Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Just curious, are you using a 12” aluminum? I have the exact same problem with my 12” in Linux. Any sustained CPU load shuts it down.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Just curious, are you using a 12” aluminum? I have the exact same problem with my 12” in Linux. Any sustained CPU load shuts it down.

Yes, 12" 1.33 model - admittedly, it is the hottest running and I have G4Fan Control with OSX but I've never experienced a thermal shut down before...in theory fan blasting away there should be over cooling?

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Yes, 12" 1.33 model - admittedly, it is the hottest running and I have G4Fan Control with OSX but I've never experienced a thermal shut down before...in theory fan blasting away there should be over cooling?
I’m under the impression that the thermal shutdown is a false alarm. Mine gets pretty warm as well, but not hot enough to warrant a shutdown. Sensors in Linux are probably reporting a higher temperature than is true. Probably best to just stick with OSX on the 12” alums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I’m under the impression that the thermal shutdown is a false alarm. Mine gets pretty warm as well, but not hot enough to warrant a shutdown. Sensors in Linux are probably reporting a higher temperature than is true. Probably best to just stick with OSX on the 12” alums.

I'm sure there'd be a way to adjust the temp thresholds pre-install? I suspect it's set with a huge safety margin currently.

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
I've tried three times to install from the DVD - once with internal optical and twice with an external - each time the Powerbook goes into thermal shutdown whilst the fan is blasting away, leaving a broken install.
Just re-installed Tiger which went on in silence, fan not whirring once.
I am running MintPPC on the exact same machine as you have and I don't experience the fan blasting issue. As a matter of fact, it is totally silent. When running Arctic Fox I can hear the fan coming in softly.
Edit: it's not the exact same, I own a PowerBook 6,2 12 Inch

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Finally carved out some time to get this up and running on my PMG5 - Works pretty well. Without any bench comparisons, outy of the box, it seems a bit faster using arcticfox than Leopard. Install crashed twice but on the third try I installed sans internet & it finished, then updating after the fact.
Screenshot from 2019-10-25 12-55-34.png

As Lubuntu doesnot have a screenshot app, I installed screenshot app via terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-screenshot
Which works like a charm. As Im using an white AS keyboard, I have no idea what the printscreen key is on an apple keyboard LOL. Anyhoo, I forgot how much I enjoy using command line to get stuff done.

One small issue - 2nd monitor isnot working in 16.04. I think its the DVI-VGA adapter Im using but have not had the time yet to trouble shoot. Any advice or insighjt on this before I dive in?

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
If you like command line, it had scrot built in for screen shots. :)
I've never tried dual monitors. If you figure it out let us know.

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
For laptop users here's a quick way to display battery status. Install ibam and apm. (sudo apt install ibam apm)
Then sudo mcedit /etc/conky/conky.conf and add the highlighted lines in the photo (esc+2 to save then esc+0 to exit)
Conky should reload itself with battery status on the bottom. :)
Run conky by using the run box (menu -> run then type conky -b)

ibam-conky.png

Cheers

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
For laptop users here's a quick way to display battery status. Install ibam and apm. (sudo apt install ibam apm)
Then sudo mcedit /etc/conky/conky.conf and add the highlighted lines in the photo (esc+2 to save then esc+0 to exit)
Conky should reload itself with battery status on the bottom. :)
Run conky by using the run box (menu -> run then type conky -b)

View attachment 872875

Cheers

I have a perl script that will put a battery indicator in your panel, using your current icon theme.

Info with download link here- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-powerpc-linux-wiki.2178457/post-27501243

Reactions: wicknix

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Im a little bit confused about the "USB-Stick creation guide" in the first post.

1. Which system has been used to do these steps (get a "busy" message when do this under 10.13.)

2. Which bootblock on for the stick? Masterboot, GUID?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA

Ydeclave

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
Hi,
I installed Lubuntu 16.04 stock a couple of days ago on a PowerMac G4 MDD 867 Mhz DP, with a Geforce4 MX 32 MB. I had not found this thread at the time, I am downloading your Remix version now :) Thanks for your work!

However I can't solve the graphic issue on the stock version, do you think it will be easier on yours?
I edited the xorg.conf to add HorizSync and VertRefresh values to the Monitor section, I added "Driver "nouveau" " at the Device section, added Depth 24, stuff about resolution, all this did not change anything. I will post more details (picture of the xorg.conf) if anyone has an idea. I use a 1920*1080 display, it works seamless on OS9, OS X and in the text mode of Lubuntu.

Attachments

• IMG_20191029_144651 - resized.jpg
    IMG_20191029_144651 - resized.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20191029_144704 - copie.jpg
    IMG_20191029_144704 - copie.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 105

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
After a bit of searching the interwebs, it seems that gfx card is problematic under ppc linux. I did find a work-a-round somebody posted. It's a bit hackish, but worth a shot i suppose. Boot with video=ofonly . Then once it boots drop to a console (ctrl+alt+f1), then add nouveau to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. (it appears to be an issue with OF's framebuffer, udev, and the nouveau driver confusing each other). Save and reboot. Boot with video=ofonly again. Drop back to console again. Now stop X + lightdm. Type: /etc/init.d/lightdm stop ,then sudo modprobe -a nuoveau ,then type: /etc/init.d/lightdm start . With any luck you'll have a decent looking desktop.

If this works i'm sure you could add modprobe -a nouveau to a script that loads it just before X starts to be less cumbersome. Basically it just seems the driver cant be loaded until 'after' the OS boots, but has to be loaded before X.

Good luck.

errorlog

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2019
Dang! Every time i try to start a programm or change the windowsize of a programm my G4 mini 1.33 freezes.

As long, as i only use the Terminal to update the system, everything is fine. But when i use the GUI, the system freezes.

I already edited the yaboot.conf but it didn`t work.

The mini worked flawlessly under MacOS.

Is there anything i can do? It looks like the Radeon 9200 is the problem.

The System freezes and the screen starts to flash several times.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
What parameters are you using? I have a mini g4 with the radeon 9200 that works fine. It'll lock up when booted with stock (no) parameters. Mine works fine with the 9xxx parameters listed in the first post, but my powerbook g4 needs nomodeset removed or it locks up. Try
Code:
radeon.agpmode=-1 quiet video=offb:off nosplash
and see if that fixes it. All it takes is trying various parameters until you find the right combination (which can be tedious depending on gfx card).

Cheers

Reactions: AphoticD

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
l'm at the end of my ideas

its not possible to boot from the stick with my iMac G4

boot usb1/disk@1:,\\yaboot or boot usb1b/disk@1:,\\yaboot does not work, i always get the stop sign.

Stick was created under Ubuntu Mate 16.04

What im doing wrong?

IMG_1691.JPG
h.jpg

images.jpeg

errorlog

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2019
Try
Code:
radeon.agpmode=-1 quiet video=offb:off nosplash
and see if that fixes it. All it takes is trying various parameters until you find the right combination (which can be tedious depending on gfx card).

Cheers

Thanks for your reply. May be i am doing something wrong. I attached the line

Code:
append="radeon.agpmode=-1 quiet video=offb:off nosplash"

to the end of the /etc/yaboot.conf, typed "sudo ybin -v" and rebooted.

Same Problem: the system locks up, the screen flashes a few times and remains frozen.

My Mini G4 is the same model as yours, late 2005, 1 GB ram, only 1.33 GHz and 32MB videoram.

I installed both of your images several times, did a p/r reset, but it`s always the same...

Edit: Yes, it works! Stupid me! I edited the "append=" line below the "image=/boot/vmlinux" and now everything is cool.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
@TzunamiOSX the good news is I can tell by your photos that the usb stick was created properly, so that good. The bad news, I'm not well versed with OF. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of how to decifer that will chime in.

@errorlog Ahh. I think your mistake is adding that line to the bottom of yaboot.conf. You should edit the stock "append" line that already exists (towards the middle of the conf), not add a line. The will be 2 "appends". 1 for "Linux" the other for "old". You can edit both with the params I posted in my last post.

EDIT: I should reload the page before replying. Lol
Cheers

Reactions: Appleuser201
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.