Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I labored and labored over the monitor choices when I bought my Studio and Studio Display this summer. It's a really beautiful display.

If I did not already have three excellent Dell P2715Q displays, I might have entertained such 🤷‍♂️

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Yeah; I already had two that I purchased (retail) for USD550 c.2019

Sourced two more pristine units via Craigslist during Covid for USD250/ea from a Startup that had fallen-upon hard times (it was really creepy to walk-into a third-floor suite devoid of everything but my heartbeat, and meet with an anti-vaxxer that merely wanted everything to go).

The Studio Display is really, really, REALLY nice. Three would be even nicer!

I decided to replace the entirety of the cornice/gutter/soffit around my house, instead, and keep the Dell's ;)

Reactions: yadmonkey

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Picked-up the Studio from the Store, yesterday.

Received the cabling, and the OWC TB->dual-DP unit this evening.

Studio booted nicely with two P2715Q's attached via DP.

Just updated to 14.1.1

Very :cool:

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Mac Studio M2 Max arrives tomorrow morning for me - was incredibly lucky to have won a decent amount on a gift card with a tech retailer here in the UK.
Lucky man! Mine arrives today but my wife is wrapping it and making me wait till Christmas morning!

Reactions: iGeek2019

SpecFoto

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
So Cal
Today Apple has a bunch of M2 Studios for sale on the refurbished site. Been watching this site for a while to get a M2 Mac Studio Max with 64GB Ram and a 1TB SSD. For the last month or so all they have had is the Ultra or the base M2 with 512GB, which having a 2019 iMac with that SSD I know is not quite large enough. Today the refurbished site has a good amount with numerous options of the M2 Mac Studio Max listed. Got a 64GB and 1TBSSD model for $2,280 or $390 off list price of $2,599. It is in stock and will be delivered on Monday.

This is my 5th purchase from the refurbished site and I see no issues buying this way. You receive a full 12 month warranty and the product comes out just like new. You can add Apple Care for an extended warranty if wanted.

Last edited:

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I also noticed the sudden availability of the M2 Max Studio in quantity on the Refurb site. Excellent news!!

Excited for your rapid delivery SpecFoto. Let us know how you like it.

SpecFoto

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
So Cal
I also noticed the sudden availability of the M2 Max Studio in quantity on the Refurb site. Excellent news!!

Excited for your rapid delivery SpecFoto. Let us know how you like it.
Apple actually sent it via overnight, at no extra charge, to the local Apple Store and I picked it up Friday morning. So far VERY impressed.

To put it to the test I transcoded, using Handbrake, some old mkv video files into 1080p mp4 format and the Mac Studio did this at an average of 140-165 FPS. Ran for about 3 hours and never heard the fans come on, the Mac Studio is dead quiet. With my 2019 27" iMac hex core I5 with 40G ram this was usually in the 40-60 FPS range, the fans ran pretty constant, and would have taken at least 8 hours. So a 3-fold increase in speed!

Last edited:

SpecFoto

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
So Cal
Awesome!

What version OS did it ship with?
It came with Sonoma 14.0, but I wiped the internal 1TB SSD clean. I use an Acasis external enclosure with a 4TB WD Black NVMe as my startup and that runs the final release of Ventura 13.6.3. It's USB4 and R/W speeds are at 2,750-2,850 MB/s range, with start-up, App openings and shutdown almost instantaneous.

I stay with the last version of the previous OS because all the issues are fixed and it just works. I find that Apple doing these yearly OS system changes is a big PITA, WAY too many issues that they could have caught with more in-house testing, but instead they now let the customers find the problems and then fix them via constant (and time consuming) updates. Maybe in Oct or Nov 2024 when the next OS is released and Sonoma is at 14.6/7/8xx I might upgrade to the final release of Sonoma, but for now I am missing nothing by being on Ventura, it just works without having any update hassles.

Last edited:

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I finally order my refurbished M2 Max 64GB 2TB. Will arrive on Friday at the Apple Store. I’m super stoked and excited. It seemed like a crazy amount of money for me, but I looked at all the alternatives and the Studio is the best bang for the buck. Can’t believe I’ll own such a powerful and compact machine soon.

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2020
I took the plunge and decided to "retire" my trusty old workhorse, a 2017 iMac 27" 5K. It's still working (with the odd glitch) but not being able to update the MacOs and having apps in the store that can't be downloaded is a signal it's time to move on.
Decided to get the M2 Max with 1TB drive..... and after a lot of research and watching reviews, also decided on the Studio display.
A big chunk of change but I am really looking forward to it.
Unfortunately the display is scheduled to arrive 6th March, and the Mac Studio between 13th and 15th. I ordered on 29th Feb..... maybe it's a leap-year slow down!!!

EDIT1 - Display arrived! Day early! It looks gorgeous!

EDIT2 - Today (7th March), 2 days after Display, Studio turned up! 6 days early! Can't wait to set it up!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.