Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
The main issue is with the USB-A port on the far edge of the computer, it is apparently on the same bus as the Bluetooth transceiver and, when a device is connected to that port, causes the Bluetooth to flake out.
I've tried leaving that port empty but it makes no difference. As soon as i plug in the HD, WiFi is completely gone and BT is pretty bad. Doesn't matter which port i plug the HD into, USB-3 or USB-C. I've been plugging the HD into a USB port on my Apple display today and it actually seems to be working ok. This display is connected to the MacMini via the inner USB-3 port. This isn't convenient for me though, so i'd prefer have a HD that can connect directly to the MacMini.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I have ben having the same problem with a late 2012 mini, so this is not a new issue.
My suggestion would be to get yourselves a BT USB dongle (£5/$5) and stop worrying about it.

Reactions: MBAir2010

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
I have ben having the same problem with a late 2012 mini, so this is not a new issue.
My suggestion would be to get yourselves a BT USB dongle (£5/$5) and stop worrying about it.

Using a precious USB port when there are so few, makes little sense.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Using a precious USB port when there are so few, makes little sense.

My monitor works as a USB hub, which is connected to another USB3 hub.
For the majority of usb devices, transmission speeds are not an issue so I have cascading hubs all connected to the same USB port. The only devices using dedicated ports are my external drives.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
Sorry, but having to use a BT USB dongle isn't acceptable. I know it's only £5 but i shouldn't have to do it. I'd sell the MacMini sooner than buy something that should work properly on it in the first place.

Jenzbullets

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
Just some feedback on my situation.

Whilst I haven’t seen any Bluetooth issues I have had WiFi issues. My Mac mini refuses to see a 2.4ghz or 5ghz WiFi connection. Whereas my hp laptop, iPhone and iPad see it perfectly.

To fix I had to physically remove the usb 3 connection on the edge of the mini and move my cal digit ts3+ with connected usb hdd’s 6 inches or more away from my mini.

Now it sees both WiFi connections

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I got bit by the BT issue today for the first time. I had 4 USB drives (2 on USB-A and 2 on USB-C ports) attached to my new Mac Mini i3 and after a while, both the keyboard and trackpad stopped responding. I was able to get the trackpad working again by connecting with the lightning cable, but the keyboard wouldn’t even after connecting with lightning cable so had to restart the computer to connect. Don’t know what triggered it since it was working ok for a while before it happened.

inmnbob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Chicago and Twin Cities
My BT issue has seemed to go away now. Not sure exactly what i did that caused the system to work better but I had it placed under the monitor which was on a glass stand and it was a horrible connection. Moved the MacMini out from under the monitor and placed it on its side and now i have a great connection. No lock ups and the mouse has been working . I can even use my EarPods which I have never done. I spent a lot of time on this and replacing hubs etc finally to get this to work. Hope the rest of you find the right combination

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
I was having the BT drop out for my Magic Trackpad a couple of times a week. However, a week ago I rearranged things and left the outermost USB-A port unplugged. Haven't had a dropout since.

tencentcat

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2003
Denton, Texas
I just bought a new 2018 6C Mac mini and immediately had this issue. I received a replacement a few days later that’s exactly the same. This is with original Magic keyboard and mouse. Has Apple not acknowledged the issue at all? The mini seemed like a great choice for audio work, but now I’m considering going back to the year 2012.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I wonder if the problem is a compatibility issue with the Apple keyboards and mice? I like my current setup of a USB wired keyboard and MS Bluetooth mouse. I'm considering the Apple Trackpad just because I like the gestures but I don't want connection issues. I guess I could return it if there are problems.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
I just bought a new 2018 6C Mac mini and immediately had this issue. I received a replacement a few days later that’s exactly the same. This is with original Magic keyboard and mouse. Has Apple not acknowledged the issue at all? The mini seemed like a great choice for audio work, but now I’m considering going back to the year 2012.
I would return the mini until this is fixed. No point spending your hard earned money on a flawed product

glazball

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2017

I don't disagree that your setup should work, but like Russel_314 suggested: perhaps it could be a problem with your keyboard and mouse. I've noticed several people in this thread complaining of BT issues are using the older Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 1, not the newer extended Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
I don't disagree that your setup should work, but like Russel_314 suggested: perhaps it could be a problem with your keyboard and mouse. I've noticed several people in this thread complaining of BT issues are using the older Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 1, not the newer extended Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2.

I have a new Space Gray Magic Keyboard and Trackpad 2 and still had BT issues. Not using the outermost USB-A port seems to have solved it so far.

ReDRuMx

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2019
My monitor works as a USB hub, which is connected to another USB3 hub.
For the majority of usb devices, transmission speeds are not an issue so I have cascading hubs all connected to the same USB port. The only devices using dedicated ports are my external drives.

Do you manually switch Bluetooth devices after each reboot?

+ Has anyone found a way to keep the BT dongle in use after a reboot?

Last edited:

airbatross

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Sydney, AU

I'm sorry but I had the same problem before returning my Mac Mini; and the fact that the same magic mouse and keyboard works absolutely fine with a 3 year old Dell PC was a proof that the Mini was flawed.

If you're suggesting that Apple would not fully support his own hardware, then there's a bigger issue here :)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
The mac mini is a nice shiny cute little computer that can pack a punch while taking up less space.
their are some downfalls like horrible UBS and bluetooth issues because the components are too close together.
this is a sacrifice for using such a small computer and a problem i dealt with from 2012 to early 2019.
using a bluetooth keyboard form a 3rd party company had it's problem on newer OSXs staring with sierra. if you do have a mini i would advice on buying accessories from that company because they work better.
still a great computer considering the size and aluminum casing, which like any metal is not great for wireless connectivity.
[doublepost=1559299908][/doublepost]another solution to suing the macmini wirelessly was to remove the computer from any metal beacue that will interfere with the connection. i know this from experience. hope these tips help!

futurevibe

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
I'm using a wired EditorsKeys keyboard and a Magic Mouse 2 and i have these issues. The problem has to be something to do with USB-3 because everything works fine for me until i plug in a USB-3 HD.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
futurevibe wrote:
"Sorry, but having to use a BT USB dongle isn't acceptable. I know it's only £5 but i shouldn't have to do it. I'd sell the MacMini sooner than buy something that should work properly on it in the first place."

Well, you'd better put up that "for sale" sign, because I predict that bluetooth and wifi on the 2018 Mini are "as fixed as they're ever gonna be".

Bluetooth is an inherently weak-signal technology to begin with.
I don't use it at all...

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I don't use it at all...
i have noticed a much stronger blue tooth experience on the dell xps than anything mac i owned.
the dell is asking my ipad, mbair to join the party whereas they are simply refusing.

futurevibe

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
futurevibe wrote:
"Sorry, but having to use a BT USB dongle isn't acceptable. I know it's only £5 but i shouldn't have to do it. I'd sell the MacMini sooner than buy something that should work properly on it in the first place."

Well, you'd better put up that "for sale" sign, because I predict that bluetooth and wifi on the 2018 Mini are "as fixed as they're ever gonna be".

I don't use it at all...
If i can have perfect BT and WiFi signals on my iPhone, i don't see why i shouldn't expect it on a MacMini.

glazball

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2017
Has anyone had success using 2 BT video game controllers at the same time on the Mini? I bought 2 new Dualshock 4 (PS4) controllers to use with emulation - both are paired with the Mini but I cannot get both to connect at the same time via BT.

If I have one connected and try to connect the other, it will disconnect the first or just not connect. To troubleshoot, I tried connecting a Dualshock 3 (PS3) as controller #2 (instead of another PS4 controller) and it just won't connect via BT at all unless I disconnect controller #1 first. I'm stumped and I'm unsure if it's a Mac issue, a Mini issue, or an issue with one of my controllers (unlikely, they are brand new).

If one or both are plugged in via USB, it works fine but I was hoping to do some co-op on the couch with my stepson. Not a major issue, but a little frustrating.

Update: I did some testing with the Mini this weekend, and I was completely unable to connect 2 Bluetooth controllers at the same time. However, I had no problem connecting both (at the same time) with my 2017 iMac so the problem seems exclusive to the Mini.

Last edited:

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
A lot of posts here about BT Dongles, but I have one (ASUS USB-BT400 which is supposedly on the supported-list for the Handoff function) and I haven't gotten it to work with my Mac Mini 2018. So if someone's planning to buy a BT dongle, I for one can't vouch for that it's going to work.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
A lot of posts here about BT Dongles, but I have one (ASUS USB-BT400 which is supposedly on the supported-list for the Handoff function) and I haven't gotten it to work with my Mac Mini 2018. So if someone's planning to buy a BT dongle, I for one can't vouch for that it's going to work.

You have activated it with the Bluetooth Explorer App?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.