/sdx
did it for me. "sdx" being the name of the disk you're dd'ing the image to. It isn't necessary to specify a partition number when doing this. I just formatted the disk with Gnome disk utility, and created a FAT partition, then dd'd the image to the flash drive.
Yeah, I'm doing the exact same thing, except OSX-style device name, so it is `/dev/disk1s1`. Will try it on my Debian server next...

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@sparty411 that doesn't resemble the usb.img. Looks like the live DVD. The usb .img has resized wallpaper to display the full image, an extra drive (persistent storage drive) on the desktop, and AF & SW in the toolbar. ;)

Anyway... I figured it out. My .img was probably bad. I just finished dd-ing it again from a working usb stick to an .img. Then i grabbed a 16gb usb stick laying around, formatted it, dd'd the new .img to that stick (took 20 minutes roughly), tossed it in to the powerbook and... IT WORKS! Boots fine. Slower to boot than a real install, but it's working. My upload speeds suck, says 4 hours left to upload. I'll update the main post and here with a new link when it's finished.

Cheers

Reactions: dextructor

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
@sparty411 that doesn't resemble the usb.img. Looks like the live DVD. The usb .img has resized wallpaper to display the full image, an extra drive (persistent storage drive) on the desktop, and AF & SW in the toolbar. ;)

Anyway... I figured it out. My .img was probably bad. I just finished dd-ing it again from a working usb stick to an .img. Then i grabbed a 16gb usb stick laying around, formatted it, dd'd the new .img to that stick (took 20 minutes roughly), tossed it in to the powerbook and... IT WORKS! Boots fine. Slower to boot than a real install, but it's working. My upload speeds suck, says 4 hours left to upload. I'll update the main post and here with a new link when it's finished.

Cheers
Crap.. I downloaded the iso at the top of the OP 😂 I dun goofed. Sorry, guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.