Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
Probably 300 tabs on Chrome😂

Spot on. BUT if that is my use case, which it is. I've been a chrome addict for years, the M3 Pro runs 7-10°C cooler and possibly 1-2 hours longer battery life with 300 tabs open than the M3 Max.

I'm not about to change my habits any time soon, so it goes into my thought process for which one.

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Spot on. BUT if that is my use case, which it is. I've been a chrome addict for years, the M3 Pro runs 7-10°C cooler and possibly 1-2 hours longer battery life with 300 tabs open than the M3 Max.

I'm not about to change my habits any time soon, so it goes into my thought process for which one.
Why get a max for web browsing?

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
I've seen a lot of people on here talking about returning the M3 Max or going with the M3 Pro over the M3 Max because they want improved battery life or quieter fans. ...

M3 Max = bigger chip = whatever you do with software trickery, it will always use more battery than a smaller chip (M3 Pro)

*FYI I run the display always on 600nits, sometimes 140% that (using tools that jack up the brightness even more, because I am sitting outside). I do actual work (whatching youtube ain't), the battery nets me max 6h when the display is 140% (assuming around 1100 nits)

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Dude, chill out. I wouldn’t have posted this if I hadn’t seen people talking about it. I’m not some ****poster, I’ve been on these forums since before the iPhone launched.

So you’re really going to question if even one person has said that, including underlining it as if that’s supposed to drive your point home or something, when the person who literally posted right before you is an example of someone who is considering it?

Come on man, drop the drama. This isn’t a post I can take seriously when you tell people to “just do less demanding work” as if that’s a viable option at all whatsoever. We’re all out here, living our lives, trying to come up with solutions and pick what is best for us. I’m just trying to help the people. And it seems like you missed the whole point of my post, which was telling people they shouldn’t be concerned about battery life with the M3 Max. I ordered the 16/40 which is the top spec. Low power mode will be great for portability and travel with this chip.
I know you have been here for a long time [longer than me, and that includes my original profile that got mysteriously cancelled], so I trust what you are saying here :)
I didnt think about testing the low power mode when I was testing a the M3 max.

Good to know it means a cooler chassis - this is one of my issues with the M1 Max - gets hot on the lap, so better performance and coolness sounds great.

Reactions: macduke

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Because you have really high performance when you plug in? And on the go you have the same performance as the Pro but with more battery life? Not sure what you mean about micromanage, you just check the box to enable it on battery power and you’re done forever. Easy. If you have the money this is the way to go for sure.
You can even set up a shortcut to automatically enable low power mode when on battery - and toggle it off from the menubar as needed. Hardly micromanaging.

Reactions: macduke

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Know your use case, I suppose. If benchmarking is your use case, off you go! If portability is paramount (and who would I be to tell you whether battery life should be your primary determinant of laptop use?) then know that the M3Pro is vastly superior to the M3Max. Which shouldn’t catch anybody off guard. Personally, the fact that my M1Max has identical function whether tethered to a wall or running free is the first time I don’t feel compromised by using a laptop. But there are niggles which I don’t have on my Mac mini (they’re minimal but my character flaw is Quick to Annoy™ and laptops just spend their lives annoying me…) and I look forward to the day when I can replace my MBPro with a Mac Studio. Or not. As circumstances allow…

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
If in the low-power mode, a specific task (like decoding a raw image) becomes twice slower while the power consumption (watt) is also twice lower, doesn't the total power consumption remain the same for the task?
Power consumption varies with the square of clock speed, so probably not. If low power mode just turns off cores then still probably not, dual core did not double the speed of results due to the overhead of managing both cores.

Reactions: whwang

jmonster

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2022
I am curious about one thing.

If in the low-power mode, a specific task (like decoding a raw image) becomes twice slower while the power consumption (watt) is also twice lower, doesn't the total power consumption remain the same for the task? If this scenario is correct, then such a mode doesn't save you any battery life. It just makes things slower. If your battery time becomes longer, it must be that you consciously or unconsciously give less demanding tasks to the computer when you know it's on battery, or the OS decides to run less background tasks, or both.

I am not sure if the above is correct. It sounds too naive to me. If it's not correct, which part went wrong?
You're right in principle, but reality is that for most people, they do work in bursts. I click a link and suddenly my browser does abunch of work and moments later it's back to idling for awhile

The point only holds if you're running some big job, like video encoding, that goes from 60m to 30m, and then they turn the machine off. But for the typical user, we're talking about turning their ~3m/hour of burst activity into 6m. And the other 54m are now significantly more efficient. (illustrative numbers)

aibloop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
People wanted apple to tune high power more aggressively, they do and then everyone is up in arms about it being hotter and draining more battery.

You can’t satisfy everyone all the time. Unless maybe if low power does its job, and high power does the same?

M3 is the generation where AS hits its second wind. 3d rendering is powerful enough, nomore nvidia skew. I will likely get a M3 Max, or Ultra, which should breathe down the neck of a 4080…

Reactions: dgdosen

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
36GB/1TB, 300gb free. Yeah my M1Air was fine, I've only had it a week so maybe it's the computer settling in...? I did a new install as well, not a time machine restore.

Looking at the temps with 0 professional apps open, only google chrome, I'm idling at 51°C, which is actually comfortable, I'll turn off low power mode and see what it ramps up to.
What are the tabs in google chrome. I have seen some sites and web apps using electron make MBA run hot.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
So I have both an M3 Pro and M3 Max 18/30, that I've been testing.

I'm been debating returning the M3 Max and going with the Pro for the longer battery life.
But this Low Power mode seems interesting.

I just ran a bunch of benchmarks, it seems to turn turn everything into a "slightly" more powerful M3 Pro chip.

Export times preform as if it's 1 pro-res encoding engine, but I'm guessing both are running at 50% or something.

BUT the laptop isn't a furnace! Keyboard is very cool to the touch, and silent turning on.

My main issues with the M3 Max are it gulping battery life, normal usage was barely getting me 4 hours, but if I'm gonna run it in low power mode 99% of the time, should I just do a M3 Pro and save $400?

All are the 14"/36GB/1TB versions.

M3 Max: 12/30M3 Max:
Low Bat. Mode
M3 Pro 12/18M3 Pro 12/18:
Low Bat. Mode
Geekbench 6-Single3051190031651914
Geekbench 6-Multi19242133701560111180
Geekbench 6-Compute Metal1258941074617796275640
Geekbench 6-Compute OpenCL76709691995003249375
Cinebench 2024 - GPU9735785863305730
Cinebench 2024 - CPU Multi131610021060808
Cinebench 2024 - CPU Single1398113990
3D Mark Wildlife Gaming Test145788775
(5 min) Premiere Pro:
XDCAM Render > ProRes 422HQ
0:511:371:461:44
(5 min) Premiere Pro:
Export ProRes 422HQ Using Previews
0:270:290:280:28
What are you doing that is making the battery last 4 hours?

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Doesn't the screen go down to 60hz in low power mode? Then I could just as well buy an MBA.

I buy the iPhone Pro and the Macbook Pro for the 120hz. Not for some fancy CPU or camera.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
People wanted apple to tune high power more aggressively, they do and then everyone is up in arms about it being hotter and draining more battery.

You can’t satisfy everyone all the time. Unless maybe if low power does its job, and high power does the same?

M3 is the generation where AS hits its second wind. 3d rendering is powerful enough, nomore nvidia skew. I will likely get a M3 Max, or Ultra, which should breathe down the neck of a 4080…
We’re not talking about high power mode, which is good when needed. We’re talking about how the M3 Max variant seems to use more juice in normal mode vs. the M3 Pro variant this generation (which makes sense looking at the performance figures), but low power mode seems significantly better, so using that when on battery only seems like it would put aside a lot of people’s concerns with this Max variant. Although considering the M3 Pro performance is so close to the M2 Pro, I’m curious how long that 3nm chip can run on low power mode comparatively?

Doesn't the screen go down to 60hz in low power mode? Then I could just as well buy an MBA.

I buy the iPhone Pro and the Macbook Pro for the 120hz. Not for some fancy CPU or camera.
I’m curious to see if I can tinker with the settings in terminal to make it run at 120Hz when enabled on battery automatically, but I’m completely new to Apple Silicon with this upgrade and mine hasn’t arrived yet.

Even if it doesn’t, I’ve only had 120Hz on my iPad and iPhone Pro and honestly it doesn’t make a big difference to me. When docked it’s going to be used with 60Hz displays, and 120Hz never made as big of an impact on me as moving to retina displays did, and honestly not even close to the OLED/MiniLED upgrade. Sure, I can tell a difference, but it’s not significant to me personally for whatever reason. I’m the type to notice resolution and accurate color reproduction and contrast, having gone to college for and worked in design and photography jobs. I’m also used to console gaming which is 60fps if you’re lucky, often lower.

Reactions: ikir

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
I will never get tired of their 'maniacal Tim Cook' thumbnails. If there is any possible way of making him look evil they will do it.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
In Notebookcheck.net tests, the 14” M3 Max (40 core GPU config) has longer run times on playing a h.264 video and on their web surfing test than both the 14” M1 Max (no surprise) and 14” M2 Pro entry level (surprised me). I don’t think that they did these tests using low power mode. So, M3 Max chip does pretty well in terms of battery run time.

View attachment 2320157
These are actual facts... users here just want to whine.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
For most people, the delay is from the brain to the computer, and not actions that the computer does itself (i.e. rendering or compiling). If a person is using the MacBook Pro for mostly rendering, turning on low power mode will double the amount of time required to render (and logically shouldn't be used on low power mode). However, if a person has to complete some forms to justify a travel expense after that, low power mode should be used, since most of the time would be used to think of the words to use.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
For most people, the delay is from the brain to the computer, and not actions that the computer does itself (i.e. rendering or compiling). If a person is using the MacBook Pro for mostly rendering, turning on low power mode will double the amount of time required to render (and logically shouldn't be used on low power mode). However, if a person has to complete some forms to justify a travel expense after that, low power mode should be used, since most of the time would be used to think of the words to use.
For this kind of stuff automatic is fine.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I ran my M2 Max on Low Power Mode a lot of the time, to get better battery life and also to try and keep the laptop running cooler as it got warm in normal mode regardless of what I was doing.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Something is wrong. My m3 max 14” 16/40 runs cool when just surfing etc.
The base of both 14" Max laptops I've used would always get warmer than an equivalent Pro-chip laptop when just doing basic stuff. Not uncomfortably-so, but just noticeably warmer.

Reactions: kzly and hacky

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
My main issues with the M3 Max are it gulping battery life, normal usage was barely getting me 4 hours, but if I'm gonna run it in low power mode 99% of the time, should I just do a M3 Pro and save $400?
This! If you don't need M3 Max's added performance over the M3 Pro, then it really does not make sense to buy it. It's more expensive and less power efficient than M3 Pro when comparing them both low power mode off.

And if you're gonna to use it on low power mode all the time - what's the point? Just get M3 Pro which you can use even without low power mode and still get better battery runtime than M3 Max without low power mode. In normal usage scenario.

Reactions: kzly

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
For me when I’m docked to my 27” I have it on high power mode. When I’m on battery I use low power mode or automatic. Works great for me this way. Everyone’s use case is different.

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
The base of both 14" Max laptops I've used would always get warmer than an equivalent Pro-chip laptop when just doing basic stuff. Not uncomfortably-so, but just noticeably warmer.
A lot of that is due to the design....I still think it's a mistake and a waste to run a Max chip in the 14" chassis. Fan noise is much worse and you have to deal with way more thermal throttling, which takes away from the entire point of having the full chip to begin with.

squampy

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2023
For me when I’m docked to my 27” I have it on high power mode. When I’m on battery I use low power mode or automatic. Works great for me this way. Everyone’s use case is different.
Same here. Best of both worlds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.