Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloudnoize

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2015
Burbank, CA
Last time I used Bluetooth Explorer the notes said:
“Bluetooth Explorer states the selection you make only lasts until reboot.”

Yes I understand this but it seems others have been successful in having the dongle be their primary target when booting up. This should actually be an easy set up but it really isn't.

mashmosher

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
In our case, this is the first mini we add to our fleet of 2012 era models, having skipped the useless 2013 minis. We would have gotten a few mac pros instead eons ago if they'd have replaced the trashcan by now, but decided on this new mini after the Mac Pro was unveiled, given how useless it would be for us (only can use Apple-approved internals etc and can't ues the graphics cards we need etc.)
All to say, this mini HAD to work if we were to stay with Mac. It freaking doesn't. The fanboys in this thread saying just get a dongle, just get a non-Apple BT mouse or keyboard, do you realize what you're saying? It all confirms that this Mini just won't work out of the box.
We've tried all the things mentioned and can mostly not have wifi issues if we keep all USB and USB C unplugged as much as possible. This is BS -- what other computer maker sells computers with ports that you should avoid using? Esp a computer that is so under-speced (128gb in a desktop??? in 2019???) that every single port is extra important.
Fail, fail, fail, how else to put it? The mac laptops now all have broken - recalled keyboards, the iMacs are toys for kids IMO, the "mac pro" appears designed for a specific single use (high end video editing)...

Unless I read of a permanent fix to this Mac Mini wifi and BT issue, we'll be preparing to return it and hold our noses and go back to computers that accommodate our needs, ie other brands, sadly.

cloudnoize

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2015
Burbank, CA
The fanboys in this thread saying just get a dongle, just get a non-Apple BT mouse or keyboard, do you realize what you're saying? It all confirms that this Mini just won't work out of the box.

You're absolutely right. The mini doesn't quite work out of the box but I would prefer to invest in a $15 dongle, and get on with my work than have to bring it back and rethink what else is there for me to use. I'm not a PC guy so within my budget, the i7 6 Core 3.2Ghz mini was the best value. Other than the bluetooth issue, It's a great little unit.

Now, if I can only get bluetooth to see the dongle, every time I boot up, I'd be a happier camper.

bdbolin

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Confirmed that the trackpad will not work (stuttering/disconnecting/connecting) if you are connected to 2.4ghz WiFi. Took months to figure it out with calls to Apple! Switched to 5ghz or turn it off entirely and it'll all work fine!

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Texas
Anybody here running the MacOS beta on their mini? Wondering if maybe hopefully fingers crossed Apple addressed the issue in the new OS (assuming it can be via software only)

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Unfortunately, I think it’s HW related.

I finally found what was the problem my external HDD plugged to the USB-A port. I removed it and now using a dongle with one of the USB-c and after a week no interférences detected.

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I agree but Apple will say it’s because the USB cable of my HDD is not “shielded”.

Yeah, people say silly things.

For one, that would have to be some serious EMI/EFM interference to disrupt a digital signal (USB uses a digital signal). No, this is not an analog signal (where a poor ground even comes into play).

Secondly, I thought you said the USB device and cable ... works fine on a different machine.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
It is a shielding issue. It's a known thing that USB3 causes interference for Bluetooth. Normally there's more shielding in the computer itself. It's not really clear why that isn't the case with the 2018 Mac mini.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Apparently the 2012 (I think? Maybe 2014) model had a similar issue and OWC sold a little shielding kit you could install in the mini.

I’ve got a usb2 UPS cable plugged into one of the A ports and a Usb3 cable to my dell monitor’s hub, and very rarely have issues now. The dell cable is noticeably thicker than some others and has the magnetic shielding rings on it too.

I bought a pack of the magnetic shields online, I’ll try on a usb3 cable with an SSD soon, to see if it makes any difference.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
@Tesla1856 made a point: the HDD, I think works on other computer. I will have to double check. However I can check only on a MacBook Pro 2018 with dongle & USB-c.

But if that is the case, it would mean that the culprit is definitely the mini with a serious design flaw.

When I was with Apple Support, they told my Philips Hue bridge was the culprit. It is true it is using 2,4 GHz frequency. So I totally unplugged it.

I plugged it again recently and still no issue.

adicembre

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2019
@Tesla1856 made a point: the HDD, I think works on other computer. I will have to double check. However I can check only on a MacBook Pro 2018 with dongle & USB-c.

But if that is the case, it would mean that the culprit is definitely the mini with a serious design flaw.

When I was with Apple Support, they told my Philips Hue bridge was the culprit. It is true it is using 2,4 GHz frequency. So I totally unplugged it.

I plugged it again recently and still no issue.

I have read through the entire thread. I have a late 2012 Mac mini and have the issue. The issue has become worse more recently (dropout and constant lag).

I’ve tried:
- unplugging all of my usb cables
- moving the Mac mini around
- reset Bluetooth devices
- reset pram
-made sure WiFi is on 5g

After reading the thread, I thought for sure if I unplugged all of my usb devices (including a usb hub and external hd), the issue would stop. It hasn’t, though it’s less laggy.

I figured if I could unplug them and see it fixed, I could just go buy a shielded cable and call it a day.

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I have read through the entire thread. I have a late 2012 Mac mini and have the issue. The issue has become worse more recently (dropout and constant lag).

I’ve tried:
- unplugging all of my usb cables
- moving the Mac mini around
- reset Bluetooth devices
- reset pram
-made sure WiFi is on 5g

After reading the thread, I thought for sure if I unplugged all of my usb devices (including a usb hub and external hd), the issue would stop. It hasn’t, though it’s less laggy.

I figured if I could unplug them and see it fixed, I could just go buy a shielded cable and call it a day.

No problems like that on my Mac-Mini (late 2012).
- Apple Bluetooth keyboard (old one, uses batteries)
- iHome Bluetooth 3.0 Mouse
- WiFi is unused ( using wired Ethernet instead) .

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
No problems like that on my Mac-Mini (late 2012).
- Apple Bluetooth keyboard (old one, uses batteries)
- iHome Bluetooth 3.0 Mouse
- WiFi is unused ( using wired Ethernet instead) .

Do you have any USB3 devices connected?
That is where the problem originates.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I have an Anker A7515 Powered USB-3.0 Hub connected . I connect various USB 2.0 and 3.0 drives, devices, and flash-drives to the Anker.

That's very similar to my setup. Maybe the solution is using a non-Apple mouse.
I don't notice any issue with the keyboard or other BT devices. The only one lagging is the Apple magic trackpad.

BTW, I have solved my problem with an external BT dongle situated by the monitor.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
My solution to the 2018 Mac mini Bluetooth issues is to, when it happens once or twice a week, fiddle with the on/off button on the Magic Trackpad for a couple of minutes, until finally the Bluetooth module seems to reset and I have a connection again. All while quietly swearing.

Yuck9

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
California
Wondering if 10.14.3 will address this?

10.14.6 and It is still doing it. I just bought one 2 days ago. I thought it was the 8gb of ram but Installed 32 and still doing it. Nothing plugged in the back and still doing it. I have the new Apple black wireless keyboard and it reports on screen that it disconnects then reconnects. Not good news that these posts are over a yr old and the problem is still here.

This Sucks.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
My solution to the 2018 Mac mini Bluetooth issues is to, when it happens once or twice a week, fiddle with the on/off button on the Magic Trackpad for a couple of minutes, until finally the Bluetooth module seems to reset and I have a connection again. All while quietly swearing.
I’ve been running my Magic Trackpad plugged into my 2014 mini for several months because of Bluetooth drops. For the last couple of months it does not wake up when I wake the mini from sleep; I have to unplug/replug the trackpad to get it it back. Can’t see how this is related to the Bluetooth problem though.

Yuck9

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
California
Ok, I bought my 2018 Mac Mini last week I5 8gb 512 I first thought this skipping with mouse was the 8gb of ram. I was not going to pay the 600 for the 32gb so I ordered 32gb from OWC and Installed it yesterday. The first thing I checked was the lag. Still there. That is when I followed a link to here. This got me thinking. So what I did was this, and I have no more problems.

When going inside the Mac to do the ram upgrade I see the black apple on top is made out of plastic with tape holding it on. That is where I thing the RF is coming from. Anyway, I have the Black Apple keyboard and a Logitech M720 on the bluetooth side. I changed to the dongle and same lag. Went back to bluetooth on the mouse.

I have a USB 3.0 hub so I plugged in ext cords to my ext USB 3 drive (SSD) a Drobo and a paper feeder scanner. With those devices about 6-8 feet from the Mac everything is working as it should. No more Lag or BT Dropouts. The USB 3.0 Hubs are wall powered they too are plugged into another wall outlet away from Mac.

To test I brought the USB Hub closer to the Mac and all hell broke loose. Moved it back and no more lag.

I think this all has to do with this black tape from the inside allowing the signal to leak from the top of unit. I would have never thought of that but after reading all on here I remembered making a comment to myself don't ever poke or place anything on top as it is just a thick piece of tape stuck on the inside. I don't have a problem with WiFi but my Amplifi mesh is 10 feet away and may or may not go to Cat 6. I would have to drill holes etc so not sure I'm ready for that. I just ordered some flat Cat 6 cable as I'm thinking I may be able to run it under the carpet. I live in a large condo complex and I see about 40 plus SSID on my list so I'm sure Cat6 would be better.

I'm going to test this some more for the next few days. Moving the cables around, etc.

I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 I don't feel this is a software problem but I would bet it's hardware from what I saw.

Good luck, I sure hope Apple fixes this but I have my doubts.

nanoant

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2015
Baden, Switzerland
Hello everyone,

I also want to share my experience with my MacMini 2018 with i7 and 512GB SSD. I bought this little fellow February this year, and from the beginning I was experiencing jumpy Magic Mouse behavior and random mouse and keyboard disconnects. As the time was running and I was adding more devices (MIDI stuff, cameras, USB hubs) to MacMini, the mouse became to move in completely unacceptable choppy stuttering way.
Unfortunately we become too much dependent on this device (and macOS) to return it to the store or wait for repair that might be not even possible in this case. I started looking for a solution, first blaming Intel built-in GPU as too weak drive my 4K screen, bad batteries and dirty battery contacts in Magic Mouse - but replacing batteries and cleaning contacts did not help. Almost bought new Magic Mouse, yeah almost paid Apple again!, but thank God I found this thread.

Instead I bought $20 Startech bluetooth dongle that has CSR chip supported out of the box by Mac. And now yes it works great! Mouse movement is finally butter smooth.

But this is modern Apple world... so things cannot be THAT easy or configurable. Plugging USB dongle in does not work - yes the device is recognized, but you need to use Bluetooth Explorer developer tool with its HCI host switch functionality to set the dongle as active Bluetooth host device. There is NO other way. And of course this selection is not preserved after the reboot. Because in Apple's wisdom, why anyone would want to use 3rd party bluetooth device instead of Apple flawlessMagicBluetooth(tm)! :mad:

At least sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always advertised on few sites as a way to make USB dongle preferred instead of built-in one did not work for me on Mojave 10.14.6. Simply after the reboot I had no connection with Apple's mouse & keyboard and I had to use extra USB keyboard/mouse to log in, just to see that built-in dongle was again active.

Obviously I filed a ticket to Apple, but I don't expect any solution as I did not get any for many many other ticket. No single word. What I expect is "closed as duplicate" as I got that for many other bugs I have reported, that were closed as duplicate, but linked bugs still remain unresolved.

Now going back to having Dongle active after the reboot, I had to do a little macOS programming exercise and additionally trace Bluetooth Explorer and its private API. All to create a little tool here:

https://github.com/nanoant/blueswitch

It ensures that your dongle is re-selected as active after the reboot. After wasting yet another 4 hours now I have functional MacMini mouse! Feel free to use it, share it, do whatever you want with these few lines of code and rattled off README. Just please don't ask me for details how to compile/use it as I am completely fed up with this subject :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: Almogos and c0ppo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.