Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oofio2461

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
 Full Moon
I came across this article today on Simple Flying saying that Lufthansa is Banning Airtags in Luggage, saying that 'electronic devices in checked luggage must be completely turned off.' It's clear that Airtags help track lost luggage in Crowded Airports, but it's clear that Airlines want to hide where your luggage really is. Only a Matter of time until other airlines and UA, AA, and DAL add a rule like this. Especially when trying to find your luggage is like this:
reality.png

Basically trying to find a needle in a haystack. Link: Lufthansa Is Reportedly Banning Apple AirTags In Luggage

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Some places they reroute your luggage and being opened for “check ups”. In some countries they just take all your personal belonging with value. So yes, in some way this will be an excuse to continue the malpractises.

Reactions: Ericdjensen

bartmoss

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
Reactions: arkitect

bartmoss

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
How are they even going to enforce the ban in the first place?

Have you charged with smuggling "dangerous" items on board their plane if you use airtag data to show they lost your luggage, and/or ban you from flying with their airline.

I assume there may also be devices that can detect airtags, but the airports handle luggage outside the planes, so I doubt Lufthansa has much if any direct influence on that.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
And another source that says AirTags are not banned:

"One crucial thing the airline blog posts were missing: official confirmation from any airline.

There's no mention of any coming ban on Lufthansa's website, and none of the U.S. bloggers provided confirmation from an on-the-record Lufthansa spokesperson.

Frommer's sent a request for clarification to Lufthansa. So far, representatives from the airline have not replied.

(Update: A Lufthansa spokesperson got back to us a day after our inquiry, writing, "There is no Lufthansa directive on this topic and the German media reported it wrong.")"

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/arth...s-really-about-to-start-banning-apple-airtags

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
What about Tile? They can be just as “dangerous”.
Tile and airtags piggyback off other devices with bluetooth on, Tile devices won’t notify anyone unless you mark it as lost where as AirTags will alert nearby users that it’s “there” when the AirTags are nowhere near their owner.

I can see them getting annoyed and downright bothered when all these AirTagS start warning all these people at the airport just because.

the funny thing is tile at least offers Insurance claims for lost items upto $1,000 with a subscription plan that actively tracks, where as apple offers the active tracking free with Find My app but no insurance.

Whigu

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2022
Edit: I read comment better and my comment had nothing to give any more.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Apleeseed84

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What about Tile? They can be just as “dangerous”.
Tile's probably not an issue because not enough people use it for it to be useful in any way.

AirTags work because they piggy-back on a 1-billion strong iPhone user base, and so are useful right out of the gate. That's the power of the Apple ecosystem.

I don't understand the mentality of these airports. They would rather customers lose their luggage without any recourse or means of retrieving them, just to "save face"?!?

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
I came across this article today on Simple Flying saying that Lufthansa is Banning Airtags in Luggage, saying that 'electronic devices in checked luggage must be completely turned off.' It's clear that Airtags help track lost luggage in Crowded Airports, but it's clear that Airlines want to hide where your luggage really is. Only a Matter of time until other airlines and UA, AA, and DAL add a rule like this. Especially when trying to find your luggage is like this:
Basically trying to find a needle in a haystack. Link: Lufthansa Is Reportedly Banning Apple AirTags In Luggage

This whole thread seems based on fake and/or confusing news. See the article below:
Lufthansa says it is not banning AirTags from its flights despite tweets claiming otherwise

Last edited:

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2020
I came across this article today on Simple Flying saying that Lufthansa is Banning Airtags in Luggage, saying that 'electronic devices in checked luggage must be completely turned off.' It's clear that Airtags help track lost luggage in Crowded Airports, but it's clear that Airlines want to hide where your luggage really is. Only a Matter of time until other airlines and UA, AA, and DAL add a rule like this. Especially when trying to find your luggage is like this: View attachment 2091131

Regarding that picture with all the luggage, would AirTags really help you in finding it? When I look on my iPhone screen to check my luggage at home, it basically gives me a circular shaded area that encompasses my apartment, a few other apartments and the majority of the street outside my window. It's a pretty wide area, enough to encompass all of that baggage.

finsfanscott

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2013
Miami
Regarding that picture with all the luggage, would AirTags really help you in finding it? When I look on my iPhone screen to check my luggage at home, it basically gives me a circular shaded area that encompasses my apartment, a few other apartments and the majority of the street outside my window. It's a pretty wide area, enough to encompass all of that baggage.
Right, but it would help to know if it was in Frankfurt, London, or Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.