Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
The hundreds of posts here have pretty much convinced me to explore iMac options. Guess that explains the sudden surge in Minis in the refurb section. Disappointing.

Reactions: baddj

baddj

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
The hundreds of posts here have pretty much convinced me to explore iMac options. Guess that explains the sudden surge in Minis in the refurb section. Disappointing.

I'm almost the same but I was going to get one to upgrade from my base model nTB 2016 MacBook Pro. really wanted to spec out a mini but after reading this thread I'm now looking at other options.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand

Oddly, in the last little while (several weeks at least) I haven't had any issues with mine for BT, and that's with the USB3 cable to the hub in my monitor plugged into the "outside" USB-A slot (and a USB-2.0 cable to the UPS on the "inner" slot). It's a pretty chunky Dell USB cable, if it's not shielded I can't imagine why else its so thick.

baddj

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
I'm almost the same but I was going to get one to upgrade from my base model nTB 2016 MacBook Pro. really wanted to spec out a mini but after reading this thread I'm now looking at other options.

I ended up changing my mind and ordered one will give it ago if its more trouble then its worth I'll send it back.

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
You have activated it with the Bluetooth Explorer App?

I think so, I have the application and tried to follow the instructions to use it. When I option-click the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, it shows the MAC id of the BT Dongle (different from that of the native BT module). It can "see" my Bluetooth units in the menu, but I haven't been able to successfully connect/use anything, e.g. my Magic Keyboard or AirPods.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Today, I sadly saw the Bluetooth and the WiFi drop out issues on the base Mini on display at the 5th Avenue store. It was connected to the new Ultrafine 23” monitor.:(

As troubling, the 21.5” iMacs around the Mini also had no WiFi connection. :( :confused: :(

I so wanted a Mini, but these issues have pushed me away too.

mavots

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
I have read through this entire thread and I don't even own a 2018 Mac Mini.

I am considering one to replace my aging 2010 MacPro 5,1. Been reading the Mac Mini threads, mostly about eGPUs, and then saw this.
As a Mac Pro user, this BT issue sounds very familiar. We have similar issues with Mac Pros. It's tough to get a BT (or WiFi) signal through an aluminum box.
One of the culprits for us has been plugging in USB3 PCIe cards. USB3 frequency is the same as BT. They wreak havoc on the BT signal, especially if they are used in slots 2 or 3. Not so bad in slot 4.

So after reading through all this, I would not be surprised if the internal USB3 bus is doing the same thing in the new Mac Minis. This is of big concern and I can sense it from reading all your responses. I think I'll put on hold the idea of purchasing a new Mac Mini. I might have to sell my car and buy the new Mac Pro (not a fan of the iMac's screen)!

Note; Has anyone here tried using snap-on ferrite cores on their USB3 cables? They may limit the cable from becoming an USB3 antenna.

Last edited:

futurevibe

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2010
I have read through this entire thread and I don't even own a 2018 Mac Mini.

I am considering one to replace my aging 2010 MacPro 5,1. Been reading the Mac Mini threads, mostly about eGPUs, and then saw this.
As a Mac Pro user, this BT issue sounds very familiar. We have similar issues with Mac Pros. It's tough to get a BT (or WiFi) signal through an aluminum box.
One of the culprits for us has been plugging in USB3 PCIe cards. USB3 frequency is the same as BT. They wreak havoc on the BT signal, especially if they are used in slots 2 or 3. Not so bad in slot 4.

So after reading through all this, I would not be surprised if the internal USB3 bus is doing the same thing in the new Mac Minis. This is of big concern and I can sense it from reading all your responses. I think I'll put on hold the idea of purchasing a new Mac Mini. I might have to sell my car and buy the new Mac Pro (not a fan of the iMac's screen)!

Note; Has anyone here tried using snap-on ferrite cores on their USB3 cables? They may limit the cable from becoming an USB3 antenna.
I had the same MacPro and i never had any BT issues. I didn't have a USB3 PCIe card though so i think you might be right. I only have problems with my MacMini when i plug in a USB3 hard drive. My AirPods would stay connected with the MacPro even when i go well outside the house. I can't get to the bedroom door without them disconnecting from the MacMini.

Also, there's a lot of people having problems with the Magic Trackpad 2. I couldn't see how this would be any worse than the Magic Mouse but it definitely is. I bought one 2 weeks ago and it disconnects at least 5 or 6 times a day. Also, i fully charged it before using it and i've already had to charge it again yesterday.

Reactions: mavots

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Also, i fully charged it before using it and i've already had to charge it again yesterday.

I've been using one for a few months. I charge it when the battery reaches 50%, which is about 6 days. It should last a lot longer than that if the battery is supposed to last 1-2 months (according to Apple).

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just to add my experience and help offset some of the (justifiable) doom and gloom.

I initially experienced a few WiFi issues out of the box on my Mini (purchased end of May 2019), along with a couple of T2 bridge crashes. I was ready to send it back at one point, but decided to evaluate it further before doing so. My Mini has been rock solid since and I have had no WiFi disconnects and my bluetooth seems to be working without issue as well (bluetooth mouse, speaker and Apple Watch unlock). I really like this Mini, seems to be a great performer, and I have decided not to return it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavots

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Also, there's a lot of people having problems with the Magic Trackpad 2. I couldn't see how this would be any worse than the Magic Mouse but it definitely is. I bought one 2 weeks ago and it disconnects at least 5 or 6 times a day. Also, i fully charged it before using it and i've already had to charge it again yesterday.

Yes had same experience here. The trackpad would often report very low or no battery when it never would have before. Wasn't sure if bad reading from MM or actual battery drain with limited testing I did at the time. Disconnects were happening with only monitor connected as well (usb-c video, usb2 rated data) no multiple USB connects like some report.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Nope. I moved the mini from the right side of the TV to the left. Then no more issues.

However the maid came last week and cleaned behind the TV console and now it’s worst than before. I’m currently traveling so I’ll check when I’m back home. Sometimes when I unplug for several days the devices it works again, magically.

Reactions: TVreporter

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Okay, just noticed that my USB keyboard has a USB port at either end. So I plugged a USB bluetooth dongle into the USB connector on the end of the keyboard closest to the mouse, about 6" away. About 3' away from the mac. Switched the mac to use that bluetooth source, and now I can have my USB 3.0 hub connected to the mac mini, no problems with the mouse.

Just that easy *smile*. Although I have to say, this is the first desktop computer that I've had that's had this problem...but I suppose that weird things can happen with a small form-factor computer like the mac mini. Should have been remedied before these were in customer hands.
Has this resolved the issue? If so what USB BT dongle do you use?

baddj

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
I just had bluetooth die on me twice now in 2 days now,

monitor plugged in using USB-C to DP, Headphones plugged into the headphone plug nothing else plugged in the mouse and keyboard just stopping doing things, the bluetooth icon next to the clock shows stuff is still connected I just keep moving my mouse around and it will all come good after 1-2 minuets.

socracheez

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2019
This was driving me insane it was getting so bad my mouse would either connect and disconnect or lag like crazy. Switching the mouse on and off fixes it temporarily and is quicker than waiting for it to sort itself out but not a long term fix.
This got to a point where it was happening probably every 10 minutes.
I switched the Mac Mini to use the 5GHZ Wifi band and have had zero problems in about a week now.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I'm thinking of getting a MM but wanted to check in with you guys about the bluetooth issues. I don't need WIFI as I have ethernet, does disabling WIFI give a reliable bluetooth experience?

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Is this widespread?

I was thinking of buying a 2018 Mac Mini.

Let's ask it this way: is there anyone who doesn't have this issue?

I really don't know, but given the amount of posts maybe all the Mac Mini 2018 have this issue? If not, I will certainly need to replace my unit!
[doublepost=1562069644][/doublepost]
I'm thinking of getting a MM but wanted to check in with you guys about the bluetooth issues. I don't need WIFI as I have ethernet, does disabling WIFI give a reliable bluetooth experience?

Nope, not in my experience. I use only Ethernet and still have the Bluetooth issues. But above there is someone saying that switching the Mac Mini to use only 5 GHz band will help. May just be a coincidence.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I received my MM today and running keyboard, mouse and headphones off bluetooth, no issue so far touch wood.

baddj

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
Nope, not in my experience. I use only Ethernet and still have the Bluetooth issues. But above there is someone saying that switching the Mac Mini to use only 5 GHz band will help. May just be a coincidence.

I use Ethernet and WiFi (so unlock with watch works) and I no longer have issues once I made a dedicated 5Ghz wifi SSID my bluetooth issues went away knock on wood.

I found the Mac mini kept giving preference to 2.4Ghz once the mini went to sleep and waking up on WiFi networks that had the 5/2.4Ghz as one SSID.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Let's ask it this way: is there anyone who doesn't have this issue?

I really don't know, but given the amount of posts maybe all the Mac Mini 2018 have this issue? If not, I will certainly need to replace my unit!
[doublepost=1562069644][/doublepost]

Default set up i5/8gb ram - 6 months - only problem BT headphones from Sony fail to connect.
Trackpad/Keyboard/other make earphones/camera all No problem. The Sony earphones connect to both our phones and my MacPro.
Checked Sony website - no response to question - Apple have no answer as individual non connections could be anything - however gave me list of try this stuff - gave up and bought usb-c dongle for them.

cloudnoize

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2015
Burbank, CA
Like many of you, I'm also having issues with mouse lag and I've tried everything to solve the issue using the internal MM2018 bluetooth... I've tried & moved several 3.0 & 2.0 hubs, moved external SSD enclosures, unplugged everything, you name it... So after reading this thread, it seems many of you have had much success with an external BT dongle so I purchased a IOGear GBU-521 4.0 BT dongle and a 6FT 3.0 Extension Cable. I ran Bluetooth Explorer, located the dongle and made it Active, then used the Terminal command sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always, and rebooted.

My problem is, after the MM is booted up, it doesn't see the dongle... as if BT is Off but it isn't. Using a USB mouse, I have to locate the Mac's Bluetooth Prefs, remove both Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Keyboard, connect with them again and all goes well but it may take a couple times before I succeed.

Anyone have any ideas as to why I can't connect to the dongle, immediately after booting up?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.