Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
My Magic keyboard ($100) and by bluetooth headphones kept disconnecting. I watch Netflix at night, and need headphones not to disturb family. I was so frustrated with the mouse, I switched my bluetooth mouse to a dongle.
I plugged in an ethernet cable, and turned off WIFI. All Bluetooth issues disappeared.

Now Bluetooth works and this morning was the first time I did not have to re-identify my Apple Keyboard!

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Same issue here. Terribly wonky connectivity with my Magic Mouse 2 and Keyboard.

ed-hawco

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2009
Montreal, QC
I had Bluetooth issues with my new MacMini 2018 from the beginning. The new KB was mostly OK (occasional disconnect, but rarely) and the new Magic Trackpad 2 was mostly OK (occasional disconnect; more frequent than the KB, but not by much). However, my older Magic Mouse was unusable. It was constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, and was really jittery when it was connected. It was worse when an external drive (USB-3) was hooked up and in operation.

I tried all the usual things - securing the batteries, deleting the mouse preferences, etc. Some of those things would work for a few minutes but then the problem would come back. Finally I started thinking about my WiFi router. It's a pretty old Airport Extreme, single band, on 2.4GHz. I've been wanting to upgrade it anyway, so I got a new (non-Apple) dual band router and hooked it up.

End of Bluetooth problems. As long as I'm signed in to the 5GHz network, all devices work flawlessly. If I switch to the new router's 2.4 GHz band, it works OK for a while but soon starts to degrade again.

This is not intuitive. WTF does the Wifi band have to do with Bluetooth devices? Well, it's above my pay grade, but I do know that USB-3 works on 2.4 GHz, so somehow the Wifi using that band messes up some BT connections. Regardless of why, this solution worked for me. AFAIK most routers are dual band these days so you probably don't even need to buy a new one. Just make sure you have a network on 5GHz and use that.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I had Bluetooth issues with my new MacMini 2018 from the beginning. The new KB was mostly OK (occasional disconnect, but rarely) and the new Magic Trackpad 2 was mostly OK (occasional disconnect; more frequent than the KB, but not by much). However, my older Magic Mouse was unusable. It was constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, and was really jittery when it was connected. It was worse when an external drive (USB-3) was hooked up and in operation.

I tried all the usual things - securing the batteries, deleting the mouse preferences, etc. Some of those things would work for a few minutes but then the problem would come back. Finally I started thinking about my WiFi router. It's a pretty old Airport Extreme, single band, on 2.4GHz. I've been wanting to upgrade it anyway, so I got a new (non-Apple) dual band router and hooked it up.

End of Bluetooth problems. As long as I'm signed in to the 5GHz network, all devices work flawlessly. If I switch to the new router's 2.4 GHz band, it works OK for a while but soon starts to degrade again.

This is not intuitive. WTF does the Wifi band have to do with Bluetooth devices? Well, it's above my pay grade, but I do know that USB-3 works on 2.4 GHz, so somehow the Wifi using that band messes up some BT connections. Regardless of why, this solution worked for me. AFAIK most routers are dual band these days so you probably don't even need to buy a new one. Just make sure you have a network on 5GHz and use that.
I’m on 5Ghz. Does not fix the problem. There is more to this issue than just that. I agree it’s part of it. But I think it’s multifaceted.

ed-hawco

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2009
Montreal, QC
I’m on 5Ghz. Does not fix the problem. There is more to this issue than just that. I agree it’s part of it. But I think it’s multifaceted.

Fair enough. But the multi-faceted nature means there are multiple ways to fix it. All I'm saying is this is what worked for me. Another thing I didn't mention: I had placed a USB hub to the right of the Mac Mini, and that broke everything, including Wifi. There must be an antenna on that side of the machine. But removing that hub didn't fix the mouse problem. Only the router/network change did that. (And I admit I was surprised that simply switching the network completely fixed everything -- at least for me.)

Reactions: Daniva

b83

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
This is soooo incredibly frustrating.

My Wireless Mac Keyboard [MC184LL/A] cuts out every minute or so.

I was wondering if it's got anything to do with it being an older generation BT keyboard, but it seems people here are having issues with the new one too..

It's 2019.. This Sh*t shouldn't be happening on new devices!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've posted this before, but folks having problems with bluetooth should get a "USB extension cable" (male connector on one end and female on the other).
Then get a 3rd-party "bluetooth dongle".
Plug the extension cable in, and the dongle into it.
Configure the dongle end so it's "close to" your keyboard/mouse.
This will probably solve the issues. Won't cost much, either.

BEST way to solve 'em:
Use a WIRED keyboard and if you want a wireless mouse, use one that doesn't require bluetooth (such as the Logitech mice)...

Reactions: Fawkesguyy

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I've posted this before, but folks having problems with bluetooth should get a "USB extension cable" (male connector on one end and female on the other).
Then get a 3rd-party "bluetooth dongle".
Plug the extension cable in, and the dongle into it.
Configure the dongle end so it's "close to" your keyboard/mouse.
This will probably solve the issues. Won't cost much, either.

BEST way to solve 'em:
Use a WIRED keyboard and if you want a wireless mouse, use one that doesn't require bluetooth (such as the Logitech mice)...
That's great and all, but should we the customer really be doing all these workarounds? Shouldn't Apple fix what's broken instead? It's this kind of thing that lets companies off the hook when they are in the wrong. In order to make companies better we must band together and hold them accountable. Instead of desperately searching for all these workarounds, why don't we all get on the phone to Apple...?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"That's great and all, but should we the customer really be doing all these workarounds? Shouldn't Apple fix what's broken instead?"

Perhaps they should.
But I doubt that they will.
It is what it is.

"that is all..."

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
"That's great and all, but should we the customer really be doing all these workarounds? Shouldn't Apple fix what's broken instead?"

Perhaps they should.
But I doubt that they will.
That is what it is.

"that is all..."
That is a shame. I will do my part.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
no it's not...simplest way is USB extension or even better plugging the BT dongle to one of the USB ports of the hub of your monitor...
You do not know that Apple cannot fix this with an update. Many users are reporting that after calling Apple they are being told that the engineers are aware of this and will be fixing it via an update.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
I’ve had the same problems with my 2012 i7 quad core. Been thinking of getting a 2018 upgrade, but now I’ll wait. This should have been dealt with, especially with these high prices they’re charging. Get with it Timmo!

jpb02

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2019
France
Same problems here. Old magic mouse disconnecting very frequently. Bought a new magic mouse 2. Works better but occasionally, I have to reconnect with cable. More problems with an USB 3.0 hub with does not connect my old keyboard(Aukey 7 ports). I tried also to use an old SSD drive with a Thunderbolt adapter, it worked a while, then 20 or so disconnections and now it seems lost... I miss my old mac pro early 2008 !

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Texas
I think I’ve noticed interference from my iPad Pro - if I move it closer to my mini, the trackpad starts jumping; move it away and things settle down again. I’ll need to turn BT off on the iPad Pro and check again.

b83

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
My Keyboard isn't cutting out as much now that i am not using any of the USB-C ports...

I'll try the Bluetooth Dongle first as it's cheaper than a new keyboard.

FWIW i never had these issue on my 2012 machine.

Thanks for all those who have offered advice

Carlos51

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2017
Argentina
I used to have once a day bluetooth disconnects (both Apple Magic Trackpad 2 and keyboard), usually in the morning, since I received my Mac mini 2018 one week before Xmas time.
One week ago I charged those two input devices to 100% and presto, no more disconnects.
Magic Trackpad charge is now at 78%. Still have to see what happens when it drops below 50%.
Carlos

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
How could this be fixed via update?
I wouldn't mind, I just don't know how since it's supposed to be a technical issue, not a software one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.