Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
Duuuuude, I want to put a "Type-R" sticker on my Power Mac! Then a "Nos" sticker... you think those'll boost the power enough

LOL, ME TOO!

I want a big powered by ---- sticker. Doesnt matter what, just powered by something.

Oh, oh, and a sticker on it advertising something it doesnt have! Mabe some form of linux sticker, A little potrait of Tux would fit the bill! Stuck right becide the bluetooth sticker, a usb 2 sticker, and the Powered by (fill-in-the-blank) sticker!

And while were at it, a IBM inside sticker!

PaisanoMan

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Originally posted by DamnDJ
Since when is Apple concerned about standards? :D

And I think the GeForce FX will be the first (and last) cards to take up dual slots. The new GeForce's will not have this. Pretty much a non-issue.

They are not nearly the first -- many workstation cards (i.e. higher-end CAD, DCC boards) and server cards (i.e. telephony) take up more than one slot.

Macs have not traditionally been used in these markets, but I think it's very naive to think Apple could just "innovate" and disregard a standard as ubiquitous and widespread as PCI*. Apple relies on cross-platform standards to stay competitive with Windows.

(*Again, I'm not certain that the size and position of the slots are part of the spec, which was my original question.)

yossele

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
Bobov
"There is no "G5" shown on the outer hull, just PowerMacintosh 970. The Computers are there is two versions. Grey plastic with Aluminium or white plastic with Aluminium. The grey version has got the grill optic (grey stripes), the white is completely white, no structure".

Check out this link it cofirms the above specs:

http://www.fullpoint.com/listinoApple.html

Check out the last 2 lines!!!????

soggywulf

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by PaisanoMan
They are not nearly the first -- many workstation cards (i.e. higher-end CAD, DCC boards) and server cards (i.e. telephony) take up more than one slot.

Absolutely. The slots had _better_ not be diagonal. Especially since it would cause us to miss the FX card (which we don't even have yet, let alone future geforces). And I don't see why "dual-slot" (not on the mobo of course, just the phys dims) AGP cards shouldn't becaome _more_ prevalent, given that more power = more clockspeeds = more heatsinks for any given chip.

Diagonal slots--what a useless thing to do. It doesn't make anything thinner, since you are limited by the width of the superdrive anyway. That's the thing that most convinces me that this is a hoax, which is too bad since there's some other good stuff there.

mykuki

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
berlin
Originally posted by yossele
"There is no "G5" shown on the outer hull, just PowerMacintosh 970. The Computers are there is two versions. Grey plastic with Aluminium or white plastic with Aluminium. The grey version has got the grill optic (grey stripes), the white is completely white, no structure".

Check out this link it cofirms the above specs:

http://www.fullpoint.com/listinoApple.html

Check out the last 2 lines!!!????

mmh... G5 and 970 side by side?
did anyone think of that as a possibility?

i'm not very much into this processor names thing, but i guess the G5 might actually just be a new G4. please correct me if i'm wrong. :rolleyes:

on the other hand, why are both powermacs listed as IBM/Motorola? Not very convincing.

and by the way: fullpoint.com doesn't seem to have that much of a tight connection to apple.

FNAC, Gravis and Cancom at least do have.

Ahh, i just don't know.:confused:

and i just shouldn't care either. so much to do for me, and i keep reading f*# rumors. grr :mad:

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by soggywulf
Diagonal slots--what a useless thing to do. It doesn't make anything thinner, since you are limited by the width of the superdrive anyway. That's the thing that most convinces me that this is a hoax, which is too bad since there's some other good stuff there.

Don't get too much into it... the original text says ... , sowie 4 schräg !!! angeordnete Blechverkeidungen für die PCI-Steckplätze....

Schräg doesn't mean diagonal, it means inclined. The guy also didn't say anything specific about how that looks like, just that the metal covers of the PCI-slots are inclined. So my guess is, that the cards sit in perfect 90° on the board, but that maybe the board itself is not in an 90° angle to the case. That makes your point pointless ;) since it wouldn't have any effect like you described above.

groovebuster

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
I guess you mean this one:

ppc970_skizze.jpg

Kal-EL

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2002
Upstate NY
Monday's announcement

Along with the Power Mac 970's being released on Monday, I have it from a very reliable source that Apple is announcing plans to acquire Microsoft.:D

soggywulf

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by groovebuster
So my guess is, that the cards sit in perfect 90° on the board, but that maybe the board itself is not in an 90° angle to the case.

Yeah, that'd be fine. I don't see the point of inclining a motherboard (except style points, of course), but as long as they do it in a non-stupid fashion I have no probs with it. I just want my damn FX. :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
fullpoint = ROFL

Very trustworthy site, yay let's trust a site doesn't even know the price of the current Macs let alone what machines are shipping now. :rolleyes:

gralem

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2002
Re: Gralem, take your medication!

Originally posted by toekook
What's with this Gralem guy? Why is he so agressive? Can't he join the US-army and go shoot some foreigners in some godforsaken oilrich country while his president covers him? No offence intented;-)

Not everything from the US is better, faster or bigger. It might come as a shock to you, but OUTSIDE of the US sometimes things happen too.

But anyway, on Monday the truth will be reveiled.

Don't forget to take your Retalin, Gralem if things turn out to be true.......

PLEASE STOP ATTACKING ME! It's not a US/non-US. It is an Apple Store, non Apple Store issue. No Apple Store in .de, no boxes in .de.

---gralem

dietsoda

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Bath, UK
Apple Stores are (almost?) exclusively limited to the US, so I think the point being made is that in europe where we don't have Apple Stores, it would make sense that Apple would have shipped to the leading Apple Affiliated chains.

Cetainally the fact that the invite only Berlin event is taking place suggests that Apple are looking for an international launch with whatever they're gonna do, so it would make sense to distribute ready for that event.

I just wish I'd hear one of these 'secret box' rumours from here in the UK! :)

thedrumone

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA USA
more like it

this sounds so much more like the real deal, even if it is made up. that "photo" we've alll seen can't be real. i'm at least hoping this story is closer to what we'll see...can't wait.

-----------
G4 933 QS, 60&80 drives, 1.25RAM, Superdrive, Latest X

Kal-EL

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2002
Upstate NY
Re: Re: Gralem, take your medication!

Originally posted by gralem
PLEASE STOP ATTACKING ME! It's not a US/non-US. It is an Apple Store, non Apple Store issue. No Apple Store in .de, no boxes in .de.

---gralem

Why are you so convinced that any Monday product announcements will be available in Apple Stores and only Apple Stores? Forget about Germany for a minute, what about all of the American Pro Mac users that would make immediate purchases were they available, that live hundreds of miles away from the nearest Apple Store but within 10 minutes of a CompUSA? You think Apple's going to snub them too come Monday?:confused:

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Re: Re: Re: Gralem, take your medication!

Originally posted by Kal-EL
Why are you so convinced that any Monday product announcements will be available in Apple Stores and only Apple Stores? Forget about Germany for a minute, what about all of the American Pro Mac users that would make immediate purchases were they available, that live hundreds of miles away from the nearest Apple Store but within 10 minutes of a CompUSA? You think Apple's going to snub them too come Monday?:confused:

In a word "YES".

If they really want it ASAP they can either drive to an AppleStore or order online.

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
I kind of doubt they would just forget about CompUSA and all the other places. I live about 1.5 hours away from an Apple store, I would think Apple would send the other places the computers too.

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Originally posted by MetallicPenguin
I kind of doubt they would just forget about CompUSA and all the other places. I live about 1.5 hours away from an Apple store, I would think Apple would send the other places the computers too.

Well you can think what you want, but my Local CompUSA is still selling the 800mHz 17" iMac as the latest model for $1799, so I don't put alot of faith in them having the latest stuff. The whole point of Apple opening their own line of stores was to have a place to showcase the latest and greatest. CompUSA has a very bad record of being knowledgeable and up to date.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by JBracy
Well you can think what you want, but my Local CompUSA is still selling the 800mHz 17" iMac as the latest model for $1799, so I don't put alot of faith in them having the latest stuff. The whole point of Apple opening their own line of stores was to have a place to showcase the latest and greatest. CompUSA has a very bad record of being knowledgeable and up to date.

Yes, but now with the "Apple Store within a Store" (or ASS for short ;)), and Apple employees doing the selling, that should no longer be the case.

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Yes, but now with the "Apple Store within a Store" (or ASS for short ;)), and Apple employees doing the selling, that should no longer be the case.

Well it was the case last week when I went in. Maybe the fact that there are 2 Apple Stores within 5 miles has something to do with it!

awinn233

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2003
FL
Re: Mac-Life.de - PowerMac Boxes Opened?

How would this person be able to tell the difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0? Don't they look the same? It's fake.

Kal-EL

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2002
Upstate NY
Re: Re: Mac-Life.de - PowerMac Boxes Opened?

Originally posted by awinn233
How would this person be able to tell the difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0? Don't they look the same? It's fake.

Perhaps he read the specs off the side of the box. They're usually there, as well as a picture of the product.

Sublime

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
LBC
Powermac Wedge

The inclined pci slots can only mean one thing.

The Powermac Wedge 970.

A simple machine. Can also be used as a fulcrum with the Lever option.

Lever not included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.